Langston Bar and Grille
1831 Benning Rd, NE
Washington, DC 20002Neighborhood:
Comfort FoodPrice: $30 and under
Langston Bar and Grille
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.langstonbar.com/
- Phone: 2023973637
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Friday: 4:00pm - 12:00am;
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Comfort Food
- Executive Chef: Joan Dorsey
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Happy Hour, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Smoking Area, Takeout, Weekend Brunch
- Catering: We are prepared to cater events from 10 people to 2000. Liquor catering available in Washington, DC.
- Private Party Facilities: Our dinning area can be reserved for small groups up to 45 people.
- Private Party Contact: Samantha 2023973637
- Entertainment: We play some of the best soul music history has to offer. Digital Juke Box.
A word from Langston Bar and Grille
Langston Bar & Grille is a soul food tavern where casual dining is enjoyed. Dedicated to serving the diverse mixture of people in the Washington metro area. This cozy venue (LBG) is tucked in the middle of some of Washington's finest landmarks like, Robert F. Kennedy Stadium, Langston Golf Course, US National Arboretum and Kingsman Island on the Anacostia River. We look forward to growing with the community and serving all your soul food dining needs, full bar available on site. Patio & deck seating also available.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Langston Bar and Grille reviews from OpenTable diners
2 reviews since June 2, 2014
- Ambiance2.5Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (1)Show More
- The food and service was horrible!!MsDivaVIPDined on 7/2/2014We went to use a groupon and they tell us they wont honor the groupon because the manager decided not to honor them. We ordered the shrimp and grits and the grits tasted like something in it had spoiled. So I told the waitress and her response was maybe it was the cheese sauce or the Cajun cream sauce. We then ordered the jerk wings. Big mistake. It came with dirty rice and the wings were on top of the rice and they put ranch dressing and some kind of jam on top of it. The wings weren't very tasty and the rice was too spicy and the bottom of the bowl was nothing but grease. So we just asked for the bill and sent it back. They brought the meal and still charged us for both items! After complaining, We didn't pay anything for the meal.
- The following 67 reviews are from the Langston Bar and Grille reviews archive.
- Terrible!!!!!springtimeDined on 5/24/2014I purchased a Groupon coupon for this attendance at this restaurant . Afterwards I decided to read some of the reviews which were mixed to say the least. We arrived early for our 2:00 pm required reservation, however, to our surprise the restaurant was closed (I mean padlocks were on the doors) !!!! I attempted to contact a live person via phone on numerous occasions to no avail. The fact that it’s located in a not so desirable area was the reason for the early reservation. Luckily Groupon refunded my monies for the unprofessional establishment.
- Hmmm....RayRaynmDined on 5/10/2014Not sure about this location. Ambiance needs another coat of paint, preferably not the green they went with... Food was delicious, specifically the Shrimp and grits. The bar b que was a little on the fatty side and greens were "drenched" in some sort of oil that was too tasty to be good for you... entrees came out the same time the appetizers arrived, hmmm.... The waitress was great... be prepared to hear all conversations taking place downstairs at the bar from the upstairs dining area. I would suggest you go early. We arrived at 5:15pm for a 5:30pm reservation... it was still light outside and that was good because we were worried about our car in the location we parked, hmmm... Overrall, 2 1/2 - 3 stars. We used a Groupon coupon.
- The reservation that Was NOTWastedTimeDined on 5/10/2014I called the restaurant and also made a reservation on their website during their advertised hours of operation. However, when we arrived , no one was there! They did not even call me back. So, i am sure they must be out of business or should be if they operate this way. They should also stop advertising thru GROUPON and other sources and let everyone know they are not really operating.Special Features:
- Hidden Gem with Fab FoodDogpawsDined on 5/3/2014The restaurant has great food especially the Shrimp and Grits. Nice bar downstairs and dining area on second floor. I would eat their again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- disorganized!!!!!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/27/2014Restaurant was never opened on time, certain menu items weren't available due to logistical issues. I ordered a potato cake, they brought me pie and charged me for it. I had to pay double my second visit because their card machine didn't work. Food wasn't consistent in taste second time around.
- EnjoyableTakeAChance4GoodFoodDined on 4/19/2014We celebrated a birthday for my husband. I'm accustomed to going to more 'high end' restaurants, but have frequented many of DC's smaller, older establishments in my 30 years of living in the area. I know that some of the best food is served in a small establishments, akin to mom's kitchen and are not always in the best part of town. I had invited guests so I warned them not to expect the Ritz. We had a blast! We had 3 small kids with us and we were a pretty loud bunch. The atmosphere was perfect for our group and the food was delicious. My daughter said she dreamed about her shrimp and grits that night they were so good. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Diamond in the roughSweetnellDined on 4/4/2014This restaurant was amazing. The location is not in the best part of the city, but I don't care about that. Amazing food, staff, and atmosphere, I'd return again in a heartbeat! Great job Langston's!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Seemed to be missing some foodLuvfoodDined on 3/23/2014They were out of two items that were on the menu and a substitution on our order was made without asking us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good good, slow service.MarcusVIPDined on 3/15/2014Langston's is slow and unorganized. The did is good, go with a groupon, and when you have lots of time so that you don't have to rush.I would recommend this to a friend.
- the hoodnot2safeDined on 3/7/2014I am sorry, but at an online glance I thought this was a great place to take my boyfriend for his Birthday. Not knowing anything about Benning Road, I went and to my surprise, it is not a safe place to visit at all. It is on a busy street with no real direction as were to park. People hanging out on the street corners, cursing, playing around at 730 at night, drinking across the street and police presence everywhere. I did not feel safe finding parking and then walking over to dinner, so we left and went to virginina (shirlington) where I felt safer. Maybe you should rethink the location or demand that the city cleans up this area and try to add well lit parking. that would have kept us there.
- DissapointingGuysDined on 2/14/2014Made a 9 pm reservation for V day after reading reviews that food was great but had a pretty bad experience. We were invited to sit by the bar and eat. We declined and had to wait 15 mins before being escorted to our table upstairs to an entire section that was empty. Fried fish nuggets as appetizer were ok but the sauce was not fresh. Steak was cold and WAY overdone and fried chicken not enough + served with wrong sides. Drinks were incorrect and didn't taste good--and took 25 mins to arrive. A request for a ginger ale from a passing waiter was met with an obviously rude glare and no response. We complained and it was just implied that the bad service was the result of a groupon deal--funny, coz we didn't use one!
- bad foodLishaDined on 2/14/2014The food I ordered was cold and after sending it back I receive it 20 minutes later it was still cold. My husband had eating his dinner and was finished by the time my food came out. His food was fantastic absolutely delicious. On the other hand I'm pretty sure my food would have been good as well if it was hot.
- servicesmileyDined on 2/14/2014The only thing I would complain about is the service. Our waitress was the only waitress upstairs she seem very frazzled and unsure of the menu. She didn't take orders by the way we came in and when the cook came upstairs with the food she seemed to have no idea where it went. I would suggest two waitresses upstairs. Other than that I enjoyed the food. I feel like it would have been better if everyone didn't seem like they were under pressure. I do wish that the food was served to me how I saw it in a picture.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- chill atmosphere, casualFoodyfooDined on 2/8/2014If you're not in a hurry and would like to try good soul food off the beaten path this place is suitable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Southern food at it's bestElJefeJonesDined on 2/2/2014The food was amazing! From apps to dessert (which we made room for after realizing how amazing the food was)! So flavorful & clearly made with love. We will definitely eat here again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Like this place. Jerk chickenmidwestdmvDined on 1/29/2014Like this place. Jerk chicken wings are great. Happy hour specials. Like this place..go inside..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable. Very much worth a try.WineauxInAlexandriaVIPDined on 1/18/2014The restaurant is located in an ungentrified part of NorthEast DC but near the up-and-coming H Street corridor. With that said, the restaurant owners are trying hard ... Likely some days they hit home runs, while on other days, they struggle for a base hit. On this night, they were fighting for doubles. The food is great ... And exactly as advertised: southern comfort food. The sweet potato cake ... delicious. The staff are attentive and they are trying hard to make the restaurant work. Langston's is off the beaten path for us -- and we have to pass a lot of other probably better restaurants to get there -- but we are going to put Langston's on our restaurant rotation to (1) reward the effort, and (2) see how the restaurant progresses.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unexpected surpriseTiffersDined on 12/20/2013I went out on a whim coming here. I had heard several good things about the location so I finally came. I'm glad I did. Service (natia, our server) was very sweet and efficient and the atmosphere was very nice. Can't forget to food was delish especially those shrimp & grits.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Surprisingly fresh & good Soul FoodMubbieDined on 12/3/2013NY'ers with business in NE DC, we wanted a good meal w/o going Downtown. Neighborhood seems to be in transition but we found a haven inside. Recently under new ownership, food was very fresh and it was a fun, funky place. I had a mixed salad to start, which was fresh and vibrant. Entrees: shrimp & grits for me - creamy, spiced just right, & on par with the best. Great fried chicken for Hubby - made-to-order, crunchy, & seasoned perfectly. Sides: collards & mac n' cheese. Both had a subtle tangy bite. Portions sized just right for this rich food, but we were too full for dessert, unfortunately - that night they served homemade peach cobbler or bread pudding. Awesome Soul Food! Thank you to our server Shanae for her warm hospitality!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- All I can say is the waitersLatonyaDined on 11/23/2013All I can say is the waiters need training .... The hostess and manager was awesome . But dealing with the waiter we did not feel welcome.Special Features:
- Food was amazing service wasOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/12/2013Food was amazing service was great can't wait to go backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I treated my brother hereMissRayDined on 10/26/2013I treated my brother here after we completed our first 5k! We arrived around 12:30pm & sat upstairs where it was warm. The place is like a brownstone in Brooklyn. Nicely decorated. A bit warm upstairs but it was so comfy!! The food was wonderful!! OMG soul food at its finest! I had fried Tilapia, mac n cheese, & greens. My brother had crab cakes, mashed potatoes (SOOOOO GOOD). They have the best hot sauce ever!! The food is seasoned perfectly! We slept like babies when we left lol! The food took a while to come since I am sure it was cooked from scratch but our waiter was so informative and nice! She was awesome! The area was a bit sketchy when walking from the metro.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Can't wait to get back!HerculesVIPDined on 10/23/2013Whenever I am in the mood for good southern cooking we will visit Langston Grille!! The food was prepared fresh and was DELICIOUS. I had shrimp and grits and my husband had the pork chops we were both very pleased! I would make a suggestion that you MAKE A RESERVATION! The restaurant is VERY small and there aren't many tables. Try the banana pudding mixed drink; it was delicious!Special Features:
- Good food. Great Service.UgorjiDined on 10/23/2013This place is a hidden gem. The service was excellent, and the food was really good; and the leftovers tasted even better the next day. Will definitely visit again.Special Features:
- Poor service but the foodGus1978Dined on 8/23/2013Poor service but the food was great my experience would've been much better if I didnt have to wait and hour and a half for my foodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quiet spot, average foodDan1696Dined on 8/10/2013I had the ox tail, my wife had the pork chop. Portions were good - not to big, not to small. And the food itself was average-to-slightly-better-than-average. I thought it was pretty fairly priced. We ate relatively late on a Saturday night, and the place was totally empty. The kitchen is open fairly late so it's a good find if you're looking for a late meal that's better than most late-night options.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never Again!2fordinnerDined on 8/2/2013This was our first time at this restaurant and we will not be returning. The dumb waiter was not working(so we were told) which caused us to wait an hour for our food. After waiting for almost forty minutes, we were given cold muffins to compensate for the wait. When the food did come, the order was wrong and the food is appetizer size. So, do not go here hungry, you will be stopping on the way home. I ordered the shrimp and grits which were just cheese grits with small salad size shrimp (6) and my husband order chicken gizzards but received livers instead. They ran out of iced tea so that was not available either. Just not a good dining experience at all.
- horrible service we came innothappy1Dined on 7/13/2013horrible service we came in at 10 pm which was still enough time to eat since the kitchen closed at 12 am... there were people who came in after who received there order but we never did except for the appetizers an hour later. the kitchen finally closed up and we never received our dinner..Special Features:
- HorribleShanDined on 7/13/2013I made a reservation at Langston Bar and Grill after finding it on Open Table. The reviews were good. I had a party of 15. I called ahead to let them know we planned to come. We were there threw hours and we were served a few appetizers and corn bread muffins. It was horrible. Even some of the appetizers err not prepared well. It was my first time using Open Table and maybe my last.
- Hot spot!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/29/2013The best part of this restuarnt was the service by our waitress. This restuarnt was so hot that it was unbearably uncomfortable! We waited about 1 to 1.5 hours for our food to come after we placed our order. The food was good, but I the other hand we all waited so long for the food that we were starving so anything probably would have been good. Over all I can say this place was ok, but it was so hot none of us really wanted to finish our food. We asked for to go boxes because it was so hot we really didn't want to eat the food.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food great, service terriblecross51Dined on 6/29/2013The food was great but the service was terrible. Shrimp & Grits, Fried Chicken Gizzards & Ox Tails were outstanding. Would have liked to have had a few more Ox Tails on the plate for the price we paid. Did get good service towards the end of our meal after another waitress took over our table. Would recommend for the food, just make sure your waitress is an experienced one.
- XceptionalzateDined on 6/25/2013More than I expected.............. Food was fantastic, service was very outstanding, and waitress was very tenative to our needs. First time customer and I will definitely become a regular.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not so goodsaygraceDined on 6/22/2013The food was okay.no wine selection.nothing on tap. Might be nice for group 4 or less. Probably will not go back.
- Hidden GemOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/22/2013This Soul Food restaurant was recommended by friend, who highly suggested that I visit. I'm glad I took that advice because the food is outstanding. I'm not only referring to my order, but what my entire party ordered. We sampled each other's plates and the comments were unanimously favorable. My only gripe is that the servings are too small. Also parking is limited and the surroundings are???. But it's worth the hassle. Bon Appetit!Special Features:
- The Worst ServiceTwashingtonDined on 6/15/2013This the worst service we have ever seen. The server was very slow. The food prices do not compliment the amount of food you receive. I will never return to this restaurant.
- The food was phenomenal.OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 4/1/2013The food was phenomenal. Blackened salmon was flavorful and tasty.Special Features:
- Things may come to those who wait..OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/23/2013The experience overall was disappointing. The concept of OpenTable does not apply to this restaurant. I made a reservation for a table of 3 at 6:30pm, but it was a waste of time and effort. There was none to greet you when you arrive. If it wasn't for being adventurous, I would not have known the dining area was up a flight of stairs. Needless to say, the remainder of the service for the nigth was terrible. Waited a long time to be seen, requests for things like silverware, water were not followed through on. I said all that to say, the food we ordered was "EXCELLENT." Chicken wings, Steak fries, Pork chop and Shrimp & grits.
- Good Food, Not So Good AtmosphereOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 2/13/2013Food was really good, we were the only ones dining upstairs. The waiter (I think his name was Trinidad) was on point and he made some good menu recommendations. The turn off was the fact that it was pretty drafty upstairs (we were chilly even with a sweater on) and the very loud 'rated-R barbershop' conversations was not helping with the ambience at all!Special Features:
- The food was great but theyOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/20/2013The food was great but they ran out of almost everything on the menu and they still didn't let you substitute for different side dishes without a charge. The service was okay but the staff seemed a little rushed and chaotic. but the food was goodSpecial Features: