Las Ramblas at Hotel Contessa
306 West Market Street
San Antonio, TX 78205Neighborhood:
SpanishPrice: $30 and under
Las Ramblas at Hotel Contessa
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://thehotelcontessa.com/las_ramblas/las_ramblas.asp
- Phone: 2102988040
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:00am - 2:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm; Breakfast: Monday - Sunday: 6:30am - 11:00am; Brunch: Sunday: 10:30am - 2:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Spanish, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Jordan Mackey
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Please contact us for more information.
- Private Party Contact: Richard 2102988044
A word from Las Ramblas at Hotel Contessa
Perfectly situated along a tranquil stretch of unspoiled riverfront at the Hotel Contessa, Las Ramblas sets a new standard in Modern Spanish Cuisine. The menu features seasonally inspired entrees and tapas includes Strawbegrry Gazpachao, traditional Spanish Paella and tapas such as Scallop Ceviche, and Brussel Spouts with house made pancetta & sage. Las Ramblas & the Cork Bar offers a great selection of beers and wines by the glass. Guests can enjoy both indoor and alfresco dining.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
- Diners' Choice WinnerScenic View
Las Ramblas at Hotel Contessa - Best Restaurants in Downtown ›
Las Ramblas at Hotel Contessa reviews from OpenTable diners
28 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelQuiet
great for outdoor dining (20)scenic view (20)romantic (10)fit for foodies (9)special occasion (9)notable wine list (5)good for groups (3)great for brunch (3)great for lunch (2)vibrant bar scene (2)kid-friendly (2)neighborhood gem (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- Great place for Spanish foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/31/2014Great place for Spanish food , nice environment, friendly staff, beautiful view on the riverwall.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gracious staff!LpstkbizdinerVIPDined on 8/22/2014This is my second time at Las Ramblas, chosen specifically for Tapas. The service was very attentive. There are some typical tapas choices on the menu with seasonings more Morroccan than Spanish making it all the more interesting. In general we found the food tasty but requiring salt. We would have preferred the tapas come in succession rather than all at once but in the end having the variety on the table was fun. The wine was lovely. All was reasonably priced.Special Features:
- Great Riverside DinnerRugbydiverDined on 8/20/2014We enjoyed dining al fresco along the Riverwalk. Even though it was late-August, the shade of the trees and breeze made our outdoor dining very comfortable even at 7 p.m. The cheese and meats appetizer was fantastic and it included some pickled wax beans, asparagus, tomatoes and mild peppers. Lovely location along the quiet part of the Riverwalk. The Moroccan lamb shank with dates and almonds was delicious and tender. My wife loved the Crispy Pan Seared Salmon. We will definitely return on our next visit to San Antonio. The drinks at the bar were superb. One of the best mojitos I have had. I plan to sample some of their tapas during our next trip.Special Features:
- DisappointingPhilipDined on 8/10/2014Nothing like the advertisement that had attracted usSpecial Features:
- OutstandingEricDined on 7/24/2014It was a great experience. The food was great and service was top notch. Easily one of our top five dining experiences!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good food - service, notOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/13/2014This was my first time at Las Ramblas. The food was very good and attractively presented. The server was very helpful in answering my questions about the menu. But the service after that was most charitably described as "erratic". The salad I'd ordered didn't arrive until after the hostess asked how everything was and I replied "I'm still waiting for my salad". The skirt steak arrived without the patatas bravas which I'd ordered. The manager stopped by to see how everything was and I replied "I didn't get my potatoes". Then the server returned because there was some confusion about what I'd ordered.Special Features:
- Outside river view is the bestOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 7/4/2014corner table outside next to river was a great night. Food above average and prices reasonable too.Special Features:
- Go for the FoodMK0791Dined on 6/20/2014Staying at the hotel next door on the San Antonio Riverwalk, we found the posted menu interesting. Prawns and Oysters appetizers were delicious, as were the entrees of Paella, double cut pork chops, and braised short ribs. Very respectable wine selection. They close at 11 pm, but we felt rushed out by 10:20. The server didn't offer dessert or after dinner coffee/drinks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NICE PLACENanaoukDined on 6/19/2014good Spanish food, nice ambiance, even alone, best for twoSpecial Features:
- spurs paradeSheaVIPDined on 6/18/2014we were lucky enough to secure a table here for the Spurs Victory parade , the staff did a great job in dealing with crazy timing etcSpecial Features:
- Bad Night or a Bad Restaurant?SharonBVIPDined on 6/17/2014We asked for a specific bottle of wine. The person who had the ONLY key wasn't working. We settled for a bottle from the bar. Ordered octopus, a hot garlicky appetizer. It was cold, had no garlic flavor, and the octopus was hard tasted weird. We sent it back. I had the pork chop, passable, something I could make at home. Service was slow because there was one person on duty. A bad night or a bad restaurant? I'm not going back to find out. I cannot recommend it.
- MixedRiceDined on 5/31/2014The Caldo Gallego was exceptional. In contrast, the Mariscos Paella was a disappointment; Seafood was overcooked and in general off. We were not offered a tapas menu. I think a Spanish restaurant should have the paella nailed. We sat outside which was nice. However, I believe this led to the service being very slow – out of sight out of mind.Special Features:
- So near and yet so far.Foodie17Dined on 5/29/2014To put this review in context, the hotel was hosting a very large dinner function the night we left. That said, the ambiance was outstanding, the food terrific and the service very unsatisfactory. Our waitress was knowledgeable and pleasant but her kitchen let her down. It took 20 minutes to get an olive appetizer and forever to get our entrees and ultimately our check. Custer had a better chance of success at the Little Big Horn than our waitress had on this particular evening. I hope the service problem was an aberration due to the large group as opposed to a systemic problem.Special Features:
- Spanish Delight on the RiverwalkMacanudoDined on 5/9/2014When we first encountered Las Ramblas we returned to dine the next day...and on this special visit to San Antonio we ensured that we'd be able to introduce friends to it. The menu has changed, but the quality is the same! We greatly enjoyed the tomato bread and calamari to start, and the paella dishes were practically licked clean. Unfortunately we did not leave room for dessert, but next time we'll correct that! Don't miss this when you are in San Antonio.Special Features:
- Disappointingace75Dined on 5/6/2014Beautiful location, terrible service. Rude waiter, bad drinks, mediocre food.Special Features:
- Waitstaff found lackingTexasFoodieDined on 5/5/2014The food was pretty good but our table service was extremely slow.
- The following 220 reviews are from the Las Ramblas at Hotel Contessa reviews archive.
- Quiet and Scenic Riverwalk SpotMCinTheWoodlandsVIPDined on 5/3/2014Away from the hustle and bustle of the Riverwalk's more rowdy bends, Las Ramblas offered a gorgeous view of two bridges and some park-like settings along at the river's edge. Because of the reduced traffic, we were able to sit outside and enjoy quiet conversations. We started with the platter of cheeses and cured meats for the table which was a terrific way to begin the evening, chatting and sipping wine. For entrees, most dishes were terrific, but those who ordered steaks found them to be underseasoned. Also, in looking for a side dish to accompany my steak, I was very surprised to not find a single simple green veggie. Service, while friendly, was lacking. She seemed frazzled every time we saw her - which was not often, I'm afraid.Special Features:
- GOODHELMEMANVIPDined on 5/2/2014BAR AND LOUNGE OUTSIDE WERE SUBSTANDARD.THEY WOULD BE BETTER OFF WITHOUT IT IN MY OPINION. RESTAURANT WAS NICE. STAFF WAS GREAT. FOOD WAS OK BUT NOT AS GOOD AS EXPECTED.
- Before the theater....GolferSADined on 5/2/2014Just a short walk from either the Majestic, or the Empire theaters, Las Ramblas was an excellent find for a pre-show dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hit & MissNolepalVIPDined on 4/25/2014We had great service but the food was hit and miss. Luckily the food that was not good was removed from our bill. Great table location with river view and near a famous tree that receives many proposals.Special Features:
- Best kept secretseeingstarsDined on 4/19/2014We visited the restaurant for dinner and went primarily for the Spanish theme and tapas menu. We had so many great choices. The hardest part was choosing just one. They offer a great selection of wines and tapas for group dinners. Wonderful seafood and delicious sangria. I wish I had left room for dessert because they have a wonderful selection. My kids also enjoyed their meals. I've never seen chicken wings on a kids menu and it really hit the spot for my picky eaters. A nice stroll along the riverwalk ended a wonderful meal. Great location. Park in the garage across the street and it's really convenient.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First good cuisine found in Texasgiovy2006Dined on 4/18/2014We are Italian. After living for about one year in Texas we thought that no restaurant could serve acceptable food in this country. We were surprised when we tasted the tapas and the crawfish at Las Ramblas: they were simply delicious and perfectly prepared. Congratulations to the cook, who could really blend together tastes in every element of his courses. The food was prepared in such a way that each taste was enhanced and everything was combined to give an unforgivable dining experience. The restaurant environment was also very pleasant and its location on the Riverwalk was beutiful.
- Love this place!!GreatDined on 4/12/2014Great place on the River walk but secluded from the noise tourist area. Tapas are the best with Rioja wine. You must go there!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Las Ramblas tapasMandJDined on 4/12/2014I highly recommend you try the tapas menu. Your server can help you choose as they are all very knowledgeable about the dishes. The appetizer board with meats and cheeses was excellent as were the meatballs, potatoes, and the heirloom tomatoes. Kudos to the chef - everything was fresh, had a wonderful blend of spices and was savory and very tasty. The ambiance facing the riverwalk was superb. All in all this was the highlight meal of our trip.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reservation Cancelled by RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/30/2014Made the reservation in January for a March client dinner - during a very busy time in San Antonio. Two weeks prior to the dinner, the restaurant canceled my reservation. The restaurant initially blamed OPENTABLE. Subsequently, they called again to ensure I knew of the cancellation and informed me the restaurant was "bought out" for the night. Not an OPENTABLE issue. They never offered any options. Promised a manager would call me - never did. Hey, who needs my party of 6 when you can sell out the place? Well, my annual party of 6 will never be back....
- Disappointed!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/30/2014Had eaten at the restaurant manty times before, and was generally quite good for lunch. This time however, was not. Three of us had the same chicken ceasar salad for lunch and we all agreed afterwards, it was horrible. They substituted in Boston lettuce for romaine and seemmed to forget to put salad dressing on the ceasar. As well, Tortilla soup was ok...nothing to write home about. Will definitely look for other options next time I am in the area for lunch.
- Wonderful! Meat and cheesetheatregalsDined on 3/26/2014Wonderful! Meat and cheese tapas enough for a meal. Paella exceptionally good. Lamb was a nice choice too and cooked perfectly. Complementary valet parking and only minutes walk. from Majestic Theatre made a relaxing and fun experience downtownSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Little bit of Spain in SALv2eatDined on 3/16/2014Very good tapas on the Riverwalk. Had a very interesting menu with lots of authentic choices. Unfortunately, they were "out" of a lot of dishes. And it was fairly early on a Saturday night so I would say it may have been poor planning for the signature dishes. Ambiance tried to be authentic, but a bit modern because it was a fairly new hotel. All in in all, worth it, tho.I would recommend this to a friend.
- THe staff was nice and theOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 3/7/2014THe staff was nice and the food overall was good. Unfortunately, my food was cold (meatballs and spaghetti) so the waiter did take it back to warm and my husband was finished eating by time I got it back. It was still just warm. But the environment is cozy and warm.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great tapas!PacerFanVIPDined on 2/25/2014We ate at this retaurant while on a business trip. It is in a hotel on a more quiet part of the riverwalk. Service was great and the waiter recommended an excellent Spanish wine. The waiter had a lot of knowledge about the menu and the wines. We discussed our tastes and everything he recommended was perfect. Very reasonably priced also!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A lovely surpriseReservata2Dined on 2/15/2014We've been coming to San Antonio for many years for professional meetings, but this was our first experience with this restaurant. We knew nothing about it--it was a "let's give it a try" situation. As it turned out, we were very impressed. The atmosphere was fabulous, and we were happy to be able to converse with dinner, as opposed to many loud San Antonio restaurants. Our wine was excellent, the menu had lots of great sounding items we would like to have ordered, our food was beautifully prepared and presented, and our waiter (Joe) was a true professional. It's a little pricey, but after all this is a fine restaurant in a convention city. We consider this a very lucky find, and we definitely will be back the next time we visit the city.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My wife and I had our ValentinesFernandoDined on 2/14/2014My wife and I had our Valentines dinner here. Great spot for that special romantic couple.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Tapas and PaelladrinkbettercoffeeDined on 2/13/2014Service was prompt, informative, attentive with out being obtrusive, and courses were timed perfectly. The two hour dinner felt unhurried, and there was no lull in the dining experience. The food was exceedingly good, but the service was so good that you didn't even notice it until a day or two after when you thought about what made the meal so special. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tapas generally quite goodgeorgeVIPDined on 2/7/2014Tapas generally quite good -- potato puffs melt in your mouth, and fried okra a treatI would recommend this to a friend.
- The food was excellent withOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 1/24/2014The food was excellent with a unique menu. I would look forward to dining here every time I visit San Antonio.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not their night or mineTwigVIPDined on 1/22/20143 people behind the desk when I arrive.They were hesitant and never mentioned follow me...all three left in different directions..wow, who do I follow? Once seated..10 minutes to receive my wine.Table next to me had two different menus and were totally confused.. Waiter totally out of his element..when I asked about the fish of the day he didn't know but would check for me. 10 minutes later I still hadn't seen him. Went back to the front desk for help, waiter returns but still doesn't know the fish special. I give up and order the spare rib. Nothing special....at all. Manager comes to apologize and I'm offered a free glass of wine. The issues rested with the waiter but also management ..poor training, poor attention to detail. Never again!
- Spain in TexasZorroeatsoutDined on 1/18/2014A last minute choice for an out of town visitor. A lovely evening with fine tapas and enjoyable wine. Fair to say a Texan read on Spanish food but no worse for that. Excellent, attentive service and nice location on the Riverwalk without being too deep in the action.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It was specialItwasspecialDined on 1/12/2014We dined there for our 45th anniversary. The sangria, paella, and gazpacho served were excellent - just like being in Spain again. The server was knowledgeable, helpful and friendly, she kept us from ordering 2 pans of paella when there was plenty to share on one plate. The restaurant was aware we were celebrating a 45th Anniversary, and made the evening truly special for us from the two thornless roses on the table when we arrived, to the dessert plate of flan with chocolate strawberries that read Happy Anniversary around the edges. We couldn't have asked for a better mealtime celebration. Thanks Las Ramblas!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent TapasJanellGovtRelDined on 1/11/2014Exceptional tapas menu. Wonderful ambience- great for couples or groups.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- what a waste of new year's eve dinepuronombreVIPDined on 12/31/2013We went to try the paella and found they change the menu without even advertising it at the web site to warning us. The place was like a hot yoga salon. First I started peeling coats and sweeter like an onion. The appetizers were good, except the meatballs, it is very difficult to make hard meatball and they accomplished. First entree: camarones al ajillo. Poor guys, overcooked on one side and the garlic sauce was obliterated by the chorizo added to the dish Second entree: Lobster… it can fall from the table and bounce back to the plate; so rubbery by overcooking it. Did I mention olives in all dishes, yes in all dishes! Too much of Spain for me. After three hours we decided to ask for the dessert to go.