151 Noe Street
San Francisco, CA 94114Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://lardoisesf.com/
- Phone: 4154372600
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: European, French
- Executive Chef: Thierry Clement
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Counter Seating, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wine
- Catering: Please call for details.
- Private Party Facilities: Please call for details.
A word from L'Ardoise
French Bistro serving traditional and authentic fare in a cozy atmosphere.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFrench
L'Ardoise - Best Restaurants in Castro ›
L'Ardoise reviews from OpenTable diners
150 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (123)romantic (91)fit for foodies (85)special occasion (82)notable wine list (46)late-night find (13)hot spot (5)good for groups (4)great for lunch (2)kid-friendly (2)great for brunch (2)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- perfect couples date spotOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 10/18/2014Lovely dinner spot for friends in the neighborhood.Special Features:
- Joseph1Dined on 10/16/2014As wonderful as it always is! Can't wait to return and experience that authentic French experience without leaving San FranciscoSpecial Features:
- Great placeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/11/2014We were able to practice our french!! The service was great and location is perfect.Special Features:
- A paris bistro in the castrocherylVIPDined on 10/11/2014I go to paris every year and it was wonderful to find L'Ardoise, a real paris bistro in the castro. I eat here all the time and wanted to update my past review. 6 of us ate here last week. Still the same....excellent food, service and a wonderfully quiet ambiance. We loved the duck, seafood bouillabaisse, hanger steak and lamb. Meat tender, delicious and flavorful and the seafood varied and yummy. We had the escargot, charcuterie and salads beforehand, brussel sprout salad fabulous and we polished off a delicious chateauneuf du pape and then St. Julien. some yummie desserts, a floating island and the apple tart. Hard to get a reservation quick but worth the waitSpecial Features:
- fuzzyDined on 10/9/2014A charming, small, and cozy little piece of Paris on a quiet street. We had our after-wedding dinner there. Service was impeccable. Will visit again. Make reservations WELL in advance, this place is a gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SO GOODOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 10/4/2014This is my third time and it just always delivers. The rack of lamb is out of this world. Had a visiting friend in town and she really loved it. It was a great little neighborhood gem.Special Features:
- Nice restaurantlovefoodandrealestateDined on 10/4/2014It was a nice restaurant and the food was not bad but it was not an incredible experience.Special Features:
- SeePancho1Dined on 10/2/2014I have been going L'Ardoise since it opened. Never been disappointing. A very romantic place for couples.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic foodDiDoDined on 10/2/2014A small, quite tightly packed restaurant. The food was the best we had in America, but not good for a quiet, intimate meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect for our celebration dinnerfoodISloveDined on 9/26/2014We dined at L'Ardoise, with friends, after we were married earlier at city hall. The service was fantastic, the food amazing and they even took care of my special request. The escargot were tasty and even our friends, who don't like new things enjoyed it. Everyone's entree was prepared to perfection, with high quality ingredients and we spent was we feel was a reasonable amount for 2 appetizers, 4 entrees and 2 bottles of wine. I definitely plan on going back!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 9/23/2014We had a wonderful time there on my partner's birthday. The Tiger Prawn Ravioli was fantastic. My partner loved the filet mignon ("melt in your mouth"). We both loved the Floating Island for dessert. The other courses we had (charcuterie plate, escargot, duck confit) were all very good, as well, but the above stood out. Would definitely recommend this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Big things come in small packagesOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 9/19/2014Everything about L'Ardoise is perfect - the food, the service and the ambience. The restaurant is small which adds to its charm; the effect is cozy and comfortable, not crowded. While the service is attentive, it is relaxed. There is no dress code but women will have a great excuse to break out (or break in) a nice pair of shoes with an LBD (or jeans and a nice top), and the men can rock a blazer-jeans/slacks-shirt with a nice pair of boots.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- sharDined on 9/18/2014food was outstanding service great everything plated beautifully.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Must in San FranciscoDiningdoorDined on 9/17/2014Restaurant was recommended on Trip Advisor. We were staying in Union Square so was a long cab ride but well worth it! Food was creative and well prepared, a charming space and nice ambiance. Felt like we were in a French Bistro in Paris! They called a cab for our return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good traditional French foodsanfrandanDined on 9/11/2014Entrees were OK. My duck confit was a bit dry. Appetizers were very good. Wine was a bit pricy, but the bottle we had (at the bottom of the price range) was good.Special Features:
- Giant's postgame pleasureficimiaDined on 9/11/2014We love intimate restaurants, and L'Ardoise was a great find for us. We were warmly welcomed by the hostess and our server soon followed with the specials. The menu has a number of attractive offerings, making it difficult to decide. We were pleased with the prawn ravioles followed by duck confit and halibut. The wine list has a nice representation of French, California and Oregon wines, all well chosen for the menu. The service is very attentive. but no one hovers. Excellent coffee brought a fitting close to a very enjoyable experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Dinner so far in California!DbondDined on 9/10/2014Found L'Ardoise from the great reviews on tripadvisor. We weren't disappointed ! I had the leg of duck and my Fiancee had the Risotto, both were amazing. Loved the restaurant, great service and good wine list too. Very reasonable prices. Definitely our favourite restaurant of our California trip so far, Highly recommend ! Book a a table to avoid disappointment ! :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good butJLo93200Dined on 9/10/2014Specially good for people who doesnt knows french foodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but uninspiringOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/10/2014We were excited about l'Ardoise from all the good reviews. We were well received and our reserved table was waiting for us. We ordered a great green salad, coq au vin and a risotto with mushrooms and parmesan. We started out with the salad and a very good chardonnay (Toquade from Napa). But then we were disappointed by the coq au vin. It was OK but not outstanding. So we were a bit disappointed.Special Features:
- FANTASTICFrench4MeDined on 9/9/2014This was my second visit to L'Ardoise, and just as my first visit, everything was fantastic. The service, attention to detail and guest experiences, and the food and wine were all superb and fantastic. Each morsel of food dances on the palate with rich and delightful taste experiences and an overall sense of satiation. The restaurant is small and always crowded, but the crowds are testament to the food and service, and although small and crowded, the staff provide a quality of service and dining experience that the guests seem not to notice the close proximity of other guests, but focus instead on the delicious cuisine that is put before them. A spectacular dining experience for those who love fantastic foodSpecial Features:
- Are we in Paris?OpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 9/9/2014The minute you walk through the heavy curtains you are in Paris. From the greeting by the owner, the menu board and the subdued lighting you know that it will be a special treat. The menu is traditional French with local seasonal specialties. The wine list is somewhat pricey but then what wine list is not these days? The service is attentive but not intrusive. The desserts are traditional and well executed. All in all, a very pleasant evening and you don't have to exchange dollars for euros and travel thousands of miles. Reservations a must.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!BryanDined on 9/9/2014Have enjoyed L'Ardoise numerous times and it is consistently a wonderful experience. The staff are all very courteous and professional. My guests and I always receive a warm and friendly greeting. The service is very attentive and quick without being intrusive or rushing. The food is always delicious! Writing this I am wondering when I can get back to L'Ardoise...can't wait!Special Features:
- Romantic As EverAndrewVIPDined on 9/5/2014Probably the best part of L'Ardoise is the ambiance. It is reminiscent of a neighborhood French Bistro with a sultry yet lively atmosphere. Just right for a romantic evening. Prices have moderated of late; making an outing here quite accessible. Most notably is a well priced wine list with some excellent bargains. The food has not fared as well, perhaps due to price moderation. Dishes tend toward a one-note presence and few could be called exciting. Then again, it is the only restaurant of its caliber in the neighborhood and has that aura to be rightfully packed almost every night. Depending on your mood or the mood you fantasize about, can make this an enticing option in Duboce triangle.Special Features:
- Delicious, authentic French foodFlavrluvrDined on 9/4/2014Amazing food and staff so warm and welcoming you feel as if dining at a good friend's home. The decor is comfy rather than high end or pretentious. Just as it should be to complete the feeling of keeping the guests at ease. This restaurant capturesvthecessence of French life, being serious about food and relaxed and genuine with friends. Loved our experience there!Special Features:
- Great bistroOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/4/2014Snails w garlic and parsley, prawn ravioli, fig salad, coq au vin, steak and halibut. All familiar bistro fare cooked beautifully. Although we were without kids this time and hadn't been for a year, the staff remembered us and them. Great service from a team that has been there consistently. We won't wait so long to return.....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticSudhirDined on 8/30/2014We have been coming to L'ardoise for a few years now. The food and ambiance are amazing! The staff is always on point and the overall experience is something everyone should share with a loved one at least once.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I have found the bestBest1Dined on 8/29/2014I have eaten out all over country and I am a chef, caterer owner and former hotel manager. I know this business and what it takes make it have 5 stars! This place is blazing! I am already planning two more events. Parking is hell cab over and back and our first server was great and the server whose station we sat in was not as nice but still very good at his job. He was late for work. LolSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- did not disappointtryanything1ceDined on 8/28/2014Went there for a special occasion based on the reviews here and I must say the food was indeed outstanding. Not a massive selection, but what there was on the menu was done to perfection. We asked for a table away from traffic and noise and thankfully they kindly obliged and of all the tables there I dare say we got one of the best. However, the proximity to neighboring patrons was a little constricting, so I wouldn't go there for a romantic meal or to have a particularly private conversation but simply to enjoy magnificently delicious food.Special Features:
- Great restaurantJackiecaswellVIPDined on 8/23/2014A really nice upmarket neighborhood gem. Great wine, gray food and friendly efficient service. We will be back.Special Features:
- Not in the 'romantic' decibel rangemark99kDined on 8/20/2014Can't figure out why this is so often listed as a romantic place to dine. Most of the time we couldn't hear the waitress or ourselves. The food was quite good, so it might be fine for a deaf person, but we won't be back.
- Birthday at l'ardoiseJeneatsDined on 8/19/2014We had a lovely birthday dinner at l'ardoise. It felt as if we were in an intimate candlelit Paris bistro. The food is traditional french with a California twist. It's nice to have a little piece if Paris in San Francisco.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food if a bit salty.JB10VIPDined on 8/8/2014Excellent charcuterie appetizer and coq au vin entree. Food somewhat salty. Still it is a great neighborhood spot and is still busy at 10pm.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NiceViewDined on 8/6/2014The tiger prawn ravioli is perfect! The waiters are nice and sweet as well.Special Features:
- Great neighborhood bistroOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 8/6/2014We have eaten at this restaurant a few times and have always had outstanding food. The service has always been excellent and the ambience of the bistro gives you a feeling that you are in Paris. If you enjoy traditional french cuisine then this is the place for you Our tab came to around $100 for the two of us. We each had a starter course, entree, one dessert and a total of three glasses on wine.Special Features:
- Great meal, wonderful ambiancestacyDined on 8/5/2014Had a great meal in a great cozy place. We'll be back for years to come!Special Features:
- Always consistentProfoodieDined on 8/1/2014For years the restaurant has always served consistently great food and the service staff are excellentSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/1/2014All the charm and ambiance of a Classic French bistro. Authentic decor and atmosphere. Excellent service and food. Very good wine list. A totally pleasant experienceSpecial Features:
- exceeded all expectationsAlexanderMooreVIPDined on 7/31/2014really a gem restaurant and such great food! totally authentic too!Special Features:
- Great DiscoveryJorgeDDined on 7/29/2014After all, it was worth the wait to obtain a reservation. The service is as good and the food outstanding. Crëme Broulee shoudl come in a shallower dish, but nevertheless is awesomeSpecial Features:
- Romanic dinnerWayfarerDined on 7/29/2014We were so happy with dining at L'Ardoise that we went there on two consecutive evenings while on holiday in San Francisco. The location is great and romantically secluded from the noisy streets in the Castro. The atmosphere is very soothing, even though diners sit quite close to each other and it can't be described as a quiet restaurant. The food was just excellent. I would recommend this restaurant to any visitor to San Francisco!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.