151 Noe Street
San Francisco, CA 94114Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://lardoisesf.com/
- Phone: 4154372600
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: European, French
- Executive Chef: Thierry Clement
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Counter Seating, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wine
- Catering: Please call for details.
- Private Party Facilities: Please call for details.
A word from L'Ardoise
French Bistro serving traditional and authentic fare in a cozy atmosphere.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFrench
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
L'Ardoise - Best Restaurants in Castro ›
L'Ardoise reviews from OpenTable diners
135 reviews since May 4, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (110)romantic (88)special occasion (73)fit for foodies (65)notable wine list (44)late-night find (11)hot spot (5)good for groups (3)kid-friendly (2)vibrant bar scene (2)great for brunch (1)Show More
- did not disappointOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/28/2014Went there for a special occasion based on the reviews here and I must say the food was indeed outstanding. Not a massive selection, but what there was on the menu was done to perfection. We asked for a table away from traffic and noise and thankfully they kindly obliged and of all the tables there I dare say we got one of the best. However, the proximity to neighboring patrons was a little constricting, so I wouldn't go there for a romantic meal or to have a particularly private conversation but simply to enjoy magnificently delicious food.Special Features:
- Great restaurantJackiecaswellVIPDined on 8/23/2014A really nice upmarket neighborhood gem. Great wine, gray food and friendly efficient service. We will be back.Special Features:
- Not in the 'romantic' decibel rangemark99kDined on 8/20/2014Can't figure out why this is so often listed as a romantic place to dine. Most of the time we couldn't hear the waitress or ourselves. The food was quite good, so it might be fine for a deaf person, but we won't be back.
- Birthday at l'ardoiseJeneatsDined on 8/19/2014We had a lovely birthday dinner at l'ardoise. It felt as if we were in an intimate candlelit Paris bistro. The food is traditional french with a California twist. It's nice to have a little piece if Paris in San Francisco.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food if a bit salty.JB10VIPDined on 8/8/2014Excellent charcuterie appetizer and coq au vin entree. Food somewhat salty. Still it is a great neighborhood spot and is still busy at 10pm.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NiceViewDined on 8/6/2014The tiger prawn ravioli is perfect! The waiters are nice and sweet as well.Special Features:
- Great neighborhood bistroOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 8/6/2014We have eaten at this restaurant a few times and have always had outstanding food. The service has always been excellent and the ambience of the bistro gives you a feeling that you are in Paris. If you enjoy traditional french cuisine then this is the place for you Our tab came to around $100 for the two of us. We each had a starter course, entree, one dessert and a total of three glasses on wine.Special Features:
- Great meal, wonderful ambiancestacyDined on 8/5/2014Had a great meal in a great cozy place. We'll be back for years to come!Special Features:
- Always consistentProfoodieDined on 8/1/2014For years the restaurant has always served consistently great food and the service staff are excellentSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/1/2014All the charm and ambiance of a Classic French bistro. Authentic decor and atmosphere. Excellent service and food. Very good wine list. A totally pleasant experienceSpecial Features:
- exceeded all expectationsAlexanderMooreVIPDined on 7/31/2014really a gem restaurant and such great food! totally authentic too!Special Features:
- Great DiscoveryJorgeDDined on 7/29/2014After all, it was worth the wait to obtain a reservation. The service is as good and the food outstanding. Crëme Broulee shoudl come in a shallower dish, but nevertheless is awesomeSpecial Features:
- Romanic dinnerWayfarerDined on 7/29/2014We were so happy with dining at L'Ardoise that we went there on two consecutive evenings while on holiday in San Francisco. The location is great and romantically secluded from the noisy streets in the Castro. The atmosphere is very soothing, even though diners sit quite close to each other and it can't be described as a quiet restaurant. The food was just excellent. I would recommend this restaurant to any visitor to San Francisco!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner with John McchocoladVIPDined on 7/29/2014L'Ardoise has become a favourite for us whenever John visits. He comes from Chicago three or four times a year. We both passed on enjoyed on an appetizer and had the Salmon. It was well prepared and perfectly cooked. He had the Floating Island and I had the raspberry tart, which we both enjoyed. The service is always good and the staff very attentive without being obtrusive. I highly recommend L'Ardoise to all my friends.Special Features:
- Great placeDeanWDined on 7/26/2014Great wine list and fantastic food. Prawn raviolis and duck confit were outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Intimate space, fantastic food.Melissaloo27VIPDined on 7/26/2014Waiters rarely recommend wine I truly enjoy, so I was truly impressed when the bottle he opened was just what I was hoping for! The charcuterie was fantastic and generous. Tiger prawn ravioles were exquisite and delicate both in taste and texture. My boyfriend had the seafood cassoulet and was very pleased with the array of seafood in a rich, savory lobster sauce. Dining room was intimate, yes that's a nice way of saying I can hear other people's conversations, ha ha. But what the space lacked the servers made up for in attitude and attentiveness. We will most certainly return and recommend this neighborhood gem to anyone looking for a fantastic meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- France comes to DubocesolidDined on 7/22/2014I had a fabulous birthday dinner here, complete with delicious wine and the most scrumptious flourless chocolate cake (and I'm not even a cake person). All dishes were plentiful and fabulous and so I left full (but not stuffed!). Great place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- bingo!IowryaDined on 7/22/2014great food and attentive staff. The four of us had a wonderful time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- tasty, but really hot roomcptbytemeDined on 7/5/2014The food and wine were great, but the room was really really hot. Also, though the food came out quickly, it was hard to get a waiter's attention and took a long while to get the check, so I can only give the service 3 stars.Special Features:
- Always LovelyDebSDined on 7/2/2014We eat here regularly. It is a reliably great date place! The service is pleasant and perfect, without being pretentious. The food is always delicious. It's not ultra-cheap but is easily affordable. The atmosphere is quiet enough and lighting is nice. In short, an easy, romantic, delicious place for a casual date.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My favorite French restaurant in SFDanielDined on 7/1/2014Charming, small French boutique restaurant with impeccable service and exquisite food. The ambience is cozy and unpretentious, with friendly waiters and a small menu where every dish is extremely flavorful. Of course deserts are to die for and the wine is not to be missed. Expect to pay at least $50 per person, but it is worth it to treat yourself to this heavenly restaurant at least every once in awhile.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Parisian BistroStellaDined on 6/27/2014Wonderful dinner! We had a simple steak frites salad and it was so delicious and perfectly cooked and the aiole they served with the French fries was divine. It was better than bistro meals we ate in Paris and friendlier too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our Anniversary DinnerBurtDined on 6/24/2014Every year we come here on our anniversary. We were in Paris on our honeymoon and L'Ardoise totally recalls the wonderful ambience of the restaurants we most enjoyed then and on subsequent visits. But after our first visit to L'Ardoise, we decided we could celebrate more than once a year! That is to say, dinner here makes the celebration. I hesitate to say more because this is a wonderful gem and I want to make sure I can get a table ;-)Special Features:
- Great Anniversary DinnerACAnadillaDined on 6/21/2014We spent the entire day in the city and wanted a nice quiet dinner away from Union Square where we were staying. The food was amazing! Service was just as great! Our wine glasses were always full and we we enjoyed every bite. We will definitely be back to try out the other items on the menu.Special Features:
- Can't wait to go back!JacobVIPDined on 6/21/2014Excellent food, great service, and wonderful ambiance. I recommend the coq au vin!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- amazingrungirlsfDined on 6/20/2014my husband and i drive by l'ardoise frequently. we often say, let's try it. and i am so glad we did. the service is attentive without being obnoxious. the food is spectacular. transports me back to the neighbourhood bistros of paris. the only fault? i wish it were closer to my house.Special Features:
- Fine dininghappyraDined on 6/17/2014Three of us had a wonderful time. The food is so good. Preparation and display is excellent. Enjoyed the wine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful!KateVIPDined on 6/13/2014This is our friend's favorite restaurant and we are so glad he introduced us to it. Delicious and quiet- a rare combination today. Shrimp raviole not to missed. We had halibut, steak, and duck; all perfect. Ambience of a true French bistro. Great service. Can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top notch service with quality foodendeendDined on 6/7/2014The service was absolutely 5-stars top-notch; every employee provided A+ service. The food was good, you won't be disappointed or unsatisfied, but it also wasn't anything spectacular or memorable. In summary, if you're looking for a romantic wine-n-dine experience in a dim lit environment then this is a top choice. However, if you're more on the foodie side and put more weight on amazing or memorable food experience then I would not recommend this place.Special Features:
- French CafeOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/7/2014L'Ardoise was one of the best dinner experiences in years. We told the waitress that we were doing a mez-a-mez and all plates divided perfectly and a very generous house salad. Entire meal was a 5 star experience and I practiced my French.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- love this restaurantcherylDined on 6/7/2014This restaurant is a favorite of mine. We loved all of our dishes and the service was excellent. Had just returned from paris so I can make the statement that it is like a paris bistro. It was saturday and they rushed us a bit but that is normal anywhere in SF. Still my favorite
- Like itMarcoPoloDined on 6/4/2014Food was very good and the crew very friendly. The place is very nice and I enjoyed everything of it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/4/2014very good food and service we excellent. had the coq au vin which was wonderfulSpecial Features:
- Always consistently wonderfulNotInTexadDined on 5/31/2014The experience at L'Ardoise is always wonderful. The staff are professional and personable and the food is of high- quality.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NEVER FAILSlouiseknowsVIPDined on 5/31/2014My one and only complain is the tight seating, but the food and service of this little place can not be beat!Special Features:
- great neighborhood spotKaraDined on 5/30/2014We loved this place. It was are first visit but won't be our last. Great service and wonderful food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time visitorJorgeDined on 5/28/2014This was a great find for us. The service was outstanding and the food the same. The lamb chops were the best ever and the filet was el perfecto!! Will certainly return next time we visit the city!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Authentic French FoodHealthyeaterDined on 5/28/2014Everything about the meal for 4 people was perfect. The mix of people in the restaurant added to the ambiance of this intimate space. Of course we came for the food and were completely satisfied with the quality and quantity: both were just right.Special Features:
- C'est magnifique !LancerDined on 5/23/2014Per usual a great meal here. The food never disappoints. The only issue was feeling a bit rushed. The starters can out immediately, quickly followed by mains. Not even enough time for a second glass of wine. We were in and out in 35 minutes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- L'Ardoise est un morceau de ParisPeasVIPDined on 5/23/2014Once a year, we make our way to L'Ardoise to experience the ambiance & delight of bistro dining. I chose the tiger prawn ravioli, whose texture was perfectly al dente, my wife chose the asparagus soup which had a wonderful concentrated flavor in a light cream base. For entrees, we chose the hangar steak, medium rare, with pomme frittes (always a winner) and the lamb shank -- perfectly braised, perfectly cooked, soaking up the goodness of a hearty red wine sauce. The service was attentive- it's always consistent from their team, whom are courteous and friendly, and whom keep a close watch on your table. Glasses were never empty, and we never felt any rush despite the fact that the restaurant filled up quickly on a Friday early evening.Special Features: