151 Noe Street
San Francisco, CA 94114Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://lardoisesf.com/
- Phone: 4154372600
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: European, French
- Executive Chef: Thierry Clement
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Counter Seating, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wine
- Catering: Please call for details.
- Private Party Facilities: Please call for details.
A word from L'Ardoise
French Bistro serving traditional and authentic fare in a cozy atmosphere.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
- Diners' Choice WinnerFrench
L'Ardoise - Best Restaurants in Castro ›
L'Ardoise reviews from OpenTable diners
140 reviews since May 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (116)romantic (87)special occasion (81)fit for foodies (75)notable wine list (47)late-night find (15)good for groups (4)hot spot (4)kid-friendly (2)vibrant bar scene (2)great for brunch (1)great for lunch (1)Show More
- Big things come in small packagesOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 9/19/2014Everything about L'Ardoise is perfect - the food, the service and the ambience. The restaurant is small which adds to its charm; the effect is cozy and comfortable, not crowded. While the service is attentive, it is relaxed. There is no dress code but women will have a great excuse to break out (or break in) a nice pair of shoes with an LBD (or jeans and a nice top), and the men can rock a blazer-jeans/slacks-shirt with a nice pair of boots.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- sharDined on 9/18/2014food was outstanding service great everything plated beautifully.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Must in San FranciscoOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/17/2014Restaurant was recommended on Trip Advisor. We were staying in Union Square so was a long cab ride but well worth it! Food was creative and well prepared, a charming space and nice ambiance. Felt like we were in a French Bistro in Paris! They called a cab for our return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good traditional French foodsanfrandanDined on 9/11/2014Entrees were OK. My duck confit was a bit dry. Appetizers were very good. Wine was a bit pricy, but the bottle we had (at the bottom of the price range) was good.Special Features:
- Giant's postgame pleasureficimiaDined on 9/11/2014We love intimate restaurants, and L'Ardoise was a great find for us. We were warmly welcomed by the hostess and our server soon followed with the specials. The menu has a number of attractive offerings, making it difficult to decide. We were pleased with the prawn ravioles followed by duck confit and halibut. The wine list has a nice representation of French, California and Oregon wines, all well chosen for the menu. The service is very attentive. but no one hovers. Excellent coffee brought a fitting close to a very enjoyable experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Dinner so far in California!DbondDined on 9/10/2014Found L'Ardoise from the great reviews on tripadvisor. We weren't disappointed ! I had the leg of duck and my Fiancee had the Risotto, both were amazing. Loved the restaurant, great service and good wine list too. Very reasonable prices. Definitely our favourite restaurant of our California trip so far, Highly recommend ! Book a a table to avoid disappointment ! :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good butJLo93200Dined on 9/10/2014Specially good for people who doesnt knows french foodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but uninspiringOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/10/2014We were excited about l'Ardoise from all the good reviews. We were well received and our reserved table was waiting for us. We ordered a great green salad, coq au vin and a risotto with mushrooms and parmesan. We started out with the salad and a very good chardonnay (Toquade from Napa). But then we were disappointed by the coq au vin. It was OK but not outstanding. So we were a bit disappointed.Special Features:
- FANTASTICFrench4MeDined on 9/9/2014This was my second visit to L'Ardoise, and just as my first visit, everything was fantastic. The service, attention to detail and guest experiences, and the food and wine were all superb and fantastic. Each morsel of food dances on the palate with rich and delightful taste experiences and an overall sense of satiation. The restaurant is small and always crowded, but the crowds are testament to the food and service, and although small and crowded, the staff provide a quality of service and dining experience that the guests seem not to notice the close proximity of other guests, but focus instead on the delicious cuisine that is put before them. A spectacular dining experience for those who love fantastic foodSpecial Features:
- Are we in Paris?OpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 9/9/2014The minute you walk through the heavy curtains you are in Paris. From the greeting by the owner, the menu board and the subdued lighting you know that it will be a special treat. The menu is traditional French with local seasonal specialties. The wine list is somewhat pricey but then what wine list is not these days? The service is attentive but not intrusive. The desserts are traditional and well executed. All in all, a very pleasant evening and you don't have to exchange dollars for euros and travel thousands of miles. Reservations a must.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!BryanDined on 9/9/2014Have enjoyed L'Ardoise numerous times and it is consistently a wonderful experience. The staff are all very courteous and professional. My guests and I always receive a warm and friendly greeting. The service is very attentive and quick without being intrusive or rushing. The food is always delicious! Writing this I am wondering when I can get back to L'Ardoise...can't wait!Special Features:
- Romantic As EverAndrewVIPDined on 9/5/2014Probably the best part of L'Ardoise is the ambiance. It is reminiscent of a neighborhood French Bistro with a sultry yet lively atmosphere. Just right for a romantic evening. Prices have moderated of late; making an outing here quite accessible. Most notably is a well priced wine list with some excellent bargains. The food has not fared as well, perhaps due to price moderation. Dishes tend toward a one-note presence and few could be called exciting. Then again, it is the only restaurant of its caliber in the neighborhood and has that aura to be rightfully packed almost every night. Depending on your mood or the mood you fantasize about, can make this an enticing option in Duboce triangle.Special Features:
- Delicious, authentic French foodFlavrluvrDined on 9/4/2014Amazing food and staff so warm and welcoming you feel as if dining at a good friend's home. The decor is comfy rather than high end or pretentious. Just as it should be to complete the feeling of keeping the guests at ease. This restaurant capturesvthecessence of French life, being serious about food and relaxed and genuine with friends. Loved our experience there!Special Features:
- Great bistroOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/4/2014Snails w garlic and parsley, prawn ravioli, fig salad, coq au vin, steak and halibut. All familiar bistro fare cooked beautifully. Although we were without kids this time and hadn't been for a year, the staff remembered us and them. Great service from a team that has been there consistently. We won't wait so long to return.....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticSudhirDined on 8/30/2014We have been coming to L'ardoise for a few years now. The food and ambiance are amazing! The staff is always on point and the overall experience is something everyone should share with a loved one at least once.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I have found the bestBest1Dined on 8/29/2014I have eaten out all over country and I am a chef, caterer owner and former hotel manager. I know this business and what it takes make it have 5 stars! This place is blazing! I am already planning two more events. Parking is hell cab over and back and our first server was great and the server whose station we sat in was not as nice but still very good at his job. He was late for work. LolSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- did not disappointtryanything1ceDined on 8/28/2014Went there for a special occasion based on the reviews here and I must say the food was indeed outstanding. Not a massive selection, but what there was on the menu was done to perfection. We asked for a table away from traffic and noise and thankfully they kindly obliged and of all the tables there I dare say we got one of the best. However, the proximity to neighboring patrons was a little constricting, so I wouldn't go there for a romantic meal or to have a particularly private conversation but simply to enjoy magnificently delicious food.Special Features:
- Great restaurantJackiecaswellVIPDined on 8/23/2014A really nice upmarket neighborhood gem. Great wine, gray food and friendly efficient service. We will be back.Special Features:
- Not in the 'romantic' decibel rangemark99kDined on 8/20/2014Can't figure out why this is so often listed as a romantic place to dine. Most of the time we couldn't hear the waitress or ourselves. The food was quite good, so it might be fine for a deaf person, but we won't be back.
- Birthday at l'ardoiseJeneatsDined on 8/19/2014We had a lovely birthday dinner at l'ardoise. It felt as if we were in an intimate candlelit Paris bistro. The food is traditional french with a California twist. It's nice to have a little piece if Paris in San Francisco.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food if a bit salty.JB10VIPDined on 8/8/2014Excellent charcuterie appetizer and coq au vin entree. Food somewhat salty. Still it is a great neighborhood spot and is still busy at 10pm.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NiceViewDined on 8/6/2014The tiger prawn ravioli is perfect! The waiters are nice and sweet as well.Special Features:
- Great neighborhood bistroOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 8/6/2014We have eaten at this restaurant a few times and have always had outstanding food. The service has always been excellent and the ambience of the bistro gives you a feeling that you are in Paris. If you enjoy traditional french cuisine then this is the place for you Our tab came to around $100 for the two of us. We each had a starter course, entree, one dessert and a total of three glasses on wine.Special Features:
- Great meal, wonderful ambiancestacyDined on 8/5/2014Had a great meal in a great cozy place. We'll be back for years to come!Special Features:
- Always consistentProfoodieDined on 8/1/2014For years the restaurant has always served consistently great food and the service staff are excellentSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/1/2014All the charm and ambiance of a Classic French bistro. Authentic decor and atmosphere. Excellent service and food. Very good wine list. A totally pleasant experienceSpecial Features:
- exceeded all expectationsAlexanderMooreVIPDined on 7/31/2014really a gem restaurant and such great food! totally authentic too!Special Features:
- Great DiscoveryJorgeDDined on 7/29/2014After all, it was worth the wait to obtain a reservation. The service is as good and the food outstanding. Crëme Broulee shoudl come in a shallower dish, but nevertheless is awesomeSpecial Features:
- Romanic dinnerWayfarerDined on 7/29/2014We were so happy with dining at L'Ardoise that we went there on two consecutive evenings while on holiday in San Francisco. The location is great and romantically secluded from the noisy streets in the Castro. The atmosphere is very soothing, even though diners sit quite close to each other and it can't be described as a quiet restaurant. The food was just excellent. I would recommend this restaurant to any visitor to San Francisco!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner with John McchocoladVIPDined on 7/29/2014L'Ardoise has become a favourite for us whenever John visits. He comes from Chicago three or four times a year. We both passed on enjoyed on an appetizer and had the Salmon. It was well prepared and perfectly cooked. He had the Floating Island and I had the raspberry tart, which we both enjoyed. The service is always good and the staff very attentive without being obtrusive. I highly recommend L'Ardoise to all my friends.Special Features:
- Great placeDeanWDined on 7/26/2014Great wine list and fantastic food. Prawn raviolis and duck confit were outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Intimate space, fantastic food.Melissaloo27VIPDined on 7/26/2014Waiters rarely recommend wine I truly enjoy, so I was truly impressed when the bottle he opened was just what I was hoping for! The charcuterie was fantastic and generous. Tiger prawn ravioles were exquisite and delicate both in taste and texture. My boyfriend had the seafood cassoulet and was very pleased with the array of seafood in a rich, savory lobster sauce. Dining room was intimate, yes that's a nice way of saying I can hear other people's conversations, ha ha. But what the space lacked the servers made up for in attitude and attentiveness. We will most certainly return and recommend this neighborhood gem to anyone looking for a fantastic meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- France comes to DubocesolidDined on 7/22/2014I had a fabulous birthday dinner here, complete with delicious wine and the most scrumptious flourless chocolate cake (and I'm not even a cake person). All dishes were plentiful and fabulous and so I left full (but not stuffed!). Great place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- bingo!IowryaDined on 7/22/2014great food and attentive staff. The four of us had a wonderful time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- tasty, but really hot roomcptbytemeDined on 7/5/2014The food and wine were great, but the room was really really hot. Also, though the food came out quickly, it was hard to get a waiter's attention and took a long while to get the check, so I can only give the service 3 stars.Special Features:
- Always LovelyDebSDined on 7/2/2014We eat here regularly. It is a reliably great date place! The service is pleasant and perfect, without being pretentious. The food is always delicious. It's not ultra-cheap but is easily affordable. The atmosphere is quiet enough and lighting is nice. In short, an easy, romantic, delicious place for a casual date.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My favorite French restaurant in SFDanielDined on 7/1/2014Charming, small French boutique restaurant with impeccable service and exquisite food. The ambience is cozy and unpretentious, with friendly waiters and a small menu where every dish is extremely flavorful. Of course deserts are to die for and the wine is not to be missed. Expect to pay at least $50 per person, but it is worth it to treat yourself to this heavenly restaurant at least every once in awhile.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Parisian BistroStellaDined on 6/27/2014Wonderful dinner! We had a simple steak frites salad and it was so delicious and perfectly cooked and the aiole they served with the French fries was divine. It was better than bistro meals we ate in Paris and friendlier too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our Anniversary DinnerBurtDined on 6/24/2014Every year we come here on our anniversary. We were in Paris on our honeymoon and L'Ardoise totally recalls the wonderful ambience of the restaurants we most enjoyed then and on subsequent visits. But after our first visit to L'Ardoise, we decided we could celebrate more than once a year! That is to say, dinner here makes the celebration. I hesitate to say more because this is a wonderful gem and I want to make sure I can get a table ;-)Special Features:
- Great Anniversary DinnerACAnadillaDined on 6/21/2014We spent the entire day in the city and wanted a nice quiet dinner away from Union Square where we were staying. The food was amazing! Service was just as great! Our wine glasses were always full and we we enjoyed every bite. We will definitely be back to try out the other items on the menu.Special Features: