151 Noe Street
San Francisco, CA 94114Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://lardoisesf.com/
- Phone: (415) 437-2600
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: European, French
- Executive Chef: Thierry Clement
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Counter Seating, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wine
- Catering: Please call for details.
- Private Party Facilities: Please call for details.
A word from L'Ardoise
French Bistro serving traditional and authentic fare in a cozy atmosphere.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFrench
L'Ardoise - Best Restaurants in Castro ›
L'Ardoise reviews from OpenTable diners
172 reviews since July 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (142)fit for foodies (103)romantic (102)special occasion (96)notable wine list (53)late-night find (14)hot spot (10)good for groups (4)vibrant bar scene (2)great for lunch (2)kid-friendly (2)great for brunch (2)Show More
- Wonderful food and ambience. Consistent as can be.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/20/2014Wonderful food and ambience. Solid service. Consistency beyond reproach. We had a great evening as usual.Special Features:
- A little bit of Paris on Noe StreetGregoryDined on 11/19/2014L'ardoise reminded me of bistros I've visited in Paris. Everything about the dining experience was superb. Service was outstanding. Every single bite of each course was delicious and the wine list had something for everyone. I'll definitely be going back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceeded expectationsJimmyVIPDined on 11/8/2014Great food, great service, great experience. Definitely coming back soonSpecial Features:
- As usual, wonderful! Bon appetitGourmetGeoffDined on 11/7/2014Once again this is one of those marvelous San Francisco neighborhood restaurants that surpasses all the others. Amazing from entrees to les plats and the desserts were the perfect ending to a marvelous meal. The staff are amusing, informative and attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Restaurant!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/7/2014We went to this restaurant for my wife's birthday. The restaurant decor is perfect, but the tables are a little too close to one another (where you can smell the neighboring charcuterie plates). The waiter was quick to give us bread and bring us wine, and were aware at all times - water, bread, everything. My wife's carrot soup and my prawn ravioles appetizers were spectacular - we're still craving it. The App portions were generous. The dinners (my wife got the sea bass special, and I got the coq au vin) were superb. Our desserts were perfect, floating island and the chocolate fondant, and they even brought a candle for her. We can't wait to go back. Everything was appropriately priced, and the experience has me ready to go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Classic solid French bistroOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/7/2014If you are craving a duck leg confit, or a rooster in red-wine sauce, you came to the right place. The owner will have you seated quickly, and honors the 'first-come-first-serve' queue. I had the duck leg. The goat-cheese starter was amazing. Highly recommended. Service was attentative but not too much. All people french, so very authentic. Looking forward to get back there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this place!jl55VIPDined on 11/7/2014Food, wine and service great as usual. Love this neighborhood gem!Special Features:
- lrsj50VIPDined on 11/6/2014L'Ardoise is always fabulous. I'm always transported to Paris once I walk through the door. The staff is attentive & friendly and the food is wonderful. Unfortunately, people have discovered my little hidden gem, so it isn't so easy to get a table anymore.Special Features:
- Superb!EBFoodieVIPDined on 11/4/2014What a wonderful way to spend the evening. We have never been here and were wowed by the service, food, and friendly atmosphere. A small restaurant, but what a delightful way to spend the evening. It's been a long time since we had a meal so good.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 11/4/2014Dinner was great. The food, wine and service all fantastic. The server suggested a great bottle of red to go with our pasta appetizer and filet mignon dinner. The wine was exactly as described. I speak a little French so it was fun practicing with the owner and servers.Special Features:
- Great neighborhood restaurantGordonDined on 11/1/2014Heard about L'Ardoise on Check Please, who said reservations could be hard to come by. So, we were surprised when we booked Wed. for a Sat. evening dinner to celebrate my wife's birthday. The property lived up to it's billing - a charming, cozy neighborhood spot with good food. Tables are squeezed in, close enough so that you are privy to the neighboring table conversation. We ordered only main courses and were surprised how quickly the food came. My wife had salmon, very tasty & moist. I had duck confit, which was good, but a bit dry (needed more gravy). The accompanying sliced potatoes were quite tasty. This place is one of the many neighborhood gems in S.F.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always consistently fabulouscherylVIPDined on 10/31/2014I always have a great meal, great service and a wonderful ambiance. Love this restaurant and the staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dinahVIPDined on 10/28/2014A wonderful restaurant with a truly bistro ambiance - the best coq au vin in the city and a great butter lettuce salad with anchovies. My fri ends rave about the duck confit. And it's a nice walk from my home.Special Features:
- World Class French FooddphippsVIPDined on 10/25/2014We've traveled extensively but never found French food quite as good as L'Ardoise can deliver. Their magnificent chef, the exquisite service, their memorable wine list, their killer location in Noe Valley, the ambiance all add up to a world class experience. I recommend the duck confit or the fish, but don't forget the amazing soup - always made fresh with almost all just vegetables pureed - or the delicious salads.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Alway's look forward to L'ArdoiseOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/25/2014My girlfriend and I have shared several special occasions here and continue to love every minute of our experience.Special Features:
- A gemDrVincentDined on 10/21/2014I love this place. Serious good food. Great atmosphere and great family vibe. It is my favorite neighborhood placeSpecial Features:
- perfect couples date spotsamsgrrl00VIPDined on 10/18/2014Lovely dinner spot for friends in the neighborhood.Special Features:
- Joseph1Dined on 10/16/2014As wonderful as it always is! Can't wait to return and experience that authentic French experience without leaving San FranciscoSpecial Features:
- Great placeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/11/2014We were able to practice our french!! The service was great and location is perfect.Special Features:
- A paris bistro in the castrocherylVIPDined on 10/11/2014I go to paris every year and it was wonderful to find L'Ardoise, a real paris bistro in the castro. I eat here all the time and wanted to update my past review. 6 of us ate here last week. Still the same....excellent food, service and a wonderfully quiet ambiance. We loved the duck, seafood bouillabaisse, hanger steak and lamb. Meat tender, delicious and flavorful and the seafood varied and yummy. We had the escargot, charcuterie and salads beforehand, brussel sprout salad fabulous and we polished off a delicious chateauneuf du pape and then St. Julien. some yummie desserts, a floating island and the apple tart. Hard to get a reservation quick but worth the waitSpecial Features:
- fuzzyDined on 10/9/2014A charming, small, and cozy little piece of Paris on a quiet street. We had our after-wedding dinner there. Service was impeccable. Will visit again. Make reservations WELL in advance, this place is a gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SO GOODOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 10/4/2014This is my third time and it just always delivers. The rack of lamb is out of this world. Had a visiting friend in town and she really loved it. It was a great little neighborhood gem.Special Features:
- Nice restaurantlovefoodandrealestateDined on 10/4/2014It was a nice restaurant and the food was not bad but it was not an incredible experience.Special Features:
- SeePancho1Dined on 10/2/2014I have been going L'Ardoise since it opened. Never been disappointing. A very romantic place for couples.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic foodDiDoDined on 10/2/2014A small, quite tightly packed restaurant. The food was the best we had in America, but not good for a quiet, intimate meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect for our celebration dinnerfoodISloveDined on 9/26/2014We dined at L'Ardoise, with friends, after we were married earlier at city hall. The service was fantastic, the food amazing and they even took care of my special request. The escargot were tasty and even our friends, who don't like new things enjoyed it. Everyone's entree was prepared to perfection, with high quality ingredients and we spent was we feel was a reasonable amount for 2 appetizers, 4 entrees and 2 bottles of wine. I definitely plan on going back!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 9/23/2014We had a wonderful time there on my partner's birthday. The Tiger Prawn Ravioli was fantastic. My partner loved the filet mignon ("melt in your mouth"). We both loved the Floating Island for dessert. The other courses we had (charcuterie plate, escargot, duck confit) were all very good, as well, but the above stood out. Would definitely recommend this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Big things come in small packagesOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 9/19/2014Everything about L'Ardoise is perfect - the food, the service and the ambience. The restaurant is small which adds to its charm; the effect is cozy and comfortable, not crowded. While the service is attentive, it is relaxed. There is no dress code but women will have a great excuse to break out (or break in) a nice pair of shoes with an LBD (or jeans and a nice top), and the men can rock a blazer-jeans/slacks-shirt with a nice pair of boots.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- sharDined on 9/18/2014food was outstanding service great everything plated beautifully.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Must in San FranciscoDiningdoorDined on 9/17/2014Restaurant was recommended on Trip Advisor. We were staying in Union Square so was a long cab ride but well worth it! Food was creative and well prepared, a charming space and nice ambiance. Felt like we were in a French Bistro in Paris! They called a cab for our return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great MealTravelersueVIPDined on 9/11/2014We really enjoyed our meal here. Great food, good service, especially love the small neighborhood restaurant atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good traditional French foodsanfrandanDined on 9/11/2014Entrees were OK. My duck confit was a bit dry. Appetizers were very good. Wine was a bit pricy, but the bottle we had (at the bottom of the price range) was good.Special Features:
- Giant's postgame pleasureficimiaDined on 9/11/2014We love intimate restaurants, and L'Ardoise was a great find for us. We were warmly welcomed by the hostess and our server soon followed with the specials. The menu has a number of attractive offerings, making it difficult to decide. We were pleased with the prawn ravioles followed by duck confit and halibut. The wine list has a nice representation of French, California and Oregon wines, all well chosen for the menu. The service is very attentive. but no one hovers. Excellent coffee brought a fitting close to a very enjoyable experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Dinner so far in California!DbondDined on 9/10/2014Found L'Ardoise from the great reviews on tripadvisor. We weren't disappointed ! I had the leg of duck and my Fiancee had the Risotto, both were amazing. Loved the restaurant, great service and good wine list too. Very reasonable prices. Definitely our favourite restaurant of our California trip so far, Highly recommend ! Book a a table to avoid disappointment ! :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good butJLo93200Dined on 9/10/2014Specially good for people who doesnt knows french foodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but uninspiringOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/10/2014We were excited about l'Ardoise from all the good reviews. We were well received and our reserved table was waiting for us. We ordered a great green salad, coq au vin and a risotto with mushrooms and parmesan. We started out with the salad and a very good chardonnay (Toquade from Napa). But then we were disappointed by the coq au vin. It was OK but not outstanding. So we were a bit disappointed.Special Features:
- FANTASTICFrench4MeDined on 9/9/2014This was my second visit to L'Ardoise, and just as my first visit, everything was fantastic. The service, attention to detail and guest experiences, and the food and wine were all superb and fantastic. Each morsel of food dances on the palate with rich and delightful taste experiences and an overall sense of satiation. The restaurant is small and always crowded, but the crowds are testament to the food and service, and although small and crowded, the staff provide a quality of service and dining experience that the guests seem not to notice the close proximity of other guests, but focus instead on the delicious cuisine that is put before them. A spectacular dining experience for those who love fantastic foodSpecial Features:
- Are we in Paris?OpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 9/9/2014The minute you walk through the heavy curtains you are in Paris. From the greeting by the owner, the menu board and the subdued lighting you know that it will be a special treat. The menu is traditional French with local seasonal specialties. The wine list is somewhat pricey but then what wine list is not these days? The service is attentive but not intrusive. The desserts are traditional and well executed. All in all, a very pleasant evening and you don't have to exchange dollars for euros and travel thousands of miles. Reservations a must.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!BryanDined on 9/9/2014Have enjoyed L'Ardoise numerous times and it is consistently a wonderful experience. The staff are all very courteous and professional. My guests and I always receive a warm and friendly greeting. The service is very attentive and quick without being intrusive or rushing. The food is always delicious! Writing this I am wondering when I can get back to L'Ardoise...can't wait!Special Features:
- Romantic As EverAndrewVIPDined on 9/5/2014Probably the best part of L'Ardoise is the ambiance. It is reminiscent of a neighborhood French Bistro with a sultry yet lively atmosphere. Just right for a romantic evening. Prices have moderated of late; making an outing here quite accessible. Most notably is a well priced wine list with some excellent bargains. The food has not fared as well, perhaps due to price moderation. Dishes tend toward a one-note presence and few could be called exciting. Then again, it is the only restaurant of its caliber in the neighborhood and has that aura to be rightfully packed almost every night. Depending on your mood or the mood you fantasize about, can make this an enticing option in Duboce triangle.Special Features: