517 8th St SE
Washington, DC 20003Neighborhood:
MexicanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.lasplacitasdc.com/
- Phone: (202) 543-3700
- Hours of Operation:
Daily: 11:30am - 5:00pm
Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm
Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mexican, Latin / Spanish
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Happy Hour, Takeout
A word from Las Placitas
Las Placitas is a Salvadoran and Mexican restaurant located in the Capitol Hill community of DC. It was established in 1990, and our past 22 years have been quite an experience for us as well as for the clientele we have had over the years. As time has passed we have worked hard to constantly create new dishes and serve the freshest ingredients daily. We have taken our time to evolve and provide new daily specials, and Happy Hour. At Las Placitas it is not just lunch or dinner; it is an experience of great food, service, friendly staff, and exceptional Margaritas. Join Las Placitas and be a part of the present and future that has made a successful business in the Capitol Hill community. Salud!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Las Placitas reviews from OpenTable diners
7 reviews since July 25, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (5)neighborhood gem (5)great for lunch (3)kid-friendly (2)fit for foodies (2)great for outdoor dining (2)late-night find (2)romantic (2)hot spot (1)vibrant bar scene (1)great for brunch (1)special occasion (1)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/2/2014I have always been a huge fan of Las Placitas! The food is always top notch, the service is great, and the margaritas go perfectly with the excellent cuisine.Special Features:
- Great service and foodMmsjjkDined on 10/17/2014Really enjoyed our visit. The service is outstanding and the menu has some interesting options. Our server helped us pick our dinners and did not steer us wrong.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/15/2014Great food, accommodating and friendly staff, good service, highly recommendedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love Las Placitas!eanthonydcVIPDined on 9/10/2014Great food at great prices! I always turn to Las Placitas when visitors or friends want good Mexican or Salvadorean food.Special Features:
- The following 19 reviews are from the Las Placitas reviews archive.
- JoseJoseDined on 7/17/2014Took the family this time and we all enjoyed it. Some friends were at another table and we joined them at the end for a drink. The waiter brought us all a shot of tequila and topped off a fine evening. I highly recommend it!Special Features:
- Joe EatsJoseDined on 7/10/2014I love Salvadoran food. Service was great and my small group (6) all were happy with their selections. I'll go back.
- Just right Mexican foodMsRefereeVIPDined on 7/3/2014I am from the midwest/south where we have Mexican food restaurants on every corner. This place is one of the better places I have found and very reasonably priced. I had a burrito - the chicken was abundant and yummy! This is not a white table cloth restaurant - just good ole' spot you can enjoy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, but hard to getSS14Dined on 6/1/2014Delicious fresh salsa, wide and varied menu, great margaritas. They seemed understaffed as flagging a waiter down was a chore, and we felt guilty ordering anything because it seemed like they didn't have time for us, which was a little unpleasant. We went on a Sunday night, I'm guessing lunch might be better.Special Features:
- Appetizers were good, butKarenVIPDined on 2/14/2014Appetizers were good, but the specials that night were just average.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasant dinner, nice surroundingsbajaDined on 12/11/2013I was not expecting such a nice restaurant with table clothes, nicely decorated interior, and very pleasant staff and waiters. Good menu choices, and plenty of food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Girls Night OutFriends6hungryDined on 10/18/2013The good was delicious and the waiter checked in us to see if we were pleased with our food. I plan on going back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great vibe in this familyOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 7/6/2013Great vibe in this family run, very authentic Mex/Salvadoran restaurant. Even offer Salvadoran beer, we will be back.Special Features:
- Good EnoughTommy13VIPDined on 6/25/2013The mature man, owner(?) was solicitous and pleasant. I would say the staff was indifferent. The food was tasty enough and plentiful. There are several places I feel could show more interest in the customer so I probably would not go back.
- Great food! Only issue, theOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 4/19/2013Great food! Only issue, the dining room was freezing!! We asked that they adjust the temperature and they did but it took a while to heat the entire place.
- They Have HORCHATA!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 4/13/2013The sampler ("El Tipico") provides a nice mix of papusa, tamale, yucca, rice, etc. And, if more were needed, they have horchata. It's not on the menu. It is awesome.Special Features:
- Food was fantastic. The onlyOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/31/2013Food was fantastic. The only person who had leftovers to take home did so because the seafood soup was so delicious he didn't want to muddle the flavor with anything else. Server could have been more organized when taking our order. We were a big group and he let everyone jump around and thus missed an order. They took care of it quickly though.Special Features:
- Consistently Awesome!OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 3/30/2013We had yet another excellent experience at Las Placitas. From the food to the service, it was fantastic. We have never been disappointed by this special place.Special Features:
- We were at the great graffittisen2007VIPDined on 3/9/2013We were at the great graffitti exhibit at the Fridge and this was a hop, skip and jump away. The food was likely the best latin cuisine (sic) we have had in a while- really super campeche fish and fajitas - and bowls of fresh, delicious salsa. The popularity of this place speaks for itself- it was packed so vibrant and cheerful with people it took us awhile to get seated. The service was very caring,the decor colorful and the neighborhood beautiful to stroll through. A very happy dining experience for us!Special Features:
- Distracted serverNancyVIPDined on 2/24/2013Our waiter was nice, but he laghed at us awkwardly when we ordered vegetarian items, which was odd. After our food got dropped off no one ever came back to the table to see if we needed anything- we both had empty drinks almost the entire dinner. We then waited a full 20 minutes after finished our food (with no drinks) to get his attention for a check. The restaurant wasn't full, it was pretty ridiculous. But there was a futbol game on that was apparently really interesting.
- Food excellent and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/15/2013Food excellent and service friendly. Prices very reasonable.Special Features:
- Fantastic Really delicious foodjoyceanDined on 2/15/2013Excellent food and service. We haven't eaten there in 15 years and it's as good as it's ever been. This is one of the old favorites that we will return often.Special Features:
- Always good food and pleasantOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/6/2013Always good food and pleasant waiters. Never feel hurried.Special Features:
- Relative low priced and greatSusanBVIPDined on 12/26/2012Relative low priced and great food! Good happy hour too!