L'Auberge Chez Francois
332 Springvale Road
Great Falls, VA 22066Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $50 and over
L'Auberge Chez Francois
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.laubergechezfrancois.com/
- Phone: (703) 759-3800
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Saturday: 11:30am - 1:30pm, Sunday: 12:00pm - 3:00pm; Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm, Saturday: 4:30pm - 9:30pm, Sunday: 12:00pm - 7:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French
- Executive Chef: Jacques E. Haeringer
- Dress Code: Jacket Preferred
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from L'Auberge Chez Francois
Travellers in the beautiful Alsatian countryside, seek out "auberge", the little family inns that dot the roadsides, to eat well and enjoy the scenery. They know they will find fine food and glowing spirits, at an excellent value. Welcome to L"Auberge Chez François, our French country inn a short distance from the nation's capital, nestled among lush woods and fragrant gardens, that has captivated visitors for over 50 years. L'Auberge Chez François is the ideal spot to celebrate special moments, private parties,luncheons, weddings and cooking demonstrations. Our menu is extensive and full of the flavors of Alsace and traditional French cuisine. Excellent food and service, attention to detail and a casually elegant atmosphere are hallmarks that have made L'Auberge Chez François a Washington favorite. We sincerely hope that you will enjoy your visit with us. Jacques Brasserie at L'Auberge is open Tues-Sat,5-9:00PM,Sunday 3-7:30PM. Reservations for Jacques' Brasserie via phone only!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
L'Auberge Chez Francois - Best Restaurants in Great Falls ›
L'Auberge Chez Francois reviews from OpenTable diners
439 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.8Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (393)romantic (316)fit for foodies (271)notable wine list (200)great for outdoor dining (157)neighborhood gem (137)great for lunch (114)scenic view (81)good for groups (74)great for brunch (63)hot spot (13)kid-friendly (10)late-night find (7)vibrant bar scene (3)Show More
- Great restaurant!LorettaDined on 11/16/2014I had heard about this lovely restaurant from a friend, and I was looking for an upscale restaurant to treat other friends to say "thanks" for lending us your house in France this past month, and we and they loved it. We had a relaxing dinner over a 3 hour time span, something you don't often find in restaurants today where they want you "in and out" as quickly as possible and sometimes bring the next course while you are still working on a course. I'd recommend L'Auberge to friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- L'Augerge as good as ever!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/16/2014We've been going to L'Auberge for over two decades, and despite the passage of Patron and Founder Francois, the quality of the food, service and ambiance has not dipped under the watchful eye of his son Jacques. Celebrated a major wedding anniversary, and the meal was excellent, and memorable, as always.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wesailanddineVIPDined on 11/16/2014We had reservations for a group of 6 for a birthday brunch, which turned into 7. The staff could not have been more gracious. Excellent service, excellent food, and actually a bargain for how much food you get for the entree price (starter, house salad, entree, basic dessert) several in our party chose the add-in options. The food was excellently prepared and very attractively plated.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really enjoyable Sunday brunchOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/16/2014Just had a really pleasant 6 course Sunday Brunch. The four of us each selected different main courses: lamb, sole, mussels, and beef. Each was well prepared with excellent presentation. As usual, service was exceptional; always there the instant you need anything, but almost invisible otherwise. Oh and I love their location: the drive through the winding road is a great preparation for an enjoyable and memorable brunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedKittyDined on 11/15/2014Usually this is an excellent restaurant. It was a dissapointment this trip. Our biggest issue was with the waiter. He was certainly nice, but we could not communicate effectively with him. Althought he spoke English, his accent was so strong we could notmake out much of what he was saying. Please don't take this the wrong way, but this is NOT acceptable for a meal that costs over $80 per person. Also, my husbands portion of the lobster that he ordered was very skimpy, and my meal seemed to have sat a while before served. At the end of the meal, I ordered coffee and the waiter poured me one cup and took off with the little pot. He then never returned for a refill. He seemed to loose interest in us once other parties started arriving. Usually everything is delicious, but this time it was not up to par. I am reluctant to make another reservation anytime soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Best in Washington D.C.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/13/2014From the French Country ambience in the parking lot, to the excellent service and multi course meal, this is the best restaurant in the entire DC metropolitan region. We started with Lobster Bisque, Caesar Salad and several surprises from the chef between courses. Both the soup and salad were more flavorful than most other restaurants, as well as being displayed in an excellent fashion. We both had the Rainbow Trout, excellent, and pre-ordered Chocolate Souffle, as it needs about 25 minutes to prepare. Excellent food, excellent service. About $250 for a couple.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PapaVIPDined on 11/13/2014An outstanding place to dine. Always excited to go there. It's winter now so the outside dining is done, but wait until next year.Special Features:
- We love this restaurant so much we go every monthHarryMargaretDined on 11/12/2014Another great meal. We enjoyed the out doors for lunch. Now we're indoors and another great lunchSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Caloric DelightJonZvuDined on 11/11/2014This was a second visit in a very short time, done, I think to verify that they first was as marvelous as our memories seemed to make it. Well, as they say, things change over time, and they did...the site, service and food was better. Just two of us and we spent three hours in conversation enhanced by a smoothly paced food and drink delivery. On this visit we shared the appetizer (oysters on the half shell) and salad (shrimp) while attending to individual entree's wrapped up with a shared chocolate soufflé' that yes, was a step or two beyond fantastically good. Coffee, wine and vodka martinis were excellent. The chef's "compliments" included a pea soup that quieted our talking while we devised ways to remove all traces of the contents from the provided cup without resorting to running our fingers around the inside surface. This is much more than just a dining experience. One caution. It's mid fall and night arrives quickly. The road is a two lane, winding with woodlands quite close. Be very careful of the deer. Impacting one could spoil much more than just the evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- L'Auberge does not disappointTFY1Dined on 11/9/2014Haven't been to L'Auberge Chez Francois for several years. It transcends all trends and focuses, instead, on really matters: excellent cooking, perfect ambiance and first rate service. Portions, as always, were generous. My veal chop was excellent and matched by the dry, crisp, acidic Riesling. The chocolate souffle w/ a glass of Sauternes was the perfect way to transport me home through the chilly evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Super Evening8enufDined on 11/9/2014The food is excellent, the service is star quality, and the people are delightful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful for a special occassionOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/8/2014This lovely restaurant was classy and welcoming. We showed up 15 minutes prior to our reservation time, but they were ready to seat us. It was our anniversary, so they gave us an additional dessert on the house, on top of our already 6 course meal. It was expensive, but not outrageous for the quality and quantity of food we received. My meal had everything from lobster to veal to lamb in it. My husband got quail and venison. Overall, our bill ended up being about $266 including the tip. We left in a food coma, and had to bring some food home with us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 35th Wedding AnniversaryMIAIADDined on 11/8/2014L'Auberge Chez Francois has been our go-to place for special occasions over the years. We have celebrated many birthdays, anniversaries and retirement dinners there. The food is outstanding, the ambiance memorable and we always feel like the most special couple in the room. It is consistently terrific ~ food, wine and service always the very best. We plan to celebrate many more special occasions at this wonderful restaurant.Special Features:
- Great food & Service but noisyEatwellDined on 11/8/2014Overall enjoyable but we were troubled by the noise of an adjacent group tableSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RickyD488Dined on 11/8/2014We enjoy the quiet, beautiful countryside in which the restaurant is nestled and find the staff to be warm and friendly, making every effort to ensure the evening is memorable. The service is discreet, caring and well-timed. The beef cheeks are superb, so meltingly tender that knives are unnecessary (terrific on a chilly autumn or winter night). The seafood is always fresh and perfectly cooked & seasoned. We usually order from their delicious assortment of cakes, however recently we tried the baked Alaska and found the ice cream within to be quite hard. In future visits we're likely to return to tried and true favorites, such as the hazelnut cake. We've come here many times over the years and look forward to our next visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another Great Meal!MarionDined on 11/8/2014L'Auberge consistently provides great food, service and ambiance. Whether in the garden in summer or by the fire on a late fall day, it is always a pleasurable experience.Special Features:
- Good Food NightETNOUTDined on 11/5/2014The service was excellent. The staff was very attentive. The food was good but I have had better for the price.Special Features:
- Memories MadeladieswholunchDined on 11/5/2014Twelve friends had a wonderful lunch! We go each year and once again we were spoiled with fine service and an excellent fixed price lunch with many delicious choices! A treat to be remembered!Special Features:
- Always a great place!LuvgoodfoodDined on 11/2/2014I love the atmosphere, the food, the service... still one of my "go to" places for any event. I am a real foodie and I am never disappointed!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/2/2014Formal yet relaxed. Every entree we've tried has been excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 11/2/2014LOOOOVED Chez Francois. Have been to many restaurants - French and otherwise, though French could be my favorite, and L'Auberge Chez Francois is at the top of the list. Thank you for a wonderful Sunday afternoon.Special Features:
- An Exceptional mealSabaBobDined on 11/1/2014We went to L'Auberge Chez Francois for a birthday celebration. The food and service were simply exceptional and we had a wonderful evening. Eric B was our waiter and he was great. I highly recommend the restaurant.Special Features:
- Fine French DiningTexas2someDined on 10/31/2014This quaint restaurant makes for an amazing dining experience. The service is impeccable and the food is delectable and plentiful. While it was tempting to ask for another helping of their home-baked bread, I'm glad we didn't do it! You'll want to leave plenty of room for the main course ... and dessert! Be prepared for a memorable dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect for special occasions!oenophileDined on 10/29/2014This was my 3rd time at L'Auberge Chez Francois and it did not disappoint! My parents and I went here for my 25th birthday last week, and enjoyed a simply marvelous meal paired with a delicious wine from their extremely extensive menu. My only disappointment was the slight ageism that was directed my way, as I look younger than my years. Aside from that, everything was, in a word, perfection. I highly recommend this restaurant for any type of special occasion; it is good for small, intimate groups as well as with your date/significant other. My favorite Virginia restaurant!Special Features:
- Always fantasticCinDCDined on 10/29/2014Every time I come back to the DC area, I make a point to go to L'Auberge. Saddened to hear that Francois passed, but his sons are carrying on the tradition with aplomb.Special Features:
- Anniversary celebrationFoodfriendDined on 10/29/2014We have dined here several times before but not recently. We have always had a great experience. The food and service were superb as they always have been. My wife and I both ordered the special appetizer and I orders the entree special. Everything was delicious. Our server was very attentive.Special Features:
- foodloverDined on 10/29/2014Outstanding food, ambiance and service. Probably the best lunch we ever had in the Washington area. We can not wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- disapointeddisapointedDined on 10/28/2014Restaurant not up to its own standards this visit. Waiter recommended a fish special then 5 mins later told not available which disappointed two of four of us. Our waiter always a little late with service again not that bad but not up to this restaurants standards finally one of four meals was not very good steak was dry. Given the cost makes me think I may not go bac,Special Features:
- Loved the placeburbooshDined on 10/26/2014I love French cuisine, and this restaurant is at the top of my list now, even though the prix fixe is quite expensive. I will leave it for special occasions! The courses are extensive and we barely could finish the dessert, which we now regret not finishing! Will be back.Special Features:
- DELICIOUS FOODOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/26/2014Always enjoy celebrating special occasions here. The courses, spread out, make the meal so enjoyable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- As always, OUTSTANDING!yankeedoodleDined on 10/26/2014I love coming here for a gracious and leisurely lunch/brunch. Great way to spend an afternoon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WonderfulMoberndorfDined on 10/25/2014My wife and I celebrated our second anniversary with a dinner at L'Auberge Chez Francois. It was wonderful. From the setting to the food to the service, it all came together seamlessly and made for a memorable night. We will be back again before too long. This place is at the top of my restaurant list, which includes the nearby D.C. Restaurant scene and the "hot now" places of the day.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Favoite P;aceMontyDined on 10/25/2014One of our favorite restaurants, We always feel welcome here. Outstanding food, staff and ambiance!!!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/25/2014The food is always delicious! The meat was melting in your mouth. Excellent restaurant!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another phenomenal experiencealexDined on 10/24/2014L'Auberge never disappoints. The only complaint is that the beef cheeks is not an entree.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- knitoneVIPDined on 10/24/2014We love this place. Special occasion wonderful service. We ask for Pat. Too much to eat so we always have leftovers to take home.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful LunchElaineDined on 10/24/2014La Auberge Chez Francois did not used to have lunch when I lived in the DC metro area several years ago. I visited the week of Oct 20, 2014, and took 2 travelling companions to lunch. It was wonderful. The food was delicious, the surroundings beautiful, and the service was excellent. This is one of my all time favorite restaurants.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- superlative in all waysmargyVIPDined on 10/23/2014As usual, all the food was divine, and beautifully and efficiently served. A nearby waiter even greeted us remembering an earlier visit.Special Features:
- Always wonderfulHamptoniteDined on 10/19/2014After coming here for special occasions for at least 30 years, L'Auberge does not fail to please all sensibilities. The food, wine and ambiance are consistently wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mostly a wonderful experience....loveeatingVIPDined on 10/19/2014However we were celebrating our 35th anniversary and our server was less than par for this restaurant. We have been celebrating our big milestones here for over 25 years. This year, food was great but our server seemed rushed. At dessert time she put the candle in front of my husband and said with a big smile, "Happy birthday!". When I said anniversary she said "yes anniversary", did an about face and walked away. My husband moved the dessert to the middle of the table. Not 10 minutes later a different server made a lovely presentation to another couple who were also celebrating an anniversary. Food was great, wine steward was knowledgeable, and setting is lovely. It's amazing how little attention to detail can mar an experience.Special Features: