380 Lafayette Street
New York, NY 10003Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.lafayetteny.com/
- Phone: 2125333000x
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday - Friday 7:30am - 11:30 am, Saturday & Sunday 8:00am - 10:00am
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 12:00pm - 3:00pm
Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 10:00am - 3:00pm
Afternoon: 3:00pm - 5:30pm Daily
Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 5:30pm - 10:30pm
Bakery Open for Light Breakfast & Lunch 7:30 am Monday - Friday and 8:00 am Saturday & Sunday
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French
- Executive Chef: Andrew Carmellini
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Cross Street: Great Jones Street or East 4th Street
- Public Transit: 6 train to Bleeker Street, N/R to 8th Street, B/D/F/M to Broadway-Lafayette Street
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: Parking is available across the street on the east side of Lafayette Street between Great Jones Street and Astor Place.
A word from Lafayette
Lafayette is an everyday French restaurant conducting the spirit of French dining anew in downtown Manhattan’s NoHo neighborhood. Open morning, noon and night, this grand café and bakery is dedicated to Chef Andrew Carmellini's market-driven bistro cooking in a timeless hallmark setting. Our light-flushed dining room features soaring arched windows overlooking the NoHo streetscapes and a lively rotisserie bar. Our corner boulangerie-patisserie is open all hours offering artisanal breads, croissants, Stumptown coffee drinks, a light breakfast or lunch and a host of confections. In warm weather months, our sidewalk cafe opens daily for open air lunch, brunch and dinner service.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Lafayette reviews from OpenTable diners
438 reviews since June 4, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (204)great for outdoor dining (186)great for brunch (185)neighborhood gem (169)great for lunch (145)good for groups (125)special occasion (122)hot spot (113)romantic (102)notable wine list (86)vibrant bar scene (31)late-night find (26)kid-friendly (22)scenic view (9)Show More
- Disappointing.Foodie1Dined on 9/29/2014Setting ambiance service and cocktails were top notch. The food was very mediocre. Corn ice cream was delish. Octopus was gamey. Pasta was ok. Overall a nice night but the food was good but not great.Special Features:
- Perfect Brunch PlaceLizCVIPDined on 9/28/2014We wanted to do a catch up brunch and was lucky to be at the perfect spot. The service was impeccable and the food was excellent. Just the right blend of sweet and savory. I thoroughly enjoyed my Saturday afternoon at Lafayette. Will be back for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GreatBabiDined on 9/27/2014Had a great experience. Love the service and food was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- not going backOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/27/2014very pricy for food quality and service; very pricy for food quality and service
- A bit of FranceBobbySandsDined on 9/27/2014The place holds a great ambiance very similar to bistros in Paris. The food was delicate but delicious. Amazing coffee and croissants to die forSpecial Features:
- Perfect BrunchjosephoDined on 9/27/2014This is everything a brunch restaurant should be. Delicious, simple food made in creative, interesting ways. And great pastries!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OISHIDESOishidesDined on 9/26/2014The staff was kind to seat me before my guest and very friendly and accomodating with our requests on the order of service and questions on the dish preparations. The trout on a bed of cabbage does not do the title of this dish justice. This was a phenomenal dish...the trout was very salted fish thrown on the grill topping a German type concoction of sauerkraut and onion carmelized that would more traditionally be served with a bratwurst.. and.....on the top layer was a lovely frisee with scallion....these combined but individual tastes were YUMMMM! Will try more on this menu!Special Features:
- Almost everything was perfectCynthiaVIPDined on 9/25/2014The ambiance of Lafayette is outstanding. Beautiful space. The food is incredible...well, almost everything. The pate was divine - while it did not come with bread, it was no problem to get it. The artichoke ravioli was one of the best I've tried and it was a very big portion. More than enough for 2 people to share. The chicken was perfectly cooked and delicious. The steak frites was the least impressive dish of the night. While the flavor was good, the steak was tough. Wasn't the best cut of meat and for the price, it should have been better. The fries were crispy and scrumptious. The dessert was also delicious. Overall, I would recommend it. This was my 2nd time there and I'd certainly go back again!Special Features:
- Look forward to our returnBrianpmaddenVIPDined on 9/22/2014I am continually amazed by all of Andrew Carmellini's restaurants! Outstanding wine list. Fantastic food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Decent food, nice atmosphereOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 9/21/2014I like this place more for brunch than dinner, but if you do go for dinner, sit outside. The food is good, but not amazing. I eat here because it's in my neighborhood. Ambiance is nice. Good for groups too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- mellowOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 9/21/2014Great service, and food. Will go back soon. Love their pancakes and omelet.Special Features:
- Excellent Experience All Aroundmissdiane27VIPDined on 9/20/2014Awesome experience! great food, service and cocktailsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingDavidlillianVIPDined on 9/20/2014First visit since they had a chef change. Menu has changed and in my opinion for the worst. Had very good ravioli and duck Au points. Ordered west coast Kusshi oysters but only served as 6 or 12. Wanted to share 9. Not possible. For dessert had plum mandarin sorbet, peach sorbet and coffee ice cream. The ice cream was very good but the sorbets were awful. Had no flavor at all. With our dinner had a bottle of Sancerre. For me the menu only had 2-3 dishes worth trying. Appetizer offerings outside the oysters were unappealing. Really a shame as this restaurant is really lovely and service excellent. So much better with the previous chef. Do not plan to return.Special Features:
- Pricey, noisy, but great food.RJHowardDined on 9/19/2014An expensive French restaurant with some pretension but with good service and very good food. The duck was cooked just right. Everything we had was very good except the peach melba. That would have been better served on a dish rather than in a glass (which made it hard to eat) and a lot less whipped cream. The dessert wine was really the best I've had in this country. My friend - a 20-something - didn't know that sweet dessert wine existed until she tasted the glass I ordered for her. I could see that look in her eyes which said, 'I will have to have more of this sometime soon'! The only real drawback is the noise level. I went on a Frinight and had a lot of trouble conversing with my companion. Overall a very good experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Second VisiteudoraDined on 9/18/2014It was a celebration for my friends who are moving to Seattle. The food was delicious, with subtle taste. The room may have been very busy - one of the staff forgot the request for a specific drink. Apart from that, the staff are very friendly and co-operative. And yes, my friends were very happy for this celebration! If I was a Rich Woman, I would come frequently!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Favorite spotOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 9/14/2014We typically go for brunch. Menu is fantastic and changes periodically.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingfeltrushedVIPDined on 9/14/2014Very disappointing. Limited brunch menu. Egg white frittata served without fruit toast or potatoes for $18. Charged for refill of iced tea. Will not return.
- nice for brunchrshorensVIPDined on 9/14/2014Lafayette is a good place for brunch. The interior is very attractive, but since it was a gorgeous day, my friend and I sat outside. We both had eggs benedict with smoked salmon over a bed of spinach. 2 slices of brioche bread were on the side. For the $21 price, I would have appreciated a croissant or some fresh fruit in addition. Fresh orange juice was delicious. Service was attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Interesante RestauranteBexovitaDined on 9/12/2014Una combinación de cocina francesa e italiana con muy buen sazón. El lugar es muy popular entre personas mayores a 30 años, un poco ruidoso pero de muy buen ambiente. Bastante recomendable.Special Features:
- Fabulous, French and FriendlyGeorgeDined on 9/12/2014The attention to detail extends from the well executed interior design to a comprehensive wine list and menu, not to mention the service which is friendly, knowledgeable and flexible. On that last point, one of our party, a gluten-dairy-free person was accommodate with a variety of suggestions on menu dishes to everyone's satisfaction. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time here for dinnerjdcapshewVIPDined on 9/10/2014And it was excellent. The wait staff was efficient and courteous, the food was wonderful. Everyone in my party liked what they had. The duck was fantastic. I'll return here again.Special Features:
- Great wine; mediocre foodEfreedgoVIPDined on 9/8/2014Food way too expensive given its mediocrity. Nice spCe, good serviceSpecial Features:
- ExcellentStefanoDined on 9/7/2014Would go again. Great service, good ambience, nice food selection. Did not rush service. Good quality.Special Features:
- DisappointingNeighborVIPDined on 9/7/2014Average brunch food. Many of the main items have small portions. French toast was small and way too sweet. The Smoked Salmon Benedict was soggy and cold. Not great service.
- Saturday BrunchWTimponeDined on 9/6/2014Great selection of French takes on American breakfast classics, including fruity drinks. The service was extraordinary. Caught up with a friend I had not seen in awhile. We lingered over coffee after our meal with no one bothering us for our table. That gave it a real Parisian feel - unlike the Dutch where they hustle you out the minute the meal is over.Special Features:
- Great Service and FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/4/2014Our waiter Allen was great! The food was great. I brought a client there and he loved it as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine seafood with nice settingsOutsiderDined on 9/4/2014Good wine selection to match seafood menu! Service is good and friendly. I like its bread selection.Special Features:
- tres bienOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 9/2/2014very pleasant food and service It has a wonderful feel to the rooms I love that it is broken up into different sections for seating not just one huge room.Special Features:
- Bountiful BrunchDBigZDined on 8/31/2014We enjoyed a beautiful and delicious brunch at Lafayette last Sunday. The pastries were wonderful. The frisee salad was delicious. The service impeccable. We loved the whole experience.Special Features:
- Our Brit friends loved it!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/30/2014Good Place to bring British visitors. We had a great time. although I did not think the food was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chic Noho BrasserieN45STVIPDined on 8/30/2014We liked Lafayette very much - it's a large restaurant with big tables and banquettes and a gorgeous bakery. All very well done, attractive, comfortable, and nicely appointed. We went for brunch on a Sunday and it was a good experience. Will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another dinner at LafayetteNYCboylikestotravelDined on 8/29/2014We had dinner at Lafayette, again. The lamb was delicious, as was the skate. We loved the smoked salmon tartar and coquilles with beef cheeks. The heirloom tomato on the other hand is a rip-off at $18 or so. We buy better heirloom tomatoes at Union Sq market. The pastry chef is supposed to be a star, yet we haven't had a dessert yet that would vow us. The noise level is beyond energetic; it's too damn noisy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great addition to NOHOyummyDined on 8/26/2014Delicious old-fashioned brasserie specials in a beautiful, fun setting.Special Features:
- People WatchingKenchanDined on 8/25/2014It's nice to see people walking and cycling in front of restaurant. Food is average, nothing special but not so bad.Special Features:
- Not worth the priceDukesDined on 8/23/2014Though there was nothing glaringly wrong with the food or service, it just doesn't merit the cost. The bread was memorable.Special Features:
- Great food, attentive servicecreativefoodieDined on 8/23/2014The fact that the croissants are baked fresh every morning just makes the difference....we had a banana, coconut, chocolate croissant with coffee to start...and that set the tome for a wonderful brunch....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious and fun!hungryDined on 8/21/2014Server was amazing, food was delicious, what more could you ask for?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- should be betterdinneroutVIPDined on 8/19/2014room is beautiful but the food is disappointing. i've been twice and the fact is that it's just not good.
- Worth it for the foodphs204Dined on 8/19/2014Loved the food, loved the decor, but the servers had some serious attitude -- very snobby. Which is kind of weird, since I chose to go to the restaurant and could afford to eat there. Our server lightened up once he saw his tip. Sigh.Special Features:
- really wonderful serviceK357Dined on 8/18/2014Overall the food was great but i expected more from hearing so much about the restaurant. However, the service was excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.