Latz's By The Bay
801 Bay Ave.
Somers Point, NJ 08244Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Latz's By The Bay
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.latzsbythebay.com/
- Phone: 6097888838x
- Hours of Operation:
Creperie&Breakfast: Saturday-Sunday: 11:00am - 2:00pm;
Lunch: Wednesday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:00pm;
Wednesday - Friday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm,
Saturday: 5:30pm - 9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American, Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access
- Private Party Facilities: Private parties up to fifty can be accommodated. Either a la carte or buffet menus can be created to suit any type of event.
- Private Party Contact: Andrew Latz 6097888838x
A word from Latz's By The Bay
Four generations ago the Latz family arrived at the South Jersey beach colony. Since then they have passionately operated restaurants and created a culinary environment which has delighted millions of visitors to the Jersey shore. Latz"s is based on an organic and sustainable philosophy. It is American cuisine at its best using freshly caught seafood, grass fed meat and the finest of locally grown produce. The vintage 19th century cottage offers diners water views as well as a charming garden complete with a babbling water fountain. No trip to Latz's would be complete without a tasting of one of their freshly baked desserts. Latz's is a BYOB with a menu selection that will compliment any wine or spirit that one may bring. No trip to the shore is complete with a visit to Latz's in Somers Point.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
Latz's By The Bay - Best Restaurants in Somers Point ›
Latz's By The Bay reviews from OpenTable diners
133 reviews since June 4, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (52)fit for foodies (51)neighborhood gem (51)romantic (41)great for outdoor dining (32)scenic view (28)great for lunch (12)great for brunch (10)good for groups (9)hot spot (5)notable wine list (1)kid-friendly (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- From start to finishSteveDined on 9/24/2014Entered the beautiful, homey restaurant and was greeted and seated by the owner in a small alcove in the back. Our waiter Craig promptly attended to us and continued to do so through out the meal. It is a BYOB and we got our set ups immediately which is somewhat rare in this area for BYOB. Ordered the oyster 3 way for an app and it was well prepared and came out promptly. I ordered the duck and my wife the salmon. Both dishes were very good. We found our waiter was not only a waiter but a pastry chef as well. We had a lemon, chocolate dessert that was out of this world. Great place. We will return. Highly recommend.Special Features:
- FoodFan18VIPDined on 9/12/2014Always like Latz's because of its fresh food. Homemade salad dressing was wonderful. Fish was fresh as were other dishes. Owner is onsite all the time and watching out for the diners.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very memorable mealLovetodineVIPDined on 9/12/2014My husband and I were in the area for a getaway weekend. We wanted to eat at a nice place and what a gem of a place it is. Our waitress was Shy, she was wonderful. Very friendly and very professional. For dinner we both decided on the Shrimp Scampi. The best Shrimp Scampi we ever had! Kudos to the Chef! Thank you for a wonderful dining experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spot at the shorePhillyGirlVIPDined on 9/12/2014Great BYO restaurant, perfect table, food was delicious and the service was attentive. I couldn't have asked for more. I'll be back this week.Special Features:
- Lovely find by the BayVentnoroseDined on 9/6/2014We picked because availability on a Saturday night on OPEN TABLE! The place is delightful, a old cottage but new, beautiful woodwork, lovely hardwood floors, orchids on every table. The restaurant is small and in the winter would probably quite romantic but was noisy this end of summer Saturday night. We were seated immediately. The views out the window show the Bay and we were treated to a lightening show outside as we dined! We didn't know it was BYOB, but no matter, friendly table next to us offered some of their wine! The mussels in saffron broth looked delicious, our corn cake delightful; dinners come with salads; my bronzino was delicious with a butter sauce/capers; fresh asparagus and rice or potatoes accompanied the meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great RestaurantCosmoDined on 9/5/2014This was our first visit and were really impressed. My husband especially loved the crab soup. We will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Slow Kitchen/disinterested waitressHerbiejackVIPDined on 9/2/2014A beautiful restaurant with a diverse menu Our only complaint was the service Very slow Soft shell crabs and lobster tail when they finally arrived at our table were fresh and tasty Our waitress was unapologetic and seemingly preoccupied She even neglected to tell us about included salads.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely eveningcarelle214VIPDined on 8/31/2014Had not been to this restaurant all summer. Heard it was good, but was never able to get in. It was a very busy night, but everything was handled well.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Change of paceAnonVIPDined on 8/30/2014Latz's is a change of pace from the typical shore dining. If you can dine in the garden, it is a nice, quiet atmosphere. And, a nice quiet atmosphere is nice when it takes over an hour to get entrees. The waitress was rude, and blamed the wait on the holiday weekend rush. When the food finally came out, not all dishes were served at the appropriate temperature. It was not worth complaining because we had already waited so long, and been told that the kitchen was slammed. Even the sides, rice and asparagus, came out cold on one of the plates. The garden setting, and Dairy Queen for dessert salvaged the evening.Special Features:
- DisappointedAnniebVIPDined on 8/29/2014We should have paid attention to the negative reviews as Latz's was a disappointment. Also, we should not have to ask to have our table wiped clean in-between courses.
- Latz by the BayOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/28/2014Lovely little spot w great food. Cozy outdoor space staff great. Would definitely make a return dining experienceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very enjoyable!Eat2pleaseDined on 8/26/2014Delicious food and beautiful setting. In addition to a well appointed dining room they have a great courtyard in the back for outdoor dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very noisy-food hit and miss.AllanPDined on 8/24/2014It was like an assault on my sentences when we entered the restaurant. It made the dining experience very unpleasant--could barely hear the waiter. Shrimp scampi was very good but the crab cakes were bland and tasteless. The waiter seemed new and inexperienced and was slow and missed a few requests until reminded again. The only salad dressing which was called citrus vinaigrette was a heavy balsamic vinaigrette. The bread was room temperature soft white bread typical of a diner as was the salad dressing.
- Over Rated & Over PricedmandownDined on 8/23/2014My wife and I decided to celebrate our 1 year anniversary down the shore. We decided to stay close to where we were staying. We were greeted with a warm welcome and the staff was able to get us a table a half hour before our reservation time. I had the Key Lime Lobster & a Crab Cake with macadamia rice . The lobster was very tough, the crab cake was very dry and the rice was dry & very bland. My wives pork chop looked great but lacked flavor. We hoped to salvage the night out with dessert, I had the Lemon Pie & she had the Creme Brûlée. The lemon pie was very good but the chocolate crust didn't appeal to me & her Creme Brûlée was just fair. Considering it was $125.00 before tip & no drinks, the night was a bust. The staff was very nice.
- Anniversary DinnerdelhawkDined on 8/23/2014We chose Latz's from the description on DO/AC and were not disappointed. We went to celebrate our 45th wedding anniversary and had a nice experience. The bouillabaisse and salmon were excellent as was the service. No desserts as we were stuffed from the main course. Well worth the cost and we would return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- would not go backBeachgoerVIPDined on 8/22/2014Didn't love this restaurant. Thought it was very loud. Where we sat condensation was dripping on my dads head from the AC. Nothing for younger kids. The ice tea was a rip off at 4$. Desserts were fair. Won't go backSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/22/2014We went for tea and it was absolutely wonderful. It was a delicious, pleasant experience. The food was excellent, the service was very good and the ambience is very nice. It is a wonderful place for tea and we will try it for dinnerSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our go to choice at the shorelove2dine2Dined on 8/21/2014Excellent food and service - as always! Varied menu and our party of 6 (including 3 kids ages 6-13) raved about their choices. Best meal of our week at the shore.Special Features:
- Not as good as in the pastweedgeDined on 8/19/2014We were not greeted upon entering. Hostess was on the phone talking. I was going to wait till call ended, but it did not. She never took our name for reservation, walked away from us and headed to a table. I was not sure I was to follow. She never said,hello, good evening, welcome, nothing...bad start with guests from out of town. Mr. Latz would not have liked. Crab cakes also not good. Too much filler for a lovely restaurant who usually serves good seafood. Salad was good and so was the bread. Two diners had the crab so that was not good.Special Features:
- Enjoyable eveningNonnaDined on 8/19/2014We had dinner with friends who were also vacationing inOcean City. We enjoyed the atmosphere and everyone enjoyed their dinner. The food here is excellent and the menu had something for everyone. We will definitely come back next yearSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- disappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/16/2014we ate at this restaurant several times in 2013 and enjoyed the food, service and evening...and was looking forward to that same experience. UNFORTUNATELY the place was so loud you couldn't hear the waitress present the specials nor hold and conversation within our party of FOUR! AND, the service and food were just average at best!
- Enjoyable mealFinedinerDined on 8/14/2014Dined on a Thursday evening and sat outside in the garden which was delightful. BYOB was a nice feature - after reviewing the menu, we decided to bring a rose. Service was attentive but relaxed. Menu was mostly seafood. We had the seared tuna and boulabaise which were good, but not great. Portions were large and the entree came with a starter salad which was nice and a good size. I would go back again.Special Features:
- Salad Love!!!CarolynVIPDined on 8/13/2014Loved the Strawberry Arugula salad!!! It was excellent!!!
- Foodie2VIPDined on 8/12/2014Charming atmosphere as if you are in someone's beachside home. My coconut shrimp had wonderful flavor but the reading was heavy handed. The broth in the steamed clams was too salty.. The dipping olive oil for the bread was outstanding. Service was professional.
- over ratedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/10/2014We went here based on good reviews and what we found was a mediocre restaurant. Very disappointed and over priced.
- Girls WeekendGirlsWeekendDined on 8/9/2014Wanted a BYOB for our annual girls weekend. This was suggested by a friend, we were a group of 8 and dinner was at 9:00 pm. Although they ran out of dinner sides and had to substitute, this will happen when eating late in a restaurant. No worries all was good. Had soft shell crabs and I was in heaven! We all had great dinners! would go backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely RestaurantDanBVIPDined on 8/9/2014The restaurant is lovely with quaint decor and a charming garden. Eat outside if the weather permits. All entrees come with a nice salad, so there is no need to order salad. Entrees also come with sides, which is so nice considering how many sides are a la carte at many venues. Service was pleasant and accommodating. The soft shells stuffed with crab meat were nicely done. The tuna was also prepared exactly as ordered. The duck was good, but the cherry sauce was more chutney than expected. The restaurant seems to attract an older crowd, which added to the throwback feel of actually being able to talk to your dining companions without shouting.
- foodie delightfunplace2dineDined on 8/9/2014consistently good food. byob is a nice bonus to a terrific meal. been here many times and never disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- food not good. we sat outsidedisappointedDined on 8/8/2014Which was beautiful but when the mussels came they had an odor. My friend and I ate a few of them but they were definitely bad.We ordered the calamari instead which was very good. The server was wonderful but the service was very slow. Our server kept apologizing. When our meal came my friend had the soft she'll crab special which was good but a little too breaded. My duck came recommended by our server but was so overdone I could not eat it. The server said that the main chef was not in that evening and the alternate chef was having a hard time keeping up with the orders. Management was good in the fact they took both the mussels and the duck off the bill. I would like to give this restaurant another try but I am a little nervous.Special Features:
- Good food slow serviceJedavisDined on 8/7/2014It took the waiter a long time to get to us after sitting down. Even after he got to us getting bread and drinks took a while. We did have kids with us which made it hard because things took long. Would not recommend to bring kids. Food was goodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GlutzyDined on 8/6/2014For the prices that Latz's charges....the service and the food were fair. I ordered salmon cooked medium rare and it was served almost grilled to a crisp. The asparagus was almost inedible....very tough. The salad was nothing outstanding. I ordered shrimp cocktail and the shrimp were extremely mushy. This restaurant seems to want to be "high end" but then you don't tell the customer to save their forks for the next course and not even serve a shrimp fork with the cocktail. We won't be going back.Special Features:
- charmingPICKYDined on 8/3/2014LITTLE GEM! THE FOOD IS VERY GOOD,SEVCE IS VERY PROFESSIONAL AND THE PLACE IS SPARKLING CLEAN!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Latz's was outstandingDookefanDined on 8/2/2014we had the duck and the salmon, both of which were cooked to perfection. Our waitress was very knowledgable as well as being honest about what to order which I really appreciated. The salmon with brown sugar, etc was cooked perfectly. The two desserts, one a blueberry pastry was delicious as was the other dessert which was from an old recipe.Special Features:
- Lovely at Latz'sgleedah18VIPDined on 7/31/2014A very enjoyable evening....Great menu selections.....Food was delicious, good service, in a lovely room with beautiful flowers on the tables. We appreciated that the noise level of the room was low enough to have a conversation at our table. Also like that the restaurant is BYOSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ladies who love afternoon tea2tealadiesDined on 7/31/2014We were there for afternoon tea on Thursday. I made reservations and I'm glad I did. There was just one table open the entire time we were there. My friend and I hadn't seen each other for awhile so we lingered over our meal and that was fine with the staff. The waitress was attentive and professional and a bit formal, which was a nice touch for afternoon tea. The food was the best I have had for tea. The savories unusual--not the cucumber and salmon sandwiches you are used to. The scones were fresh and moist and the desserts outstanding. I would definitely recommend Latz's even for an experienced afternoon tea lady.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 7/30/2014highly recommend the huge coconut shrimp and the Scottish dessert made by waiter Craig who is also fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Memorable experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/30/2014This was our first visit to Latz's and it will not be the last. My family was extremely pleased with our evening. The dining room was beautifully decorated with fresh orchids on the table and crisp tablecloths and napkins. Charming! Our server was gracious and knowledgeable about the menu. The Mussells Hollandaise appetizer was outstanding as were the entrees. We are looking forward to returning to Latz's in the future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Most Improved AwardMarlenieGSVIPDined on 7/26/2014Hi, we have been coming to Latz's since they first opened. They try very hard and it's paying off. This season offers new and expanded menu. We shared two appetizers - our favorite was delicious crab salad special in a Lamaze type sauce with a kick, and yummy calamari with thai sauce. Soft shell crabs and seared tuna very good... although - we asked waiter if soft shells were sauteed or fried - he said the former - turns out they were fried. The Bouillabaisse was fantastic and was loaded with shellfish - It wasn't so much a stew since it had a lot of rice in it that absorbed liquid. Seared tuna was supposed to have wasabi and sesame seeds - they forgot the latter - It was busy on Sat night - we sat upstairs - was lovely and quiet.Special Features:
- Luv2eatVIPDined on 7/26/2014We really enjoyed dining in the upstairs dining room. It was so much quieter! The food was delis hand the service was great. Even Andrew keeps slim by checking upstairs and down through the evening which is such a nice touch. We are returning next week and looking forward to another lovely experience.Special Features:
- Perfect place for a birthday dinnerSeafoodlover2Dined on 7/24/2014Food and service is excellent. Ambience is warm and cozy. Nothing pretentious about this place. We brought a bottle of champagne and they had the right glass to pour it into. Most places without a liquor license give you wine glasses for champagne. We highly recommend Latz's for casual dining or special occasions.Special Features: