Palo Verde at The Boulders Resort
34631 N. Tom Darlington Drive
Carefree, AZ 85377Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Palo Verde at The Boulders Resort
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.theboulders.com/dining
- Phone: 4804889009x1105
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: 7am-11am daily
Brunch: Saturday & Sunday from 11am-2pm
Dinner: 6:00pm-9:30pm daily
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Chef Michel Pieton
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Please contact the Restaurant Manager for large group bookings at (480) 595-4637.
- Special Events: W i n e D i n n e r S e r i e s
Based On Individual Winery’s Availability
For Details And Information Call
(480) 488-9009, Ext. 1117
A word from Palo Verde at The Boulders Resort
Serving breakfast, lunch and dinner, Palo Verde introduces Chef Nicholas Hertel. Classically trained, Chef Hertel offers a contemporary southwestern inspired menu featuring such items as Crispy Blue Point Oysters with johnny cakes, cactus green chili tartar, charred corn and sweet red pepper jam; or Autumn Squash & Smoked Chili Fritters, glazed with The Boulders own harvested Arizona honey, old west cherry peppers and green onion; and Smoke & Spiced Bison Bistro Steak with sweet corn pudding, red chili emulsion and bourbon jus. Dine in a relaxed and comfortable setting overlooking the fairway of the south course or al fresco under the stars.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Palo Verde at The Boulders Resort reviews from OpenTable diners
23 reviews since July 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (11)scenic view (11)great for outdoor dining (10)great for brunch (7)romantic (6)great for lunch (6)fit for foodies (5)neighborhood gem (3)good for groups (2)notable wine list (2)Show More
- Fresh MenuMangiareVIPDined on 10/25/2014The menu has been updated and it offers uncomplicated, well-prepared choices. I had the lamp chops served with mashed sweet potatoes and kale. The dish was sensational. My husband had halibut and he raved about the freshness and preparation. The food at this restaurant used to be good and it is now great, as is the service and atmosphere.Special Features:
- We Thought It Would be BetteremilypDined on 10/11/2014Hadn't been here for 20-years. Had a very difficult time locating after dark for our evening reservation. Got the table closest to the kitchen entry and congregation point for wait-staff. Our guest did not enjoy the 'prickly pear margarita'. Husband's halibut was very good. My shrimp w/ egg-noodles was OK, but noodles were stiff and hard, and cold. The lamb chop presentation was very nice; but our guest could not cut them with the serrated knife, and had to ask for a sharper knife. Then, my husband ended up cutting them for her! Had to ask for mint sauce to accompany the lamb chops. Bread was hot and fresh. And the creme brule was excellent. Really, we don't think this venue is really all it's hyped up to be.
- Great Food great ServicebillDined on 9/27/2014Went on Restaurant week since we have never been there and it was close to home. We were greatly surprise on great the food and service was. We will be back for sure. Great staff to help you out in every waySpecial Features:
- AverageSkPblewDined on 9/27/2014We have been to Palo Verde several times over the past two years. In the past we gave it 4 stars but only managed 3 stars this time. We were with another couple who were satisfied, however, the dish with short ribs had the vegetables overcooked while one dish with sea bass had the vegetables undercooked. We will go back as the atmosphere & service is very good and expect the food overall to be at least a 4 star next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant week findBinkeyDined on 9/26/2014We went for restaurant week to find out about this restaurant and were delighted with the find. The food was good the help friendly and the setting great.Special Features:
- Palo VerdeOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/26/2014The service was outstanding. The food was excellent with amazing flavors
- VickiDined on 9/25/2014Food was fair but the ambiance on the patio was bare bones, lacking any style or class which I expected from the Boulders.Special Features:
- No complaints....just okaysherrill53Dined on 9/21/2014We went to the Boulder's restaurant for AZ Restaurant Week; knowing it was among the highest priced venues, we expected special. It was good, okay....just not special. The wine list was very disappointing. No decent whites to go with my halibut. Felt forced to order a cocktail instead of wine. Large patio with limited seating and no soft background music. With all the restaurants in the area that I do consider having something special and unique, we probably won't return.
- A great find outside of scottsdaleptgolferVIPDined on 9/12/2014The food was great and the service was fabulous. Our waiter and hostess went out of there way to do the extras to make our meal enjoyable. We liked it so much we went back for a second meal the next night.Special Features:
- lovely eveningMelgDined on 8/2/2014The Palo Verde restaurant was a delight. The food was outstanding. The server was very knowledgeable of the menu.Special Features:
- 3PearlsDined on 7/26/2014The location is fabulous. The actual boulders en route are breathtaking and almost surreal. The journey to is part of the meal. The service is great and the although not over the top it is very is good...worth the trip and expense.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- calming placevincenz0VIPDined on 7/23/2014We had a very quiet evening and the service was perfect with excellent cuisine. The chef prepared and outstanding dish of mussels and the sea bass was outstanding. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday DinnerbdaydinnerjulyDined on 7/3/2014I told the concierge and kitchen manager in advance that we were celebrating my wife's birthday. They made it a special occasion without being ostentatious. My wife's dinner was excellent, while my Halibut was average. The chef was trying out a special desert that was outstanding, and he later came out and talked with each of the tables, which was a treat.Special Features:
- Overall great experienceKFWarnerDined on 7/2/2014Red Snapper sandwich was excellent. I will dine again when visiting the Boulders.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 83 reviews are from the Palo Verde at The Boulders Resort reviews archive.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 6/21/2014scallops for $27--3 well prepared scallops on a puree with nothing else, no veggie or pasta Expensive for 3 scallopsSpecial Features:
- Angry waiterPhxfoodluvDined on 6/20/2014The entire evening was ruined by our angry waiter. I watched this man basically yell at an elderly patron who was requesting her lamb chops be cooked a bit more. Upon returning them to her, he didn't even say a word just put them down and walked away, never to return to be sure they were properly cooked. Their signature Smores desert was just horrible. Totally unexpected experience considering the setting.
- Another good experienceLindalooVIPDined on 6/8/2014We dined with friends who had been to Palo Verde. We were able to eat outside with the misters on. It was another very good experience. There was a problem with a substitution on the menu and the manager made repeated visits to our table to make sure things were going well. Our server, David, was outstanding. We will return.Special Features:
- Excellent experienceLindalooVIPDined on 5/30/2014We dined here with another couple. It was their first visit. We dined on the patio at sunset. The view was lovely and the food was very good. I would like to especially compliment our server, David. His service was friendly and welcoming. The kind of service that makes you want to return to a restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UnremarkableKSquaredDined on 5/25/2014For such a gorgeous location, this restaurant is fairly unremarkable. To start, we had to wait 5 minutes for a hostess to even appear to take our reservation information when we arrived. We asked for the couples booth next to the table she was seating us at, but were told no as they were all booked for the evening. Let me just say that booth and another remained empty for approximately an hour and a half and the restaurant never did completely fill up. The food was good, but left you wanting more. The bison steak was cooked well and had great flavor, but there were 4 tiny strips and the sides that came with needed work. The scallops, again perfectly cooked and great flavor, but there were only two. Overall... disappointing dinner.Special Features:
- Fantastic Resort Dininglatitude64Dined on 5/23/2014I was extremely pleased with this resort gem. I will most definitely make a return visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 5/23/2014We've eaten there many times for breakfast, but thought we'd try Palo Verde for dinner during Restaurant Week. We were able to get a lovely table on the patio. Service was excellent, and the food was amazing. We'd heard that there was a talented new chef at the restaurant, and the food lived up to the glowing comments we had heard. We will definitely be back for dinner again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gorgeous LocationOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 5/22/2014First timers and what an experience. Very bold, flavorful southwestern cuisine. Not spicy but definitely bursting with flavor. Tried the restaurant week menu items and was not disappointed. Tasteful decor, comfortable seating and top notch service. We had Brian who was very knowledgeable, personable and attentive without being intrusive in the least. Our glasses were always topped off and empty plates cleared very expeditiously without making us feel rushed by the other very pleasant, efficient staff. We are definitely looking forward to going back and sitting on the beautiful patio overlooking the scenic expanse of lush greens and water. Unfortunately, due to a private party that area was not available.Special Features:
- Par Excellence!!!!!!!!!MikesbrideVIPDined on 5/18/2014David, our waiter, was FANTASTIC!!! He was very personable, knowledgeble and provided service with a smile. We will ask for him when we return. My husband had a beautiful dining experience on the patio of Palo Verde. It was scenic and very romantic! We dined as the sunset overlooking one of the fairways with a stream of water and soft nature sounds. Oh...what a nite ;-)Special Features:
- Wonderful dinner - twiceSierrasmomDined on 5/17/2014Our first time at Palo Verde was during Arizona Restaurant Week. Our waiter was enthusiastic, friendly and knowledgeable - a good start to the evening. All of us opted for the scallops and they were excellent. Our entire meal was perfect and we knew we'd be back. Our second time was last week. A different server this time, but just as friendly and knowledgeable. My husband had the scallops again while I had the bison special, which was tender and flavorful. One dinner companion had the barbecued ribs that he said were the best he'd ever had and the meat just fell off the bones. The other had the steak and lobster special which she said was very good. All in all we were very pleased both times and we will definitely return.Special Features:
- Great spot at the Boulders ResortIAgirlDined on 5/16/2014Excellent appetizers, salad and steak. Service was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spotOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/11/2014For a resort dining experience it was an excellent meal in a beautiful setting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- stephVIPDined on 4/28/2014Best halibut in a long time. Rack of lamb great as was seared tuna appetizer. Can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Palo Verde77finediningDined on 4/11/2014The food and service were very good. The room is attractive. The only negative I have is that there could be more outdoor seating. We have been there twice in the last month and have not been able to secure a table outdoors, even though there is plenty of useable square footage.Special Features:
- Shocked that a casual "Patio"GreatGourmet2Dined on 4/6/2014Shocked that a casual "Patio" restaurant would charge a resort fee of 19+% and we still paid a gratuity because it wasn't the waiters fault. We are local residents not staying at the resort--rip off and we will not recommend this place to anyone.
- Beautiful SettingRecEaterVIPDined on 3/29/2014Nice evening. Good food. Good service. No complaints.Special Features:
- Great Breakfast!!PattycakesDined on 2/15/2014All 4 of us really enjoyed our breakfast. My steak and eggs was perfectly done. Bacon nice and crisp. Delicious potatoes! Would definitely go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Valentines Get AwayJeneatsworldVIPDined on 2/14/2014We had breakfast and dinner here. The lighting transforms the restaurant at night to a nice ambiance. The menu is pretty diverse and the staff is wonderful about accommodating any changes. Lovely views of the golf course and pond off the patio. Sit in the lobby bar after dinner and have a drink, sit by the fireplace and listen to live music on the weekends. Customer service at the whole resort is top notch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Happy Valentine dayDICKDined on 2/13/2014We enjoyed our dinner and the services was very good. We were pleasantly surprised by how good our meals were!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfectly Cooked EggsOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/9/2014My eggs benedict were perfectly cooked. Sauce was fantastic and consistency was great. Biscuit is a good option over the english muffin which can be tough.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lamb chops were ordered asBrunoVIPDined on 1/31/2014Lamb chops were ordered as medium-rare but presented as rare and were returned to the kitchen. The steak was mostly fat. The dinner was very disappointing and we will never return.
- New Year, New Menugourmetgal67Dined on 1/4/2014Having been to this restaurant many times before in years past we were a little disappointed to see that the menu had changed so completely. What was once an imaginative, superb continental menu has become imaginative southwestern cuisine. Everyone at my table thought their meal was good to very good but we probably won't return. There are many competitive restaurants with this kind of menu in this area and we miss what the former menu at Palo Verde had to offer. That being said I would encourage people to try the restaurant and make up their own mind especially if they want the Tex Mex cuisine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really?FoodiesDined on 1/4/2014For a Restaurant of this stature we expected MUCH more. The waiter was on the 'new' side. He really had difficulty. He was not knowledgabale There were NO SPECIALS. The food was OK. Not compared to what you received and the prices. We were not eve offered a bread basket.....really??? When it came time to split the bill with the other couple, we offered 2 credit cards. The waiter insisted he had it right, but, really he put the entire bill on one card. Good thing WE noticed it!
- Not up to ParJoePMDined on 12/29/2013For the resort of Boulders, we expected allot more. The staff is not trained to be proffessional, the service needs some serious work. If it was not for the setting the prices would be outrages.Special Features:
- Perfect for night before ChristmasLorensoDined on 12/24/2013Food excellent as always, service was wonderful, server was knowledgeable, friendly without being intrusive. Highly recommend this restaurantSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- no dress code? They SHOULD get one!McCoyDined on 12/23/2013Wish they had a dress code especially during the holiday season. Across from us people had baseball caps turned backwards, and a man had beat up cargo shorts, and a tank top. Certainly even a resort can require some standards