Latz's By The Bay
801 Bay Ave.
Somers Point, NJ 08244Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Latz's By The Bay
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.latzsbythebay.com/
- Phone: (609) 788-8838
- Hours of Operation:
Creperie&Breakfast: Saturday-Sunday: 11:00am - 2:00pm;
Lunch: Wednesday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:00pm;
Wednesday - Friday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm,
Saturday: 5:30pm - 9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American, Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access
- Private Party Facilities: Private parties up to fifty can be accommodated. Either a la carte or buffet menus can be created to suit any type of event.
- Private Party Contact: Andrew Latz 6097888838x
A word from Latz's By The Bay
Four generations ago the Latz family arrived at the South Jersey beach colony. Since then they have passionately operated restaurants and created a culinary environment which has delighted millions of visitors to the Jersey shore. Latz"s is based on an organic and sustainable philosophy. It is American cuisine at its best using freshly caught seafood, grass fed meat and the finest of locally grown produce. The vintage 19th century cottage offers diners water views as well as a charming garden complete with a babbling water fountain. No trip to Latz's would be complete without a tasting of one of their freshly baked desserts. Latz's is a BYOB with a menu selection that will compliment any wine or spirit that one may bring. No trip to the shore is complete with a visit to Latz's in Somers Point.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Latz's By The Bay reviews from OpenTable diners
96 reviews since July 28, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (41)special occasion (39)neighborhood gem (38)romantic (29)great for outdoor dining (18)scenic view (15)good for groups (14)great for lunch (11)great for brunch (7)kid-friendly (2)hot spot (2)notable wine list (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Dining at Latz's By The BaysamsungDined on 11/22/2014Service was very good and we were seated immediately. We also liked the menu , good selections without too many items to choose from. It was quiet for most of the meal but got a little noisy before we left. The four of us ordered different selections and they were all very good. We didn't mind bringing our own wine because we could have our favorite that way and it keeps the cost down. Prices were reasonable. We will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Gem on the Bay!AFanDined on 11/20/2014A wonderful, intimate environment. Fresh and delicious food. Beautifully appointed with sparkling windows. The staff brings me back, again and again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AnniversaryDined on 11/15/2014The overall experience was disappointing....but the waitress was very nice and answered all of our questions. no need to return!
- ExcellantnamelessVIPDined on 11/13/2014A little to noisy but it was crowded. Food was perfect. Ice tea weak. Wear a warm sweater as the cold air blows in the door as people come and go.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant weekFoodie1Dined on 11/8/2014We had previously visited this restaurant and loved it. When we went this week we had no idea it was restaurant week but the menu looked good so we ordered from it. The food tasted like it was mass produced it was horrible. On leave we complained to the owner who really didn't seem the least but interested.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/7/2014Visited during restaurant week and was disappointed in the quality of the food. The dining room was crowed and seating was uncomfortable.
- Pleasantly surprisedTriciaVIPDined on 11/7/2014We went to Latz for Restaurant Week and had a very good meal. Both of us were a bit surprised as we had looked at the restaurant several years ago and were not impressed. Our little dining nook was perfect. Tea was different and very good, but prices were quite steep (not sure I would pay that again). Our server, Gerry, was attentive (always there when something was needed). We would go back again when we want to splurge or just wait for the next Restaurant Week.Special Features:
- This trip was for the TeaSuzegalVIPDined on 11/6/2014The meals and ambiance downstairs are wonderful,but this time we went for the Tea upstairs. There are many teas to choose from. There is soup or salad, then scones, small sandwiches and desserts. For smaller appetites, there are choices with less food. The server is knowledgeable and efficient. The surroundings are so pretty that they compete with the view of the water visible from the front windows. Everything is pleasant and perfectly thought out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday dinnerPookieDined on 10/25/2014A fantastic evening celebrating 2 family birthdays! All six of us thoroughly enjoyed our meals...and we all had different entrees!!!!! BYOB made it nice ..plus that helped save a little on the cost! Service was terrific!!!! Will definitely recommend to friends and we will most certainly go back!!!!!!Special Features:
- SharonDined on 10/25/2014This is a very nice, clean, attractive restaurant that I really like. This time there was a very loud obnoxious group which I thought was just too loud and annoying. We split two dinners. The filet, potatoes and vegetable were very good. The pasta special with shrimp and vegetables not so much. The shrimp were small and only a few were in the dish. It was very bland and tasteless, the extra salt, pepper and cheese helped but it took a long time before the server came by to ask if the food was acceptable. The server was also not up to the standard of the usual servers. She also mixed up the checks - she needs some training and guidance.Special Features:
- Very good, will definitely go backOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/18/2014First time visit, good food, nice atmosphere. Service was good too. We have driven by there so many times and never stopped. Glad we did. We will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tea was lovely at Latz'ssassynjDined on 10/18/2014Had a lovely afternoon enjoying tea. The food was exceptional. I recommend the ultimate tea, plentiful and if you can't finish it all you can bring the rest home. The savories were my favorite. They offer a nice selection of teas. The atmosphere is relaxing and the service is on point. Get together with old friends and enjoy a memorable afternoon at Latz's By The Bay.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Way to Start a SundayYumYumEatemUpDined on 10/12/2014While not great this restaurant is solid across the board. Lovely room in a bayside setting. Food was really good. Standard omelet with potatoes for the wife and an awesome salad with a perfectly cooked piece of salmon for me. I think the server was relatively new but given we are just entering the off season not a surprise. Last but not least I'm a coffee nut. The cup here was excellent. I meant to ask what brand they were brewing. We'll be back!Special Features:
- A Jersey Shore GemLaura856Dined on 10/12/2014This was our first time visiting and it was perfect in every way. We went for Sunday brunch (Creperie) and everything from the food to the service to the ambiance - was wonderful. The quiche is delicious (by far our favorite) and the crepes were very good too. The homemade scones were out of this world - and perfectly pared with clotted cream and different citrus curds. We loved our Scottish waiter (also the scone baker) - he was very friendly and helpful. The restaurant itself is absolutely adorable - a cute white/sage green house - which is bright, sunny, and cozy. I will definitely return - and will be trying their Tea at the Top. Highly recommend!Special Features:
- From start to finishSteveDined on 9/24/2014Entered the beautiful, homey restaurant and was greeted and seated by the owner in a small alcove in the back. Our waiter Craig promptly attended to us and continued to do so through out the meal. It is a BYOB and we got our set ups immediately which is somewhat rare in this area for BYOB. Ordered the oyster 3 way for an app and it was well prepared and came out promptly. I ordered the duck and my wife the salmon. Both dishes were very good. We found our waiter was not only a waiter but a pastry chef as well. We had a lemon, chocolate dessert that was out of this world. Great place. We will return. Highly recommend.Special Features:
- FoodFan18VIPDined on 9/12/2014Always like Latz's because of its fresh food. Homemade salad dressing was wonderful. Fish was fresh as were other dishes. Owner is onsite all the time and watching out for the diners.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very memorable mealLovetodineVIPDined on 9/12/2014My husband and I were in the area for a getaway weekend. We wanted to eat at a nice place and what a gem of a place it is. Our waitress was Shy, she was wonderful. Very friendly and very professional. For dinner we both decided on the Shrimp Scampi. The best Shrimp Scampi we ever had! Kudos to the Chef! Thank you for a wonderful dining experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spot at the shorePhillyGirlVIPDined on 9/12/2014Great BYO restaurant, perfect table, food was delicious and the service was attentive. I couldn't have asked for more. I'll be back this week.Special Features:
- Lovely find by the BayVentnoroseDined on 9/6/2014We picked because availability on a Saturday night on OPEN TABLE! The place is delightful, a old cottage but new, beautiful woodwork, lovely hardwood floors, orchids on every table. The restaurant is small and in the winter would probably quite romantic but was noisy this end of summer Saturday night. We were seated immediately. The views out the window show the Bay and we were treated to a lightening show outside as we dined! We didn't know it was BYOB, but no matter, friendly table next to us offered some of their wine! The mussels in saffron broth looked delicious, our corn cake delightful; dinners come with salads; my bronzino was delicious with a butter sauce/capers; fresh asparagus and rice or potatoes accompanied the meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great RestaurantCosmoDined on 9/5/2014This was our first visit and were really impressed. My husband especially loved the crab soup. We will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Slow Kitchen/disinterested waitressHerbiejackVIPDined on 9/2/2014A beautiful restaurant with a diverse menu Our only complaint was the service Very slow Soft shell crabs and lobster tail when they finally arrived at our table were fresh and tasty Our waitress was unapologetic and seemingly preoccupied She even neglected to tell us about included salads.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely eveningcarelle214VIPDined on 8/31/2014Had not been to this restaurant all summer. Heard it was good, but was never able to get in. It was a very busy night, but everything was handled well.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Change of paceAnonVIPDined on 8/30/2014Latz's is a change of pace from the typical shore dining. If you can dine in the garden, it is a nice, quiet atmosphere. And, a nice quiet atmosphere is nice when it takes over an hour to get entrees. The waitress was rude, and blamed the wait on the holiday weekend rush. When the food finally came out, not all dishes were served at the appropriate temperature. It was not worth complaining because we had already waited so long, and been told that the kitchen was slammed. Even the sides, rice and asparagus, came out cold on one of the plates. The garden setting, and Dairy Queen for dessert salvaged the evening.Special Features:
- DisappointedAnniebVIPDined on 8/29/2014We should have paid attention to the negative reviews as Latz's was a disappointment. Also, we should not have to ask to have our table wiped clean in-between courses.
- Latz by the BayOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/28/2014Lovely little spot w great food. Cozy outdoor space staff great. Would definitely make a return dining experienceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very enjoyable!Eat2pleaseVIPDined on 8/26/2014Delicious food and beautiful setting. In addition to a well appointed dining room they have a great courtyard in the back for outdoor dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very noisy-food hit and miss.AllanPDined on 8/24/2014It was like an assault on my sentences when we entered the restaurant. It made the dining experience very unpleasant--could barely hear the waiter. Shrimp scampi was very good but the crab cakes were bland and tasteless. The waiter seemed new and inexperienced and was slow and missed a few requests until reminded again. The only salad dressing which was called citrus vinaigrette was a heavy balsamic vinaigrette. The bread was room temperature soft white bread typical of a diner as was the salad dressing.
- Over Rated & Over PricedmandownDined on 8/23/2014My wife and I decided to celebrate our 1 year anniversary down the shore. We decided to stay close to where we were staying. We were greeted with a warm welcome and the staff was able to get us a table a half hour before our reservation time. I had the Key Lime Lobster & a Crab Cake with macadamia rice . The lobster was very tough, the crab cake was very dry and the rice was dry & very bland. My wives pork chop looked great but lacked flavor. We hoped to salvage the night out with dessert, I had the Lemon Pie & she had the Creme Brûlée. The lemon pie was very good but the chocolate crust didn't appeal to me & her Creme Brûlée was just fair. Considering it was $125.00 before tip & no drinks, the night was a bust. The staff was very nice.
- Anniversary DinnerdelhawkDined on 8/23/2014We chose Latz's from the description on DO/AC and were not disappointed. We went to celebrate our 45th wedding anniversary and had a nice experience. The bouillabaisse and salmon were excellent as was the service. No desserts as we were stuffed from the main course. Well worth the cost and we would return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- would not go backBeachgoerVIPDined on 8/22/2014Didn't love this restaurant. Thought it was very loud. Where we sat condensation was dripping on my dads head from the AC. Nothing for younger kids. The ice tea was a rip off at 4$. Desserts were fair. Won't go backSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/22/2014We went for tea and it was absolutely wonderful. It was a delicious, pleasant experience. The food was excellent, the service was very good and the ambience is very nice. It is a wonderful place for tea and we will try it for dinnerSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our go to choice at the shorelove2dine2Dined on 8/21/2014Excellent food and service - as always! Varied menu and our party of 6 (including 3 kids ages 6-13) raved about their choices. Best meal of our week at the shore.Special Features:
- Not as good as in the pastweedgeDined on 8/19/2014We were not greeted upon entering. Hostess was on the phone talking. I was going to wait till call ended, but it did not. She never took our name for reservation, walked away from us and headed to a table. I was not sure I was to follow. She never said,hello, good evening, welcome, nothing...bad start with guests from out of town. Mr. Latz would not have liked. Crab cakes also not good. Too much filler for a lovely restaurant who usually serves good seafood. Salad was good and so was the bread. Two diners had the crab so that was not good.Special Features:
- Enjoyable eveningNonnaDined on 8/19/2014We had dinner with friends who were also vacationing inOcean City. We enjoyed the atmosphere and everyone enjoyed their dinner. The food here is excellent and the menu had something for everyone. We will definitely come back next yearSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- disappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/16/2014we ate at this restaurant several times in 2013 and enjoyed the food, service and evening...and was looking forward to that same experience. UNFORTUNATELY the place was so loud you couldn't hear the waitress present the specials nor hold and conversation within our party of FOUR! AND, the service and food were just average at best!
- Enjoyable mealFinedinerDined on 8/14/2014Dined on a Thursday evening and sat outside in the garden which was delightful. BYOB was a nice feature - after reviewing the menu, we decided to bring a rose. Service was attentive but relaxed. Menu was mostly seafood. We had the seared tuna and boulabaise which were good, but not great. Portions were large and the entree came with a starter salad which was nice and a good size. I would go back again.Special Features:
- Salad Love!!!CarolynVIPDined on 8/13/2014Loved the Strawberry Arugula salad!!! It was excellent!!!
- Foodie2VIPDined on 8/12/2014Charming atmosphere as if you are in someone's beachside home. My coconut shrimp had wonderful flavor but the reading was heavy handed. The broth in the steamed clams was too salty.. The dipping olive oil for the bread was outstanding. Service was professional.
- over ratedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/10/2014We went here based on good reviews and what we found was a mediocre restaurant. Very disappointed and over priced.
- Girls WeekendGirlsWeekendDined on 8/9/2014Wanted a BYOB for our annual girls weekend. This was suggested by a friend, we were a group of 8 and dinner was at 9:00 pm. Although they ran out of dinner sides and had to substitute, this will happen when eating late in a restaurant. No worries all was good. Had soft shell crabs and I was in heaven! We all had great dinners! would go backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.