380 Lafayette Street
New York, NY 10003Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.lafayetteny.com/
- Phone: 2125333000x
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday - Friday 7:30am - 11:30 am, Saturday & Sunday 8:00am - 10:00am
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 12:00pm - 3:00pm
Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 10:00am - 3:00pm
Afternoon: 3:00pm - 5:30pm Daily
Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 5:30pm - 10:30pm
Bakery Open for Light Breakfast & Lunch 7:30 am Monday - Friday and 8:00 am Saturday & Sunday
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French
- Executive Chef: Andrew Carmellini
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Cross Street: Great Jones Street or East 4th Street
- Public Transit: 6 train to Bleeker Street, N/R to 8th Street, B/D/F/M to Broadway-Lafayette Street
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: Parking is available across the street on the east side of Lafayette Street between Great Jones Street and Astor Place.
A word from Lafayette
Lafayette is an everyday French restaurant conducting the spirit of French dining anew in downtown Manhattan’s NoHo neighborhood. Open morning, noon and night, this grand café and bakery is dedicated to Chef Andrew Carmellini's market-driven bistro cooking in a timeless hallmark setting. Our light-flushed dining room features soaring arched windows overlooking the NoHo streetscapes and a lively rotisserie bar. Our corner boulangerie-patisserie is open all hours offering artisanal breads, croissants, Stumptown coffee drinks, a light breakfast or lunch and a host of confections. In warm weather months, our sidewalk cafe opens daily for open air lunch, brunch and dinner service.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Lafayette reviews from OpenTable diners
435 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (201)great for outdoor dining (191)great for brunch (188)neighborhood gem (156)great for lunch (145)special occasion (127)good for groups (118)romantic (107)hot spot (98)notable wine list (83)vibrant bar scene (35)late-night find (28)kid-friendly (28)scenic view (8)Show More
- Chic Noho BrasserieN45STVIPDined on 8/30/2014We liked Lafayette very much - it's a large restaurant with big tables and banquettes and a gorgeous bakery. All very well done, attractive, comfortable, and nicely appointed. We went for brunch on a Sunday and it was a good experience. Will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another dinner at LafayetteNYCboylikestotravelDined on 8/29/2014We had dinner at Lafayette, again. The lamb was delicious, as was the skate. We loved the smoked salmon tartar and coquilles with beef cheeks. The heirloom tomato on the other hand is a rip-off at $18 or so. We buy better heirloom tomatoes at Union Sq market. The pastry chef is supposed to be a star, yet we haven't had a dessert yet that would vow us. The noise level is beyond energetic; it's too damn noisy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great addition to NOHOyummyDined on 8/26/2014Delicious old-fashioned brasserie specials in a beautiful, fun setting.Special Features:
- People WatchingKenchanDined on 8/25/2014It's nice to see people walking and cycling in front of restaurant. Food is average, nothing special but not so bad.Special Features:
- Not worth the priceDukesDined on 8/23/2014Though there was nothing glaringly wrong with the food or service, it just doesn't merit the cost. The bread was memorable.Special Features:
- Great food, attentive servicecreativefoodieDined on 8/23/2014The fact that the croissants are baked fresh every morning just makes the difference....we had a banana, coconut, chocolate croissant with coffee to start...and that set the tome for a wonderful brunch....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious and fun!hungryDined on 8/21/2014Server was amazing, food was delicious, what more could you ask for?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- should be betterdinneroutVIPDined on 8/19/2014room is beautiful but the food is disappointing. i've been twice and the fact is that it's just not good.
- Worth it for the foodphs204Dined on 8/19/2014Loved the food, loved the decor, but the servers had some serious attitude -- very snobby. Which is kind of weird, since I chose to go to the restaurant and could afford to eat there. Our server lightened up once he saw his tip. Sigh.Special Features:
- really wonderful serviceK357Dined on 8/18/2014Overall the food was great but i expected more from hearing so much about the restaurant. However, the service was excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyed the timeJohnDined on 8/17/2014This was our second visit to Lafayette. Once again, enjoyed the chicken dinner for 2 but the price was way up - $62 from $50. Great desserts but not quite as imaginative as our first visit. All in all, though, we would return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food but poor serviceFrequentdinerVIPDined on 8/16/2014Restaurant has a great feel and the food was spectacular but unfortunately the service was very poor. The waitperson was very unfriendly and at times rude. Poor service led to a very long dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Better than BalthazarjimmyvDined on 8/16/2014A terrific alternative to Balthazar without all the tourists. Superb food and cocktail selection. Sat outside and found Lafayette Street a bit too busy.Special Features:
- DelicioussolelunaDined on 8/16/2014Once again Andrew Carmellini does not disappoint. This is a true neighborhood gem. Went there for brunch with a friend, food was fantastic. Atmosphere is absolutely adorable. Only one minor point of contention, not sure if it was due to our waiter or restaurant policy, no substitutions were even entertained. All I wanted was whole wheat toast for my sandwich as opposed to ciabatta. They said no, same with adding cheese to an omelet was seen as obscene. In the end I did get the bread I wanted but was never told until I saw it on my plate. But even with all of that, it was worth it and I will go again and again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent brunch spotRobertDined on 8/16/2014Looking for somewhere we could eat outside and have brunch. This was the perfect location. Excellent food with a nice outdoor setting. Service was friendly and timely. Highly recommend.Special Features:
- Bad experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/16/2014Our waitress was rude and gave us attitude when she got one of our orders incorrect. When the food came, they gave one dish to the wrong person at the table.Special Features:
- inconsistent food qualitynoralooDined on 8/15/2014I've been here a few times, great for lunch, inconsistent for dinner. 2 diners had the roast chicken and it was swimming in vinegar....like insane acid-inducing, heartburn creating quantity of vinegar. Both diners do not have a history of heartburn. The Sommelier gave us the most acidic wine as well. Too geeky, no fruit, unbalanced, acidity through the roof. So sad.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really great flavors!Nyc10029Dined on 8/15/2014The food was dynamite...wonderful flavor combinations. Service was good but not overbearing. Great place for a really nice evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- c'est manifique!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/15/2014A summer afternoon on the sidewalks of NYC brightened by a delicious 3 course lunch accompanied by just the right wine served by a friendly & knowledgeable staff.Special Features:
- MixedalisonoDined on 8/15/2014We started off with drinks, which were pretty good and very pricey. We asked for the Restaurant Week menu but it took a while for them to bring it. They don't seem interested in encouraging people to order off it. The service overall was very good though. The food started off great, with perfectly baked bread, delicious salmon tartar with chips, and a perfect salade lyonnaise. The next course was also good, though the steak looked as though it had been sitting under a heat lamp for too long. Dessert looked and tasted completely unspectacular, which is very disappointing considering the look of the pastries inside. We got black forest cake and the sorbet. We probably won't be back except to try one of the delicious looking pastries.Special Features:
- ExcellenceSighDined on 8/15/2014A beautiful coupling of excellent food preparation and attentive, FRIENDLY service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- KiciaDined on 8/14/2014It's a pretty restaurant with a great ambiance, but the menu is not that great and the food is overpriced!Special Features:
- DavidVIPDined on 8/12/2014The sommelier helped us choose a great wine, the atmosphere was great, and the food was good. Our only quibble was that the food came too fast. We had our appetiser and main course within minutes of ordering. We also had to ask for a better table. Originally seated next to a service door with no one else near us, I asked for a better table and the quickly moved us to a window. But should we have had to ask?Special Features:
- Excellent bistro fareRGartDined on 8/10/2014Had a most enjoyable evening meal at Lafayette. Seating is generously spaced, noise level allows for easy conversation (a real treat these days). Food was excellent as was wait staff -- friendly and knowledgeable. All in all, a delightful experience.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, top notch servicePerfectVIPDined on 8/9/2014I was really surprised at how great of a meal I had here. The food was great; I had steak and frites and the the fries were cooked very thin and crispy. But even better was the service. Our guy knew exactly how to recommend the right things on the menu and made wine pairings that were on the mark. Really great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Like being in ParisRichNYCDined on 8/9/2014Similar to restaurants recommended by hotel concierges in Paris but with fresher ingredients. Great bakery. Wonderful wines by the glass. Chicken for two was Provençal style. Flavorful but nothing extraordinary. Except for fire sirens, outdoor dining was quieter than inside, where the music level was a bit loud. Decor, however, was quite romantic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Green juice and almond milk lattesLeanandgreenwithChristineDined on 8/9/2014Not only was the food fantastic, they had green juice and almond milk for the lattes. Score!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedMarisaNYCPhillyVIPDined on 8/8/2014I had heard this place wasn't great and it really wasn't. I felt that the service was terrible and the food was even worse.
- UnderratedJL67VIPDined on 8/7/2014I feel like lafayette has an undeserved bad rep. I have eaten here twice and both times were very good. The food was excellent, and the service was good. (Some attitude from the hostess desk but what are you gonna do). We were not rushed; the service was present but not hovering. Some delay between app and main course but on the longer end if normal--not bad. A very solid dining experience. Worth the price.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lafayette and Great JonesvleeckerDined on 8/4/2014Lafayette is a lovely room serving good food. It is priced, however, so that I would only consider it for a special occasion. There are many other establishments in the neighborhood that compete successfully in terms of the cost of a meal. It is in the space formerly occupied by Time Café and Chinatown Brasserie, not a good sign.Special Features:
- Awful service87ephgirlDined on 8/4/2014We had a waiter changeover during our meal. The first guy was very nice but the second guy was so rude. He never even listened to what we wanted and when I asked for fruit he suggested a fruit salad from the bakery but didn't know which fruits were in it. After enquiring he brought it to me in a plastic take away cup. When I asked for a bowl he was annoyed. No really- not sure why they hire waiters with such attitude. It's too bad because it's a great place and we love the Dutch and Locanda Verde.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SatisfyingSatisfyingDined on 8/4/2014Came here for the first time and ordered from their Restaurant Week Menu. My favorite was their chilled melon soup with avocado cream and basil olive oil and crab meat. It was the only dish in the three-course menu that gave an astonishing food experience. The roasted skate was undercooked and I had to send it back to the kitchen. The Black Forest Gâteau was very underwhelming. Overall the service was very good. The waitress paid attention to all my questions, tried to find out the answers and was able to make recommendations.
- Highly RecommendedBomDmaisDined on 8/2/2014Can't say enough about the ambiance and staff. Diners around us all seemed to be enjoying themselves. The staff was attentive and knowlegeable. Wonderful help with our wine selection and the pairing of our courses. Great dinning experience. We'll be back next time we're in NY.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but priceyaadoc76VIPDined on 8/1/2014Food was good. Appetizers were better than main courses. My octopus appetizer was really good as was my husband's salmon tartare (a special). The entrees were a little small, not worth the price.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/1/2014I've had a fantastic dinner here before, and was curious about lunch. I was not disappointed. It also happened to be restaurant week! Great value for the meal. My steak was cooked perfectly with wonderful flavor. Will be returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Restaurant week find!mllc222Dined on 8/1/2014Amazing hanger steak. Loved their cold pressed juices - a nice summery alternative to a lunchtime cocktail. My only complaint was that our young waitress was constantly hovering over our table and kept trying to take our plates away before we were done. It was a Friday at 1:30 in the summer, so we were trying to have a leisurely lunch. I can only surmise she was trying to make a train to her house share in the Hamptons, but my companion and I felt it was rude and it colored our first experience at Lafayette. I judge a restaurant by how it treats its customers during Restaurant Week, but since all of Chef Carmellini's other restaurants have great service I'll give this one another try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice ambianceMomof2Dined on 7/31/2014Nice ambiance with nice lighting and very good service. Food was good, but quite pricey.Special Features:
- Lafayette was great!eats4veetsDined on 7/31/2014Had a decadent lunch during Restaurant Week. All the food was exceptional especially the hanger steak. Will certainly be back.Special Features:
- GREAT Restaurant Week Find!MaxMDined on 7/30/2014Had a friend's going away lunch there during restaurant week. Great prix fixe, I got the tuna tartare, hanger steak and black forest cake. All good choices. Artichoke ravioli was also delicious, as was the soup. All around a great meal at a great location with attentive staff. No complaints. Highly recommend.Special Features:
- Nice placeravensarrowVIPDined on 7/29/2014Nice atmosphere. Clean, tasty, well-executed dishes. Attentive staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.