314C 10 St NW
Calgary, AB T2N 1V8Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: CAN$31 to CAN$50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.lavadining.ca/
- Phone: (403) 283-8608
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday-Thursday: 5pm - 10pm
Friday: 5pm - 11pm
Saturday: 11am - 11pm
Sunday: 11am - 9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French, Asian
- Executive Chef: Jason Chen
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), View, Weekend Brunch, Wine
A word from Lava Dining
Combining the best of French and Asian cuisine, Lava Dining strives to bring you fine dining in a casual and economic experience. From basic pickled vegetables and breads, to the more complicated pastas and sausages and meats, a majority of our ingredients are homemade in order to give you the freshest and the highest quality food we can while also delivering the passion of our chefs to your taste bud. Using only the best, the freshest seasonal products, each dish is guaranteed to impress.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
Lava Dining - Best Restaurants in Kensington ›
Lava Dining reviews from OpenTable diners
40 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (28)fit for foodies (27)good for groups (19)special occasion (17)great for brunch (10)great for lunch (7)romantic (6)hot spot (5)kid-friendly (4)vibrant bar scene (2)late-night find (2)great for outdoor dining (1)notable wine list (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- Nov. 9/14 Anniversary DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/9/2014Found this new entry through open table in our neighbourhood as a special occasion dinner out, prior to concert. Reservation @ 5PM on a Sunday, prior to 7PM concert. Perfect timing, wouldn't have wanted it any later. Of course, it was quiet, only 1 other group came in during our dinner. Eclectic menu, with many intriguing offers. Both wife & I enjoyed our meals - mussels a touch to hot (peppery), and the gnocchi main was too salty. Otherwise a great addition to our neighbourhood, and hope they make it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great new spotyumyumyumDined on 10/28/2014The server was more than happy to accommodate meal restrictions and evendors had the kitchen create a new gluten free, vegetarian dish to offer us as a special for the evening. Though the menu is small, we were satisfied and impressed with the food we received. It was not busy when we were there for a pre show dinner, and the noise level was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice touch!FoodieWanabeDined on 10/26/2014We ordered the stuffed perogies for appetizers and it was yummy although we would have preferred a crispier piece of bacon. The bacon was tasteless and greasy. For our mains, we had the burger with fries and duo duck. The burger was an explosion in our mouths. Very tender and great flavours. The duo duck was not as exciting and the highlight was the bed of barley which was very flavourful. We also appreciated the birthday array of treats that the kitchen put out for my husband. They were all delicious. Thank you for a pleasant and delicious evening.Special Features:
- In need or appreciationMd75Dined on 10/14/2014It was good. We will come back sooner than later. Too bad that the restaurant isn't well known.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic experience!koolDined on 10/1/2014We went to Lava Dining for the first time to taste the Duck Onion pizza, since it was YYC pizza week. What a phenomenal creation!! Using green onion cake as the base layer was genius!! And the duck on top was delicious. We also tasted the lobster poutine - to die for!! Much more lobster than we imagined we would get. And the caramel bread pudding was truly remarkable, especially for someone who doesn't usually like bread pudding. It was recommended by the staff and boy, am I glad I went with it! Would definitely, definitely go back. Great atmosphere and service, too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unique and tasty dishesKatie412Dined on 9/28/2014I'm a bit of a foodie so I was excited to try something new. Our server suggested we try one of their specialty cocktails. We had the strawberry sawa and lychee mojito, both were very tasty! We started with the thai chilli calamari and the albacore tuna salad. The calamari was seared, not fried, and it had the perfect amount of spice VS sweet. The tuna salad was my favourite dish of the evening. Simple, delicious tuna over beets and greens, amazing. My halibut entree was perfectly cooked and beautifully plated, and my partner really enjoyed the (massive!) rib eye with cheesy mashed potatoes. Our server was very attentive and knowledgable and told us they are unveiling a fall menu sometime in October - I'll surely be back to try it!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 9/27/2014Heard great reviews, but not to my liking. Sweet, but overly in your face staff, standard appetizer tray, not a special experience. Just standard. Good enough. Not great.
- Wonderful!!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/24/2014My husband and I went for our anniversary dinner the food was outstanding we had the four course meal- rib eye - cooked to perfection! Our server made us feel so welcome and made our night very special. They also surprised us with a sampling of pastries and a Happy Anniversary note on piece of decadent chocolate. We will definitely be going back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Decent bistro mealshrinkwrapVIPDined on 9/21/2014Solid French bistro effort. Three or four course menu options were available for a reasonable price with decent choices for each course.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent food!!!!!cyehDined on 9/7/2014I was having a good time in Lava dinning with my family celebrating my birthday. their food is very good. I can enjoy Asian and French food togather in this amazing place. for sure I will go there again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place for lunchFoodieatfiftyDined on 8/30/2014I went with my daughter and daughter in law. Really enjoyed the meal white asparagus soup and chicken bacon on chibotta .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious & CreativefoodiealexDined on 8/29/2014I really enjoyed eating in Lava Dining! I love the combination of French and Asian, the food was very different from what I had eaten before! The lamb rack was so tender and juicy, I liked the idea of putting edmame with the lamb, it seemed like they were two very different things, but they matched really well! I will come back to try out more food in Lava dining!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unique and delicate foodCdnEveDined on 8/28/2014On a week night, I decided to try this new restaurant at Kensington with my boyfriend. The restaurant environment was very different from others. The black and white contrast gave the restaurant a modern look but with the wall showing the sketches of animal parts brought a casual feeling that warmed you up. The server greeted us genuinely and gave us a quick rundown of the daily special. We decided to have a light meal; therefore, we shared a salad, steak and dessert. The Asian bouquet was fresh with well balanced dressing. The steak was perfectly cooked and the mash potato was creamy and delicious. Both of us were pretty full after the meal. We will definitely recommend Lava Dining to our friends.Special Features:
- Awesome food, great service!EnjoyinglifeDined on 8/27/2014I ordered the thai chili calamari and ratatouille and papardelle, they were really delicious! The thai chili calamari wasn't deep fried, it was very different from other restaurants, it was very refreshing, I really enjoyed eating it! The ratatouille and papardelle was very delicious, and I was very stuffed after finishing my meal! My server was very friendly and nice. I will definitely come back to try out more things in lava dining!Special Features:
- NicknameDined on 8/17/2014Menu selection for dinner is limited but the food is good.Special Features:
- seems simple but not simpleDizzyPierreDined on 8/13/2014the foie gras terrine is amazing, so smooth and rich after taste. The rib eye is a must try, it seems like a simple rib steak, the demi-glace sauce bring out strong and rich beef taste, i really love it!Special Features:
- very small portionsgrumblytummyDined on 8/8/2014Very small portions, left hungry and went to another restaurant to finish eating.
- The following 5 reviews are from the Lava Dining reviews archive.
- Worth visitingtroutchaserDined on 7/30/2014A little tucked out of the way on 10th Street but well worth the visit. The halibut was done to perfection and the presentation was exceptional. Nice wine pairing choices to boot. We have recommended Lava Dining to all of our friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Basic plain casual diningsmittyDined on 7/26/2014Lava was nothing special. Food was okay but basic. Basically an off the street restuarant and bar. Service was fine but dress was street casula by staff. Bar in background was loud. Okay for a quick bite but not for a date night or recommendation to friends.
- Awesome Food - Poor Street PresenceAnonVIPDined on 7/24/2014The pork belly and duck confit tacos are amazing. All the appetizers (Muscles with Chorizo and Sautéed Calamari Salad) were outstanding. Steak and roasted duck were fantastic. Mashed potatoes with herbs are worth the trip alone. The store front is hidden but, do not let this deter you as it does not reflect on the quality of what's inside. Service was great also.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Started out very good... but then-RitzyDined on 7/24/2014Excellent server, a really decent wine and the tuna salad and the calamari starter were wonderful. Halibut was well cooked but did not all like the salty noodles/miso with the halibut. Both the front staff and kitchen were very accommodating in providing another option. I will give the restaurant another chance - it is so pretty and was also very clean. Our server was awesome.
- Raises bar in KensingtonGussyBearVIPDined on 7/17/2014Couldn't face another evening of burgers and fries, and shouting over Midtown's always too-loud sound system so we were happy to find Lava Dining. Oddly shaped building cramped the front entry, but interior was spacious, elegant with contemporary, muted tones. Happy hour runs 4-8. Nice list of inventive cocktails. Small, well-chosen wine list. Food was artfully presented. 3 delicious sushi sliders $14: Crispy tempura of sushi rice discs filled with savoury, cool tuna tartare. Miso broth with bokchoy and tofu was delish but small for $7. Standard Momofuku-style buns with pork belly (of course), duck confit, braised beef. Friendly, competent service. Nice addition to Kensington dining scene that sees too many pubs and coffee shops.Special Features: