148 South Street
Philadelphia, PA 19147Neighborhood:
MexicanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://lasbugambiliasphilly.com/
- Phone: (215) 922-3190
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday & Tuesday - Thursday: 11:30am - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 11:30am - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mexican
- Executive Chef: Carlos Molina
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant
A word from Las Bugambilias
Welcome to Las Bugambilias, a traditional Mexican restaurant located on South Street in Philadelphia. As chef and owner of this center city Philadelphia restaurant, Carlos Molina offers high quality, freshly prepared, Mexican food from three different regions in Mexico. The desserts at Bugambilias' are homemade on the premises, and we offer a full service bar, with an imaginative array of margaritas for your pleasure. When you come inside you will enjoy the warm ambiance found in our traditional decor, and welcoming staff.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Las Bugambilias reviews from OpenTable diners
20 reviews since July 28, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (17)fit for foodies (10)romantic (2)great for outdoor dining (1)hot spot (1)late-night find (1)special occasion (1)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 11/4/2014very good food and service, we enjoyed the dinner immensely. Everything from chips to appetizers to chicken mole tacos for our entree was superbSpecial Features:
- Enjoyable DinnerLuv2DineVIPDined on 9/30/2014Very nice neighborhood Mexican restaurant. We kept it simple that night, shared a very fresh salad, kitchen was nice enough to split our salad for us. Had the tacos which were very good. It was nice and busy for a Tuesday evening. I would definitely return, our server was very good!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YumYumYumVIPDined on 9/24/2014We were very pleased with everything we ordered, and our waitress was extremely accomodating, providing a nice sample taste of the crema poblana, so two of us could decide if we wanted it, and even switching it for the normal tomato sauce on my chile relleno. We'll be back!Special Features:
- chile rellenomurmade82Dined on 9/14/2014They have the best chile relleno around. there is vegetarian and meat versions. I also love the queso fundito. The xrated margarita is my favorite and the deserts are great tooSpecial Features:
- A Nice SurpriseVegetarianVIPDined on 9/6/2014We needed a place for three people, near Old City, on a Saturday evening. Looking through Open Table and there wasn't much available that wasn't meat centered. Las Bugambilias was delightful. We've traveled to different regions of Mexico many times, and this food was enjoyable with ingredients and styles from a variety of regions. The vegetables were fresh and the black beans were outstanding. We tried two vegetarian entrees and our friend had seafood. The margaritas were a hit and service was helpful. They have a very interesting looking chicken entree that comes out in a lava bowl. I was jealous and wish they would make a lava-bowl vegetarian entree. Am looking forward to returning.Special Features:
- Glad we tried it!holidaybabeDined on 8/25/2014Firstly they make their maragritas with fresh lime juice so we were already happy! The service was friendly and the food tasted fresh and delicious. Would go back!Special Features:
- MexicoTAG1VIPDined on 8/24/2014There are not a lot of chefs on the east coast who can capture the true essence of Mexican cuisine. And there are even fewer who can actually produce an excellent mole. Chef Carlos Molina has that expertise creating regional Mexican food ranging from Puebla to Yucatan. We have spent a lot of time in Mexico, know the cuisine well, and are very happy to find this talent in Philadelphia.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Stand out MexicanSteveVIPDined on 8/23/2014A very complete menu ranging from typical Tex-Mex to delightful fish, chicken, beef and pork dishes. Everything we tried was fresh with balanced flavors. The tables to the left and right of the entrance are perfect for four people - with a window onto the street and no other table next to you they're private yet open.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 90 reviews are from the Las Bugambilias reviews archive.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 7/14/2014menu is interesting, and food is prepared well enough; but became pretty concerned when the table behind us found something sharp enough to yield a mouth cut in one of their dishes. Other choices in town do just as well or better for this cuisine
- NICE BUT SLOW SERVICEgjacsongDined on 6/15/2014Very nice and clean. Our reservation was on this psst Sunday at 3:00 pm. We erre seated promptly food very tasty. Our waitress was nice but was not attentive. She brought menus but took long to take orders and restaurant wss not busy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mexican TreatDiningDuoDined on 6/4/2014We enjoyed everything about our dinner! Our reservations were for 5:30pm on a Wed night so it really wasn't crowded. It's a very small restaurant but comfortable and quaint. Our server was friendly and helpful in assisting us with our order. We started with the guacamole and chips which were delicious! We ordered Chicken Mole Traditional and Fish Tacos for our entrees and both were fresh and delicious! I told my family and friends how much we loved it and plan to come back again!Special Features:
- Good AlternativeFranDined on 6/2/2014We were going to a Phillies game and hate the food there - even in the Diamond Club. For the same amount of money we had a great meal with $5 margaritas. Sure beats a $12 cheesesteak and an $8 beer! This is our 3rd time at this restaurant and we have never been disappointed. Our server was attentive, informed and very friendly. It is one of our favorite Philly restaurants.Special Features:
- Great MexicanHappyDined on 5/4/2014The Pineapple Chipotle Margarita was awesome and set the tone for a great runchSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/23/2014I took my mother here for birthday dinner, it was a table for three. The food was delicious and the drinks were amazing, I have a soft spot for signature cocktails. Especially margaritas!Special Features:
- A hidden gemInfomancyDined on 1/26/2014A small place, tucked away on historic South St in Philadelphia, Las Bugambilias quietly delivers amazing Mexican dining. Filled with the warm colors of traditional Mexican artwork, just walking in the door was a welcome change from a cold winter evening. Everything was good: horchata, fresh guacamole, and especially the molcajete. Be sure to save room for a nice selection of deserts that include standbys like flan and tres leches cake but also some other amazing treats.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Mexican Food & Friendly CheffAZUBIDined on 1/26/2014Carlos is the Cheff and he spend good 20 minutes with us, the food was real Mexican Food and with great quality & flavor we will comeback fore sure.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!crackcrabVIPDined on 10/19/2013We were running late and graciously they held our table. The place is small. The server was friendly and sweet. I loved the x-rated margaritas. The food was deliciously fresh. The homemade salsa was fresh and not acidic. The quesadilla was so tasty it didn't need salsa or sour cream. The Enchiladas Del Mar was superb. Large portions of all dishes, so we shared. Even the desert, a crepe with fresh berries with chocolate and carmel was wonderful. Overall, a fantastic dinner. We will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Best!BrAdNVIPDined on 10/13/2013Chef Carlos is incredible. Everything is fresh, beautifully presented, and plentiful. The flavors really pop! One of my faves in Philly!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great MexicanFitnjDined on 10/12/2013Coming from central NJ it's hard to find anything close to good Mexican. Las Bugambilias is more than worth the trip to Philly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Will Keep Going BackanastasiaDined on 10/5/2013I took my friend here for a birthday dinner. Food was really good as usual and portions a decent size. The only negative thing I have to say is about the desserts. The last two times I've been to this restaurant they have told me that certain dessert options were unavailable.one of them was the pecan cookies which I've been interested in trying.Special Features:
- Great food and a good atmosphere.chamoanDined on 9/21/2013Great food and a good atmosphere. The ceviche was fantastic and the tortilla soup was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was great. Server wasBarasuDined on 9/7/2013Food was great. Server was overwhelmed. Bar tender had no idea what she was doing. We got our drinks after our appetizers and, for second round, again had up wait 20 minutes. But really good food. Would definitely go back but would order drinks and wait for them at the bar!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 2nd visit w out-of - guests.judyDined on 8/8/20132nd visit w out-of - guests. Everyone enjoyed the meal!Special Features:
- Delicious little spotRnbsn2001Dined on 8/3/2013Although this restaurant is small, it is big on flavors. Food is authentic and delicious. Service was great . Would definatley return !!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- delish!judyDined on 7/26/2013Been wanting to try this restaurant upon recommendation of a friend & so glad I finally got here. Food was excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We enjoyed the food and theOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/20/2013We enjoyed the food and the service was good. The seating is a bit cramped but i will request a different table next visit. I will return to try other menu items that looked interestingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Mexican FoodStepsiteVIPDined on 7/6/2013Small, tiny, but go for the food!!! You can get margaritas by the pitcher which adds to the fun.Special Features:
- Mother's Day DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/12/2013Food was fantastic overall and same with service. Since it was Mother's Day, the waiters took pictures of all the mothers that came in to the restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bland Fare...RobbyDined on 5/10/2013The Margarita's were ok...The Caesar salad was a big disapointment , the dressing's main ingredient seemed to be water. NO taste , just wet . As for our entrees, without too much detail they were BLAND . The ingredients seemed fresh but strangely unseasoned . An unmemorable meal at best.
- disappointeddnswsnchDined on 5/5/2013Very disappointed this time..we were here last year for Cinco de Mayo and loved ,this year we took friends and it was really a bad experience..our waitress took a long time to even come as us for a drink..seemed so disinterested in serving us and was annoyed when we ordered another round of coronas! The food this year seemed chi chi est! Not the authenic place I went ot last year..it was noisy and just all around a BAD EXPERIENCE.
- The food was very good reasonableOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/25/2013The food was very good reasonable and the service was exceptional!!!Special Features:
- Execellent menu and greatOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 4/4/2013Execellent menu and great service. Will be back to finish hte experience
- A Mexican Gem on South StreetOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/9/2013This restaurant is a gem. We loved the delicious food, perfect service and adorable ambience! Margaritas were truly Mexican and the sangria was very tasty. A true find! We will return to this restaurant each time we visit Philly!Special Features:
- The service is friendly andOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/5/2013The service is friendly and helpful, yet professional - just right! Food was excellent. It was our first time there, and I will be back!Special Features:
- Had an early dinner here afterOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/16/2013Had an early dinner here after a 2pm show at the Merrium Theater last Saturday. Food was fabulous, marguerita's were big and strong. Would definitely go again.Special Features:
- Dishes flavorful and wellOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/14/2013Dishes flavorful and well prepared. Staff attentive. A very enjoyable evening.Special Features:
- Fresh and DeliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 1/18/2013We had a great experience at Las Bugambilias. The food and service were excellent. Very bright, fresh flavors and interesting menu choices - not the typical tacos and burritos that you find in most Mexican restaurants. Was happy to find vegetarian options, too. Will definitely return.Special Features:
- Food is always excellent.memeDined on 1/16/2013Food is always excellent. Service is not always good, they tried to sit us at a table that was not comfortable, after about 5 minutes, trying to convince us that it would be comfortable, they finally moved us to another table. After everyone in the restaurant had been watching the fiasco. That started the attitude of our waitress. The bartender came over and asked us if we wanted drinks, but no one told us it was happy hour ( we knew from priovously dining there). Dinner was excellent but we were given the check without ever being asked if wanted dessert, coffee, etc. We have eaten here a few times one waitress we had prior was excellent. This was the second time we had the same waitress,and she is not very pleasant.Special Features:
- Las Bugambilias (Spanish forOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 1/15/2013Las Bugambilias (Spanish for Bougainvillea) has a small, comfortable and tastefully decorated dining room. The staff was extremely pleasant and accommodating. The clientele seemed to include many regulars. The food is traditional Mexican -- not Tex-Mex -- and was excellently prepared. We especially liked the fresh salsa served at every table with chips and the soups we had -- tortilla soup and crema mixta, which is two soups served in one bowl: cream of poblano peppers soup on one side and cream of huitlacoche soup on the other.Special Features:
- A great local Mexican spot--theyOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 1/11/2013A great local Mexican spot--they have wonderful food and margaritas (they infuse one of their tequilas with chipotle, which is delicious). Beware it's small and very tight--so I wouldn't really recommend this spot for a group-but it's a great go-to if you live in Philly.Special Features: