380 Lafayette Street
New York, NY 10003Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.lafayetteny.com/
- Phone: 2125333000x
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday - Friday 7:30am - 11:30 am, Saturday & Sunday 8:00am - 10:00am
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 12:00pm - 3:00pm
Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 10:00am - 3:00pm
Afternoon: 3:00pm - 5:30pm Daily
Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 5:30pm - 10:30pm
Bakery Open for Light Breakfast & Lunch 7:30 am Monday - Friday and 8:00 am Saturday & Sunday
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French
- Executive Chef: Andrew Carmellini
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Cross Street: Great Jones Street or East 4th Street
- Public Transit: 6 train to Bleeker Street, N/R to 8th Street, B/D/F/M to Broadway-Lafayette Street
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: Parking is available across the street on the east side of Lafayette Street between Great Jones Street and Astor Place.
A word from Lafayette
Lafayette is an everyday French restaurant conducting the spirit of French dining anew in downtown Manhattan’s NoHo neighborhood. Open morning, noon and night, this grand café and bakery is dedicated to Chef Andrew Carmellini's market-driven bistro cooking in a timeless hallmark setting. Our light-flushed dining room features soaring arched windows overlooking the NoHo streetscapes and a lively rotisserie bar. Our corner boulangerie-patisserie is open all hours offering artisanal breads, croissants, Stumptown coffee drinks, a light breakfast or lunch and a host of confections. In warm weather months, our sidewalk cafe opens daily for open air lunch, brunch and dinner service.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Lafayette reviews from OpenTable diners
434 reviews since May 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (203)great for outdoor dining (190)great for brunch (185)neighborhood gem (167)great for lunch (150)special occasion (123)good for groups (115)hot spot (108)romantic (102)notable wine list (86)late-night find (30)vibrant bar scene (28)kid-friendly (24)scenic view (9)Show More
- Favorite spotOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 9/14/2014We typically go for brunch. Menu is fantastic and changes periodically.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingfeltrushedVIPDined on 9/14/2014Very disappointing. Limited brunch menu. Egg white frittata served without fruit toast or potatoes for $18. Charged for refill of iced tea. Will not return.
- nice for brunchrshorensVIPDined on 9/14/2014Lafayette is a good place for brunch. The interior is very attractive, but since it was a gorgeous day, my friend and I sat outside. We both had eggs benedict with smoked salmon over a bed of spinach. 2 slices of brioche bread were on the side. For the $21 price, I would have appreciated a croissant or some fresh fruit in addition. Fresh orange juice was delicious. Service was attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Interesante RestauranteBexovitaDined on 9/12/2014Una combinación de cocina francesa e italiana con muy buen sazón. El lugar es muy popular entre personas mayores a 30 años, un poco ruidoso pero de muy buen ambiente. Bastante recomendable.Special Features:
- Fabulous, French and FriendlyGeorgeDined on 9/12/2014The attention to detail extends from the well executed interior design to a comprehensive wine list and menu, not to mention the service which is friendly, knowledgeable and flexible. On that last point, one of our party, a gluten-dairy-free person was accommodate with a variety of suggestions on menu dishes to everyone's satisfaction. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time here for dinnerjdcapshewVIPDined on 9/10/2014And it was excellent. The wait staff was efficient and courteous, the food was wonderful. Everyone in my party liked what they had. The duck was fantastic. I'll return here again.Special Features:
- Great wine; mediocre foodEfreedgoVIPDined on 9/8/2014Food way too expensive given its mediocrity. Nice spCe, good serviceSpecial Features:
- ExcellentStefanoDined on 9/7/2014Would go again. Great service, good ambience, nice food selection. Did not rush service. Good quality.Special Features:
- DisappointingNeighborVIPDined on 9/7/2014Average brunch food. Many of the main items have small portions. French toast was small and way too sweet. The Smoked Salmon Benedict was soggy and cold. Not great service.
- Saturday BrunchWTimponeDined on 9/6/2014Great selection of French takes on American breakfast classics, including fruity drinks. The service was extraordinary. Caught up with a friend I had not seen in awhile. We lingered over coffee after our meal with no one bothering us for our table. That gave it a real Parisian feel - unlike the Dutch where they hustle you out the minute the meal is over.Special Features:
- Great Service and FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/4/2014Our waiter Allen was great! The food was great. I brought a client there and he loved it as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine seafood with nice settingsOutsiderDined on 9/4/2014Good wine selection to match seafood menu! Service is good and friendly. I like its bread selection.Special Features:
- tres bienOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 9/2/2014very pleasant food and service It has a wonderful feel to the rooms I love that it is broken up into different sections for seating not just one huge room.Special Features:
- Bountiful BrunchDBigZDined on 8/31/2014We enjoyed a beautiful and delicious brunch at Lafayette last Sunday. The pastries were wonderful. The frisee salad was delicious. The service impeccable. We loved the whole experience.Special Features:
- Our Brit friends loved it!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/30/2014Good Place to bring British visitors. We had a great time. although I did not think the food was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chic Noho BrasserieN45STVIPDined on 8/30/2014We liked Lafayette very much - it's a large restaurant with big tables and banquettes and a gorgeous bakery. All very well done, attractive, comfortable, and nicely appointed. We went for brunch on a Sunday and it was a good experience. Will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another dinner at LafayetteNYCboylikestotravelDined on 8/29/2014We had dinner at Lafayette, again. The lamb was delicious, as was the skate. We loved the smoked salmon tartar and coquilles with beef cheeks. The heirloom tomato on the other hand is a rip-off at $18 or so. We buy better heirloom tomatoes at Union Sq market. The pastry chef is supposed to be a star, yet we haven't had a dessert yet that would vow us. The noise level is beyond energetic; it's too damn noisy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great addition to NOHOyummyDined on 8/26/2014Delicious old-fashioned brasserie specials in a beautiful, fun setting.Special Features:
- People WatchingKenchanDined on 8/25/2014It's nice to see people walking and cycling in front of restaurant. Food is average, nothing special but not so bad.Special Features:
- Not worth the priceDukesDined on 8/23/2014Though there was nothing glaringly wrong with the food or service, it just doesn't merit the cost. The bread was memorable.Special Features:
- Great food, attentive servicecreativefoodieDined on 8/23/2014The fact that the croissants are baked fresh every morning just makes the difference....we had a banana, coconut, chocolate croissant with coffee to start...and that set the tome for a wonderful brunch....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious and fun!hungryDined on 8/21/2014Server was amazing, food was delicious, what more could you ask for?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- should be betterdinneroutVIPDined on 8/19/2014room is beautiful but the food is disappointing. i've been twice and the fact is that it's just not good.
- Worth it for the foodphs204Dined on 8/19/2014Loved the food, loved the decor, but the servers had some serious attitude -- very snobby. Which is kind of weird, since I chose to go to the restaurant and could afford to eat there. Our server lightened up once he saw his tip. Sigh.Special Features:
- really wonderful serviceK357Dined on 8/18/2014Overall the food was great but i expected more from hearing so much about the restaurant. However, the service was excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyed the timeJohnDined on 8/17/2014This was our second visit to Lafayette. Once again, enjoyed the chicken dinner for 2 but the price was way up - $62 from $50. Great desserts but not quite as imaginative as our first visit. All in all, though, we would return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food but poor serviceFrequentdinerVIPDined on 8/16/2014Restaurant has a great feel and the food was spectacular but unfortunately the service was very poor. The waitperson was very unfriendly and at times rude. Poor service led to a very long dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Better than BalthazarjimmyvDined on 8/16/2014A terrific alternative to Balthazar without all the tourists. Superb food and cocktail selection. Sat outside and found Lafayette Street a bit too busy.Special Features:
- DelicioussolelunaDined on 8/16/2014Once again Andrew Carmellini does not disappoint. This is a true neighborhood gem. Went there for brunch with a friend, food was fantastic. Atmosphere is absolutely adorable. Only one minor point of contention, not sure if it was due to our waiter or restaurant policy, no substitutions were even entertained. All I wanted was whole wheat toast for my sandwich as opposed to ciabatta. They said no, same with adding cheese to an omelet was seen as obscene. In the end I did get the bread I wanted but was never told until I saw it on my plate. But even with all of that, it was worth it and I will go again and again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent brunch spotRobertDined on 8/16/2014Looking for somewhere we could eat outside and have brunch. This was the perfect location. Excellent food with a nice outdoor setting. Service was friendly and timely. Highly recommend.Special Features:
- Bad experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/16/2014Our waitress was rude and gave us attitude when she got one of our orders incorrect. When the food came, they gave one dish to the wrong person at the table.Special Features:
- inconsistent food qualitynoralooDined on 8/15/2014I've been here a few times, great for lunch, inconsistent for dinner. 2 diners had the roast chicken and it was swimming in vinegar....like insane acid-inducing, heartburn creating quantity of vinegar. Both diners do not have a history of heartburn. The Sommelier gave us the most acidic wine as well. Too geeky, no fruit, unbalanced, acidity through the roof. So sad.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really great flavors!Nyc10029Dined on 8/15/2014The food was dynamite...wonderful flavor combinations. Service was good but not overbearing. Great place for a really nice evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- c'est manifique!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/15/2014A summer afternoon on the sidewalks of NYC brightened by a delicious 3 course lunch accompanied by just the right wine served by a friendly & knowledgeable staff.Special Features:
- MixedalisonoDined on 8/15/2014We started off with drinks, which were pretty good and very pricey. We asked for the Restaurant Week menu but it took a while for them to bring it. They don't seem interested in encouraging people to order off it. The service overall was very good though. The food started off great, with perfectly baked bread, delicious salmon tartar with chips, and a perfect salade lyonnaise. The next course was also good, though the steak looked as though it had been sitting under a heat lamp for too long. Dessert looked and tasted completely unspectacular, which is very disappointing considering the look of the pastries inside. We got black forest cake and the sorbet. We probably won't be back except to try one of the delicious looking pastries.Special Features:
- ExcellenceSighDined on 8/15/2014A beautiful coupling of excellent food preparation and attentive, FRIENDLY service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- KiciaDined on 8/14/2014It's a pretty restaurant with a great ambiance, but the menu is not that great and the food is overpriced!Special Features:
- DavidVIPDined on 8/12/2014The sommelier helped us choose a great wine, the atmosphere was great, and the food was good. Our only quibble was that the food came too fast. We had our appetiser and main course within minutes of ordering. We also had to ask for a better table. Originally seated next to a service door with no one else near us, I asked for a better table and the quickly moved us to a window. But should we have had to ask?Special Features:
- Excellent bistro fareRGartDined on 8/10/2014Had a most enjoyable evening meal at Lafayette. Seating is generously spaced, noise level allows for easy conversation (a real treat these days). Food was excellent as was wait staff -- friendly and knowledgeable. All in all, a delightful experience.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, top notch servicePerfectVIPDined on 8/9/2014I was really surprised at how great of a meal I had here. The food was great; I had steak and frites and the the fries were cooked very thin and crispy. But even better was the service. Our guy knew exactly how to recommend the right things on the menu and made wine pairings that were on the mark. Really great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.