13 East 1st St.
New York, NY 10003Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://lapicio.com/#
- Phone: 2125337400x
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday and Sunday: 11:00am - 3:00pm
Dinner: Sunday - Wednesday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm,
Thursday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 12:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Gabe Thompson
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Looking for L'Apicio in your home? Visit us at epicurean-events.com for options and more information!
A word from L'Apicio
L'Apicio is located at 13 E. 1st Street (between Bowery and 2nd Avenue). The Italian-inspired restaurant gets its name from the 18th century Italian cookbook, and brings Executive Chef Gabe Thompson's cravable modern Italian food to the East Village. L'Apicio offers a deep cocktail and wine program created by Beverage Director Joe Campanale, while Executive Pastry Chef Katherine Thompson oversees the pastry program. L'Apicio is open for dinner seven days a week and brunch on the weekends, featuring lounge and bar areas and outdoor seating, in addition to the main and private dining rooms.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
L'Apicio reviews from OpenTable diners
137 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (76)romantic (57)neighborhood gem (52)good for groups (49)special occasion (48)great for outdoor dining (46)notable wine list (41)hot spot (31)vibrant bar scene (20)great for brunch (17)late-night find (8)great for lunch (7)kid-friendly (4)Show More
- We had so much funOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/14/2014We were a group of four, as we came from far away to meet with friends we wanted to converse. We asked to sit on the quiet and less busy side near the window. We had a great time with good food, nice and very attending waiter, nice music and great designSpecial Features:
- FabulousGothamgirlVIPDined on 9/13/2014We keep coming back here! The food is excellent, the restaurant very cool, great drinks and service! All around great place for dining!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always Good!AnonymousVIPDined on 9/12/2014Consistently delicious & reliable. PLEASE don't change anything!Special Features:
- 82muchVIPDined on 9/9/2014Delicious. Gracious. Professional....The kitchen delivers intelligent simple compositions and fresh creativity. The essence of Italy. The service staff actually cared about our enjoyment. Attentive and friendly. From the hostess' relevant questions upon our arrival until the manager's bidding us adieu when we were getting up to leave, our comfort was their focus. Informal meets excellence.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service, great food.nyckrisDined on 9/6/2014Came here for a bachelorette dinner and I am glad I chose this restaurant for our Bride-to-Be. Service was great! Our waiter was very knowledgable about the food on the menu and was able to give great recommendations on drinks and food. We also got complimentary glass of Prosecco for the whole table and dessert for the bride at the end of our dining. And of course, the food was delicious! Will definitely be coming back and recommending other people to L'Apicio.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love it here!ZachDined on 9/5/2014L'Apicio is one of my favorite spots to go -- it's a sister restaurant to L'Artusi (also amazing) - but I almost prefer L'Apicio. I'd recommend their hanger steak, fries, corn, lamb pesto, fried green tomatoes (one of my favorite takes on them) and gnocci. Servers are really knowledgeable and kind as well. Oh, and you HAVE to try their ice cream cake dessert!Special Features:
- So disappointedNYCsince2000Dined on 9/2/2014This place used to be great - first time I have been back in a year. The food is good, but the service was AWFUL! I was so embarrassed. I brought the president of my company here so we could decide if this was an appropriate place to have a small dinner reception. Our appetizers came before our wine, then our waiter disappeared for the rest of the night. They brought a dessert menu before we had a chance to order entrees - then did not come back for 15 mins to take our dinner order. Our dinner came 45 mins later and the other waiter never asked if we wanted wine with dinner... So disappointed. At the restaurant for 3 hours - didn't even order dessert. There was no excuse for this lame service as the restaurant was not crowded.
- Great, all around.JoceDined on 8/30/2014Wonderful spot. Excellent and attentive service, and the food's delicious, too. Highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nice place to have a family dinnerlietuvaDined on 8/29/2014Nice place with a very good Italian food, excellent service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not as enjoyable as L'ArtusiILuvNYCdineDined on 8/23/2014Food was very good and perfect sized portions. Wine list a bit expensive for the menu and price points. Tuna was excellent and so was the creamy polenta. $20 for the special Burrato appetizer, outrageously priced. something on the menu for all tastes. Spacious compared to L'Artusi but didn't feel as special.Special Features:
- Service was extremely rushed.amsNYCVIPDined on 8/21/2014From the moment we walked in we felt they couldn't wait to get rid of us - Rushed to the table: we were there a few minutes ahead of our reservation time and the first 2 of our party ordered drinks at the bar. When our 3rd person arrived they shoo-ed us away from the (empty!) bar to our table rather than let her order a drink and get started there. Then though out dinner, plates whisked away with the last bite or two still on them. Annoying for some dishes more than others. Dining room was lively - but it wasn't so busy that they desperately needed us out so they could turn the table - yet that is how we felt. Staff was pleasant and food was good but we probably would only recommend for drinks/snacks rather than a full dining experience.
- great meal and great serviceBKfoodlvrDined on 8/12/2014went on a tuesday night and had a reservation. we were sat down immediately. the waitress was very attentive and good at recommending dishes. we ordered a few apps and some pastas and the tuna. all were BEYOND delicious - and i'm a tough critic. also, between the apps and the entrees the food took a little while to come out (which we didn't notice because we were busy talking) so unprompted the waiter brought over a ravioli dish on the house and also the manager came over to apologize and gave us free dessert. i will certainly come back again. it was a great meal.Special Features:
- Excellent experience all around.GuajiroDined on 8/11/2014Perfectly executed dishes. Very professional and attentive service. We will come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place!!YBobb1VIPDined on 8/10/2014I went to celebrate my husband's birthday. It wasn’t stuffy, good ambience and kid friendly as my 9 year old son was with us. The staff was extremely kind to him. The waitress even prepared him a little mixed bubbly drink so that he could join in on the complimentary champagne toast to my husband. It was a Sunday reservation so I took advantage of the no-corkage fee in which they happily placed our wine into a beautiful decanter and poured as needed. At that point I was a fan, even before the food. Once served, it got even better. The food was full of flavor, (a little salty) and served with great presentation. It was a very pleasant dining experience for us all and I will recommend L'Apicio to others as well as return myself.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special dinner on the patio!KidteacherVIPDined on 8/10/2014We had a lovely dining experience at L'Apicio. I had the cod entree which was cooked perfectly and accompanied by spicy green and yellow beans. My husband had a delicious pork chop with mustard greens. Our drinks were perfect, too. We sat on the side patio and it was so romantic!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great mealOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/9/2014Very enjoyable. Fantastic, attentive and knowledgeable staff. Had a delicious meal! We will definitely return!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/8/2014wonderful find in the east village. food was delicious and reasonably priced.Special Features:
- Wonderful EveningHammerDined on 8/8/2014We made a reservation for 7:30 on a Friday evening. We arrived about 10 minutes early and were seated at an outdoor table(our choice). Our waiter was attentive and helpful but not pushy. The food was excellent. We couldn't find the type of wine on we wanted on the list. The sommelier offered a recommendation which we all loved. Two of us are from Chicago and Aspen and this would be on our list the next time in NYC.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of my new favoritesKWR57VIPDined on 8/6/2014Great food and service. I've been there several times over the past year and have never been disappointed, not once.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Charming Italian gem!NewyorkeaterVIPDined on 8/6/2014Expertly prepared, innovative Italian cuisine. Extensive wine and cheese list, wildly creative salads, homemade pastas, perfectly prepared, super fresh fish and Tuscan fries to die for. Oh and house made desserts like we were back in Tuscany. But that was nothing compared to the service! The hostess was so warm and welcoming and our server Jessica was the #1 reason we will be back almost weekly. She was so helpful and had great suggestions. We were pleasantly surprised each course with a complimentary dish from the chef! She basically let the kitchen know what we had passed on or were contemplating, and it arrived on the house!!! So much attention to detail. Who does that today when all is going smoothly??? Great business!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Must go spot in NYCRyanVIPDined on 7/31/2014L'Apico is a hidden gem in NYC for sure. So glad we visited. Great decor and outdoor dining space. Extremely impressive customer service, good food, wine and beer selections and great dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a wonderful meal!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/30/2014Fabulous!! We loved it! Will definitely go back. I could have ordered the entire menu but we started with two appetizers then onto pasta. Everything on the menu looked delicious - I ended up ordering the bucatini and it was nothing like any other bucatini I have every had. Delicous, light, flavorful and fresh! We will definitely go back. Sat outside which was perfect - weather was great!Special Features:
- Strongly recommend L'Apicio!KennyBDined on 7/28/2014Phenomenal evening. Especially enjoyed the blackened tuna. Service was impeccable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 7/22/2014Dimly lit, excessively loud '70s music hardly appropriate for a restaurant - maybe good for a disco ... Impossible to talk, impossible to see what one is eating although the pasta tasted ok, notwithstanding the fact we had no visual of what was in there ...
- Magnificent!SaJ1VIPDined on 7/14/2014Took a special out of town guest to L'Apicio because I knew based on my previous visits that I could count on our having a wonderful evening which we certainly did. They made us feel very special. The lamb ragu with spinach pasta was superb as well as our appetizers (the tuna tartar was our favorite) and dessert. It's excellent for dinner and brunch given their impeccable food, service and wine. My guest loved it as well!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for groups during brunch!Marz12VIPDined on 7/12/2014I went here for lunch with a large group on a Saturday afternoon. We had a great spot outside on a beautiful day. The restaurant has a great ambiance and outdoor seating space, however, it was not very busy at all for brunch. Given it was so quiet, we had pretty good service, although it took a while for the drinks to get to us. I really enjoyed the aperol spritz as a nice alternative to a mimosa for a breakfast cocktail. The food was generally great - I split the gravlax and frittatta with a friend, and both were great. If you're looking for a ton of food and/or a greasy brunch, this isn't the place for you. While we were satisfied, there were no sides served with eggs and the portion size was a little below average.Special Features:
- Understated Chic!AJHBDined on 7/11/2014Fantastic food, service with outstanding wine list!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MGuptaDined on 7/11/2014Garganelli verde was amazing. Great food :) great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food and incredible winesWillHDined on 7/6/2014I've been listening to Joe Campanele on Heritage Radio for over a year and kept hearing about L'Apicio. The menu had some really interesting choices. We ordered the Garganelli Verde, Orecchiete, Polenta with Meatballs and Dorado. Everything was fresh, expertly cooked and delicious. And what can I say about the wine list - such interesting and varied choices, with lots of slow-style and New California wines. The only problem is choosing one bottle. So that can be solved by ordering two or three glasses from an excellent by the glass list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great placeOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/5/2014I had some friends visiting from the UK. Dinner was great and the service was fantastic. I would definitely recommend L'Apicio.Special Features:
- SpringSpringDined on 7/3/2014Excellent Calabrian food, a very good, friendly service, and overall our experience was great. We recommend it highly, and will go back.Special Features:
- good Pasta, terrible servicePurplepen11Dined on 7/1/2014The ambiance and noise level were both excellent---. our server however was not. After doing some predinner yelping, three of us ordered the pasta with sausage and broccoli rabe pesto and that did not disappoint. Appetizer salads were overpriced and tasteless. When time came to possibly order dessert, our server miraculously reappeared to offer us the half bottle of wine still remaining in our bottle. We passed and I'm afraid we will on L'Apicio, despite the call of that pasta dish!Special Features:
- Just nom nom nom.MickNYCDined on 6/27/2014L'Apicio was a great place to go for my last date. My date was cold at the first table we were seated at, so I requested a move to outside, where it was much warmer, and they were more than happy to comply. The server was attentive and well-informed on the menu, and the wine list. The "orange" wine is interesting to try for a glass, but that's all I wanted of that. Fried green tomatoes were excellent, charbroiled octopus was good too. I had the Garganelli Verde, made with lamb ragu and pecorino. Delicious.Special Features:
- Engagement DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/27/2014I had a great experience this weekend at l'Apicio. It was the first time my parents were going to meet my fiance's parents, so the dinner setting had to be perfect. I ended up choosing l'Apicio because I had been there once before and was impressed by the ambience and the spaciousness. I was trying to balance my West Coast parents' request for a quiet and intimate dinner with my fiance's foodie parents from the East Coast. They seated us at a quiet spot in the back of the restaurant, and before we even had a chance to look at the menu had served us glasses of complimentary champagne to celebrate the occasion. I was beyond impressed at the thoughtfulness of this gesture.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/22/2014Our waiter decided he couldn't be bothered to serve our table for 9 so he had his runner serve us instead. Service was very very poor to say the least. Drinks spilled on us. Zero attention even though the restaurant was empty. Drinks took forever even though the restaurant was empty. 2 peoples pancakes came out cold. The has was barely warm with overcooked eggs and the food came out in pieces and not all at once. But no waiter ever came over to us to see how we liked the food once we were served so there was nothing we could do but eat cold I warm food with no drinks to wash it down. Will not be back, which is unforntunate because the first two times I loved this place.
- Bachelorette Party DinnerMatherDined on 6/21/2014We came this past Saturday night to do a small group celebration for a friend's bachelorette. We had SUCH a good time ... our server Diana was amazing!! The food was verrrrry, verrrrry delicious (I like it better than dell'anima and I guess tied with L'Artusi (?) / it's just so different). We had a great time and I'd recommend it to anyone - especially for a group. It was actually recommended to me by a friend who went with a group of girls for a bachelorette as well. So glad it's in the neighborhood and Diana is the best!Special Features:
- DinnerRupertDined on 6/17/2014Quality of food has slipped with their new menu. Didn't care for the food and will not be going backSpecial Features:
- My New Favorite RestaurantAKKatVIPDined on 6/17/2014Everything about our dinner at L'Apicio was amazing. We arrived early and had drinks at the bar. The cocktail menu gave us a sense of what we could expect at dinner. The drinks were creative, unique, well-balanced, and delicious. They put the L'Apicio stamp on cocktail standards like their Manhattan in Spring and L'Apicio G&T with white vermouth. Beyond the drinks, the food was incredible. The romaine salad was dressed to perfection, the broccoli rabe side had awesome personality, the gnocchi has ruined me for all other gnocchi, the tuscan fries put all other fries to shame, and the ice cream cake was divine. The service was excellent, the ambience was romantic and trendy. Overall, L'Apicio is an unforgettable experience.Special Features:
- Father's Day BrunchSherllyoDined on 6/15/2014I brought my family here for Father's Day and it was super delicious and affordable for brunch. Make sure to order a couple side dish's so you're filled. Portions are a bit small. All and all great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingJoechDined on 6/12/2014Great food. One of the best meals I've had in a while. Took my wife for her birthday and we enjoyed everything. Not 1 complaint. Definitely a must try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.