11401 Bellflower Road
Cleveland, OH 44106Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.albatrosbrasserie.com/
- Phone: 2167917880
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:30am - 4:30pm
Dinner: Monday - Wednesday: 4:30pm - 11:00pm, Thursday - Saturday: 4:30pm - 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French
- Executive Chef: Zack Bruell
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Entertainment: In the spring & summer months our outdoor patio will feature local entertainers & musicians. Check our website for updates.
- Cross Street: Ford Drive
- Public Transit: The RTA Health Line bus stops in University Circle at E. 115th Street. L'Albatros is located approximately 3 blocks from the bus stop.
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: Metered parking is available at lot directly in front of L'Albatros. Street parking is also available.
A word from L'Albatros
L'Albatros is a chic brasserie, amid the setting of a rustic 1800's carriage house, located in the heart of University Circle. Chef Zack Bruell brings a refreshing twist to classic French cuisine such as Hanger Steak & Frites with Bearnaise Sauce, Bouillabaise, & Duck Confit. The menu also offers wood-fired pizzas with over 25 beer selections for pairings fit for any food connoisseur. L’Albatros offers a seasonal cheese board, & wine list featuring over 100 bottles to enhance your dining experience.Continued
We are just minutes from Severance Hall, Little Italy, & the Cleveland Art Museum.
We are just minutes from Severance Hall, Little Italy, & the Cleveland Art Museum.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
L'Albatros - Best Restaurants in University Circle ›
L'Albatros reviews from OpenTable diners
411 reviews since May 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (297)great for outdoor dining (284)special occasion (264)neighborhood gem (221)romantic (217)notable wine list (149)hot spot (102)great for lunch (86)good for groups (72)late-night find (51)scenic view (35)vibrant bar scene (33)great for brunch (32)kid-friendly (13)Show More
- A highlight of my Cleveland stayOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/18/2014A friend recommended l'Albatros. It was a pleasure to eat there. The oysters were wonderful as was the bouillabaisse (and I lived in France for 36 years), and the wines list is great--not very expensive for the quality. There is a nice range of prices to meet different budgets. Wait staff hit the right balance between presence and discretion, and their recommendations were perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food hard to beat but priceyDisappointedDined on 9/16/2014I had perch and the preparation was fabulous! I can't even tell you all the ingredients. All fresh and healthy feeling. I think the noodles were homemade. The fresh featured garden salad was to die for. I didn't know salads could be so crunch and tasty! Just fabulous! Cool environment/location. Service was solid but not overly friendly/accommodating. Chairs were not comfortable. I don't know why this review assigned my nickname as disappointed. I was not disappointed. (Did I give myself that name somehow?)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reliably Deliciouscynla19Dined on 9/14/2014When an out-of-town friend told me he'd treat me to dinner, and asked me to suggest someplace, possibly in a scenic area, I gave him three suggestions. He was staying on the east side, and hadn't seen much of Cleveland so I suggested L'Abatros so I could show him around University Circle - and because I love it. The other two choices were near the CVNP. We went all out - shared bottle of wine, appetizer, and dessert; while we each had a salad and entree. He got something with mushroom risotto which he said was a wonderful as he'd hoped. I got cassoulet that was probably the best I'd ever had. He even liked the chicken liver pate in the charcuterie - and he doesn't like liver. He noted that it was just like France - no one was rushing us.Special Features:
- BrachaepsDined on 9/13/2014Very nice dining experience. Delicious food, nice ambience, good service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My Favorite in ClevelandReviewer123Dined on 9/13/2014We have been to this restaurant too many times to count. It still never disappoints. I like everything about it! Consistently delivers a great meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place!PauloDined on 9/12/2014Nice place, great food and excellent service... I recommend.Special Features:
- One of the bestjzollerDined on 9/12/2014I always regret a visit to Cleveland when we have NOT dined at L'Albatros. The food is consistently excellent. Service is superior. Prices are excellent. I cannot think of a single negative unless you are looking for a quiet romantic dinner. This restaurant (and Mr. Bruell) have certainly put Cleveland on the Culinary map. This restaurant is a must for people visiting Cleveland.Special Features:
- Anniversary rescuedipettasDined on 9/8/20143 years ago we got married at Jekyll's Kitchen in Chagrin Falls. We go back there each year for our anniversary dinner, but last year after our 2nd anniversary, it burned down. We were searching for a place to go this year to celebrate, and knew we wanted it to be a place that would "replicate" the feel we get when we go to Jekyll's Kitchen. The ambiance, the food, the service, etc. So we chose L'Albatros and got more than we could've imagined. They knew it was our anniversary, but didn't know the story about WHY we chose to dine there. They went above and beyond with candles on our desserts, exceptional service, many employees wishing us a Happy Anniversary and so much more. We felt so special on a day that means so much to us!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/8/2014my guest from Austin TX raved about the food and restaurant several time during his stay in Cleveland - he would love to return for another meal!Special Features:
- MemorableOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/7/2014Our party of four sampled a broad range of selections off the menu, appetizers, entrees, deserts and wine. Our service was spectacular and every dish was better than the last. Vegan friendly too (we had one vegan in our party). All in all we dined for over 2 hours and everyone in our party said it was one of the best meals they ever had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FavoriteCocoZDined on 9/7/2014L'Albatros has become one of my favorite restaurants. Every detail is met- service, food and ambience- the trifecta of dining experience.Special Features:
- Great experienceAnneDined on 9/6/2014We arrived a half hour early, and they still endeavored to seat us, so we ended up being seated well in advance of our reservation time. The folks at the hostess desk were incredibly friendly and pleasant. Our waiter was excellent and did a great job helping us pick a wine. We were very pleased with our meals. We got rillettes, the onion soup, cassoulet, and beef bourguignon. Each item spectacular. I will definitely return here, probably with great frequency.
- Good as usual, but...KenAVIPDined on 9/6/2014One of our favorite restaurants and always great food and service. My only complaint is about the practice of pricing the daily specials. I think that restaurants need to instruct their wait staff to communicate the pricing for daily specials, especially when they are priced significantly higher than the other menu entrees. We were victimized by this again, and maybe we should know better by now and ask. The regular menu entrees top out at $24. The fish of the day, their special, was priced at $32. Don't you think they should tell you that before you order it? Same for the daily special salad; at $14 it was 40 percent higher than any other salad on the menu.Special Features:
- Zach Bruell continues to deliverIllusionVIPDined on 9/5/2014While the menu is un-changing at this top French Cleveland Bistro week in week out - it is always a joy to visit in the summer when the kitchen uses both its own garden and the produce from local merchants to conjure up its succulent appetizers, salads and entrees. Pasta du Jour always surprises there as it did on a recent night when roma tomatoes were succulently mixed with chard immersed in the right balance of sauce that coated my pasta dish.Special Features:
- John and Karen from TulsaJKHarringtonDined on 9/4/2014The food was divine! We'll go back whenever we can. We love it.Special Features:
- averageDinoDined on 8/30/2014Nice, but too busy to adequately prepare consistently high quality meals. Went here because Cleveland Magazine listed it ABOVE Chez Francois-Not even close. Though service was excellent, Bouef Borg was over cooked, tough to chew and way salty. Had another engagement, or would have sent it back. On reflection, the server tried to earn me away, but I thought that as a French restaurant, this would be their show piece. To me, this is yet another result of an ambitious chef who makes a name for himself and opens up too many restaurants and can't keep them all under control, and quality suffers. I'll go back(some day), but not soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent foodEZ2pleaseDined on 8/30/2014Inventive menu that any diner with the most picky tastes will find wonderful. A chance to eat foods not often available, like skate. Server very knowledgeable of selections. Although we had a reservation we had to wait 30 minutes for table . Unfortunately a very loud obnoxious group of 8, making loud crude comments, got sat next to us at 9pm so our server got distracted attending to them so we were left 30 minutes to get our credit card processed. Overall however this is an excellent restaurant and I would definitely come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BestLisaDined on 8/30/2014This by far was one of the best meals we've ever eaten. This was our first time there, and I have to say it did not disappoint. We had the cod dinner. Initially we felt strange about sauerkraut mixed with spatzeal and fish, but it was delicious! And the French toast appetizer was a delight. We also got a fantastic dessert and since it was our anniversary, they placed a candle in the dessert for us. It was nice that our anniversary was recognized. We cannot wait to return and try more dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- chowchowDined on 8/30/2014This last Saturday's visit had rather slow service based on my previous experiences. I have never experienced slow service before, but we went at 1:30 on a holiday weekend............perhaps the difference. One of my companions felt that the beets and tomato combination did not work, and that the special with salmon mouse was serviced with hard bread instead of toast points.Special Features:
- Just a great placesavtavDined on 8/29/2014We ate lunch outside on a glorious, sunny day, and it was a joy. The food and service were superb, the tables were well shaded with umbrellas, the sound was muted. We tried the duck confit, the mussels, and the sausages - all were perfect and very substantial for lunch. Their version of Arnold Palmer is unsweetened, a nice surprise. The bread just kept coming. Tables felt a bit closer together than they needed to be (there was quite a bit of open space adjacent to the crowded area). Parking is easy and plentiful in the lot in front of the restaurant, so you don't have to worry about your car on this bustling campus.Special Features:
- Can't get enough!CookingInClevelandDined on 8/28/2014From the meal to the service to that fabulous outdoor patio, (has to be the prettiest in Cleveland) it is always a treat. Took my niece who had never been and we ordered everything she had never tried before, pate', duck, cassoulet! The wine list was awesome, and our waiter was great - Chris is quiet and not intrusive, but very attentive - thank you for another wonderful evening Zac Bruell!Special Features:
- Great dining experienceGrtdiningexperienceDined on 8/28/2014My husband & I were in Cleveland for my husband's routine follow-up at the cardiac Center at the Cleveland Clinic. To celebrate great medical news, we had lunch at L'Albatros. We heard & read glowing reports of this place, and it lived up to it's reputation. The Lobster Bisque was superbly delicious, my Lobster dish was outstanding and my husband's Duck Confit was excellent. We would certainly go back & dine at this place when we come back from Buffalo, NY in 6 monthsSpecial Features:
- A Gem, butfoodguy22Dined on 8/28/2014This is justifiably rated as one of the best restaurants in Cleveland. The food was great, although my dish (sausage platter) a little less than I expected. The artichoke appetizer was sublime, and my wife's fish was excellent. The ambiance might be called "romantic" because the lights were turned low, but for us, it was difficult to read the menu. Also it was a little noisy. Most annoying was that the waitress, who was nice, overdid the "how as the food tasting?" bit. We were asked to "grade" every course. It was a little over the top. Nonetheless, I'd recommend this restaurant highly.Special Features:
- ExcellentBrendanDined on 8/27/2014Great service. Excellent food. Will definitely be back. Thank you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PerfectionClevelandDined on 8/25/2014As always an absolutely exquisite experience. Thank you!Special Features:
- Superb!BioknightXDined on 8/25/2014Excelent food, wonderful atmosphere, and very nice service. Highly recommended!Special Features:
- Great StaffLuvfrenchDined on 8/25/2014The staff was very prompt and my water never was empty and they kept me stocked on bread. Very good food would definitely go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/24/2014Was impressed with our waiter. His knowledge of the menu and wine list was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nicest outdoor dining in ClevelandtopeyedocVIPDined on 8/24/2014I have been to L'Albatros many times. The food is fantastic, the bar is capable and the service is competent. Dining on the patio in August is a delightSpecial Features:
- Nice leisure dining.MingCourtluversVIPDined on 8/24/2014Visiting from oot, so we visited this French restaurant, as per Trip Advisors reviews. Our server was wonderful, as were all the wait staff....minus, John, who served and explained the cheese board selections. Seemingly perturbed and un-engaging, too bad tips there are shared, as he shouldn't earn ours! The food selections were varied. The bread, water and drinks were kept filled and re-freshed, pleasantly, I might add! Entrees we ordered were the Veal and the Chicken Confit, both were good, albeit the Veal pieces, which were a bit tough. Desserts were very tasty, being the Dark Chocolate Tart and the Chocolate, Brownie and Ice-Cream. No food was wasted, as we gave the left-overs to some of Ohio's homeless.Special Features:
- eatwelleatofteneatwelleatoftenDined on 8/23/2014When we were seated the noise level was loud. We asked to be moved and they gave us a private room. What more could we ask for!!! They were attentive and the food was wonderful.Special Features:
- Outstanding!letseatoutDined on 8/23/2014We have gone to L'Albatros often as a couple, family and large group of friends and it never fails to be a great time. The food is wonderful, service above and beyond great and the atmosphere is so enjoyable. If you haven't been to L'Albatros you must make a point to get there!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FrenchyDined on 8/22/2014The appetizers were very good the entrées were bland and mediocre at best had to return one entrée for another The replacement was not much better. The service was good the desserts were good it seems to be a restaurant where people go to be seen rather than to have excellent food
- Always goodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/22/2014I love L'Albatros in the summer on their patio. Along with the food and good service it's a really nice evening.Special Features:
- excellent customer serviceretiredVIPDined on 8/22/2014wasn't impressed with the food but the service was extraordinary.Special Features:
- What a ShamekeepitsimpleDined on 8/22/2014First and foremost, the food was over-the-top fabulous. From the Walleye special to the veal short ribs and even the vegetable cassoulet, the flavors were utterly perfect. The discordant note was our service, or more to the point, our server. From her hands-on-the-hips greeting of our group, through quips as answers, completed with forgetting to follow up on requests, it was a real disappointment. Service really makes or breaks an evening, and this is such a shame. The food is so good, but we will not return. Final note: what's with the hard plastic, molded chairs? For a high end restaurant, the seating was odd (and uncomfortable).Special Features:
- Reservations mean nothing!Foodlover81Dined on 8/21/2014This is the 3rd time that my husband and I have taken another couple to L'Albatros. Each time we made reservations and each time we were made to wait for almost an hour! What is the point of reservations if you can't even find bliss to keeping them? I and I disappointed-we have always loved thus restaurant but this has left a bad taste in our mouths and was certainly not a good experience for our guests.Special Features:
- Get cheeseboardTerriDined on 8/20/2014This was our first time here....wonderful!!! Service great. Our server made recommendations and the staff was very attentive. Food was excellent. Make sure you get the cheese board with all the different choices, presented tableside. Afterwards, take a short stroll through the CWRU campus.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicieux!JulieDined on 8/20/2014We love l'Albatros and come every single time we are visiting from Paris. It is a perfect place for lunch or dinner, before or after a visit to the Cleveland Art Museum. The food is always wonderful and the service very attentive. C'est formidable!Special Features:
- Special occasionMarkBDined on 8/18/2014I thought L'Albatros was perfect for my daughter's birthday dinner. It is a good value for a very nice restaurant. The service was superb and the food was creative and delicious.Special Features: