1600 Duke Street
Alexandria, VA 22314Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.laportas.net/
- Phone: (703) 683-6313
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Sunday: 11:30am - 3:00pm; Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Douglas Laporta
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Entertainment: Laporta’s is committed to presenting the very best in local jazz. Bringing a variety of the best available singers and musicians to our stage nightly for over twenty years. Featured are regular performances by such highly acclaimed singers as Sharon Clark, Patrice Ferris and Ester Haynes. Laporta’s books a range of Jazz styles from Be Bop and Scat, vocal standards, Jazz Fusion, Dixieland and Gospel,Live performances occur nightly during dinner service and after, seven nights a week.
- Special Events: Jazz nightly. Monday/Tuesday Two entrees/bottle of wine $28.99
A word from Laporta's Restaurant
Laporta’s restaurant is the ideal place for extraordinary food in a casual, comfortable setting. Laporta’s has an attentively serviced contemporary dining room perfect for a romantic evening out or any other special occasion, combined with an adjoining intimate Jazz lounge. Relax and listen to the live jazz featured nightly. The lounge has the warmth and friendly feel of a local’s bar yet with the same excellence of service and consistency of food quality that defines our dining room and exemplifies the restaurant as a whole. The menu features inventive fresh seafoods and hearty pastas complemented by the provincial-style desserts of Margaret Laporta.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
Laporta's Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Alexandria ›
Laporta's Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
106 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (49)romantic (41)fit for foodies (36)special occasion (36)good for groups (27)great for lunch (20)great for brunch (14)notable wine list (14)vibrant bar scene (9)hot spot (7)late-night find (6)kid-friendly (4)Show More
- OrdinarygoodtasteVIPDined on 11/21/2014The food, drinks and service are acceptable. The ambiance is nothing special. Just a large room with tables and some pictures on the wall. It looks and feels more like a converted office space. Live music is played by a band with a singer if you dine after 7:30PM.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another great meal at LaPorta'sTopFun66VIPDined on 11/15/2014LaPorta's is on our short list of go-to restaurants and dine there often. Our most recent experience was once again excellent. I had the beef tips special and my wife has chicken. I paired the beef tips with a nice Syrah red wine. Both meals were perfect. We also topped it off with the whiskey cake (which we split). Aside from the good food, one of the things we enjoy about LaPorta's is the excellent live jazz in the evening. The jazz was once again suited very well to enjoy a nice dinner. Our server was attentive and friendly. As you can tell, my wife an I enjoy LaPorta's. And, we also always bring our out-of-town visitors here for a nice evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not what I expectedbirthdaygirlDined on 11/12/2014With a name of LaPorta, we expected the restaurant to be very Italian. There were only a few pasta dishes on the menu. We did, however, love the food. It was delicious. There was a 3-pc jazz group that was extremely loud and people were trying to talk over the band making it very hard to have a conversation. When I made the reservation on Open Table, I mentioned that it was a birthday celebration and that was totally ignored. Apparently, not only do they say Happy Birthday, they do not celebrate.
- CuffchildCuffchildDined on 11/8/2014Great service (waitress was friendly and informative) ,food and entertainmentSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Jazz GemKathyDined on 11/8/2014We 'found" Laporta's via an WAMU promotion card and can't wait to return. The food was delicious, the service attentive, and the jazz quartet was a bonus we didn't anticipate. Laporta's has free parking as well. I enjoyed a glass of winter sangria and then delighted in the grilled shrimp over salad and my husband thourougly enjoyed his pasta Laporta. As a starter we shared the Mussels Roma and that is what I will have again, only this time as an entree. The only down side was that as the restaurant filled in; people were seated right next to us when there were other tables available. This meant that we heard too much about the life of the woman seated less than 4' away. We will definitely be back.Special Features:
- Great Food and ServicebarbaraVIPDined on 11/8/2014Never disappointed! Every time, great food and service! Neighborhood gem!!Special Features:
- Great spotlawdawgDined on 11/1/2014Nice blend of good food, and live music for a nice night out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent local spotviohowVIPDined on 10/25/2014I love this restaurant for its' live music. The food is excellent also and the wait staff is friendly and non-obtrusive. One of my favorite spots.Special Features:
- Loved it!OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 10/25/2014Our group of 4 thoroughly enjoyed the dining experience. The service & food were great! Especially LOVED the live entertainment! An added bonus!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Little UnderwhelmedOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 10/19/2014First off, eating at La Porta was not a bad experience, it just did not stand out. I ordered the ravioli with mushrooms and my companion the egg frittata. The ravioli was good, not amazing, but my chief complaint is that there were four pieces of ravioli and A LOT of mushrooms. The frittata was flavorful and a good portion size. I noticed the majority of the ingredients were placed on the top rather than baked inside. Service was attentive but not overbearing.
- Music nightly75bluejayDined on 10/14/2014Food and service were very good. Onion tart appetizer was very good as were the Pasta Laporta. Nice wine list.Special Features:
- Nice EveningamnaDined on 10/12/2014Very much enjoyed the view and had a very nice evening. Flash fried spinach was wonderful, as was the filet mignon. All were pleased with their selections.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great business lunch spot!SusieDDined on 10/3/2014The restaurant is sunny and bright which makes the ambiance feel as though you're outside without the hassle and discomfort of most outdoor seating areas. The food and service were both amazing, although my dessert fell a little short on flavor - crepe layered lemon cake. Desserts I've had in the past were always amazing. I took two clients and they both seemed to enjoy everything as well. The parking was strange. It was pay up front in cash and if you're under two hours you get a refund ($8), if you pay with a CC it's full price ($12) and no refund. It felt like I was getting scammed.Special Features:
- Mediocre food, overpricedMarylanderDined on 9/28/2014Located in Alexandria, VA, not far from downtown, yet not in the crowded pedestrian area, this place had a promise of a neighborhood gem. Indeed, nice interior, live jazz trio, menu looks pretty good. All is well until you taste the main entree. Can only speak for what I actually tried: fried cod - overfried with something like duck sauce and broccoli; trout was pretty bland, didn't go well at all with extra-oily kale chips; seared salmon with indian-inspired sauce and rice?..nah; tortellini was so-so. Burger was good. Far from what I expected, and priced as a good quality cooking. I am not coming back
- spectacularmoonman2007Dined on 9/20/2014Saturday night couples dinner. everyone had a great time. Dinner was great. Dessert was great.staff was very pleasant. Free parking. Live jazz trio was awesome... Look forward to returning soonSpecial Features:
- Surprisingly good even when emptycathman11VIPDined on 9/14/2014I happened to dine at Laporta's on a Sunday evening. There were a total of 6 other diners in the establishment when I arrived. Nonetheless, a 3 man ensemble played some soft jazz/blues as a backdrop, the service was prompt and polite, and the food was excellent. If I have the opportunity, I'd love to return on a busier evening if I get back to Alexandria. They have an attractive bar area that is separated from the main dining area that looks like a nice spot for an after dinner drink.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- diningguysDined on 9/13/2014Fabulous food. Wonderful staff. Great live music, too. Will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So soLocalman355Dined on 9/13/2014Upscale intentions and prices but slightly misses the mark Service is fine and food is pretty good but nothing as remarkable as prices would indicate
- barbaraVIPDined on 9/13/2014Excellent food and service every time! We love the waiters and how much attention we get here. Everything is first class!Special Features:
- Pleasant experienceLuncherVIPDined on 9/12/2014My in-laws wanted to celebrate their 50th wedding anniversary here. They liked that the restaurant plays live music in the evenings and isn't too pretentious. The free parking in Alexandria is also a bonus. The service was very friendly, they immediately recognized the occasion based on the note I had added to my Open Table reservation. The food is good, not overly ambitious, but tasty. The molten lava cake for dessert was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LaPorta's Monday-Tuesday specials!cboydDined on 9/9/2014My husband and I like to go when they have the Monday/Tuesday special: dinner for two with bottle of wine or half off nicer one of your choice. Food is all fresh, not frozen, and they can prepare way you like, even gluten free. We like live jazz which plays nightly in dining room.Special Features:
- barbaraVIPDined on 8/31/2014We always have terrific food here. Every time we try something new, it is always fantastic. We always receive great service!
- Outstanding food and service!iDineDined on 8/29/2014This gem of a restaurant is full of surprises! From the genuine and pleasant customer service to the evening ambiance set with dimmed lights and romantic music. On this my second visit, I still marveled at the fact that for many years I just drove by never knowing what type of establishment it was but thankfully a friend introduced me a few months prior. The food is delicious! The chef was very accommodating with the preparation request I made with my dish. You will agree that this is likely one of Alexandria's best kept secrets. Enjoy your visit...you will return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/24/2014Impressed by service, the restaurant honored an expired brunch coupon. To our surprise it covered brunch for my wife and I to include our cocktails. The brunch was excellent, service was spot on. Highly recommend the mushroom rounds appetizer, it was a pleasant surprise!Special Features:
- Excellent Food and ServiceSherlockDined on 8/23/2014Excellent food and exceptional dessert, in fact the best dessert we have ever had...carrot cake and tarimasu. My wife and I had a Salmon and Trout entree and the portions were cooked well and of good size which really surprised my wife. As a starter we had the Lobster Bisque that had a great flavor. Our Server was name Stephen and he made sure our experience was pleasant. Lastly, the light Jazz was enjoyable, even had an opportunity to speak with the lead singer. We have nothing to complain about and will go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/20/2014We enjoyed our meal very much! Prices are a little high but we went during Restaurant Week. Very much enjoyed the live Jazz musicians.Special Features:
- barbaraVIPDined on 8/17/2014Fantastic food and service every time!! A neighborhood gem!!Special Features:
- dcluv2dineVIPDined on 8/16/2014My first time dining, we really enjoyed the food, service and music. Will come back again.Special Features:
- Great spottwofoodiesDined on 8/16/2014We had a delightful experience. Staff were attentive and knowledgable. Food was interesting and well prepared. Convenient parking.Special Features:
- Always a good timeFunFoodster1260Dined on 8/15/2014I've used LaPorta's for a surprise birthday party (35 people), for lunch and for dinner. All occasions were great because of the service and the food. I highly recommend you use LaPorta's for a catered event -- Mary was so cooperative and helpful.Special Features:
- BoringJleonar1VIPDined on 8/15/2014Went during restaurant week and really was disappointed. Staying in hotel close by so gave it a try. 2 dinners with 1 glass of wine and it reminded me of years ago eating at Bob Evans except this meal was over $100. Salad was crisp and dressed nicely but nothing unusual in the salad. Lettuce, tomatoe and dressing. Just like BE. Next we both ordered Pork Schnitzel. Pork was cooked nicely but it was served with canned tomatoes with a couple of small pastas thrown in. Didn't eat all of that. :( the meal came with dessert. That was OK but the evening was a waste. The waiter came over while my wife was still eating her meal to go over their list of desserts. Pretty much like Bob Evans getting the rush out the door. The joint was only ¼ full.
- A Favorite Gathering PlaceCat52Dined on 8/12/2014My friends and I always enjoy getting together at LaPorta. The food is very good and a great value. I strongly recommend it for a relaxed evening out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ShelliVIPDined on 8/9/2014Excellent service, food and we always love the music!Special Features:
- LaPorta's is excellentJohnRainesDined on 8/4/2014Great food, good wine, a relaxed ambiance and terrific service - as usual and always expected at LaPorta's.Special Features:
- sweeetjess91Dined on 7/31/2014It's my favorite restaurant in the Northern Virginia area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 859 reviews are from the Laporta's Restaurant reviews archive.
- Great ExperienceamarieDined on 7/27/2014My husband searched for restaurants to celebrate our wedding anniversary and found Laporta's. We love jazz and the website mentioned a strawberry mojito and I was instantly sold on trying them. We were not disappointed! There was a jazz trio playing during dinner that we really enjoyed. I had the calamari, crab cakes and asparagus which were very good. My husband enjoyed the jumbo shrimp appetizer and salmon dish. We sampled each other's food and found that we liked it all. We will definitely return and so glad to have found this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- gooddaleoVIPDined on 7/26/2014good food and live jazz music in the evening made it enjoyable = try the onion pie appetizerSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BillieTheKidDined on 7/25/2014We both enjoyed our dinner and Lauren was a fabulous server. It is always fun to enjoy jazz while dining, and Coco on the Piano did not disappoint. Thanks again for a great date night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nice surpriseGaryDined on 7/21/2014We've been to Laporta's a few times for the jazz music later in the evenings. This was our first visit for dinner and we were very pleased. The food and service was great. The Tuesday dinner special was the best bargain in the area. That got us in for dinner for the first time. We will definitely be going back. On top of the great food - this remains one of our favorite places for classy entertainment in a great setting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overlooked gemTuckinalexVIPDined on 7/20/2014Laporta's was our choice for my husband's 70th birthday dinner. We were happy to enjoy our meal accompanied by the excellent Walt Johns jazz trio. Perfect with our shared summer salad and pasta meals. The food was excellent (I had bay scallops over pasta, my husband had Tutta Mare over pasta) and I asked for and received a modification to the sauce for my scallops. We got a tiramisu to go for dessert. Lovely bottle of wine. the restaurant is located in an office building so somewhat nondescript on the outside but a real gem on the inside. Easy to drive by and not notice. Make an effort to go! Free parking in garage so very convenient. Worth the trip.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.