97 Mount Vernon Street
Boston, MA 02108Neighborhood:
PersianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://lalarokh.com/
- Phone: 6177205511
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 12:00pm - 3:00pm; Dinner Daily: 5:30pm - 10:00pm.
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Persian
- Executive Chef: Azita Bina-Seibel
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: We have 3 private rooms; Qajar Dynasty Room for 16 to 28 people, Textile and Tapestry Room for 30 to 44 people and Persian Topography room for 50 to 66 people. Special menu design and audiovisual equipment available.
- Private Party Contact: Julie Thomas 6177205511
- Cross Street: Charles Street
- Public Transit: Red Line to Massachusetts General Hospital/Charles Street
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: Valet parking available Thursday, Friday & Saturdays at 65 Charles, corner of Mt. Vernon & Charles Streets. Public parking two blocks away at the Boston Common Garage. Charles Street metered parking.
A word from Lala Rokh
Lala Rokh, established in 1995, is located in the heart of the historic Beacon Hill, and is the namesake of Thomas Moore's 1817 romance novel. We feature Persian cuisine lovingly prepared and garnished with fragrant herbs and spices that we import directly. The recipes have been handed down from generation to generation to us from our mother who still tastes everything for quality. The restaurant is decorated with our family's one of a kind museum quality artwork. Our staff will do everything in their power to welcome you as we would to our home and provide impeccable service. Our specialty cocktails and wines have been created and picked specifically matched to our cuisine. Winner of numerous national and local awards by Gourmet, Zagat and Boston Magazine.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Lala Rokh reviews from OpenTable diners
46 reviews since July 3, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelQuiet
neighborhood gem (29)fit for foodies (25)romantic (19)special occasion (17)good for groups (8)notable wine list (5)kid-friendly (1)great for lunch (1)Show More
- An Overlooked GemGramps09VIPDined on 10/22/2014We couldn't remember the last time we ate there but we'll definitely return more frequently in the future. A menu of great variety, well-prepared dishes, attentive service, and a warm ambiance add up to a memorable evening with friends.Special Features:
- I'll be back for sureMPG1VIPDined on 10/15/2014Food was terrific. Well prepared, healthy, and interesting. Service was top notch. I forgot my credit card and they used Open Table to get my cell number and call me to come back for it! Great perk of being a member of this site!Special Features:
- Ali AAliashDined on 10/8/2014Overall a nice place! Would suggest it as a quite place to slow down and enjoy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Needs a boostTheExperienceVIPDined on 10/7/2014The Experience was fair, at best. The restaurant needs a new shot of energy. The location on Beacon Hill is terrific but the space needs a facelift to bring a new sense of vibrancy. The food was good but not great. It would be nice to see the menu push our boundaries with flavor profiles and unique Persian dishes. The lamb kebab was boring with not much taste while some other dishes were really good . The restaurant needs to bring back some vibrancy for everything from the wine list to the graphic design of the restaurant and even the menus.
- Excellent eveningbos73Dined on 10/4/2014As usual, Lala Rokh provided a great meal and excellent service. From appetizers to dessert it was all delicious. Our waiter gave us excellent service without being intrusive. He was also very friendly, polite and full of good suggestions. We eat here a few times a year and have since it opened, never disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SuperlativemacGoogleDined on 9/19/2014This restaurant has it all; superlative food, ambiance, and terrific service. Of course, it is expensive as well. Expect to pay over one hundred dollars for a meal with wine. Nonetheless, it is worth it.Special Features:
- I love Lala Rokh!!AReviewerNicknameDined on 9/4/2014I've been there many times, and it's always great! Whenever friends from out of town are visiting, I always suggest it. Food and service are always wonderful.Special Features:
- OutstandingtravellerDined on 8/27/2014I have been visiting Lala Rokh for nearly two decades. Each time I have the opportunity to dine at Lala Rokh the experience is nothing short of superb. Exceptional wine and spirits lists, remarkable food, and great staff. The hospitality is second to none.Special Features:
- Authentic PersianWhereRMyGlassesDined on 8/24/2014Enjoyed the duck with pomegranate and walnut sauce and braised lamb dishes. Chicken dish was ordinary but well prepared. Mezzes were delicious, especially those with eggplant. Service was attentive but not intrusive. Not inexpensive but not over-priced for the neighborhood and quality.Special Features:
- Excellent!LalalaDined on 8/23/2014Food was outstanding and flavorful. Great first experience with Persian food. Visited during restaurant week 2014. Bar area is small with three or four stools so clearly just a place to have a drink while waiting for your table. Waiter was snarky, which wasn't amusing although it appeared he thought so, but we overlooked this with respect to the fabulous meal. I recommend for a unique experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and atmosphereTierneyDined on 8/21/2014I went with my family during Boston Dine- out weeks. They have good services, and the food was really great. Since I am no expert in knowing if it is an authentic Persian food or not, so I won't comment on this aspect. We ordered from the Boston Dine-out menu, and I love every dishes they served us on that day.I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/20/2014We loved our dinner at Lala Rokh. The food was outstanding and the service impeccable. We were dining early so it was very quiet. As more people arrived it stayed quiet - but we weren't there in a full house. The three person per (with extra stools available) looked very cute. Would love to try that with a couple of friends. The Middle Eastern fare was really good and our waiter gave great suggestions. This was helpful since we know we love Middle Eastern food but do not know the names, what sauce works with which entrees, etc. We had an excellent meal and can't wait to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go somewhere elseOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/18/2014This restaurant was not worth it. The kabobs were dry, the portions incredibly small for the price, service was very slow. There are other places one can spend their money.Special Features:
- EhBerkerycVIPDined on 8/10/2014Wasn't that impressed. Neither service nor good was great. Not crazy expensive, but definitely not a deal either. Wouldn't go back.
- DisappointingReeseVIPDined on 8/1/2014The food was quite disappointing, aside from the appetizers. We ordered many different items, and we disappointed in most of them. We were particularly surprised since the Zagat rating was very good.
- Expected moreSluggosixtyfiveVIPDined on 7/22/2014Lala Rokh kind of disappointed me. I haven't been in years, and I remembered it being more exotic and interesting than it was. It looks a little downtrodden and in need of TLC physically as well as in the food department. I had mushrooms over polenta for an all, and it was nothing i couldn't have made better at home (i had it because my partner doesn't eat mushrooms.) My entree (lamb kebab / lamb kofta with grilled veggies and a dollop of grains (bulgar?) was well cooked, but unseasoned.This is not what i expect from "persian" cooking - this was at best the quality of a hole-in-the-wall greek deli.
- Wonderful findGypsymuffinsDined on 7/13/2014Staff and chef were so courteous and professional. Cared about the food and our experience and explained everything we wanted to know. Gave a surprise dessert for my boyfriends birthday without me asking. No complaintsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MSM2014Dined on 7/12/2014The ice cream is outstanding, the noise level to which I am very sensitive is quiet so can enjoy a conversations along with a very nice dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- not very good, smells funnys1234VIPDined on 7/12/2014food was mediocre. the place smells funny. food was mediocre. the place smells funny.
- The following 572 reviews are from the Lala Rokh reviews archive.
- Intimate dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/29/2014Met here for dinner with an old friend. Great place to catch up and talk as it's very cozy and quiet inside. The server was very friendly and helpful. It was a warm summer night and it would have been nice to have more windows/fans or AC on to cool things down a little inside. Salad was fresh and side dips were good. Portions were on the smaller side for the salad and sides. Sesame bread was good but a little stale.Special Features:
- Outstanding!sedona93Dined on 6/21/2014Loved the different variations and flavors. Beautifully served and the wait staff were impeccable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A delightful placesjgahhVIPDined on 6/21/2014Intimate setting on Beacon Hill. Lala Rokh is a wonderful introduction to Persian food. We all enjoyed the ambiance. Only critique, meat was somewhat overcooked and the polenta dish with mushrooms, the polenta was a bit dry. All in all, however, we would probably come back if we were in this neighborhood...it is quaint and worth a try.Special Features:
- Fabulous!MetrowestFoodieVIPDined on 6/12/2014Have eaten dinner here before - but not in awhile - and just brought a friend from LA for lunch. The food was outstanding (had a grilled salmon special with a feta/mint/yogurt sauce that was delicious!), service impeccable, and atmosphere cozy yet elegant. Highly recommended! I will plan to frequent it more often for both lunch and dinner, and introduce friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious Persian foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/8/2014Whenever we go to Boston, we make sure to have dinner at Lala Rokh.Love their savory seasonings, generous portions, and gracious and efficient service.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food & serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/7/2014I enjoyed Lala Rokh. The food was great and service top notch. The only downfall to this place is that it its very, very quiet. There is no music or anything to drown out the extreme silence of Lala Rokh. Forgot about having a private conversation here. You have to whisper if you want to talk to someone at your table since everything is 'cozy'. The tables are very close to each other so you hear everyone's conversation during dinner. Just to be clear, the food and service were great. I just think that this place would benefit from moving to someplace bigger or perhaps playing some light and mellow music.Special Features:
- Great find near Boston CommonSuburbanfoodieDined on 5/31/2014My first time at LaLa Rokh was a suprising delight. I met a friend from California and we enjoyed a leisurely two hour dinner with great tasting food and attentive service. I will be back!!Special Features:
- A Taste of PersiaswatermelonDined on 5/23/2014The food was delicious and authentic. The service was attentive and helpful. The management was responsive to our interest in the photographs throughout the restaurant and gave us a tour to see all of the rooms' different artwork. The drinks were tasty and fun, too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special evening, special placemtfspDined on 5/17/2014We had never been to Lala Rokh but wanted to celebrate our anniversary someplace where we would also enjoy strolling on a nice Spring evening. Lala Rokh is in a lovely setting so we did enjoy the stroll. But even better, we had a delicious meal with excellent service.Special Features:
- Worth ItGhanabaVIPDined on 5/16/2014Picked restaurant on a whim and wanted to try a different cuisine. It was worth it. We will be back. Note parking can be a bear, espacially if you miss the valet, like I did!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Been going here for years!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/3/2014Only get to Boston once or twice a year, but usual make a point to have dinner at Lala Rokh, and have been doing so for over 14 years. Atmosphere is lovely, within walking distance on Beacon Hill from the hotel we usually stay, food is wonderful, and the owners and staff are very friendly and professional. Have never been disappointed.Special Features:
- Persian foodalliehollyDined on 5/3/2014Waiters able to describe foods served so this westerner could understand. Good variety and great taste. A little disappointed in the side yogurt which was suggested to compliment he rice..it was mostly yogurt with no other distinct flavor. Was seated in a cozy back room as the front had 2 large parties. A little boring back there and good artwork, but not persianSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Most dishes were excellentRossoDined on 4/6/2014Most dishes were excellent as usual -- apps, adass. The special with beef and string beans was dull. Overlooked beans and beef in an uninspired tomato based sauce. Lack of valet parking in Beacon Hill on a Sunday is rough. Will no longer go without valet.Special Features:
- Very yummyWhittyDined on 3/29/2014I wanted a flavorful meal, I was looking on opentable for either an Indian or Middle Eastern restaurant and this popped up so I went for it. Located in adorable Beacon hill, the morgh chicken with shamoot yogurt was delicious. The owner was super nice as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food was just OK. I'mTanyaVIPDined on 3/29/2014The food was just OK. I'm originally from Azerbaijan and had much higher expectations. The service was terrible. The waiter was in such a rush and didn't show any interest in what he was doing. We couldn't even understand half of the specials he was telling us about but he wasn't interested in repeating any of them. Our appetizers were messed up. I wouldn't return to this place.
- We have been to Lala RokhJulieDined on 3/29/2014We have been to Lala Rokh several times and have always found the experience to be pleasant. However, when we dined a few days ago, I was disappointed by service and quality of food. Our server was polite, but we had a bad experience with another server who showed up at the end and yelled at us, never explaining himself. Very poor service.I would recommend this to a friend.
- A wonderful evening with friendsChristineDined on 3/28/2014We arrived a little early and were seated promptly. Our servers were great fun! We asked for advice as to what were his favorites and he gave us some great options. The appetizers were awesome and the dinner was fantastic.Special Features:
- Great spot in Beacon HillMurtiDined on 3/28/2014I have been wanting to go to Lala Rokh for a while and finally was able to. I was not disappointed by the cuisine, atmosphere and service. Truly a neighborhood gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not what it used to be!nancyVIPDined on 3/28/2014The food was totally uninteresting. We were looking forward to some unique and exciting seasoning and flavors to reflect the Persian cuisine. My daughter got the beef kabob. She wasn't asked how she wanted it done. It came well done. We could take some blame for not asserting the preferred doneness, but the meat was totally lacking in flavor. My husband got the schnitzel. Again, no flavoring/seasoning. I got the salmon special, again it was totally over cooked and tasteless. Where were the wonderful flavors of Persian cuisine? I would expect more from a pricey restaurant. Our waiter rarely retuned to refill our water glasses and failed to bring us the baklava that we ordered for after dinner. I would def not recommend it and won't be back.
- Great mini-reunionthleenDined on 3/27/2014I found Lala Rokh on Open Tables and it was the perfect place for a mini-reunion of 4 college friends and our spouses who hadn't been together for 20 years. The food, ambiance and service were all spectacular. We stayed for 3 and 1/2 hours. Would totally recommend this restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not even iranian/persianOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/24/2014Thanks for having us but the food was only named iranian but it didn't look or taste anything near and iranian Khorest or Kabab!you should perhaps work on having better quality meets and better recipes from iran!