13 East 1st St.
New York, NY 10003Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://lapicio.com/#
- Phone: (212) 533-7400
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday and Sunday: 11:00am - 3:00pm
Dinner: Sunday - Wednesday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm,
Thursday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 12:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Gabe Thompson
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Looking for L'Apicio in your home? Visit us at epicurean-events.com for options and more information!
A word from L'Apicio
L'Apicio is located at 13 E. 1st Street (between Bowery and 2nd Avenue). The Italian-inspired restaurant gets its name from the 18th century Italian cookbook, and brings Executive Chef Gabe Thompson's cravable modern Italian food to the East Village. L'Apicio offers a deep cocktail and wine program created by Beverage Director Joe Campanale, while Executive Pastry Chef Katherine Thompson oversees the pastry program. L'Apicio is open for dinner seven days a week and brunch on the weekends, featuring lounge and bar areas and outdoor seating, in addition to the main and private dining rooms.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
L'Apicio reviews from OpenTable diners
130 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (82)neighborhood gem (56)good for groups (54)romantic (42)notable wine list (41)special occasion (40)hot spot (35)great for outdoor dining (31)vibrant bar scene (17)great for brunch (9)great for lunch (5)late-night find (5)kid-friendly (4)scenic view (1)Show More
- I'm coming backFredDined on 11/23/2014Great ambience and service. Staff works hard to please. Food is very good. Ricotta appetizer is terrific.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, but sadly subpar experiencerachaelfaithDined on 11/15/2014I really hate to give this place mediocre review, but tonight they deserved it. I made a 9:45 reservation for three, for my birthday. It was so packed that we didn't get seated until 10:40. Almost an hour we waited past the reservation time, while I patiently starved and watched other people eat. As a 'sorry', we each got a small pour of wine while we waited. The effort was appreciated, but an hour wait after a confirmed reservation... Once seated, we were given a table directly outside the bright kitchen, obviously a 2-top, hastily set for three so they could finally seat us somewhere. It was cramped, sharply lit, and the ambience was really unenjoyable. I love the look of the restaurant, but kept looking at other tables enviously. We ordered a chicken liver app special, and the much-lauded quail and arancini. Chicken liver was nothing special, but was alright. The arancini were tasty and well-fried. The quail itself was seasoned well and tender, while its accompaniments were pretty heavily oversalted. Mains were delicious- we all stuck to pasta/polenta. Lamb garganelli, pork meatball polenta, mushroom tajarin/taglierini. The best was probably the mushroom dish, creamy without being heavy, rich with garlic and perfectly cooked pasta. Next, a birthday surprise arrived at our table, the ricotta panna cotta with fig. We gave our thanks, and asked if we could see the dessert menu in case we wanted an additional item. Our waiter told us he was sorry, but that every other item had sold out. Then he asked if we wanted to see the dessert menu anyway. A bit odd, considering it would just be a list of things unavailable to us. Because our reservation ran so late, the restaurant began closing up and we felt a bit hurried at the end of our meal. Honestly, none of the service befit the way I was hoping for on my birthday, or any day really. Disappointed overall, and the food was mostly quite good, but not enough to rescue the service missteps.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service at the bar from LongSJR1VIPDined on 11/12/2014Went here with some coworkers, sat at the bar and received excellent service from the bartender (Long). He was extremely knowledgeable not only about the obvious (drinks) but was able to describe the menu in great detail. We sampled numerous things from Garganelli and Bucatina to Arancini, Brussels Sprouts and the Kale Salad. All were great and were made in ways to liven up what would otherwise be a dull dish. They also have a great beer selection. Look forward to returning soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spot! Great vibe!AlwaysdiningDined on 11/8/2014From the minute you walk in you know you picked the right spot for a fun evening. Lively bar with enough elegance. Waitress was fun, attentive and honest. Drinks were perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- L'Apicio Works!sandyhibbardVIPDined on 11/5/2014I had the pleasure of dining at L'Apicio with my daughter in NYC this week. It was a nice find in the bustling neighborhood around Bowery/E 1st, they were shooting a movie outside and the place was teeming with beautiful people. Our waiter was a comic who had just moved to NY one year ago, he was fun to guide us through the wines and the menu. We started with the "little gems" salad - their version of a caesar, it was delicious! The Brussel sprouts were amazing, the secret? they were spiked with pickled onions. Our main courses were the mushroom pasta and the butternut squash pasta, both perfect! I would have like more hot bread, but with all that pasta who really needed it?Special Features:
- Really niceAndrewEDined on 11/1/2014We were a 30 mins early for our Saturday 7:15 resv and they easily accommodated us. Not very noisy at that time. Excellent attentive service from waitress, sommelier & busboys at all times. Food was outstanding! I highly recommend. Got noisy as we were finishing up.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lousy waiterWishandhopeDined on 10/27/2014Always up selling.. No real concern with our dining experience.. Condescending.. Insulting.. Tired stand up patter...Special Features:
- Good food, bad serviceBillNYCDined on 10/26/2014Our second dinner at L'Apicio this month was frustrating due to repeated service failures. It seemed at first like no server had been assigned to our table of six. We then waited a long time for drinks to be served, during which wait a second server offered to take our drink order. When mains came one was several minutes later than all the others, and we had to ask for a side dish we'd ordered. One dessert didn't come with the others, and when we pointed it out to our server he scurried into the kitchen - still no dessert several minutes later, at which time the intended diner told our server to forget it - God was sending a dietary message. This was not met with concern. The food was tasty when it arrived but we won't hurry back.
- A+TerriVIPDined on 10/25/2014A+ for food and A+ for service! Due to heavy traffic, my husband and I arrived late for our reservation. I called ahead and explained that we had theatre tickets, and inquired whether we could be served within 45 minutes. They assured us that they'd do their best. When we arrived, a manager and 2 members of the wait staff were there to greet us, seat us, hand us menus, serve us water and recite the specials. We had a delicious 2-course meal, which perfectly complemented the attentiveness and helpfulness of our servers. The lamb bolognese was scrumptious and the cod was beautifully prepared. We will return to this gem soon, but without any demands on our time. We want to relish the experience.Special Features:
- Friday Evening at L'ApicioFoodFrenzyVIPDined on 10/24/2014The experience at L'Apicio was exquisite ! The service was impeccable and the staff went above and beyond. I would recommend this restaurantSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SaltRefreshingVIPDined on 10/21/2014Beautiful restaurant! House made Burrata and the Tuscan fried were our picked. Our waitress was a little stiff, not a single smile, but that may be my projection. If you like salt, this is a great fit.Special Features:
- santalucaDined on 10/18/2014Excellent wine list. Polenta was as outstanding as reviewers have claimed.Special Features:
- Good food and vibes to match!FrankSpeakingDined on 10/15/2014Went here with a few friends for some drinks and light fare turned out to be an excellent choice. The menu did not disappoint with great apps (order the arancini and the Burrata for sure!), pasta and main courses. Very well done. Oh and the bartenders are true pros. Excellent technique and knowledge in the art of mixology!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ChoiceNYCfoodieVIPDined on 10/12/2014One of our favorite restaurants in the area. We went with a vegetarian friend and it was great that she didn't have to make a meal of "side dishes" this time. L'Apicio's veg options are every bit as strong as their meat dishes.Special Features:
- Trendy and top notch foodOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 10/10/2014Loved this restaurant. The service was first class all the way. We had the penne in Bolognese sauce with lamb, Hangar steak and Broccoli rabe that were all outstanding. The crowd was attractive and young. I would return to try more of their amazing dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great serviceTomcottageDined on 10/9/2014We had a very lovely dinner full of interesting tastes and attentive serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New FoodLawrenceofLongBeachVIPDined on 10/8/2014I wandered past this restaurant and it simply looked like a nice place to try. I expected some decent Italian food and a young crowd. I was right about the crowd and wrong about the food. It wasn't good, it was excellent. It was a delicious experience in novel Italian cooking, with fresh ideas and ingredients, and simply prepared to boot. I would highly recommend this restaurant and I expect it to thrive. I can't wait to go again and only wished it was in my neighborhood.Special Features:
- Beautiful Setting and Good Food!thegangof4VIPDined on 10/5/2014The decor of L'Apicio was very beautiful; the lighting and high ceiling made it feel very special. We ordered from the Sunday Supper menu which was delicious and economical as well as the regular menu. The arancini were very tasty, as were the arctic char and pasta. The chocolate hazelnut ice cream cake was the best I've had! Definitely a place to return to!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PastaalinenvVIPDined on 10/3/2014The pasta was the best I ate in New York. The service was great as well.Special Features:
- L'AspiciorobertDined on 10/2/2014terrific venue on New Yorks lower East side. Beautiful setting with high ceilings and intimate atmosphete. Having previously been huge fan of siste restaurant Dell'anima, the Quail and octopus are an exceedingly welcome sight on the menu and 'must have' delicious! Kenny, our waiter was extreemly knowledgeable with wines and held his own with my Italian wine salesperson dinner date! His poairings and suggestion for appetizers, dinner and desserts were fantastic. The bar made a suggestion to go with my peach-prosecco sorbet, which was a glass of prosecco with a dollop of the sorbet! stunning drink. I wish I could go here evry week!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and serviceEaterVIPDined on 10/1/2014Some dishes a little spicy that surprised me (broccoli rabe - tone it down) but everything else was great. We had a lovely waitress, who made the experience even better, and bartender are lovely too. Would definitely go back!Special Features:
- perfect pharm rep dinner venueparkgrrVIPDined on 9/22/2014had heard a lot of great things about L'Apicio but must admit I'm not that blown away.. not a bad-looking space but overall quite corporate in feel. great if you're eating out and deducting as a business expenseSpecial Features:
- Must Dine ExperienceCusina212Dined on 9/20/2014Great cocktails, wine list and a varied and imaginative menu. I had the grilled octopus with fregula appetizer and the bucatini as my main course. The olive oil cake was one of the best desserts I ever had. Attentive but not intrusive service. They made us welcome and comfortable from start to finish. My only complaint was that I was too full to keep eating. Too bad I'll have to keep going back. A real EV gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We had so much funMic58Dined on 9/14/2014We were a group of four, as we came from far away to meet with friends we wanted to converse. We asked to sit on the quiet and less busy side near the window. We had a great time with good food, nice and very attending waiter, nice music and great designSpecial Features:
- FabulousGothamgirlVIPDined on 9/13/2014We keep coming back here! The food is excellent, the restaurant very cool, great drinks and service! All around great place for dining!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always Good!AnonymousVIPDined on 9/12/2014Consistently delicious & reliable. PLEASE don't change anything!Special Features:
- 82muchVIPDined on 9/9/2014Delicious. Gracious. Professional....The kitchen delivers intelligent simple compositions and fresh creativity. The essence of Italy. The service staff actually cared about our enjoyment. Attentive and friendly. From the hostess' relevant questions upon our arrival until the manager's bidding us adieu when we were getting up to leave, our comfort was their focus. Informal meets excellence.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service, great food.nyckrisDined on 9/6/2014Came here for a bachelorette dinner and I am glad I chose this restaurant for our Bride-to-Be. Service was great! Our waiter was very knowledgable about the food on the menu and was able to give great recommendations on drinks and food. We also got complimentary glass of Prosecco for the whole table and dessert for the bride at the end of our dining. And of course, the food was delicious! Will definitely be coming back and recommending other people to L'Apicio.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love it here!ZachDined on 9/5/2014L'Apicio is one of my favorite spots to go -- it's a sister restaurant to L'Artusi (also amazing) - but I almost prefer L'Apicio. I'd recommend their hanger steak, fries, corn, lamb pesto, fried green tomatoes (one of my favorite takes on them) and gnocci. Servers are really knowledgeable and kind as well. Oh, and you HAVE to try their ice cream cake dessert!Special Features:
- So disappointedNYCsince2000Dined on 9/2/2014This place used to be great - first time I have been back in a year. The food is good, but the service was AWFUL! I was so embarrassed. I brought the president of my company here so we could decide if this was an appropriate place to have a small dinner reception. Our appetizers came before our wine, then our waiter disappeared for the rest of the night. They brought a dessert menu before we had a chance to order entrees - then did not come back for 15 mins to take our dinner order. Our dinner came 45 mins later and the other waiter never asked if we wanted wine with dinner... So disappointed. At the restaurant for 3 hours - didn't even order dessert. There was no excuse for this lame service as the restaurant was not crowded.
- Great, all around.JoceDined on 8/30/2014Wonderful spot. Excellent and attentive service, and the food's delicious, too. Highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nice place to have a family dinnerlietuvaDined on 8/29/2014Nice place with a very good Italian food, excellent service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not as enjoyable as L'ArtusiILuvNYCdineDined on 8/23/2014Food was very good and perfect sized portions. Wine list a bit expensive for the menu and price points. Tuna was excellent and so was the creamy polenta. $20 for the special Burrato appetizer, outrageously priced. something on the menu for all tastes. Spacious compared to L'Artusi but didn't feel as special.Special Features:
- Service was extremely rushed.amsNYCVIPDined on 8/21/2014From the moment we walked in we felt they couldn't wait to get rid of us - Rushed to the table: we were there a few minutes ahead of our reservation time and the first 2 of our party ordered drinks at the bar. When our 3rd person arrived they shoo-ed us away from the (empty!) bar to our table rather than let her order a drink and get started there. Then though out dinner, plates whisked away with the last bite or two still on them. Annoying for some dishes more than others. Dining room was lively - but it wasn't so busy that they desperately needed us out so they could turn the table - yet that is how we felt. Staff was pleasant and food was good but we probably would only recommend for drinks/snacks rather than a full dining experience.
- Celebrated my anniversaryHOLLYMIGGIEDined on 8/21/2014I must say what a great place. The moment we walked in everybody was on there game. The food was excellent and fair priced. Our waitress was wonderful and made everything so easy and smooth. I would definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good spot to tryoutFuffinVIPDined on 8/17/2014The bread was delicious and the food was all pretty decent. I have to admit that I can't remember what I ordered so it definitely didn't blow me out of the water. But it was a nice meal.Special Features:
- great meal and great serviceBKfoodlvrDined on 8/12/2014went on a tuesday night and had a reservation. we were sat down immediately. the waitress was very attentive and good at recommending dishes. we ordered a few apps and some pastas and the tuna. all were BEYOND delicious - and i'm a tough critic. also, between the apps and the entrees the food took a little while to come out (which we didn't notice because we were busy talking) so unprompted the waiter brought over a ravioli dish on the house and also the manager came over to apologize and gave us free dessert. i will certainly come back again. it was a great meal.Special Features:
- Excellent experience all around.GuajiroDined on 8/11/2014Perfectly executed dishes. Very professional and attentive service. We will come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place!!YBobb1VIPDined on 8/10/2014I went to celebrate my husband's birthday. It wasn’t stuffy, good ambience and kid friendly as my 9 year old son was with us. The staff was extremely kind to him. The waitress even prepared him a little mixed bubbly drink so that he could join in on the complimentary champagne toast to my husband. It was a Sunday reservation so I took advantage of the no-corkage fee in which they happily placed our wine into a beautiful decanter and poured as needed. At that point I was a fan, even before the food. Once served, it got even better. The food was full of flavor, (a little salty) and served with great presentation. It was a very pleasant dining experience for us all and I will recommend L'Apicio to others as well as return myself.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special dinner on the patio!KidteacherVIPDined on 8/10/2014We had a lovely dining experience at L'Apicio. I had the cod entree which was cooked perfectly and accompanied by spicy green and yellow beans. My husband had a delicious pork chop with mustard greens. Our drinks were perfect, too. We sat on the side patio and it was so romantic!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.