7-11 Prospect Street
Madison, NJ 07940Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.lallegria.com/
- Phone: 9733776808
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 3:00pm, Saturday - Sunday: 1:00pm - 5:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Italian
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Monday to Saturday live piano from 7:00pm to close.
A word from L'Allegria
L'allegria, conceived by brothers Saverio and Giovanni Allocca in 1984, experienced a meteoric rise to stardom. It has maintained its lofty status due to the Allocca's dedication to optimum quality. The fashionable ristorante, with the casual feel of al fresco dining in a Mediterranean courtyard, features proficient, unpretentious European-style service, an award-winning wine cellar and a New York City trained kitchen staff. The delicate blend of exquisite renditions of authentic cuisine and wines from Italy's diverse regions, coupled with L'allegria's charming ambiance, create the quintessential Italian dining experience. As a result, L'allegria consistently wins the acclaim of restaurant critics and the applause of diners.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
L'Allegria reviews from OpenTable diners
37 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (23)romantic (17)neighborhood gem (13)notable wine list (11)fit for foodies (11)good for groups (8)great for lunch (3)great for brunch (2)scenic view (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- You Must try itJennaHelenDined on 9/9/2014If you love to stretch Italian to the limit of creativity you will love the selection at L'Allegria. And the lovely piano bar is wonderful if you wish to breeze in for drinks and appetizers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good, but not greatgo4foodDined on 9/6/2014The food was good, and that is what we came for. But, the service was not very attentive even though the restaurant was not busy. Also, the deco could use some updating.Special Features:
- Great food service and ambiance.Anaisabel8Dined on 9/5/2014The dinning experience was great . Food , service and ambiance was outstanding. My husband also enjoyed and I will take him out to dinner to L'Allegria restaurant for his birthday.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Fine RestaurantLizaWithaZDined on 8/30/2014Very good food, service and atmosphere. Nice for special occasions or a semi-elegant dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FridayniteDined on 8/16/2014Like being in Italy, for food, style, and décor. Always a pleasant dinner and night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mud week family dinnerRitzVIPDined on 8/13/2014It was great to make reservations as always in Open Table. The decor is a little out dated, wait staff is nice and friendly. Food was just ok. As a starter I had the clams in white wine sauce . Clams weren't local and so tiny maybe it was a tablespoon of clams in total. Very very salty too. I had a pasta bolonegese and the sauce was ok but it was supposed to be fresh made pappardelle. It was like a mound of paste. Just lumped in the plate. For dessert I had the pound cake with limoncello icing . It was so dry I took one bite and left it. Mostly everyone else had a similar experience with their dinner. I've been before and won't be back. Not cheap either .
- Outstanding Italian dining...FCWOLFDined on 8/13/2014We ordered two appetizer specials that sounded wonderful and proved to be as satisfying as their description. That started one of the most enjoyable meals we have had in quite a while. Everything was top quality, but the service truly stood out for the attentiveness and graciousness of our waitress, and the room's decor and the reserve of the other customers in the dining room maintained a relaxed and sophisticated atmosphere.Special Features:
- Great FlavorSuzyQDined on 8/6/2014I ordered the salmon and was amazed at the flavor combination! The unique presentation spiraled the salmon with zucchini and mint. It tasted amazing! Nicely done.Special Features:
- Great Italian restaurantFoodloverDined on 7/26/2014This restaurant offers authentic delicious Italian food .Service is professional friendly knowledgeable .It is a restaurant in my hometown I enjoy returning to again and again.Beautiful authentic decor combined with beautifully prepared and presented dishes make it one of the best in the area.Kitchen staff will make anything Italian you ask for in addition to an extensive menu,Highly recommend can't wait for my next visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely ambianceFoodie55Dined on 7/12/2014L'Allegria is a lovely Madison restaurant featuring good Italian fare and respectable service. The beef carpaccio appetizer is the best that I've had anywhere.Special Features:
- Fantastic food!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/23/2014I've been to this restaurant 4 times, and every time the food is perfect. The service is also top notch. This place is one of my favorites.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good food and servicerobgDined on 6/22/2014we've had uniformly good meals at L'Allegria. A little expensive to go all the time. We often get the specials, but my complaint there is that they do not state the prices. I do not think we the customers should have to ask. The desserts are fantastic, particularly the poached pear, although you need to save room because they're large. Good wine list, with some good bottles at OK prices, although some with the more common restaurant mark-ups, so if you have the time, research those before going.Special Features:
- solid italian foodrobgDined on 6/18/2014great service with friendly staff and good menu. the artichoke pasta dish was great, as was the poached pear dessert.Special Features:
- OK at bestWhipmanDined on 5/24/2014I will try to make this short and sweet. Menu is all over the place. They try to make it current but have dishes that were on menus back in the 70's. Serve you water in these 70's looking green glasses, not very attractive. App's were ok at best. Ordered the Rib Eye. Came out looking real good until I tasted it. Cooked perfect (medium rare) but tasteless. For 36.00 I expected it to be savory and enjoying every bite. Not the case. They served this with 4 sliced potatoes that were thrown in luke warm oil. They also threw a stalk of broccoli. Presentation was not good. My wife had medallions of beef. Came out looking like a piece of filet. Again tasteless. Had dessert, again nothing special. Décor not the most attractive, carpet needs to be up
- The following 249 reviews are from the L'Allegria reviews archive.
- Wonderful Graduation CelebrationEnjoyEatingVIPDined on 5/17/2014The service was impeccable. We were celebrating our daughter's university graduation with friends and family (a group of 12). They placed us in a lovely room. Everyone enjoyed the appetizer's (our server recommended the hot and cold antipastos for the table) and the main courses.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/12/2014I've had some very good meals here, this time was just ok.
- L'AllegriaJerseygourmetDined on 5/11/2014Excellent Italian-style fare, creative offerings, outstanding serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodBorntotravelVIPDined on 4/25/2014If you are looking for a nice quiet dinner with great food, dont look any further. This the place. I had the special shrimp with pasta and it was out of this world.Special Features:
- Fair food. Long wait. BeautifulSandyVIPDined on 4/5/2014Fair food. Long wait. Beautiful restaurant . OverpricedSpecial Features:
- Service and Ambianceluv2dineVIPDined on 3/21/2014Enjoyed dinner with friends on Friday. Ambiance was pleasant,and service was very attentive. My wine glass contained some of the cork,and the server attended to this immediately.I had shrimp francese for my entree and it was tasty. Piano player was a nice touch,and the cocktail menu is extensive. Close to train station also. Would recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- italian made right!GrouponDinnerVIPDined on 2/27/2014Lunch party of 8, had attentive and helpful staff. From appetizer to dessert, everything was perfectly prepared and yummy. Seafood and pasta dishes were generous and excellent. Save room for their signature cake for dessert, among the best I've had anywhere…..everyone at table agreed. Definitely would return.Special Features:
- Consistently good, but priceyspringfeverDined on 2/15/2014We have eaten at L'Allegria many times. The food is consistently good, but not outstanding. The menu never varies but they usually have one or two interesting specials each night. I had the steak giambotta special. The steak was good albeit a bit fatty and done to my liking (medium rare), and the giambotta was a bit heavy on the onions. I enjoyed it. My daughter likes the gnocchi but thought it was a bit "off" that night. The service, as always, was was attentive but not intrusive. Given the prices, it's good for a special occasion.Special Features:
- ambience was fine/ servicemikeeatsDined on 2/14/2014ambience was fine/ service staff very good but food was jsut average italian food you can get in a y NJ restaurantI would recommend this to a friend.
- Service was awful, food fair tooDisappointedDined on 2/14/2014I had hoped for an enjoyable Valentine’s Day dinner. Service at our table was extremely slow. The staff was disorganized as several different waiters and bus boys worked at our table. No one came to the table to explain or apologize for the delay in receiving our main entrées. The total time was over 2-1/2 hours at the restaurant. I appreciate relaxed dining, but this was ridiculous. Our waiter did not understand my wife’s questions as he said yes when asked if lemonade cocktail was sweet and if mousse-looking dessert was chocolate. Her drink was bitter and almost pure vodka and her dessert was one of the worst ever, tasted like unsweetened mashed potatoes. Overall, it was enormously disappointing.
- Fine dining pricing for avg. foodOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/14/2014We went here for Valentine's day since my husband had wanted to try it for years. Likes - quiet, romantic ambience. Bread basket was fresh and bountiful including several breads and rolls. Polenta appetizer was tasty with nice portion, although it's hard to mess up polenta. Dislikes - Only the wine list specials were offered, we didn't get an entire wine menu. 3 filet mignon medallions were cooked perfectly but not flavorful. The pasta stuffed with broccoli rabe & sausage was good in concept but not execution. The pasta was undercooked (not al dente) and the roasted garlic sauce lacked flavor. We were left waiting for the check for a long time until we finally were able to get the server's attention.Special Features:
- Fantastic meal!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 2/14/2014What a delight! We both loved every aspect of our meal...we can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We dine there often and itMtwnfoodieVIPDined on 2/14/2014We dine there often and it is a great place for a wondeful meal. L'Allegria is a consistent performer on all the important points for a restaurant.Special Features:
- Gristle veal and eat all at once.luvagoodmealVIPDined on 2/14/2014They brought the salad and appetizer the same time so appetizer got cold while eating salad. Then they brought the dinners while we were eating appetizer so my meal had to get cold while waiting for us to finish appetizer. They obviously were rushing us out. The veal was chewy with gristle . The total bill was $ 200. So we won't be back don't like having all servings out at once that's not a enjoyable dinner. I know it was Valentines day but it's supposed to be special and they didn't give the women anything special for valentines day a flower, a drink nothing . We were hungry and not eating slow so no excuse for that
- Pretty lousyOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/1/2014The appetizers were okay, but the main dish was terrible (some special on the menu). The service was awful. No butter came out with the bread and then when we asked for it, the waitress looked mortified that she hadn't brought it out to begin with but then forgot it again. By the time we asked the bus boy and got it, the main courses had already arrived. Overall, a very high priced but utterly mediocre experience.
- Disappointed.raygunVIPDined on 1/9/2014Our first and probably last time. No blue cheese olives for martinis, one of my marks of a fine dining restaurant. Gnocchi appetizer was very good but my veal chop was not cooked evenly throughout to my requested temperature and my bread pudding dessert can only be described as bad. The only thing good about it was the accompanying scoop of vanilla ice cream which I think was Haagen Dasz. The service was very attentive, the atmosphere was good and there was a very good pianist but that was not enough to lift the food up.Special Features:
- We all had a wonderful diningOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 1/5/2014We all had a wonderful dining experience. Service, food, ambiance, wine list was superb. Our waiter Carlos was delightful and helpful. IsabellaSpecial Features:
- Good mostly standard italianOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 12/28/2013Good mostly standard italian food with good service, they did not rush you. reasonable prices however check the prices of the specials, not mentioned by waitstaff when describing. They are considerably more expensiveSpecial Features:
- Good Neighborhood ItalianTheTappsDined on 12/28/2013A nice place in our neighborhood for authentic Italian. We had great service. The wine list is also impressive. We each started with a drink from the bar which tasted great but was definitely strong since we both felt tipsy after only one drink. It's pricey so we won't return often but may try the take-out pizza option once in awhile.Special Features:
- Blizzard DinnerHabitualDinerDined on 12/14/2013My mom was in from out of town, and we were in the middle of a blizzard, but decided to keep our reservation. The staff was just great - reassuring us that we were not holding them up from going home and very happy to see us. They were very attentive and the food delicious as always. It made for a very cozy and enjoyable evening out of the cold and snow.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very disapointed with L'Allegria.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/13/2013Very disapointed with L'Allegria. Poor service, food order was mixed up by cook. Will not be back.
- A favorite in Morris CountyhuhkevinDined on 12/2/2013Both the food and service are fantastic. Their staff is just great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I Love L'AllegriaRobertaDined on 12/1/2013L'Allegria never fails to deliver. Personable service, delicious food, great atmosphere. Keep it up!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overpriced!!! Dinner for 2SunnyGirlDined on 11/22/2013Overpriced!!! Dinner for 2 came to $150 with only 1 drink each. Didn't like the clam appetizer at all and only had 1 bite but was still charged for it.Special Features:
- Very relaxing and enjoyableJR4foodDined on 11/17/2013Very relaxing and enjoyable dining experience. Great atmosphere, food, service. I would like to go back again and try other dishes. My girlfriend loved it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thank you Open TableluvagoodmealVIPDined on 11/16/2013Or I never would know about this excellent ,special place Everything we had was tops.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.