101B Cooper St
Santa Cruz, CA 95060Neighborhood:
MediterraneanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.lailirestaurant.com/
- Phone: (831) 423-4545
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: 11:30 AM - 2:30 PM; Dinner: 5:00 PM - 9:00 PM, Friday and Saturday: 5:00 - 10:00 PM
Open Tuesday - Sunday
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Afghan, Mediterranean
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Counter Seating, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Let Laili host your next event. Our large space and beautiful garden patio are perfect for weddings, receptions, showers, graduation parties, birthdays, private cocktail parties, fundraisers and much more. We are happy to work with you to accomodate a variety of party styles and budgets.
- Private Party Contact: Michelle Naklowycz 8314234545x
- Special Events: Laili is a great location to host a variety of special events from small intimate weddings, and receptions to showers, birthdays and corporate events. We offer a charming garden patio which seats up to 50 guests and for a cocktail reception can accommodate 65. We also offer a spacious dining room with seating for 100 guests and cocktail reception for 120. If you wish to book the entire restaurant we can accommodate 150 guests seated or 185 guests for a cocktail reception.
A word from Laili
For centuries a five thousand mile trade route has joined the Mediterranean to China through Afghanistan and India. Known mostly for the Silk Trade, the Silk Road has acted as a conduit of ideas, cultures, music, food & spices throughout all of its regions. Laili aims to bring the age old flavors and traditions of the Silk Road to life by creating a positive and relaxing environment with a culturally rich and flavorful dining experience.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Laili - Best Restaurants in Santa Cruz ›
Laili reviews from OpenTable diners
200 reviews since July 28, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (141)great for outdoor dining (134)special occasion (106)romantic (88)neighborhood gem (85)great for lunch (63)good for groups (62)notable wine list (37)hot spot (24)late-night find (12)scenic view (10)great for brunch (10)kid-friendly (9)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- What a great evening!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/22/2014We don't get out a ton these days, as I have a gluten allergy and it's just not worth it, but this was a serious treat! Our reservation was ready when we got there (even though there was a wait for walk-ins), our server was delightful, and all of our food was amazing! They did a great job accommodating allergies, which is much appreciated, and also it didn't feel like a chore or inconvenience. We'd go back, again and again. Thanks for a wonderful meal and good time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food, atmosphere and service!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/21/2014Had a fun experience here with 9 guests for my birthday: excellent and accommodating service, delicious food, and friendly, prompt waitstaff Julia. They cut and served my birthday dessert that we'd brought in to the restaurant. Great place for a party!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lively Downtown RestaurantSouthbayBillDined on 11/14/2014Laili is a lively restaurant in downtown Santa Cruz with fresh, impeccably prepared Mediterranean cuisine. The portions are generous, the service is attentive, and the value is incredible. We paid less than $150 for two of us, for meal that would run over $200 in most other restaurants. The only down side is that the noise level is very high; and if you get a table near the waiting area (as we did), you will have hoards of waiting dinners hovering over your table. However, we would definitely consider going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AwesomeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/13/2014Food was outstanding. I had the lamb shank and it melted in my mouth. Our server was very helpful and quick to serve. We would have loved to be outside on the patio and will do that next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- chefbourgetDined on 11/13/2014They need to spice up their menu. It's been the same for a very long time. Everything was tasty, but I've been through the menu now and may not go back for a while as it's not as interesting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome food, service good up to a point in timeOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/11/2014I like this restaurant. They have great food, a good beverage list and really really good desert. If the weather plays along, please do sit on their outdoor patio. Even when it's cooler, they do have portable heaters. This is not necessarily a place to bring children to, at least younger ones, but for any other occasion it is a great place to celebrate or just hang out, whether with just one other person or a group. Just be aware, they do close pretty early (at 9:30 PM) and while you won't be thrown out when you stay longer, the staff will glare at you while they clean up and get the restaurant ready for the next day.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful meal, slow servicedv8seanDined on 11/8/2014A potentially delightful meal was dampened by remarkably slow service. Despite making reservations well in advance and arriving early, our party of five was seated late. Once seated, another 15-20 minutes passed before being offered anything other than water, with another 20 minutes crawling by before appetizers arrived. Combined with the seating delay, this meant no food until nearly an hour after scheduled seating time. The meal itself was delightful, but the slow service continued throughout the entire evening, making for a frustrating experience. We would consider dining here again but would only do so during off-peak hours.Special Features:
- WaltWaltDined on 11/6/2014We discovered this restaurant through the recommendation of my daughter's college roommate. The food was excellent, very unique, and interesting. Service was excellent just the right amount of attention and very courteous. Noise level was very low and the atmosphere was enjoyable. The wine selection was great and overall the restaurant is now one of our favorites.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/5/2014Service was abominable. I mean grossly inadequate. Our meals all came at different times, our server disappeared for 20 minutes at a time, we waited for a spoon for our soup until after the soup was cold, one meal came as they were clearing everyone elses plates... No apologies, no recognition that this wasnt how you serve food--- seemed like staff was stoned.... and could care less.
- Best in town?OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/1/2014Overall, this amy be the best restaurant in Santa Cruz. You can certainly recommend it to your friends - unless they are burger junkies!Special Features:
- WaiterFiletloverDined on 10/30/2014Had to wait a lot for everything. Not enough waiters.Special Features:
- Unique flavors with a diverse menuSantaCruzMamaDined on 10/28/2014This restaurant has fabulous food. The vegetables and sauces are outstanding. Yummy kabobs. Good wine. Inside is vibrant but noisy for conversation. Outside is peaceful and beautiful but small so availability is limited.Special Features:
- Resturant weekJb913Dined on 10/26/2014We went here with two friends for Resturant week. Had a reservation and got seated right away. 3 of us got the Caesar salad and the review from one person was ' not memorable' and 'wish it had anchovies'. I got the soup. wish I remembered the name, which was more like a chili. It was very filling and tasty, I would go back and just order this for a meal. For the entrees we tried the chicken kabobs which were tender and not dry. The roasted cauliflower was a hit and a complete meal with the chick peas. I did not try the pomegranate eggplant but it was well received. My son ordered the beef kabobs which were made from ground beef. These were dry and needed a lot of sauce. The trio of sauces that came with the chick kabob were a great additionSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/26/2014The food was terrific. The yogurt is fantastic! My friend and I sat on the patio with beautiful views. Great service.Special Features:
- New Found Gemangiejan19Dined on 10/26/2014We tried Laili's for dinner during the "restaurant week" specials and found it to be just charming. Great service, yummy food, outdoor dining was great. No street noise, yet open sky. Thank you Laili's for a great dinner !Special Features:
- Good food, good servicewagca55Dined on 10/25/2014We waited a bit long to be seated, even with confirmed reservation. After that, the service was very good and the food was tasty.Special Features:
- Lunchtime DelightSuesueDined on 10/25/2014Love this place as it's always very consistent. The food is tasty with a wide selection to choose from. Service is very good, attentive, friendly and efficient. Highly recommend for lunch or dinner.Special Features:
- DeliciousAvideaterDined on 10/24/2014Love the trout! Healthy Mediteranean food. Parking garage around the corner, short walk.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lots of gluten free options hereJuneDined on 10/23/2014I wrote on Facebook that the food was fit for royalty and the service was excellent, as always! I've enjoyed Laili every time I've been there, including on the Santa Cruz Food Tour. Loved that they included gluten free desserts for Restaurant Week, as well as other menu options. Flourless chocolate torte was fabulous!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect Dinner ExperienceYummyDined on 10/21/2014This was so much more then we expected. We dined in the garden, which was just lovely. Our waiter knew everything on the menu, and gave us the best recommendations. The roasted butternut squash appetizer was to die for. Never had anything like it before. My husband loved the sword fish, and I had the special salad of sliced fennel, strawberries, sprouts, feta, arugula and spinach. It we stay long enough on this visit, we will go back.Special Features:
- A Gem of a RestaurantThe2ofustogetherDined on 10/19/2014This is one of the best restaurant I have ever been to. We ate on the patio and it was a gorgeous setting. The food was delicious and the ambience was beyond compare. We are from MI. This meal was one of my favorites ever. Do not hesitate, go!Special Features:
- Dinner at LailiOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/2014Overall experience was lovely as always. This is our favorite Santa Cruz restaurant. Only complaint was the hostess. She was not very friendly or welcoming. The rest of the staff was very accommodating and professional.Special Features:
- Must go!!!loof123Dined on 10/17/2014Afghan dining at its best in Santa cruz!!!! Unique eating In a special setting that of the weather is nice outdoor area feels like you are in europe!Special Features:
- Wonderful place for outdoor lunch.SandnesDined on 10/16/2014Laili has really good food -- tasty, well prepared, and not too heavy; friendly and efficient service; and a beautiful outdoor dining patio that is enclosed and (usually) shaded. The outdoor space provides a quiet and intimate dining environment that is great for conversation. The one negative to this restaurant is that the inside dining area, though attractive, is far too noisy. It needs to be reworked to have more surfaces that absorb rather than reflecting and amplifying sound.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/14/2014You can't go wrong dining at Lailis. I enjoy the eggplant dish and all the flavors it offers.Special Features:
- AwesomeSallyDined on 10/11/2014Waiter Greet and the front Desk as always ! Service n Food Excellent :)
- Delicious, exotic, romanticosucodavidaDined on 10/10/2014Lovely date night! Started with the dip sampler and afghan naan, delicious! Lamb and filet mignon kebabs were amazing, and perfect to eat with your hands for an even more authentic experience. Pistachio and cardamom ice cream and french press coffee for desert, incredible. We will make this restaurant a regular visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Laili's experiencetimetohitthetownDined on 10/5/2014Laili's has been on my list of restaurants to try for about one year...Sunday, my wish finally happened. We enjoyed a delight lunch on the patio, trying an assortment of entrees. Everything was prepared and seasoned to perfection. It is definitely a new Santa Cruz favorite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Leah1Dined on 10/4/2014The food is always top notch at Laili, very pleasant and accommodating wait staff. Lovely atmosphere, only drawback: because of high ceiling, noise carries. My favorite resturant, anytime I have out of town guests to entertain, this is my first choice. Unlike anything Santa Cruz has to offer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- bigBDined on 10/4/2014extremely personable staff. consistent great job of ethnic flavors, sauces, spices on somewhat limited range of selectionsSpecial Features:
- Finding our favoritesSweetnSavoryDined on 10/3/2014A special occasion was made all the more special by the Swordfish and Pomegranate Eggplant. My partner ordered the Swordfish which he shared with me. I have never tasted Swordfish before and it flavor made me feel like royalty. We had some Malbec to go with our dishes which was a clearly good choice. The service was very attentive without being overbearing. I would definitely go back.Special Features:
- Laili, Santa CruzOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/2/2014Gracious service and delicious Mediterranean food served in a beautiful outdoor courtyard - could hardly have been better. Highly recommended!Special Features:
- Unique and delightfulTDRfromMdRVIPDined on 10/2/2014This Afghan-Mediterranean restaurant in downtown Santa Cruz was a delightful lunch find. The cuisine is imaginative and eclectic; be adventurous in what you order. The Mediterranean appetizer plate with pita, hummus, tabouleh, yogurt, etc., is excellent. My wife's Caesar salad (available in half or full orders; half was plenty) was distinctive (pita chips or something instead of bread croutons) with an excellent dressing. My trout main was really good--not too generous, but with yogurt and other tasty sauces. The wine list is from everywhere. There's an attractive indoor space and a lovely, comfortable outdoor courtyard. For us, this was a most positive adventure. Prices are reasonable for a very good restaurant, at least at lunch.Special Features:
- Laili OutstandingitistheexperienceDined on 9/28/2014Went for the different type of food ('Silk Road') but the total experience was outstanding. Sat in the lovely outside dining area which is romantic while fun at the same time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good mediterranean foodcromomDined on 9/26/2014We had their swordfish special with Saffron rice. The swordfish was delicious and perfectly cooked. The saffron rice was a bit lacking. It was mostly long-grain white rice with a bit of saffron rice on top. I would have like more Saffron rice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always solidLVShowmanDined on 9/26/2014We have dined here 5 times now. Every time the food and service have been great. They have a decent wine list and the beers are unique and seem to change every time.Special Features:
- Great food!tiffanyDined on 9/26/2014My team and I came here for a late lunch last week. We all enjoyed the food immensely. Our favorite was the meditteranean plate, it was probably the best hummus combination I've ever had.Special Features:
- Wonderful dining experience!ShelleyDined on 9/25/2014The food is unique and delicious. Highly recommend Laila for anyone who wants a great dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Eclectic Mix of Delicious FoodrrschrumjrVIPDined on 9/24/2014A very impressive place. Great ambiance inside, and the outdoor courtyard is even better. Not your typical mix of cuisines -- Indian, Middle Eastern, Afghan, etc. -- and it doesn't feel like other restaurants that serve that type of food. Feels much more, upscale American cuisine. The squash appetizer with yogurt and mint is wonderful; don't miss it. My lamb shank was pretty good -- the sauce was delicious. I also can speak highly of the eggplant, which my wife ordered. The price is quite nice, too. Would highly recommend and consider returning on our next trip to Santa Cruz.Special Features:
- we love HannahOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/24/2014We have come to Laili a few times and last time Hannah was our server. WE CAN"T WAIT TO COME BACK. in fact we have been back two times....She is kind, and excellent at what she does....Special Features: