Berkeley, CA 94706Neighborhood:
CalifornianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.lalimes.com/
- Phone: (510) 527-9838x
- Hours of Operation:
Wednesday & Thursday: 5:30pm - 9:30pm
Friday & Saturday 5:00pm - 10:00pm
Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
We are closed Monday & Tuesdays,
July 4th, Thanksgiving Day and Christmas Day
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Californian, French
- Executive Chef: Ezra Malmuth
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Lalime's
Lalime's strives to maintain a sustainable and enticing menu based on seasonal and local produce and meats. We focus on creating a special evening for each individual that walks through our door and hope you will have a wonderful evening you will remember always. Bon Appétit!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerCalifornian
Lalime's - Best Restaurants in Berkeley ›
Lalime's reviews from OpenTable diners
126 reviews since May 21, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (88)special occasion (76)fit for foodies (72)romantic (52)notable wine list (23)good for groups (13)vibrant bar scene (3)kid-friendly (3)hot spot (3)great for brunch (3)late-night find (2)great for outdoor dining (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 9/11/2014reliably excellent on all fronts. no epihphanies, but a fun satisfying place for dinner with friends.Special Features:
- Lovely Lalime'sAugsburgfoodieDined on 9/7/2014We made a reservation at the last minute for a family dinner and were surprised and delighted by how imaginative and beautifully prepared the food was. We had a cauliflower salad (sounds unpromising, but the preparation with tahini and mint was terrific), squid ink fettuccine with a very well-balanced saffron and lobster sauce, perfectly grilled calamari with excellent accompanying herbs and tiny peeled tomatoes, plus an exemplary burger and fries for the young 'un. It is a quiet place, verging on the sedate, with a bit of jazz playing in the background the evening we were there. The have a small but interesting list of wine and beer. We found that the prices were justified by the quality. The service was expert and friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- foodyforfivedecadesVIPDined on 9/6/2014My current bay area favorite!.. it even surprised my vegetarian friend in how delicious and beautiful were the salads, soup and tagine...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The place for special peopleBerkhomeboyDined on 9/5/2014I'm a long time Berkeley resident who matches Lalimes with special people - folks from out of town, a romantic moment, and this time to see friends who hinted that they had big news (and they did). If I lived in the neighborhood, I'd be a regular at the bar. The drinks are good, the wine list works, and the meals rarely disappoint.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointinglike2eatDined on 9/5/2014Food was fair at best. Was expecting a lot better so was disappointed. The soup was only warm and missed for this. Heirloom tomatoes had been stored in the the chiller - a flavor no-no from the beginning. The kabobs were tough. Couldn't tell the lamb from the beef and sauces were overwhelming. With so many other great restaurants in the area to choose from, why go back?Special Features:
- It's usually greatBenTheretooDined on 8/31/2014I've been many times but not for a while now. My Halibat was quite overdone and portions were small. They must be use to cooking a larger piece. My 15 year old daughter had the fillet of beef and was hungry afterwards. There's too much competion in the area to let people leave hungry. We all had appetizers and dessert too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another wonderful meal!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/30/2014We go to Lalime's for special occasions and once again the evening was perfect! We had a lovely meal and lovely service. I would recommend Lalime's to anyone who wants outstanding food in a quiet neighborhood setting.Special Features:
- Anniversary dinner was great.larwalkDined on 8/28/2014A tradition in my family anniversaries at Lalime's.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I would passOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/24/2014The service here is awful. It seems that they have rotating people at every table and no one person is responsible for service. The food was mediocre at best and the wine was worse. Dessert was good though.
- Hidden GemGermanchocDined on 8/22/2014One of the best calamari dishes we have ever had. The lamb was out of this world! Food came out relatively quick. None of my friends knew about this place but they do now.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A GemDoctorLDDined on 8/21/2014Lalime's never fails to please. The menu is creative, without ever sacrificing excellent flavors and bright, fresh food. The staff are attentive, and the bar serves stellar renditions of old favorites and interesting new options.Special Features:
- Dinner at LaLimemangionaDined on 8/20/2014We were not sure what to expect and were happily surprised with an interesting menu, excellent prepared and tasty food. We enjoyed everything and traded food back and forth. Nice low-key service with a friendly manager who took our table request seriously. We will now make this a place to go to.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- go-to special dinner spotpedalergalDined on 8/15/2014We like to come here for birthdays, anniversary dinners when in town for those occasions. Got the window seat as requested...seated right away. Service and all wait staff always personable. Only glitch was out of duck....also out of the Sainte Germaine for the cocktail we hoped for. Hummm, 2 for 2....At 7:15 p.m. on a Friday. Really? But the substitute with Kir suggested by the server was divine, as was her wine recommendation to pair with my husband's lamb. Everything else great, perfectly cooked, reasonable portions, nicely presented. Sharing the same birthday with our server was fun, too. We'll be back...again and again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodmichaelDined on 8/15/2014Really had a very nice experience as usual. The staff was great, the food was also great as well as the ambiance.Special Features:
- Outstanding dining.larwalkDined on 8/14/2014We are on Lalime's email mailing list and thus get weekly messages of Thursday night special dinners. When I saw that the dinner featured lamb chops AND risotto, two of my favorites, I immediately booked a table for that same night. The meal was delicious and a good value at $40 for a three-course meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Celebration choice!jrockDined on 8/13/2014Lalimes is where we go to celebrate occasions. It is warm, lively with lovely food and great service. But each table feels private and every word can be heard. We love everything about it.Special Features:
- Birthday DinnerLoves2eatoutVIPDined on 8/10/2014We took my husband to dinner on a Sunday night for his birthday at Lalime's. The food was great as was the wine. The chocolate cake was to die for! The staff was pleasant and very efficient. They never tried to hurry us. Lalime is a quiet place where our group of 6 could easily hear everyone. Everyone in our party enjoyed dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A FavoriteMwardDined on 8/9/2014We have been celebrating special occasions at Lalimes for many years. It has always remained one of our favorite restaurants.Special Features:
- One of Berkeley's BestOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/8/2014Consistently excellent food, filet was perfectly done, mussels very good if not inspired, soup and salad both tasty. Wine choices very nice and fairly priced.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasing Birthday DinnerloveOaklandVIPDined on 8/2/2014In my last review, I was positive about the food but complained about the very small portion size. I was pleased that generous portions were served to both myself and my partner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food Quality Not Up To ParPandMVIPDined on 7/31/2014Service was superb but the food is not of the quality it used to be. Too much garlic and lacking the complexity to be really interesting. Not even some form of crouton on the Caesar Salad. Is it a Caesar without a crouton?
- Lovely Local PlaceJeffDined on 7/27/2014Lalime's is our "go to" destination every time we stay in Berkeley or Emeryvilly. Creative menu, very fresh and delicious local veggies, warm service and pleasant atmosphere. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Patient waiter, fine foodBerkeleySusanVIPDined on 7/27/2014We eat at Lalime's pretty often. This time we had very food fussy friends with us and were embarrassed by the number of silly questions and needs they had. The waiter was remarkably cheery and every question, such as "could there be even a drop of alcohol in zabaglione?" was answered carefully. The funniest guest was the one who wanted her gazpacho "at room temperature, please". The dishes were all excellent, except the pork my husband ordered. He asked for medium rare, and it was that, but it was also cold. This was a very unusual slip-up in our experience, but after all the other fussy eaters' neediness, he chose not to mention the problem. My piri-piri chicken was particularly delicious. We'll definitely be back, minus the guests.Special Features:
- Fabulous dinner!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/26/2014We love Lalime's. Every time we come here, everything is just fantastic. tonight the steak and the chicken were so good; and the steak was cooked perfectly. This is our "go to" restaurant now!!Special Features:
- two star at bestOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/25/2014This isn't a 4 star restaurant not even 2 star..unbelievable folks rated it so highly..Nice presentation..but bland and not even warm ...
- A wonderful eveningseafoodloverDined on 7/24/2014We were a group of 7 including a 3 year old. We were given a table big enough for 8 so everyone was seated comfortably. The cocktails, the appetitizers (calamari and mussel) were all excellent. we ordered the seared local King Salmon. The salmon was perfectly done. Not overcooked and not raw. We tried ice cream and the chocolate cake and they were delightful too. Overall, it was a dinner that everyone enjoyed. We have been to Lalime's for years so we knew that we will not be disappointed.Special Features:
- Good FoodHottemp375Dined on 7/23/2014Very nice food that was well prepared. Steak was excellent as was the spicy but balanced Chicken Piri Piri. I had Salmon and though it was good the portion of Salmon for $27 was too small. I would have eaten the same again and not felt overfed. My Pinot Noir by the glass was good but my friends Cabernet tasted flat like the bottle had been open too long.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- vampyreDined on 7/18/2014Been going to Lalime's on and off for many years and have never been dissapointed in the quality of the food or the menu choices. The new menu is unispiring. I ordered the Chicken piri piri which came with tasteless egg plant and a flat bread or naan that was supposed to be served under the chicken which sounded disgusting to me. I ordered it on the side. What I got was 1/4 of what looked and tasted like a fried flour tortilla. The desert looked and tasted like something one would buy at Safeway. The only good thing was the martini. I ordered 2 and they were excellent. Bring back the sweet breads.....
- Boring FoodThatsItVIPDined on 7/18/2014Quite simply the food was very, very boring. Service was good, the restaurant itself was a beautiful room. But the food was boring, I would never go back.
- Amazing meal and experienceDiner333Dined on 7/17/2014Came to celebrate our bosses birthday and had outstanding drinks, meals and service. Chose Lalimes because our boss is a foodie. We walked in and immediately felt the warmth and charm if the restaurant. There were 6 of us so we were seated in a small private room which was perfect. Food was excellent. I had the steak and am very picky about it being cooked to perfection and it was amazing! Better than many high end foodie places I've been to. Also got to taste the Piri Piri chicken, the salmon, and the pasta which were all excellent. Calamari appetizer was delicious, as were the Cesar and Arugula salads. Finished withs cappuccino and shared desserts which were all top notch! I will definitely come again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- our big daymybigdayDined on 6/28/2014We had a delicious, celebratory meal at Lalimes. My husband proposed there 21 years ago on his birthday and we go back every year on that date as well as for other events. The meal began with a delicious roasted corn soup and carefully seasoned ceasar salad. The Piri Piri chicken had a tasty crust and the eggplant was the best I have ever had. The portions were go generous that I took half of it home for lunch the next day. My husband had the extremely tender boneless pork chop with bok choy. We ended with a lovely fruit crumble with home made ice cream and a complimentary glass of calvados. The service was efficient but unobtrusive. We had the same table upstairs where my husband popped the question.Special Features:
- Loved it for years & yearsCalOVIPDined on 6/22/2014Always like going back to Lalime's - we are not as close as we used to be, but always try on our anniversary to get back there. The food is always top notch, the ambiance is very nice, but with a hint of CA relaxed to it.Special Features:
- krissykrissyDined on 6/21/2014This restaurant was superb, everything was delicious and the service outstanding. I would highly recommend Lalime's and will definitely return.Special Features:
- outstandingFranVIPDined on 6/21/2014Our dining experience at Lalime's was outstanding. The pork and the lamb entrees were superb....delicious, cooked perfectly, and presented in a creative way. The service was just right and I appreciate the table cloths (something most restaurants seem to lack.Special Features:
- Dinner at Lalime'sDD116Dined on 6/20/2014The pork and lamb dishes were inventive - they were both moist and not over-cooked. One of our party chose the chicken and found it a little overly spicy for her taste. The server could have been a bit more engaged. We enjoyed the relaxed pace and ambience of Lalime's, which was conducive to conversation. Serving sizes are moderate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Father's Day treatRFearsomeDined on 6/14/2014My sweetie took me out for a pre-Father's Day treat and this is where I chose. It was my first time here and I would highly recommend it others.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Turtle-paced ServicefrillyDined on 6/12/2014We arrived early to be told that our request for a table by the window could not be honored, no apology, and were seated in a booth across from the window. Water was promptly delivered. We waited 17 minutes before our waiter arrived. He unapologeticlly announced that he'd been busy but was 'here now' even after having the length of our wait pointed out. It took another 20 minutes for our drinks, two glasses of wine, to arrive, again with no apology. When our 'anniversary special' dinners finally arrived, we were out of wine but weren't offered refills by the waiter who was busy interacting with the couple at the window table across from us. We had to remind him that dessert were included with the special. It was saddening.Special Features:
- Comfort food-yum,yum!ShaunDined on 6/12/2014I enjoyed the fixed price special of buttermilk fried chicken with a unique potato salad and green beans. The chicken was beautifully crisp on the outside with tender meat on the inside! Also,the bread pudding for dessert was excellent-not too sweet.Special Features:
- Excellent, as alwaysChewyDined on 6/12/2014Love this restaurant. Great food, friendly staff. Most if my special dinners here now.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a pleasurefoodluverVIPDined on 6/7/2014Happy crowd at 7 on Saturday night. Sat in the upstairs section as a change of pace - found we prefer the downstairs. Lovely wines by the glass. Calamari starter was terrific; grilled baby gems were tasty but too much bacon and blue cheese. Salmon was wonderful; pea fettucine OK. Gelato was excellent. As usual, we had a lovely evening at Lalime's - always a pleasure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.