13 East 1st St.
New York, NY 10003Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://lapicio.com/#
- Phone: 2125337400x
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday and Sunday: 11:00am - 3:00pm
Dinner: Sunday - Wednesday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm,
Thursday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 12:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Gabe Thompson
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Looking for L'Apicio in your home? Visit us at epicurean-events.com for options and more information!
A word from L'Apicio
L'Apicio is located at 13 E. 1st Street (between Bowery and 2nd Avenue). The Italian-inspired restaurant gets its name from the 18th century Italian cookbook, and brings Executive Chef Gabe Thompson's cravable modern Italian food to the East Village. L'Apicio offers a deep cocktail and wine program created by Beverage Director Joe Campanale, while Executive Pastry Chef Katherine Thompson oversees the pastry program. L'Apicio is open for dinner seven days a week and brunch on the weekends, featuring lounge and bar areas and outdoor seating, in addition to the main and private dining rooms.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
L'Apicio reviews from OpenTable diners
132 reviews since June 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (79)neighborhood gem (55)good for groups (50)romantic (47)special occasion (46)notable wine list (46)great for outdoor dining (41)hot spot (30)vibrant bar scene (21)great for brunch (13)late-night find (8)great for lunch (5)kid-friendly (4)scenic view (1)Show More
- SaltRefreshingVIPDined on 10/21/2014Beautiful restaurant! House made Burrata and the Tuscan fried were our picked. Our waitress was a little stiff, not a single smile, but that may be my projection. If you like salt, this is a great fit.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/18/2014Excellent wine list. Polenta was as outstanding as reviewers have claimed.Special Features:
- Good food and vibes to match!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/15/2014Went here with a few friends for some drinks and light fare turned out to be an excellent choice. The menu did not disappoint with great apps (order the arancini and the Burrata for sure!), pasta and main courses. Very well done. Oh and the bartenders are true pros. Excellent technique and knowledge in the art of mixology!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ChoiceNYCfoodieVIPDined on 10/12/2014One of our favorite restaurants in the area. We went with a vegetarian friend and it was great that she didn't have to make a meal of "side dishes" this time. L'Apicio's veg options are every bit as strong as their meat dishes.Special Features:
- Trendy and top notch foodOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 10/10/2014Loved this restaurant. The service was first class all the way. We had the penne in Bolognese sauce with lamb, Hangar steak and Broccoli rabe that were all outstanding. The crowd was attractive and young. I would return to try more of their amazing dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great serviceTomcottageDined on 10/9/2014We had a very lovely dinner full of interesting tastes and attentive serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New FoodLawrenceofLongBeachVIPDined on 10/8/2014I wandered past this restaurant and it simply looked like a nice place to try. I expected some decent Italian food and a young crowd. I was right about the crowd and wrong about the food. It wasn't good, it was excellent. It was a delicious experience in novel Italian cooking, with fresh ideas and ingredients, and simply prepared to boot. I would highly recommend this restaurant and I expect it to thrive. I can't wait to go again and only wished it was in my neighborhood.Special Features:
- Beautiful Setting and Good Food!thegangof4VIPDined on 10/5/2014The decor of L'Apicio was very beautiful; the lighting and high ceiling made it feel very special. We ordered from the Sunday Supper menu which was delicious and economical as well as the regular menu. The arancini were very tasty, as were the arctic char and pasta. The chocolate hazelnut ice cream cake was the best I've had! Definitely a place to return to!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PastaalinenvVIPDined on 10/3/2014The pasta was the best I ate in New York. The service was great as well.Special Features:
- L'AspiciorobertDined on 10/2/2014terrific venue on New Yorks lower East side. Beautiful setting with high ceilings and intimate atmosphete. Having previously been huge fan of siste restaurant Dell'anima, the Quail and octopus are an exceedingly welcome sight on the menu and 'must have' delicious! Kenny, our waiter was extreemly knowledgeable with wines and held his own with my Italian wine salesperson dinner date! His poairings and suggestion for appetizers, dinner and desserts were fantastic. The bar made a suggestion to go with my peach-prosecco sorbet, which was a glass of prosecco with a dollop of the sorbet! stunning drink. I wish I could go here evry week!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and serviceEaterVIPDined on 10/1/2014Some dishes a little spicy that surprised me (broccoli rabe - tone it down) but everything else was great. We had a lovely waitress, who made the experience even better, and bartender are lovely too. Would definitely go back!Special Features:
- perfect pharm rep dinner venueparkgrrVIPDined on 9/22/2014had heard a lot of great things about L'Apicio but must admit I'm not that blown away.. not a bad-looking space but overall quite corporate in feel. great if you're eating out and deducting as a business expenseSpecial Features:
- Must Dine ExperienceCusina212Dined on 9/20/2014Great cocktails, wine list and a varied and imaginative menu. I had the grilled octopus with fregula appetizer and the bucatini as my main course. The olive oil cake was one of the best desserts I ever had. Attentive but not intrusive service. They made us welcome and comfortable from start to finish. My only complaint was that I was too full to keep eating. Too bad I'll have to keep going back. A real EV gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We had so much funMic58Dined on 9/14/2014We were a group of four, as we came from far away to meet with friends we wanted to converse. We asked to sit on the quiet and less busy side near the window. We had a great time with good food, nice and very attending waiter, nice music and great designSpecial Features:
- FabulousGothamgirlVIPDined on 9/13/2014We keep coming back here! The food is excellent, the restaurant very cool, great drinks and service! All around great place for dining!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always Good!AnonymousVIPDined on 9/12/2014Consistently delicious & reliable. PLEASE don't change anything!Special Features:
- 82muchVIPDined on 9/9/2014Delicious. Gracious. Professional....The kitchen delivers intelligent simple compositions and fresh creativity. The essence of Italy. The service staff actually cared about our enjoyment. Attentive and friendly. From the hostess' relevant questions upon our arrival until the manager's bidding us adieu when we were getting up to leave, our comfort was their focus. Informal meets excellence.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service, great food.nyckrisDined on 9/6/2014Came here for a bachelorette dinner and I am glad I chose this restaurant for our Bride-to-Be. Service was great! Our waiter was very knowledgable about the food on the menu and was able to give great recommendations on drinks and food. We also got complimentary glass of Prosecco for the whole table and dessert for the bride at the end of our dining. And of course, the food was delicious! Will definitely be coming back and recommending other people to L'Apicio.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love it here!ZachDined on 9/5/2014L'Apicio is one of my favorite spots to go -- it's a sister restaurant to L'Artusi (also amazing) - but I almost prefer L'Apicio. I'd recommend their hanger steak, fries, corn, lamb pesto, fried green tomatoes (one of my favorite takes on them) and gnocci. Servers are really knowledgeable and kind as well. Oh, and you HAVE to try their ice cream cake dessert!Special Features:
- So disappointedNYCsince2000Dined on 9/2/2014This place used to be great - first time I have been back in a year. The food is good, but the service was AWFUL! I was so embarrassed. I brought the president of my company here so we could decide if this was an appropriate place to have a small dinner reception. Our appetizers came before our wine, then our waiter disappeared for the rest of the night. They brought a dessert menu before we had a chance to order entrees - then did not come back for 15 mins to take our dinner order. Our dinner came 45 mins later and the other waiter never asked if we wanted wine with dinner... So disappointed. At the restaurant for 3 hours - didn't even order dessert. There was no excuse for this lame service as the restaurant was not crowded.
- Great, all around.JoceDined on 8/30/2014Wonderful spot. Excellent and attentive service, and the food's delicious, too. Highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nice place to have a family dinnerlietuvaDined on 8/29/2014Nice place with a very good Italian food, excellent service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not as enjoyable as L'ArtusiILuvNYCdineDined on 8/23/2014Food was very good and perfect sized portions. Wine list a bit expensive for the menu and price points. Tuna was excellent and so was the creamy polenta. $20 for the special Burrato appetizer, outrageously priced. something on the menu for all tastes. Spacious compared to L'Artusi but didn't feel as special.Special Features:
- Service was extremely rushed.amsNYCVIPDined on 8/21/2014From the moment we walked in we felt they couldn't wait to get rid of us - Rushed to the table: we were there a few minutes ahead of our reservation time and the first 2 of our party ordered drinks at the bar. When our 3rd person arrived they shoo-ed us away from the (empty!) bar to our table rather than let her order a drink and get started there. Then though out dinner, plates whisked away with the last bite or two still on them. Annoying for some dishes more than others. Dining room was lively - but it wasn't so busy that they desperately needed us out so they could turn the table - yet that is how we felt. Staff was pleasant and food was good but we probably would only recommend for drinks/snacks rather than a full dining experience.
- Celebrated my anniversaryHOLLYMIGGIEDined on 8/21/2014I must say what a great place. The moment we walked in everybody was on there game. The food was excellent and fair priced. Our waitress was wonderful and made everything so easy and smooth. I would definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good spot to tryoutFuffinVIPDined on 8/17/2014The bread was delicious and the food was all pretty decent. I have to admit that I can't remember what I ordered so it definitely didn't blow me out of the water. But it was a nice meal.Special Features:
- great meal and great serviceBKfoodlvrDined on 8/12/2014went on a tuesday night and had a reservation. we were sat down immediately. the waitress was very attentive and good at recommending dishes. we ordered a few apps and some pastas and the tuna. all were BEYOND delicious - and i'm a tough critic. also, between the apps and the entrees the food took a little while to come out (which we didn't notice because we were busy talking) so unprompted the waiter brought over a ravioli dish on the house and also the manager came over to apologize and gave us free dessert. i will certainly come back again. it was a great meal.Special Features:
- Excellent experience all around.GuajiroDined on 8/11/2014Perfectly executed dishes. Very professional and attentive service. We will come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place!!YBobb1VIPDined on 8/10/2014I went to celebrate my husband's birthday. It wasn’t stuffy, good ambience and kid friendly as my 9 year old son was with us. The staff was extremely kind to him. The waitress even prepared him a little mixed bubbly drink so that he could join in on the complimentary champagne toast to my husband. It was a Sunday reservation so I took advantage of the no-corkage fee in which they happily placed our wine into a beautiful decanter and poured as needed. At that point I was a fan, even before the food. Once served, it got even better. The food was full of flavor, (a little salty) and served with great presentation. It was a very pleasant dining experience for us all and I will recommend L'Apicio to others as well as return myself.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special dinner on the patio!KidteacherVIPDined on 8/10/2014We had a lovely dining experience at L'Apicio. I had the cod entree which was cooked perfectly and accompanied by spicy green and yellow beans. My husband had a delicious pork chop with mustard greens. Our drinks were perfect, too. We sat on the side patio and it was so romantic!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great mealOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/9/2014Very enjoyable. Fantastic, attentive and knowledgeable staff. Had a delicious meal! We will definitely return!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/8/2014wonderful find in the east village. food was delicious and reasonably priced.Special Features:
- Wonderful EveningHammerDined on 8/8/2014We made a reservation for 7:30 on a Friday evening. We arrived about 10 minutes early and were seated at an outdoor table(our choice). Our waiter was attentive and helpful but not pushy. The food was excellent. We couldn't find the type of wine on we wanted on the list. The sommelier offered a recommendation which we all loved. Two of us are from Chicago and Aspen and this would be on our list the next time in NYC.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of my new favoritesKWR57VIPDined on 8/6/2014Great food and service. I've been there several times over the past year and have never been disappointed, not once.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Charming Italian gem!NewyorkeaterVIPDined on 8/6/2014Expertly prepared, innovative Italian cuisine. Extensive wine and cheese list, wildly creative salads, homemade pastas, perfectly prepared, super fresh fish and Tuscan fries to die for. Oh and house made desserts like we were back in Tuscany. But that was nothing compared to the service! The hostess was so warm and welcoming and our server Jessica was the #1 reason we will be back almost weekly. She was so helpful and had great suggestions. We were pleasantly surprised each course with a complimentary dish from the chef! She basically let the kitchen know what we had passed on or were contemplating, and it arrived on the house!!! So much attention to detail. Who does that today when all is going smoothly??? Great business!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Must go spot in NYCRyanVIPDined on 7/31/2014L'Apico is a hidden gem in NYC for sure. So glad we visited. Great decor and outdoor dining space. Extremely impressive customer service, good food, wine and beer selections and great dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a wonderful meal!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/30/2014Fabulous!! We loved it! Will definitely go back. I could have ordered the entire menu but we started with two appetizers then onto pasta. Everything on the menu looked delicious - I ended up ordering the bucatini and it was nothing like any other bucatini I have every had. Delicous, light, flavorful and fresh! We will definitely go back. Sat outside which was perfect - weather was great!Special Features:
- Strongly recommend L'Apicio!KennyBDined on 7/28/2014Phenomenal evening. Especially enjoyed the blackened tuna. Service was impeccable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 7/22/2014Dimly lit, excessively loud '70s music hardly appropriate for a restaurant - maybe good for a disco ... Impossible to talk, impossible to see what one is eating although the pasta tasted ok, notwithstanding the fact we had no visual of what was in there ...
- Magnificent!SaJ1VIPDined on 7/14/2014Took a special out of town guest to L'Apicio because I knew based on my previous visits that I could count on our having a wonderful evening which we certainly did. They made us feel very special. The lamb ragu with spinach pasta was superb as well as our appetizers (the tuna tartar was our favorite) and dessert. It's excellent for dinner and brunch given their impeccable food, service and wine. My guest loved it as well!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.