Berkeley, CA 94706Neighborhood:
CalifornianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.lalimes.com/
- Phone: (510) 527-9838x
- Hours of Operation:
Wednesday & Thursday: 5:30pm - 9:30pm
Friday & Saturday 5:00pm - 10:00pm
Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
We are closed Monday & Tuesdays,
July 4th, Thanksgiving Day and Christmas Day
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Californian, French
- Executive Chef: Ezra Malmuth
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Lalime's
Lalime's strives to maintain a sustainable and enticing menu based on seasonal and local produce and meats. We focus on creating a special evening for each individual that walks through our door and hope you will have a wonderful evening you will remember always. Bon Appétit!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Lalime's reviews from OpenTable diners
123 reviews since June 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (80)fit for foodies (69)special occasion (65)romantic (55)notable wine list (24)good for groups (14)vibrant bar scene (6)late-night find (5)hot spot (4)great for brunch (3)great for outdoor dining (1)scenic view (1)kid-friendly (1)great for lunch (1)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/19/2014excellent cocktails and the 5 of us got to sit in the small room - good the hearing impaired one of usSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still invitinglcsoakDined on 10/19/2014I visited for my birthday. Just me and husband. We were welcomed and our request through Open Table was honored. Very attentive staff, great food. Great wine. Loved it. Romantic. Will recommend to friends.Special Features:
- Always a PleasureOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/18/2014We live just blocks away, but we rarely go out to dinner, and so Lalime's remains for us a special "destination." On the afternoon of the night we recently dined there, Cal's football team had had a home game. As a result, the place was packed, but service was welcoming and congenial, and the food was wonderful. We're encouraged that Lalime's can continue to deliver.Special Features:
- One of the best in BerkeleyveglocavoreDined on 10/16/2014Lalime's is hidden away in a quiet North Berkeley neighborhood, but it is one of the best restaurants in Berkeley and the SF Bay Area. The restaurant has a vibrant atmosphere, innovative cuisine, and an amazing selection of specialty cocktails and wines. They always treat us very well there. Sometimes when they are busy they might be a little slow, but it is well worth it. We recently went there for a special occasion and enjoyed the fall menu. The menu always focuses on seasonal ingredients. For a starter we had an outstanding Kabocha soup with toasted pepitas. We also loved our entrees and a dessert of panna cotta with pomegranate. Highly recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- not as great as expectedAlbanyFoo2ieDined on 10/16/2014Some of our entrees were good, it was very disappointing that our one diner who was just looking for a good hamburger couldn't even get that. Over cooked, dry, small, unappealing. One would hope that when going to a nicer place and paying $16 for a burger it would be fantastic. Very disappointing. Service was friendly but forgetful of our table so drinks sat empty for a while, but it was a busy night and that happens. The atmosphere was lovely, the little bar and bartender were charming, a lovely spot. Just a disappointing evening with regard to some of the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentBerkeleyloyalDined on 10/11/2014Great food an service. Been going here for 20+ yearsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- one of our favoritesFranVIPDined on 10/4/2014We dine at Lalime's often. The food is well prepared. The menu reflects the seasons and the service is very good. The servers know the menu as well as the wine list.Special Features:
- A little disappointing...Local30VIPDined on 10/2/2014I'm a big fan of this place but my food was very underwhelming this visit. My dining companions were happier with their entrees however. The tomato salad was soggy and lacking taste and my lamb t-bone was half fat and difficult to enjoy without picking it up with your fingers (which I couldn't do in public).Special Features:
- Not what used to be.FredDined on 10/1/2014The food has gone downhill from a few years ago. The service was slow, considering the restaurant was half full. Of two dinners one was ok. Salad dressing bland. Weak ice tea. Tasteless fish entree, generally disappointing.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/27/2014absolutely excellent in all respects. occasionally superb. always welcoming. this time we were particularly appreciative that on a saturday night they were totally chill when traffic really messed up our party.Special Features:
- Consistent excellenceRiverDined on 9/21/2014Imaginative seasonal dishes that allow for the essential flavor of each quality element to come forward. Always a treat for diners of varying inclinations. Great service, good wine list, full bar, private room for larger groups. Could easily be $50 per person.Special Features:
- Delicious, well-cooked, earthy fareHealthfulWithHubbyDined on 9/21/2014Host graciously slipped us in, earlier than our recently-made reservation. Hubby enjoyed wines, and service was attentive to limited water fills (drought). Totally solid, herbed appetizer seasonings. Chicken was perfectly succulent, lamb a tad too rare. Veggies were nicely complimentary, and it would have been great if they were increased in volume. Loved the squashy yellow watermelon sorbet, if not the bitter coffee, myself.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YumAndrewDemcakDined on 9/20/2014Lalimes is a marvelous gem of restaurant feauturing great food and a vibrant atmosphere.Special Features:
- Nice restaurant, ok foodRogerDined on 9/19/2014I used to eat often at Lalime's. returned recently to find the same lovely space, but much noisier than I had remembered. Found some interesting choices on the menu, all a bit pricy IMHO. Portions were a bit small for the price. Service was very good. Desserts to sweet. Overall merely satisfactory.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 9/11/2014reliably excellent on all fronts. no epihphanies, but a fun satisfying place for dinner with friends.Special Features:
- Lovely Lalime'sAugsburgfoodieDined on 9/7/2014We made a reservation at the last minute for a family dinner and were surprised and delighted by how imaginative and beautifully prepared the food was. We had a cauliflower salad (sounds unpromising, but the preparation with tahini and mint was terrific), squid ink fettuccine with a very well-balanced saffron and lobster sauce, perfectly grilled calamari with excellent accompanying herbs and tiny peeled tomatoes, plus an exemplary burger and fries for the young 'un. It is a quiet place, verging on the sedate, with a bit of jazz playing in the background the evening we were there. The have a small but interesting list of wine and beer. We found that the prices were justified by the quality. The service was expert and friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- foodyforfivedecadesVIPDined on 9/6/2014My current bay area favorite!.. it even surprised my vegetarian friend in how delicious and beautiful were the salads, soup and tagine...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The place for special peopleBerkhomeboyDined on 9/5/2014I'm a long time Berkeley resident who matches Lalimes with special people - folks from out of town, a romantic moment, and this time to see friends who hinted that they had big news (and they did). If I lived in the neighborhood, I'd be a regular at the bar. The drinks are good, the wine list works, and the meals rarely disappoint.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointinglike2eatDined on 9/5/2014Food was fair at best. Was expecting a lot better so was disappointed. The soup was only warm and missed for this. Heirloom tomatoes had been stored in the the chiller - a flavor no-no from the beginning. The kabobs were tough. Couldn't tell the lamb from the beef and sauces were overwhelming. With so many other great restaurants in the area to choose from, why go back?Special Features:
- It's usually greatBenTheretooDined on 8/31/2014I've been many times but not for a while now. My Halibat was quite overdone and portions were small. They must be use to cooking a larger piece. My 15 year old daughter had the fillet of beef and was hungry afterwards. There's too much competion in the area to let people leave hungry. We all had appetizers and dessert too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another wonderful meal!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/30/2014We go to Lalime's for special occasions and once again the evening was perfect! We had a lovely meal and lovely service. I would recommend Lalime's to anyone who wants outstanding food in a quiet neighborhood setting.Special Features:
- Anniversary dinner was great.larwalkDined on 8/28/2014A tradition in my family anniversaries at Lalime's.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good late-night findLDSPVIPDined on 8/27/20148:30pm reservation resulted in a quieter restaurant, and we were seated on the balcony, overlooking the main dinging area (in what used to be a loud bar, but now is cozy). Very fresh, local ingredients. Frees street parking - a local gem!Special Features:
- I would passOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/24/2014The service here is awful. It seems that they have rotating people at every table and no one person is responsible for service. The food was mediocre at best and the wine was worse. Dessert was good though.
- Hidden GemGermanchocDined on 8/22/2014One of the best calamari dishes we have ever had. The lamb was out of this world! Food came out relatively quick. None of my friends knew about this place but they do now.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A GemDoctorLDDined on 8/21/2014Lalime's never fails to please. The menu is creative, without ever sacrificing excellent flavors and bright, fresh food. The staff are attentive, and the bar serves stellar renditions of old favorites and interesting new options.Special Features:
- Dinner at LaLimemangionaDined on 8/20/2014We were not sure what to expect and were happily surprised with an interesting menu, excellent prepared and tasty food. We enjoyed everything and traded food back and forth. Nice low-key service with a friendly manager who took our table request seriously. We will now make this a place to go to.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- go-to special dinner spotpedalergalDined on 8/15/2014We like to come here for birthdays, anniversary dinners when in town for those occasions. Got the window seat as requested...seated right away. Service and all wait staff always personable. Only glitch was out of duck....also out of the Sainte Germaine for the cocktail we hoped for. Hummm, 2 for 2....At 7:15 p.m. on a Friday. Really? But the substitute with Kir suggested by the server was divine, as was her wine recommendation to pair with my husband's lamb. Everything else great, perfectly cooked, reasonable portions, nicely presented. Sharing the same birthday with our server was fun, too. We'll be back...again and again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodmichaelDined on 8/15/2014Really had a very nice experience as usual. The staff was great, the food was also great as well as the ambiance.Special Features:
- Outstanding dining.larwalkDined on 8/14/2014We are on Lalime's email mailing list and thus get weekly messages of Thursday night special dinners. When I saw that the dinner featured lamb chops AND risotto, two of my favorites, I immediately booked a table for that same night. The meal was delicious and a good value at $40 for a three-course meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Celebration choice!jrockDined on 8/13/2014Lalimes is where we go to celebrate occasions. It is warm, lively with lovely food and great service. But each table feels private and every word can be heard. We love everything about it.Special Features:
- Birthday DinnerLoves2eatoutVIPDined on 8/10/2014We took my husband to dinner on a Sunday night for his birthday at Lalime's. The food was great as was the wine. The chocolate cake was to die for! The staff was pleasant and very efficient. They never tried to hurry us. Lalime is a quiet place where our group of 6 could easily hear everyone. Everyone in our party enjoyed dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A FavoriteMwardDined on 8/9/2014We have been celebrating special occasions at Lalimes for many years. It has always remained one of our favorite restaurants.Special Features:
- One of Berkeley's BestOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/8/2014Consistently excellent food, filet was perfectly done, mussels very good if not inspired, soup and salad both tasty. Wine choices very nice and fairly priced.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasing Birthday DinnerloveOaklandVIPDined on 8/2/2014In my last review, I was positive about the food but complained about the very small portion size. I was pleased that generous portions were served to both myself and my partner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food Quality Not Up To ParPandMVIPDined on 7/31/2014Service was superb but the food is not of the quality it used to be. Too much garlic and lacking the complexity to be really interesting. Not even some form of crouton on the Caesar Salad. Is it a Caesar without a crouton?
- Lovely Local PlaceJeffDined on 7/27/2014Lalime's is our "go to" destination every time we stay in Berkeley or Emeryvilly. Creative menu, very fresh and delicious local veggies, warm service and pleasant atmosphere. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Patient waiter, fine foodBerkeleySusanVIPDined on 7/27/2014We eat at Lalime's pretty often. This time we had very food fussy friends with us and were embarrassed by the number of silly questions and needs they had. The waiter was remarkably cheery and every question, such as "could there be even a drop of alcohol in zabaglione?" was answered carefully. The funniest guest was the one who wanted her gazpacho "at room temperature, please". The dishes were all excellent, except the pork my husband ordered. He asked for medium rare, and it was that, but it was also cold. This was a very unusual slip-up in our experience, but after all the other fussy eaters' neediness, he chose not to mention the problem. My piri-piri chicken was particularly delicious. We'll definitely be back, minus the guests.Special Features:
- Fabulous dinner!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/26/2014We love Lalime's. Every time we come here, everything is just fantastic. tonight the steak and the chicken were so good; and the steak was cooked perfectly. This is our "go to" restaurant now!!Special Features:
- two star at bestOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/25/2014This isn't a 4 star restaurant not even 2 star..unbelievable folks rated it so highly..Nice presentation..but bland and not even warm ...