Latin Grill Express
993 N. Point Street
San Francisco, CA 94109Neighborhood:
Latin / SpanishPrice: $30 and under
Latin Grill Express
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.facebook.com/LatinGrillSF
- Phone: 4153458512
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 10:30AM - 5:00PM.
Lunch: Wednesday - Sunday: 11:30PM - 5:00PM.
Dinner: Wednesday - 5:00PM - 9:00PM.
- Payment Options: MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: South American, Latin / Spanish, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Diego Escobar
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Dancing, Entertainment, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Catering Menu is available to groups of 20 to 500. All dishes are served by half trays (typically 10 servings) and full trays (typically 20 servings) Our menu is gluten-free sensitive and vegetarian friendly. We provide all serving utensils. Chafing dishes, tables etc. and servers are available upon request.
A word from Latin Grill Express
The Latin Grill Express in lower Russian Hill continues to surprise. After only six months in business, Lisa and Diego have enamored both locals and tourists alike, with their casual, fun and passionate Cuban / South American dishes. "We are tapas style but the dishes are very generous, so do share, but as entrees, they also satisfy," says Diego, co-owner and chef. This is clear, when one reads the numerous positive reviews they have garnered on Yelp, the premier social media web site many use to make their dining choices. These are traditional recipes from Cuba to Colombia and the rest of South America, California-style. We are using local ingredients in dishes like the "Ropa Vieja" (shredded flank steak in a red wine sofrito) and making guests come back for their perfectly done "maduros" (sweet fried plantains served with mint creme-fraiche). The "arroz con pollo" is delectable with arborio rice and Spanish saffron. Don't forget live Cuban music every Saturday during brunch!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Latin Grill Express reviews from OpenTable diners
- Disappointed! Not What We ExpectedThomasBDined on 9/21/2013Went for lunch and there was no other customers there. Greeted with a smile & was given a nice overview of the rather short menu. Basically ordered one of everything on the menu for our party of 6. Food was not what we expected for Latin/Cuban/South American food. It seemed to be more a Asian version of Latin/Cuban/South American food. One of the dishes we ordered was the Latin rice dish. That dish looked & tasted like an Asian fried rice dish. The sausage they used in the dish appeared to & tasted like Chinese sausage or "lop-chueng". To satisfy our curiosity, we asked about that ingredient and the Asian woman who worked the front of the restaurant confirmed that it, indeed, was Chinese sausage that was in the Latin rice dish.
- Excellent food, but too noisyJFCSDined on 9/14/2013OK experience. We were warned immediately that the kitchen was backed up and given an estimate as to how long it would take. Having opted to stay, we got regular updates--and the food was ready when promised. The big problem was noise. There was live music when we arrived. It was so loud we needed earplugs, and obviously, conversation was impossible. We couldn't even hear the server's explanations about the food! We were told it could not be turned down. Totally unnecessary and inappropriate in a small restaurant. Fortunately, the live music ended. The recorded music that followed was fine. Food was excellent, portions very generous so we enjoyed a second meal in peace at home the next night.
- Recommend!rickDined on 8/17/2013We really enjoyed the pork ribs. They were fork ready tender with delicious sweet flavor and a slight kick. The spinach and cheese empanadas was crispy and hot.
- Absolutely fab tasting food...andOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/23/2013Absolutely fab tasting food...and the service was outstanding! We loved receiving the food recommendations and were not disappointed. The chipolte-guava BBQ sauce on the pork ribs (costillas con guava-chipotle) were amazing, as was the sweet plantain mash (fufu) side. We definitely will be returning!!Special Features:
- so sodanjefferDined on 2/22/2013A little disappointing. The food was kind of bland. Plantains were great though. C+ overall.
- Small, local, new restaurant.munchyDined on 2/9/2013Small, local, new restaurant. Only 3 tables occupied when we were there, staff nice, food good but not gourmet.Special Features:
- The food at Latin Grill ExpressOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 11/16/2012The food at Latin Grill Express is outstanding and unexpected. Diego & his wife have created a great neighborhood restaurant that will keep me going back for more.Special Features:
- Had traditional Cuban foodwinydapuVIPDined on 11/15/2012Had traditional Cuban food that was out of this world!!! It is run by a husband & wife team who are dedicated to making sure each guest has a wonderful culinary experience. Highly recommend!!!Special Features:
- service was excellent - veryOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 10/27/2012service was excellent - very friendly staff and helpful. food was good. small bar and no TV so we couldn't watch the Giants world series!Special Features:
- Excellent food, excellentOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/29/2012Excellent food, excellent menu choices. Not very crowded on Saturday night but this won't last for long once the word gets out.Special Features:
- Wonderful, welcoming and engagedOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 9/29/2012Wonderful, welcoming and engaged owners, husband and wife I believe who helped describe what was on offer and helped us with our choices. The Cuban Roast Pork was really excellent, sort of like a less greasy (not that I object to grease) but very succulent version of Carnitas. My wife had camarones dish also excellent. A great choice if you're taking the Powell-Hyde from SOMA over the hill to go to the Magic Theatre at Fort Mason as Latin Grill is on your way for the Cable Car turn around to the Theatre.Special Features:
- We heard about this placeOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/12/2012We heard about this place from checking reviews on yelp, and it did not disappoint. The food was plentiful and amazing, the sangria was deliciously powerful, but the service was what made the night for us. So friendly, so helpful, and really interesting and full of knowledge. Plus when we mentioned we were on honeymoon he gave us a glass of bubbly each! If we lived in SF we would definitely become regulars here!Special Features:
- Food was wonderful -we followedOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/4/2012Food was wonderful -we followed review suggestions and shared one appetizer [staff recommended 'fried corn pancake'], main dish [pork], two sides and dessert. Were very pleased -and full! Staff was wonderful and managed at very hectic time -Before the Fireworks fired just two blocks away. We were seated in a few minutes even though the crazy-congestion meant we arrived 15 minutes after our reservation.Special Features:
- From the outside and the insideDmb413Dined on 6/28/2012From the outside and the inside decor, it is not much to look at. However, the service was very good and the owner is very nice. Couple that with decent food and a fair price and you have a nice place to eat. It's a 6-block walk from the wharf so it is not going to be a tourist stop/trap (a good thing).Special Features:
- Excellent food in a new place.GlennDined on 5/30/2012Excellent food in a new place. Unexpected delight: clam emphanda! Go there now!Special Features:
- Good but could be betterOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/7/2012Food is tapas style but dishes are generous. You must order side dishes on the side. Their entrees would be more satisfying if a side dish was included for same price. My wife and I ordered the Lechon and Ribs entrees, both were very good. Next time we will share one entree, two side dishes and a sangria carafe. The restaurant lacks curb appeal, but it is a great alternative to the standard fare of Fisherman's Warf.
- The food and the service wereDiabloTonyDined on 2/14/2012The food and the service were outstanding. This is a true neighborhood gem. Diego, the owner is charming.Special Features:
- Food was amazing; serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 2/14/2012Food was amazing; service was cordial and attentive. The Lechon Asado Con Yuca was to die for. We also had an order of Arroz con Pollo that was delicious as well, as well as a tasty Empenada. Definitely planning to return.Special Features:
- Food and service were great;OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 2/11/2012Food and service were great; would definately feel good about sending others there and/or returning.Special Features: