11401 Bellflower Road
Cleveland, OH 44106Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.albatrosbrasserie.com/
- Phone: 2167917880
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:30am - 4:30pm
Dinner: Monday - Wednesday: 4:30pm - 11:00pm, Thursday - Saturday: 4:30pm - 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French
- Executive Chef: Zack Bruell
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Entertainment: In the spring & summer months our outdoor patio will feature local entertainers & musicians. Check our website for updates.
- Cross Street: Ford Drive
- Public Transit: The RTA Health Line bus stops in University Circle at E. 115th Street. L'Albatros is located approximately 3 blocks from the bus stop.
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: Metered parking is available at lot directly in front of L'Albatros. Street parking is also available.
A word from L'Albatros
L'Albatros is a chic brasserie, amid the setting of a rustic 1800's carriage house, located in the heart of University Circle. Chef Zack Bruell brings a refreshing twist to classic French cuisine such as Hanger Steak & Frites with Bearnaise Sauce, Bouillabaise, & Duck Confit. The menu also offers wood-fired pizzas with over 25 beer selections for pairings fit for any food connoisseur. L’Albatros offers a seasonal cheese board, & wine list featuring over 100 bottles to enhance your dining experience.Continued
We are just minutes from Severance Hall, Little Italy, & the Cleveland Art Museum.
We are just minutes from Severance Hall, Little Italy, & the Cleveland Art Museum.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
L'Albatros - Best Restaurants in University Circle ›
L'Albatros reviews from OpenTable diners
411 reviews since June 4, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (292)great for outdoor dining (275)special occasion (260)neighborhood gem (219)romantic (212)notable wine list (142)hot spot (98)great for lunch (90)good for groups (63)late-night find (47)scenic view (30)great for brunch (29)vibrant bar scene (29)kid-friendly (13)Show More
- Amazing!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/29/2014L'Albatros was absolutely amazing! All the food and ingredients are so fresh and the service is wonderful. If you go (which you should) you must try the cheese platter.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always funJessicaRabbitEsqDined on 9/27/2014We only have the chance to dine here about 2x a year, but it is always good. This time we came after seeing John Waters at the Cinematheque as part of our birthdays & anniversary celebration. It was a late arrival, but service was still impeccable. The venison special was delicious. My beef bourguignon was a little salty, but still very enjoyable. I do not recall the waiter's name but he and the server's assistant were attentive and kind. (We were 10:30pm Saturday 9/27).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great as usualCheweyDined on 9/27/2014Thank you for a great meal and fantastic service. This restaurant always the best choice for special occassion and fine dining. The wine list is reasonable, the food is excellent, and service is top-notch. Best lamb stew available. A gem for Cleveland. Keep up the good work, Zack.Special Features:
- Once again!Ray1Dined on 9/27/2014It was my second time at L'Albatros and it did not disappoint me. The ambiance, service and food were perfect for the occasion. I definately will be back!Special Features:
- OutstandingBailey14Dined on 9/27/2014Great variety of food. All prepared excellently. Good flavor and beautiful presentation. Would definitely recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great as usual. Outdoors perfect.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/27/2014Food, service weather - everything wonderful. Cannot wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth the Drivevisitor2clevelandDined on 9/27/2014After extensive research to pick a great restaurant for our pre-show dinner, we chose L'Albatros. It was wonderful. I had a cod dish prepared exquisitely with sauerkraut and spatzel. My husband had the walleye. Our water glasses were never low. The bread and oil were a nice touch to savor, while we waited for dinner and enjoyed our drinks. The waitstaff was attentive without being obtrusive or annoying. Portion size was perfect. I would definitely recommend this establishment. It was a $20 taxi ride from our downtown hotel, and another $20 ride to the theater, but well worth the extra expense, for a nice evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It's An ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/26/2014L'Albatros is an experience and everyone should have the opportunity to dine here. They have an awesome waite staff and management team and, the food is excellent. It feels classy and sophisticated without trying too hard. Every time I dine here and no matter how many people are present, I always feel like I am at my own private dinner party.Special Features:
- A gemOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/25/2014Got to L'Altatros from the NYT 36 Hours in Cleveland. Gorgeous outdoor setting, fenced in large patio area. Service was prompt, and the "bread server/detail person, was particularly attentive and took care of stray needs as they arose. My husband ordered veal that was "a little salty," and a radish and cucumber salad that was a bit short on cucumbers. My soup of the day, a squash soup, was on the bland side, the entree, a vegetarian cassoulet, was tremendous! If I return to Cleveland, I'd definitely give the setting another try. Fun to drive from downtown through the CSU and Case Western neighborhoods to the restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 9/25/2014Dinner for two on an open-air patio. Weather was delightful, added to the experience. Delightful old residence re-purposed to a restaurant on a residential sidestreet in Cleveland. Reservation honored. Staff welcoming. Food properly prepared and served. Waitstaff properly attentive. Interesting and wide-ranging wine list. Entrees were risotto and piselli, and fluke. Both dishes were relished. When in Cleveland, Ohio add this location to your list.
- FantasticHeidiDined on 9/25/2014Food was fabulous. Service was exquisite. Ambiance lovely. The salmon was the best.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- StrangeOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/23/2014I love lalabatros but our server was overbearing and it made it uncomfortable at times. The food was delicious and I love the décor.I would recommend this to a friend.
- VekeDined on 9/22/2014Loved the food, great ambiance, friendly staff. A nice place to take our out-of-town guests who were staying at the Inter-Continental Hotel.Special Features:
- lyleDined on 9/22/2014All attendants from the phone receptionist, the parking attendant, the servers, the maitre d' and busboys were very efficient and friendly. It was a very comfortable evening.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 9/19/2014Food was very good. Did not have to be told by pretentious server that salmon is best when cooked somewhat rare-- assume your customers know what they are doing if they don't ask for help!Special Features:
- A highlight of my Cleveland stayjeutopiqueDined on 9/18/2014A friend recommended l'Albatros. It was a pleasure to eat there. The oysters were wonderful as was the bouillabaisse (and I lived in France for 36 years), and the wines list is great--not very expensive for the quality. There is a nice range of prices to meet different budgets. Wait staff hit the right balance between presence and discretion, and their recommendations were perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceBlackhammerDined on 9/18/2014The food was impeccable. The service was really good. My server was very knowledgable of the menu and though I didn't get what he recommended, I'll be back to try what he did. Awesome timeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- L'Albatros is a Cleveland gemLiberteDined on 9/18/2014Lunch at L'Albatros is always a celebration. I have been there numerous times with small groups, and the food is exquisite, the service efficient, and the staff friendly. We once had a tour of the herb garden with the chef.Special Features:
- Fabulous ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/16/2014We found this restaurant through Trip Advisor for same-day reservations. It was everything we expected and more. The ambience was romantic, although it does seem a bit trendy as well. Unfortunately, we were seated next to a loud, clearly inebriated table but that only lasted for a half-hour before they departed. The waiter was a bit full of himself but knew his stuff and was attentive. Had the roasted artichoke with a lemon aioli to start. Did the pasta of the day which was delicious. The wine list is comprehensive and had good choices for glass only. Overall, it was a divine experience and I'm glad we found it. If we ever return to the Cleveland area, we will seek it out again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food hard to beat but priceyDisappointedDined on 9/16/2014I had perch and the preparation was fabulous! I can't even tell you all the ingredients. All fresh and healthy feeling. I think the noodles were homemade. The fresh featured garden salad was to die for. I didn't know salads could be so crunch and tasty! Just fabulous! Cool environment/location. Service was solid but not overly friendly/accommodating. Chairs were not comfortable. I don't know why this review assigned my nickname as disappointed. I was not disappointed. (Did I give myself that name somehow?)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reliably Deliciouscynla19Dined on 9/14/2014When an out-of-town friend told me he'd treat me to dinner, and asked me to suggest someplace, possibly in a scenic area, I gave him three suggestions. He was staying on the east side, and hadn't seen much of Cleveland so I suggested L'Abatros so I could show him around University Circle - and because I love it. The other two choices were near the CVNP. We went all out - shared bottle of wine, appetizer, and dessert; while we each had a salad and entree. He got something with mushroom risotto which he said was a wonderful as he'd hoped. I got cassoulet that was probably the best I'd ever had. He even liked the chicken liver pate in the charcuterie - and he doesn't like liver. He noted that it was just like France - no one was rushing us.Special Features:
- BrachaepsDined on 9/13/2014Very nice dining experience. Delicious food, nice ambience, good service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My Favorite in ClevelandReviewer123Dined on 9/13/2014We have been to this restaurant too many times to count. It still never disappoints. I like everything about it! Consistently delivers a great meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place!PauloDined on 9/12/2014Nice place, great food and excellent service... I recommend.Special Features:
- One of the bestjzollerDined on 9/12/2014I always regret a visit to Cleveland when we have NOT dined at L'Albatros. The food is consistently excellent. Service is superior. Prices are excellent. I cannot think of a single negative unless you are looking for a quiet romantic dinner. This restaurant (and Mr. Bruell) have certainly put Cleveland on the Culinary map. This restaurant is a must for people visiting Cleveland.Special Features:
- Anniversary rescuedipettasDined on 9/8/20143 years ago we got married at Jekyll's Kitchen in Chagrin Falls. We go back there each year for our anniversary dinner, but last year after our 2nd anniversary, it burned down. We were searching for a place to go this year to celebrate, and knew we wanted it to be a place that would "replicate" the feel we get when we go to Jekyll's Kitchen. The ambiance, the food, the service, etc. So we chose L'Albatros and got more than we could've imagined. They knew it was our anniversary, but didn't know the story about WHY we chose to dine there. They went above and beyond with candles on our desserts, exceptional service, many employees wishing us a Happy Anniversary and so much more. We felt so special on a day that means so much to us!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/8/2014my guest from Austin TX raved about the food and restaurant several time during his stay in Cleveland - he would love to return for another meal!Special Features:
- MemorableOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/7/2014Our party of four sampled a broad range of selections off the menu, appetizers, entrees, deserts and wine. Our service was spectacular and every dish was better than the last. Vegan friendly too (we had one vegan in our party). All in all we dined for over 2 hours and everyone in our party said it was one of the best meals they ever had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FavoriteCocoZDined on 9/7/2014L'Albatros has become one of my favorite restaurants. Every detail is met- service, food and ambience- the trifecta of dining experience.Special Features:
- Great experienceAnneDined on 9/6/2014We arrived a half hour early, and they still endeavored to seat us, so we ended up being seated well in advance of our reservation time. The folks at the hostess desk were incredibly friendly and pleasant. Our waiter was excellent and did a great job helping us pick a wine. We were very pleased with our meals. We got rillettes, the onion soup, cassoulet, and beef bourguignon. Each item spectacular. I will definitely return here, probably with great frequency.
- Good as usual, but...KenAVIPDined on 9/6/2014One of our favorite restaurants and always great food and service. My only complaint is about the practice of pricing the daily specials. I think that restaurants need to instruct their wait staff to communicate the pricing for daily specials, especially when they are priced significantly higher than the other menu entrees. We were victimized by this again, and maybe we should know better by now and ask. The regular menu entrees top out at $24. The fish of the day, their special, was priced at $32. Don't you think they should tell you that before you order it? Same for the daily special salad; at $14 it was 40 percent higher than any other salad on the menu.Special Features:
- Zach Bruell continues to deliverIllusionVIPDined on 9/5/2014While the menu is un-changing at this top French Cleveland Bistro week in week out - it is always a joy to visit in the summer when the kitchen uses both its own garden and the produce from local merchants to conjure up its succulent appetizers, salads and entrees. Pasta du Jour always surprises there as it did on a recent night when roma tomatoes were succulently mixed with chard immersed in the right balance of sauce that coated my pasta dish.Special Features:
- John and Karen from TulsaJKHarringtonDined on 9/4/2014The food was divine! We'll go back whenever we can. We love it.Special Features:
- averageDinoDined on 8/30/2014Nice, but too busy to adequately prepare consistently high quality meals. Went here because Cleveland Magazine listed it ABOVE Chez Francois-Not even close. Though service was excellent, Bouef Borg was over cooked, tough to chew and way salty. Had another engagement, or would have sent it back. On reflection, the server tried to earn me away, but I thought that as a French restaurant, this would be their show piece. To me, this is yet another result of an ambitious chef who makes a name for himself and opens up too many restaurants and can't keep them all under control, and quality suffers. I'll go back(some day), but not soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent foodEZ2pleaseDined on 8/30/2014Inventive menu that any diner with the most picky tastes will find wonderful. A chance to eat foods not often available, like skate. Server very knowledgeable of selections. Although we had a reservation we had to wait 30 minutes for table . Unfortunately a very loud obnoxious group of 8, making loud crude comments, got sat next to us at 9pm so our server got distracted attending to them so we were left 30 minutes to get our credit card processed. Overall however this is an excellent restaurant and I would definitely come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BestLisaDined on 8/30/2014This by far was one of the best meals we've ever eaten. This was our first time there, and I have to say it did not disappoint. We had the cod dinner. Initially we felt strange about sauerkraut mixed with spatzeal and fish, but it was delicious! And the French toast appetizer was a delight. We also got a fantastic dessert and since it was our anniversary, they placed a candle in the dessert for us. It was nice that our anniversary was recognized. We cannot wait to return and try more dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- chowchowDined on 8/30/2014This last Saturday's visit had rather slow service based on my previous experiences. I have never experienced slow service before, but we went at 1:30 on a holiday weekend............perhaps the difference. One of my companions felt that the beets and tomato combination did not work, and that the special with salmon mouse was serviced with hard bread instead of toast points.Special Features:
- Just a great placesavtavDined on 8/29/2014We ate lunch outside on a glorious, sunny day, and it was a joy. The food and service were superb, the tables were well shaded with umbrellas, the sound was muted. We tried the duck confit, the mussels, and the sausages - all were perfect and very substantial for lunch. Their version of Arnold Palmer is unsweetened, a nice surprise. The bread just kept coming. Tables felt a bit closer together than they needed to be (there was quite a bit of open space adjacent to the crowded area). Parking is easy and plentiful in the lot in front of the restaurant, so you don't have to worry about your car on this bustling campus.Special Features:
- Can't get enough!CookingInClevelandDined on 8/28/2014From the meal to the service to that fabulous outdoor patio, (has to be the prettiest in Cleveland) it is always a treat. Took my niece who had never been and we ordered everything she had never tried before, pate', duck, cassoulet! The wine list was awesome, and our waiter was great - Chris is quiet and not intrusive, but very attentive - thank you for another wonderful evening Zac Bruell!Special Features:
- Great dining experienceGrtdiningexperienceDined on 8/28/2014My husband & I were in Cleveland for my husband's routine follow-up at the cardiac Center at the Cleveland Clinic. To celebrate great medical news, we had lunch at L'Albatros. We heard & read glowing reports of this place, and it lived up to it's reputation. The Lobster Bisque was superbly delicious, my Lobster dish was outstanding and my husband's Duck Confit was excellent. We would certainly go back & dine at this place when we come back from Buffalo, NY in 6 monthsSpecial Features: