Berkeley, CA 94706Neighborhood:
CalifornianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.lalimes.com/
- Phone: (510) 527-9838
- Hours of Operation:
Wednesday & Thursday: 5:30pm - 9:30pm
Friday & Saturday 5:00pm - 10:00pm
Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
We are closed Monday & Tuesdays,
July 4th, Thanksgiving Day and Christmas Day
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Californian, French
- Executive Chef: Ezra Malmuth
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Lalime's
Lalime's strives to maintain a sustainable and enticing menu based on seasonal and local produce and meats. We focus on creating a special evening for each individual that walks through our door and hope you will have a wonderful evening you will remember always. Bon Appétit!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Lalime's reviews from OpenTable diners
134 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (88)fit for foodies (82)special occasion (69)romantic (58)notable wine list (28)good for groups (15)vibrant bar scene (7)late-night find (5)hot spot (4)great for outdoor dining (1)scenic view (1)kid-friendly (1)great for lunch (1)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Lalime's - still good after all these yearsAnonVIPDined on 11/16/2014I've been dining here on and off for over 20 years, but hadn't been in awhile. While the prices are a bit higher, the food is every bit as good as it ever was. Perfectly cooked lamb, delicious veggie options with a red curry sauce (I didn't even miss the meat), and a great Moscow Mule cocktail to start things off made us all long to come back even before we were finished! Desserts were good, and easy to split. Definitely will be back before long.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A little disappointingTerrificTravelerDined on 11/15/2014I picked Lalimes for a special evening with four other family members and was a little disappointed. There was a long wait between the salad (which was excellent) and the main course. That would have been fine if we had been able to chat, but the dining room was so noisy, each of us could hear only if someone spoke directly into an ear. The couple who ordered hamburger and fries were enthusiastic about their food. I was glad they were happy, but Lalimes is rather pricey for a burger place. I had the skate and was not so enthusiastic, but I had never had skate before so I don't know if the problems was the preparation or it is just not a very good tasting fish
- This is a classic restaurant, and an old friend.FelireneDined on 11/15/2014Last Thursday, after looking at all the unavailable tables on a Saturday Night in the East Bay, I was lucky enough to remember Lalime's in my old North Berkeley neighborhood. I took some friends visiting from SoCal to dinner there Saturday, and we all appreciated the classic dining experience and spectacular food! Not every neighborhood outside of a downtown business district can boast having a four-star restaurant within walking distance, but Lalime's fills the bill in a way that only Berkeley can, quietly, steadily, and with continued commitment to great taste, great flavors and good service. Thank you for being such a great and steady old friend, Lalime's.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What's happened to you, Lalime's?AuntieBreeDined on 11/12/2014We've been Lalime's fans for over a decade and have celebrated many a birthday and anniversary there. So it was a natural choice for my husband's 60th birthday dinner with 5 family friends. But something has gone seriously awry. Service was sloppy and slow--25 minutes between drinks served and orders taken; meals brought out one at a time over a 15 minute period (some were well on their way thru their meals while others let ours get cold waiting for the birthday man to be served his steak); dessert menus never came even after we asked for them after being ignored for 15 minutes. The check only came after I sent everyone else home, too embarrassed to keep them waiting for the $200 check after our mediocre experience. Really...I'd like to know. What happened to you, Lalime's? I'm not sure we'll ever be back. Feels like the end of an era.
- Quiet ElegancejagzVIPDined on 11/9/2014Lalime's continues to have a quiet elegance about it. It is a pleasure to be seated in this visually and aurally pleasing space and to know one will be well taken care of. The waitstaff is helpful but discreet. The menu is neither long nor complicated. Best of all, the dishes are superbly composed - interesting and tasty. Thanks!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 11/8/2014We dine at Lalime's at least 2/3 times a year, which is considerable given all the options around us.. We always find the food tasty, staff engaging, but we find the menu limited. On Saturday night, we ordered 2 lamb ragu/pastas, one lamb chops, and one skate. The green salad option was kale and there was not another fish, other than skate on the menu. We don't know if there are trying to steer away from ordinary choices, but some sort of non-farmed salmon is always a hit, and it was missing. Anyhow, we will probably go back, because it IS very convenient and a nice mellow atmosphere, but we would absolutely prefer more entree options.Special Features:
- Small Portions, High PricesECFoodieDined on 11/8/2014I have come here over the years and seem to always walk away feeling the same, it's nice, but overpriced for what it is. The portions are minuscule for the price. We ordered the skate, my first impression was that it was small and then we discovered that half of it was large bones, I found that really obnoxious and rather unpleasant to eat. $9 for nothing special desserts is really high.
- I love LalimesJuliaGVIPDined on 11/7/2014It's the way restaurants used to be. Delicious food, great service and wonderful ambiance. I always forget how much I love it, and then I go back and remember. It could be my new regular go to place. The food really is delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- jackie elshireOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/6/2014I've been to lalimes numerous times. Last meal there was not the best. It'll be awhile before I return.Special Features:
- We would not go backHALSDined on 11/1/2014We received the cocktails 15 minutes after we ordered them. We told the server that both my wife and I are not able to eat dairy products. My wife ordered lamb ragout. It came with cheese, and my wife sent it back and ordered fish. Her fish showed up 15 minutes after we were served our meal and pretty much completed it. My wife refused the fish as she and the rest of us were so unhappy. While we were waiting for her meal, no one check to see if the rest of us were ok. I spoke to the owner about this, and she said there were a lot of tickets to take care of. I said when a meal is returned and must be replaced, it must be put at the top of the list. She apologized and did not charge us for the meal. We will not go back.
- Good food, uneven service, crampedOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/31/2014The summary says it all -- the food was good, the service was uneven, and the table were far too dense.Special Features:
- Stellar food; outstanding serviceContessaDined on 10/31/2014We shared the squash soup, beet salad, kale salad, New York strip, and chocolate bread pudding. Everything was cooked to perfection and served beautifully. It made for a truly lovely evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lalimes dinner.B1foodfindsDined on 10/31/2014The staff remembered our favorite window table, and saved it for us. We tried something we hadn't had before, a "Bucket-of-chicken dinner," each of us. The novel idea worked well for an "in restaurant" fun dinner. Their wine list included a Spanish white that went well with the chicken. Our server was quite knowledgeable about the meal preparation and the house wine list. Combined with "no kids" and "no loud music", we had a very nice dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 10/30/2014Wonderful time as always...we have been to Lalime's many many times and will be back many many times.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/19/2014excellent cocktails and the 5 of us got to sit in the small room - good the hearing impaired one of usSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still invitinglcsoakDined on 10/19/2014I visited for my birthday. Just me and husband. We were welcomed and our request through Open Table was honored. Very attentive staff, great food. Great wine. Loved it. Romantic. Will recommend to friends.Special Features:
- Always a PleasureOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/18/2014We live just blocks away, but we rarely go out to dinner, and so Lalime's remains for us a special "destination." On the afternoon of the night we recently dined there, Cal's football team had had a home game. As a result, the place was packed, but service was welcoming and congenial, and the food was wonderful. We're encouraged that Lalime's can continue to deliver.Special Features:
- One of the best in BerkeleyveglocavoreDined on 10/16/2014Lalime's is hidden away in a quiet North Berkeley neighborhood, but it is one of the best restaurants in Berkeley and the SF Bay Area. The restaurant has a vibrant atmosphere, innovative cuisine, and an amazing selection of specialty cocktails and wines. They always treat us very well there. Sometimes when they are busy they might be a little slow, but it is well worth it. We recently went there for a special occasion and enjoyed the fall menu. The menu always focuses on seasonal ingredients. For a starter we had an outstanding Kabocha soup with toasted pepitas. We also loved our entrees and a dessert of panna cotta with pomegranate. Highly recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- not as great as expectedAlbanyFoo2ieDined on 10/16/2014Some of our entrees were good, it was very disappointing that our one diner who was just looking for a good hamburger couldn't even get that. Over cooked, dry, small, unappealing. One would hope that when going to a nicer place and paying $16 for a burger it would be fantastic. Very disappointing. Service was friendly but forgetful of our table so drinks sat empty for a while, but it was a busy night and that happens. The atmosphere was lovely, the little bar and bartender were charming, a lovely spot. Just a disappointing evening with regard to some of the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentBerkeleyloyalDined on 10/11/2014Great food an service. Been going here for 20+ yearsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- one of our favoritesFranVIPDined on 10/4/2014We dine at Lalime's often. The food is well prepared. The menu reflects the seasons and the service is very good. The servers know the menu as well as the wine list.Special Features:
- A little disappointing...Local30VIPDined on 10/2/2014I'm a big fan of this place but my food was very underwhelming this visit. My dining companions were happier with their entrees however. The tomato salad was soggy and lacking taste and my lamb t-bone was half fat and difficult to enjoy without picking it up with your fingers (which I couldn't do in public).Special Features:
- Not what used to be.FredDined on 10/1/2014The food has gone downhill from a few years ago. The service was slow, considering the restaurant was half full. Of two dinners one was ok. Salad dressing bland. Weak ice tea. Tasteless fish entree, generally disappointing.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/27/2014absolutely excellent in all respects. occasionally superb. always welcoming. this time we were particularly appreciative that on a saturday night they were totally chill when traffic really messed up our party.Special Features:
- Consistent excellenceRiverDined on 9/21/2014Imaginative seasonal dishes that allow for the essential flavor of each quality element to come forward. Always a treat for diners of varying inclinations. Great service, good wine list, full bar, private room for larger groups. Could easily be $50 per person.Special Features:
- Delicious, well-cooked, earthy fareHealthfulWithHubbyDined on 9/21/2014Host graciously slipped us in, earlier than our recently-made reservation. Hubby enjoyed wines, and service was attentive to limited water fills (drought). Totally solid, herbed appetizer seasonings. Chicken was perfectly succulent, lamb a tad too rare. Veggies were nicely complimentary, and it would have been great if they were increased in volume. Loved the squashy yellow watermelon sorbet, if not the bitter coffee, myself.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YumAndrewDemcakDined on 9/20/2014Lalimes is a marvelous gem of restaurant feauturing great food and a vibrant atmosphere.Special Features:
- Nice restaurant, ok foodRogerDined on 9/19/2014I used to eat often at Lalime's. returned recently to find the same lovely space, but much noisier than I had remembered. Found some interesting choices on the menu, all a bit pricy IMHO. Portions were a bit small for the price. Service was very good. Desserts to sweet. Overall merely satisfactory.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 9/11/2014reliably excellent on all fronts. no epihphanies, but a fun satisfying place for dinner with friends.Special Features:
- Lovely Lalime'sAugsburgfoodieDined on 9/7/2014We made a reservation at the last minute for a family dinner and were surprised and delighted by how imaginative and beautifully prepared the food was. We had a cauliflower salad (sounds unpromising, but the preparation with tahini and mint was terrific), squid ink fettuccine with a very well-balanced saffron and lobster sauce, perfectly grilled calamari with excellent accompanying herbs and tiny peeled tomatoes, plus an exemplary burger and fries for the young 'un. It is a quiet place, verging on the sedate, with a bit of jazz playing in the background the evening we were there. The have a small but interesting list of wine and beer. We found that the prices were justified by the quality. The service was expert and friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- foodyforfivedecadesVIPDined on 9/6/2014My current bay area favorite!.. it even surprised my vegetarian friend in how delicious and beautiful were the salads, soup and tagine...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The place for special peopleBerkhomeboyDined on 9/5/2014I'm a long time Berkeley resident who matches Lalimes with special people - folks from out of town, a romantic moment, and this time to see friends who hinted that they had big news (and they did). If I lived in the neighborhood, I'd be a regular at the bar. The drinks are good, the wine list works, and the meals rarely disappoint.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointinglike2eatDined on 9/5/2014Food was fair at best. Was expecting a lot better so was disappointed. The soup was only warm and missed for this. Heirloom tomatoes had been stored in the the chiller - a flavor no-no from the beginning. The kabobs were tough. Couldn't tell the lamb from the beef and sauces were overwhelming. With so many other great restaurants in the area to choose from, why go back?Special Features:
- It's usually greatBenTheretooDined on 8/31/2014I've been many times but not for a while now. My Halibat was quite overdone and portions were small. They must be use to cooking a larger piece. My 15 year old daughter had the fillet of beef and was hungry afterwards. There's too much competion in the area to let people leave hungry. We all had appetizers and dessert too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another wonderful meal!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/30/2014We go to Lalime's for special occasions and once again the evening was perfect! We had a lovely meal and lovely service. I would recommend Lalime's to anyone who wants outstanding food in a quiet neighborhood setting.Special Features:
- Anniversary dinner was great.larwalkDined on 8/28/2014A tradition in my family anniversaries at Lalime's.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good late-night findLDSPVIPDined on 8/27/20148:30pm reservation resulted in a quieter restaurant, and we were seated on the balcony, overlooking the main dinging area (in what used to be a loud bar, but now is cozy). Very fresh, local ingredients. Frees street parking - a local gem!Special Features:
- I would passOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/24/2014The service here is awful. It seems that they have rotating people at every table and no one person is responsible for service. The food was mediocre at best and the wine was worse. Dessert was good though.
- Hidden GemGermanchocDined on 8/22/2014One of the best calamari dishes we have ever had. The lamb was out of this world! Food came out relatively quick. None of my friends knew about this place but they do now.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A GemDoctorLDDined on 8/21/2014Lalime's never fails to please. The menu is creative, without ever sacrificing excellent flavors and bright, fresh food. The staff are attentive, and the bar serves stellar renditions of old favorites and interesting new options.Special Features: