5500 Crooks Rd
Troy, MI 48098Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.lakestroy.com/
- Phone: (248) 646-7900 ext. 1
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch (Starting Nov 10) Monday-Friday 11a-2p
Happy Hour: Monday-Friday 3p-7p
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00p - 10:00pm
Dinner: Friday & Saturday: 5:00p - 11:00p
Dinner: Sunday: 5:00p - 9:00p
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Mike D'Angelo
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Catering options available
- Private Party Contact: Restaurant x
- Entertainment: Piano Players and other jazz ensembles every weekend night.
A word from Lakes
Lakes is located in Troy, Michigan, adjacent to The MET Hotel. Guests enjoy dining in a casual, energetic dining room modeled after a coastal open air seafood house. Décor is casual & eclectic with comfortable, cozy seating in the dining room for 175 with an energetic Tavern & Raw Bar seating another 75 guests. The seafood is flown in from around the globe & the menu changes daily in accordance with availability. The wine program is designed to give everyone something they can feel comfortable with, both in terms of price & exciting selections, with a sprinkling of comfort labels. With a predominantly seafood menu, the emphasis is on interesting whites & food friendly reds such as pinot noir, with enough full bodied reds to keep the land lovers happy.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSeafood
Lakes - Best Restaurants in Troy ›
Lakes reviews from OpenTable diners
63 reviews since August 1, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (38)romantic (29)fit for foodies (20)good for groups (20)notable wine list (14)neighborhood gem (9)great for brunch (4)great for lunch (3)kid-friendly (3)late-night find (3)hot spot (2)scenic view (2)vibrant bar scene (2)Show More
- AnnieDined on 11/21/2014This was our second visit. Both times the wait service was outstanding, the management truly was interested in how we were doing. Love the relaxed low key atmosphere after a crazy work day. We will make this one of our top choices for dining.Special Features:
- Save patience and dine elsewhereEasyGoingDined on 11/1/2014Worst service I have ever experienced with multiple issues from beginning to end. To start waited 10 minutes for the valet who never showed so finally parked own car. Ended up being there for three hours. Continued to have issues with the wrong drinks, this was on top of empty glasses sitting for 15 minutes at a time, Assistant manager came to tell us they were out of West Coast oysters and in mid-sentence when I was talking to her she turned around and walked away. Multiple servers and people kept coming to the table each getting everything wrong. I finally excused myself and walked around the corner and asked for the manager. This was at hour 2 mark. The meals were not that great. Was ther 3+ hours. And was overcharged on bill.
- Great Live Band at Correct DecibelsBDS1Dined on 11/1/2014A live band played through the service at the perfect volume. Conversation was easy, and other tables were drowned out. Wife loved the ocean carpet. Service was great - attentive, not too slow, not too fast. Wife noted that the prices on the wine list ramped up very quickly. Ordered the Prosciutto Wrapped Swordfish - Awesome. Wife ordered Lobster & Scallop Risotto - she said okay, I thought very bland. With so many options, I am still not sure if it will stay in the rotation, but it was definitely better than the Novi Chophouse which was a favorite before they changed locations.Special Features:
- Perfect place for business lunchlizthearchitectVIPDined on 10/24/2014I'd much rather take my client here than my date. The place is beautiful, but the style of food and service does not match the ambiance. I'm sure it's a better place for lunch than for dinner.Special Features:
- Very disapointeddiscriminatingDined on 10/24/2014Our first disapointment was when we were told that the gluten-free bread/rolls were not available. Why? We didn't receive an acceptable answer. That is one of the main reasons were go there as I am a Celiac. We also had out-of-town friends as guests and they were unwhelmed with the food and the portions, in light that it is somwehat pricey. None of us felt satified or full after dinner. When we first went there (at their old location), we were served piping hot gluten-free bread and after every time we go there, it becomes a little less satisfactory. Although, we love the new location and the ambiance, we probably won't be going back. So sorry for the restaurant is in the old Charley's Crab restaurant which was my favorite.Special Features:
- Great seafood restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/18/2014excellent service good food and amazing atmosphere! Definitely exactly what Troy needed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- llabddoVIPDined on 10/18/2014not a great experience from the start. a hostess who didn't know where tables were, a bar area that was very understaffed, dishes and empty bread baskets that weren't cleared. for the prices they charge, much better choices are easy to find.
- IheartfoodIheartfoodDined on 10/18/2014I dined at Northern Lakes for Swetest Dayy boyfriend and I were very pleased with te service and fod. I would absolutely recommend this restaurant to others, especially those who love seafood the way we do!Special Features:
- October 17th 2014 date nightSantoriniDined on 10/17/2014Very nice place. Food is beautifully presented and seriously delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pricey and Not MemorableKnitterDined on 10/16/2014I got nervous when we arrived for our 6pm reservation on a Thursday night and there were THREE cars in the parking lot. When we were seated, there was only one other table with guests. When we left, there were 5 other tables. While our food was good, I had the Lobster Tail with Scallop and Risotto. It was a small lobster tail, one scallop, one small, diced asparagus spear, and about 1/2 cup of Risotto. While the flavor was good, the dish was very over-priced at $28. My husband had the beef short ribs. Much larger portion, but still over-priced. The pumpkin spice soup was excellent, as was the service given by Kaylee. I can't say that the dinner was memorable. There are much better restaurants in the area for the amount we spent.Special Features:
- Excellent Dining ExperienceEnjoyFineDiningDined on 10/11/2014The food was very good to excellent. The salmon steamed in banana leaves was flavorful and had an incredible texture; its presentation in a bento box was eye-catching. The cioppino was very good but could benefit from some additional flavor (maybe some garlic or more tomato-ey broth?). The service was impeccable with Kaylee at the helm. The live music was a wonderful addition to a great dining experience to celebrate our 10th wedding anniversary. The complimentary dessert was a very nice touch indeed.Special Features:
- vicvictorDined on 10/11/2014Menu wasn't what I thought it would be not many fish items to choose from.Special Features:
- Could have been betterPRguyDined on 10/10/2014Ambiance and service was great, and so was the calamari. But my entree, the risotto with scallop and lobster, was bland, bland, bland. And one small scallop?Special Features:
- ImprovementhikerrnDined on 10/4/2014Our second visit there since they relocated from Bloomfield Hills. Everything was better. Love the ambiance of casual eloquence. Food and service was up to par with their old location which is one of the reasons we enjoyed dining there. Will go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- miwan313VIPDined on 10/4/2014While our server was very friendly, the service was incredibly slow.
- Great ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/2/2014Our bartender's name was Chrity. She was attentative, informative and was an added plus to the experience for my husband and I.Special Features:
- Very disappointing will not returnRichardVIPDined on 9/30/2014This was our first (and last) time at this restaurant. We thought it would be like the the Northern Lakes it replaced..not even close. Food took forever to get to us and was cold. Short Ribs were fatty and Salmon had no taste. Manager came over and did not do anything for us on the bill.
- High ExpectationsCouldbebetterDined on 9/22/2014The Oysters were sparse and the Caesar Salads were from a bag of lettuce and the salad dressing was tasteless. The Scallop entrees were exceptional and would order them again. The Halibut was good and the Boulibase was fair. It was pricey and not worth the money overall.Special Features:
- NannyDined on 9/14/2014Lovely dining though a bit too dark for our likingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Northern Lakes Seafood Troy MIDetroitDinerDined on 9/6/2014I took my wife out for a very special dinner to celebrate our anniversary. Our food was not prepared adequately. My wife ordered Banana Leaf Salmon. Presentation was nice but, the Salmon was completely raw. I ordered Lobster, Scallops over Risotto. It was raw as well. The service was good. They made an effort to make it right but, the damage was done. Maybe, they had an off night. This is the old Charlie's Crab. If they want to be in the same league they have a long way to go. I would not recommend Northern Lakes Seafood to anybody at this time.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/6/2014Service was good- but not exceptional. Never told of any specials. Caesar salad was drenched in dressing.
- I miss the old menu and styleDlh48085Dined on 8/29/2014This was our 1st visit in the new location. We enjoyed the white fish spread, a similar but chunkier version of the Charlie's Crab whitefish pate and the calamari. No specials on the menu that night. We used to be able to order from a fresh-catch list and request its preparation, that is either not available or not promoted. We messaged in advance to request a table in a quiet space w/ our very elderly and hard of hearing parent. Despite that request, we did not learn of the steel drum player until he started setting up. He and his soundtrack drowned conversation. No changes have been made to the restaurant space from the previous owner. Everything in that category is perfect, except for lighting; it's still too dark to enjoy it.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food in an interesting settingrzspswVIPDined on 8/29/2014My husband and I recently dined at the Northern Lakes Seafood restaurant at their new location in Troy. We liked the new location far better. The place is an interesting mix of old seaman's charm and stained glass. The food was great. I loved my swordfish and my husband’s salmon prepared on a banana leaf was excellent. The portions were good sized - enough to take some home for lunch the next day. Our only disappointment was the dessert. We got the brownie sundae which was served in a tall sundae glass. It had 4 bite sized pieces of brownie atop a bed of vanilla ice cream with just a hint of hot fudge over the top. The brownies were dry, and the sundae needed more hot fudge! Rachel, our server was knowledgeable as well as personable.I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingMW57Dined on 8/21/2014We had a great experience here back in May and returned with friends for Troy restaurant week; unfortunately not as good this time - while the food was very good, have to agree with many of the other reviewers as to the service not being up to par - very slow and inattentive to details (brought wrong wine, pushed desserts that were no longer available, very long waits for return). We liked our waiter; it seemed more related to training and workload. Overall not the experience I would expect for the price. We love the setting and history and want to see it succeed - little things like sprucing up the entryway, a more welcoming greeting, and a more visible sign from Crooks to offset the light-traffic location would help.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- some kinksjomommaDined on 8/20/2014We were greeted instantly and directed to a table that fit our wants. Food was DELICIOUS, hot and ABUNDANT But why would we have to wait more than 20 minutes for an ice cream cookie dessert? It was a main feature, we tired of waiting and really wanted to leave without, but hubby's a ccokie and ice cream fanatic. Truly an unacceptable wait. - the wait truely spoiled what was a very nice evening. They had live entertainment that evening and that too was most pleasant and ear friendly. Decor is very dark and dated - everything shouts old school. Appreciated food and most of service, but updating is highly needed, even in the parking lot, and to bring the old fish from previous location, cute, but really didn't survive the trip well.Special Features:
- CelebrationOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/16/2014We celebrated my parents 62nd wedding anniversary at Northern Lakes Seafood Restaurant. The food was delicious, the service excellent and the ambiance was lovely. I would highly recommend this restaurant for any occasion.Special Features:
- Nice ExperienceToolongwaitVIPDined on 8/16/2014We dined on a very quiet Saturday evening (the Dream Cruise was going on). Our server, Casey, was attentive and helpful. Our entrees, pan-seared perch and salmon wellington, were both outstanding. Yes, Northern Lakes is pricey, but look around - there's usually some sort of deal to ease the pain. Our only complaint is that the menu does not have plain fish, as the old one did.
- Great food, not so great service.DavidDined on 8/15/2014Everything we ate was well prepared. No issues with kitchen. Service was decidedly slow for a place that was just not that busy. My drink did not arrive until after the appetizers. Server did not have good communication with kitchen. Server strongly recommended their special french fries but we were told when meals arrived that they did not have them...so we got regular fries. No chance to change to something else. Food not presented as requested, kitchen likely never told our wishes. Service staff socializing with a table of two girls loudly. As I said, the food was very good but they need to clean up their dining room service. Place has great atmosphere but a lack of professionalism on the part of everyone who came to the table.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just OkaytjjeVIPDined on 8/13/2014The service was very good, but the food just average. One meal was served with missing items. The portions are rather small. Not sure we will return.Special Features:
- Excellent seafoodFishermansFinestDined on 8/8/2014Very good seafood. Nice variety well prepared. Great ambiance Bartender was excellent as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very disappointingJAR0113Dined on 8/7/2014We were regulars at the former site of Northern Lakes. It appears that the idea of simply prepared, fresh (not frozen) fish was lost in the move. The site is historic and lovely. Will not be returning.
- Wonderful Anniversary DinnerMotownerDined on 8/5/2014My wife & I celebrated our anniversary with a dinner at Northern Lakes Seafood. We had been there several times in the past, at their old location on Woodward and the new spot in Troy. The flowers I ordered were waiting at our table, and everyone on the wait staff was attentive, quick and friendly. My cashew-encrusted walleye was delish, and my wife thoroughly enjoyed the lobster & scallop dish. Although I am not a wine expert, I can tell you they had a serious wine list - every kind imaginable. Overall, a wonderful experience!Special Features:
- The following 443 reviews are from the Lakes reviews archive.
- Just OKLynnVIPDined on 7/26/2014Was excited to try Northern Lakes in this new location. The atmosphere on a Saturday night was so-so. Nice piano player playing in the background but restaurant was half empty which was surprising. Service was OK. Portions extremely tiny. My 6oz. lobster was about 2 bites as well my husband's Lobster Risotto which had one scallop and tiny piece of lobster. Side vegetable mistakenly came after the meal and would have expected it to be removed from the bill but wasn't. Not worth the price.
- MichaelDined on 7/25/2014The chef is trying too hard to be creative. Perch do not need a creamy sauce and cashew crusted walleye is a good idea, but not when the result is dry. What is really missing is lobster, king crab and scallops. They said the lobster didn't come in, which is fine, but they need the others too. And the Caesar salad was odd. It was the heart of the romaine - 2 quarters and some dressing that didn't seem right. All of this is pretty basic. They just need to let the fish and lettuce be themselves. They don't need help.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/20/2014kind of quiet, not yet established in the area, needs a little updatingSpecial Features:
- Charley's Crab it isn't!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/15/2014First the wine list did not have any recognizable wines. It is nice that the sommelier wants us to try new things....but that should be our choice. The 2 bottles we got were ok, but I would have preferred something I already know I like. Second, crab cakes too small and bready, smoked white fish dip not great...need less cream more fish. My chilean sea bass tasted like cod and the red skin potatoes were swimming in a pool of butter...yuk! The walleye which is a very mild fish was overpowered by the tasty breading, and way too much breading on the small perch. Suggestion: People that enjoy seafood do not like it masked with heavy breading or overpowering flavors
- Northern Lakes Seafood ExperienceAlfredDined on 7/14/2014Personally, I would not recommend this restaurant. Location, location is a problem. Menu over-priced for what is served. Appeared to be a great place for the business consumer...Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/1/2014Enjoyed the lobster risotto and a nice glass of Chardonnay.Special Features:
- Not so greatluv2eatDined on 7/1/2014We have been here for dinner a couple times. The first time we went, the food was very good, so worth the expense. This time was a very different experience. The food was sub par. The seafood was not fresh so had a fishy taste and was not well seasoned. With all the great seafood places to choose from in our area, I would not go back to Northern Lakes again. It's really too expensive to give them another shot with all the other choices in the area.Special Features:
- New location, new Servers?GregDined on 6/28/2014First time for us in the new location. Had a very pleasant hostess and excellent food. Waitress was nice but inexperienced (wouldn't say incompetent, but close), especially for this type of restaurant. Always had top notch service in the previous location. New location carries over some of the heavy dark wood and older décor of Charley's Crab. We missed the lighter, more modern atmosphere of the Woodward Ave location.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.