800 16th Street, NW
Washington, DC 20006Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.hayadams.com/
- Phone: (202) 638-2570
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday - Friday: 6:30am - 11:00am, Saturday - Sunday: 7:00am - 11:00am; Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:30am - 2:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm; Sunday Brunch: 11:30am - 2:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Continental, American
- Executive Chef: Peter Schaffrath
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Private Dining available for groups of up to 20 guests.
- Private Party Facilities: The private room within the Lafayette Restaurant can accommodate up to 20 guests. Windows open to a panoramic view of Lafayette Park & The White House.
- Private Party Contact: Ahmet Hacikara 2026386600x
- Entertainment: Our pianist Tom Vogt is playing every Monday – Saturday evening and for Sunday Brunch
- Special Events: Brunch on most major holidays.
- Cross Street: H Street
- Public Transit: McPherson Square, Farragut West, Farragut North
- Parking: Hotel Parking
- Parking Details: Parking is complimentary for dinner. A parking fee of $10.00 via hotel valet parking for breakfast Monday - Friday and Sunday Brunch. $26 for Lunch Monday - Saturday.
A word from Lafayette Restaurant
Washington’s destination for power dining, the Lafayette Restaurant serves breakfast, lunch, dinner & Sunday brunch. With large windows opening onto Lafayette park & the White House, this sun-lit dining room is one of the most elegant settings in the capital & is certain to complement any dining experience.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
Lafayette Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Downtown ›
Lafayette Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
47 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.7Noise LevelQuiet
special occasion (33)romantic (22)fit for foodies (15)great for lunch (12)notable wine list (11)scenic view (10)good for groups (7)neighborhood gem (6)hot spot (6)great for brunch (4)great for outdoor dining (2)Show More
- Exquisite ExperienceDarcinikolVIPDined on 11/4/2014Our dining experience was the best I've had in quite awhile. The waitstaff was extremely attentive, polite, professional and very knowledgeable. I was pleasantly surprised how accommodating they were to my special request on my entree. There was not a hint of pretentiousness, only gracious hospitality. Both the food and wine quality were outstanding, from the initial generous cocktails and uniquely varied bread basket to our decadent desserts and cordials. The entire evening was perfect for our special surprise for my father and the pianist added a lovely ambiance to our perfectly situated table. We will definitely return!!Special Features:
- Birthday greatTomPDined on 11/3/2014Loved the restaurant, the service, the ambience, the food and the DESSERT. Don't miss the chocolate soufflé.Special Features:
- Incredible lobster salad!LwyrloveshealthydiningDined on 10/27/2014No mayo, just huge pieces of fresh shelled lobster with a nice size salad and small puddle of really wonderful citrus/kiwi (?) dressing on the side. Salad was listed as a first course but was plenty for a lunch entree. The bread basket also had a wonderful selection of freshly baked breads. Terrific unobtrusive but attentive service and convenient venue for a business lunch near the White House.Special Features:
- Fantastic foodddddDined on 10/23/2014The food was excellent! The service was good. Overall we had a great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top of the list.DougVIPDined on 10/18/2014Combine a very, very classy atmosphere in an historic hotel and setting with a view of the White House and then add fabulous food....that's the Lafayette! Loved every bite and every minute!Special Features:
- Number one in D.C.LawCEODined on 10/17/2014I once lived in D.C. and have been visiting the city for 30 years. No place comes close to the service and excellence of the Hay-Adams Team. Food always superb but exceeded by the staff who call you by name after a couplke of visits and have your drink order on the table before you can place it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GeezLouiseDined on 10/10/2014Very quiet and elegant restaurant inside a gorgeous hotel!! Can't beat the location. Great view of the White House.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- As expectedAsanDined on 10/10/2014Great place if you're looking for a place near the White House to have a decent conversion while helping yourselves with fine food.Special Features:
- Great breakfast meetingAsanDined on 10/9/2014Great place to have breakfast meetings. Food and service fantastic. And the overall atmosphere makes it a good place to have comfortable discussions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very elegant restauranttoadie622Dined on 10/7/2014The restaurant is in the Hay Adams Hotel. It is quite formal but not stuffy. I loved getting a black napkin instead of white which leaves my black pants full of white lint. Wish more places did this. We all had Marland crab cakes which were excellent. Desserts were great too but unfortunately they ignored my request for a candle on the birthday girls cake 😟Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- localfoodieDined on 9/27/2014We stayed at the Hay-Adams for the weekend and had lunch one day and dinner the next at the Lafayette. Both meals were excellent.Special Features:
- fantasticScubafoodDined on 9/22/2014An incredible dinner in an incredible place. The staff were fantastic, food amazing and it was a great way to spend my wife's birthday. Thank you to the team for a memorable night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/10/2014An outstanding restaurant: elegant food, setting, service, and an excellent pianist. Tables are beautifully appointed, far enough apart for private conversation. Make reservations. You will enjoy the evening. Prices are comparable to other acclaimed high-quality DC establishments.Special Features:
- The following 474 reviews are from the Lafayette Restaurant reviews archive.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/23/2014A superb place to eat. A stunning, beautiful room across from the White House with wonderful live piano in the background playing selections from the great American songbook. A memorable destination.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- happyVIPDined on 7/13/2014The best restaurant in the metro area for brunch - bar none.Special Features:
- LovelyGustavDined on 7/7/2014The room is gorgeous, chandeliers light up the place like a Parisian palace, and the real candles over the fireplace at night are a nice touch. The food is very good and service is prompt. It is pricey, but still a good value. Would recommend to others for special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Jay3Dined on 6/29/2014I invited a friend to celebrate her birthday there last Sunday. The Sunday Brunch was superb: elegant setting, wonderful champagne and food, and outstanding service. We will definitely return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely; service could be betterCPAfoodieVIPDined on 6/26/2014My first time here for a business lunch. The food and atmosphere were wonderful but the restaurant is missing what felt like an experienced waiters. I had to ask for more tea several times; the waiter approached at ackward times.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a treatVinceGVIPDined on 6/7/2014Stayed at the Hay-Adams this past weekend and dined at Lafayette for lunch Saturday and breakfast Sunday. Wonderful food and ambiance, plus spectacular service. I only wish we could afford to do this more often. So worth it. Sometimes you just have to treat yourself to a little luxury. Thank you Hay-Adams for a memorable weekend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lafayette, we will return!SusquehannaSojournsDined on 6/2/2014An extra-special place with an unmatched combination of location (lovely Lafayette Park, oh and that incredible White House view as you walk up), bright natural light ambiance, amazing and unaffected service (luminaries and regular citizens are all the same), and excellent dishes. My party of three ordered and shared the scallops, snapper and crab cake entrees for lunch - all cooked to perfection. The accompanying vegetables, ex. roasted fennel, artichokes, radishes were substantial and delicious. The Lafayette really has portions down to an art. We enjoyed soup appetizers, seafood and vegetable entrees and light desserts, a glass of wine, coffee;we felt satisfied but not stuffed. We spent around $90/person, which included the 20% tip.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2001VIPDined on 6/1/2014Toddler and infant at table next to us, though relative well mannered, still took the edge off of a $75 per head brunch.I would recommend this to a friend.
- An incredible dining experienceEckyDined on 5/25/2014I took my wife and daughter here for Sunday brunch. They are special to me and I like to treat them that way. LR did a phenominal job serving us fantastic food. We will go back EVERYTIME we are in DCSpecial Features:
- Getting olderfredoVIPDined on 5/16/2014Pretty room pleasant piano attentive service but rather uninspired food highly overpriced needs a tuneup
- Awesome!MakunloveDined on 5/16/2014Warm and elegant service. Food was great in portion and taste.Special Features:
- Elegant RestaurantJWH48VIPDined on 5/13/2014My spouse and I were seated at a two top overlooking Lafayette Park. We watched groups exercising and enjoying the park. The wine list is very good and our server was knowledgeable and made great recommendations. Service was attentive, but not intrusive. The food was excellent. This is definitely a come back place for us. I had the tuna carpaccio, a great salad and mushroom risotto. The risotto was as good as I've had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lafayette DeliversWendyDined on 5/10/2014Traditional elegant setting, excellent service and wonderful food, not heavy French but updated to today's standards, portions not too large, perfect sizeSpecial Features:
- Lovely night outFensuDined on 5/9/2014The service was great and the food was delicious! Add a view of the White House and great piano music, and it's a great night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- greatwonderfulDined on 5/8/2014perfec.specially our waiter...music...the food was good. waiter was so polite. music was sooo romantic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BrunchJudyDined on 5/4/2014Through a comedy of errors, we were first directed to a buffet being held the day after the Washington Correspondents Dinner, instead of being directed to the Lafayette room for brunch with friends. I had read the brunch menu on line, so was very impressed with the before brunch appetizers and drinks! Wow, I thought---there were even celebrity chefs cooking hot appetizers. After finally figuring out we were in the wrong place, we met our friends in the Lafayette room and had a nice brunch. My only complaint was that the waiter was not very attentive. We had a difficult time tracking him down in order to get a second cup of coffee. All in all, however, a memorable experience.Special Features:
- Worth itFunDiningDined on 5/4/2014Excellent ambiance and food. However, service was spotty and distracted. We had to wait too long for our food and the waiter kept forgetting our drinks requests - for example, we had to remind him several times about our mimosas.Special Features:
- Lafayette Wins Again!!Good2eatVIPDined on 5/2/2014The Lafayette Restaurant within the historic Hay Adams Hotel is a can't miss experience!! From the moment you pull into the drive, you know you are in for a special treat and the awesome experience does not disappoint.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful surpriseItalinloverDined on 5/2/2014Highly recommended. From the very beginning, the service was excellent. The food was great.. We had the crab cakes with vegetables and the scallops. All perfectly cooked. Worth every penny. The "Off the Record" bar below ground floor was a great place to start. Get there early because it filled up fast. Recommend you dress up (jackets for the men and dresses for the women with all your bling).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Smalll Romantinc near White HouseDineatWHDined on 5/1/2014A romantic dinner a block away from White House. The ambience is classy, a great service and good food. Prefer the fish because is the house speciality.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Crazy Good!ContessaVIPDined on 5/1/2014I would rate our experience 10 stars if I could. The ambiance is elegant, the food and all staff superb. I had the best crab cakes I have ever tasted. Excellent bread selection, amuse bouche an intermezzo of Champagne sorbet, and to die for chocolates all added up to an extraordinary meal. It felt as if we were celebrating an important occasion, but it was simply the first dinner of our vacation in DC. We will be hard pressed to find another meal that will equal this one in quality of service, and food. It was a memorable evening.Special Features:
- Another exceptional experiencebusyguyinGreensboroVIPDined on 4/29/2014The Lafayette Restaurant in in the Hay-Adams Hotel, right in front of the White House. The entire experience was very pleasant. The service was exceptional, and the waiters were all very nice. My dinner (scallops) was excellent. The atmosphere of the dining room is excellence.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just OK food, lovely settingOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 4/26/2014Went here for our wedding anniversary. The room is lovely, we had a view of Lafayette Park and the White House. Very nice piano playing in the background. Service was attentive and friendly. But the food disappointed - definitely mediocre, nothing that stands out. Go for the ambiance and the location but don't expect to be dazzled by the food.Special Features:
- Outstanding BreakfastOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/26/2014Breakfast is a difficult meal in DC on a weekend...most restaurants do brunch and don't open until it's almost lunchtime. But the Lafayette, being a hotel, serves breakfast early. I have been here for breakfast twice now, and it was spectacular both times. The service is impeccable; some of the best you'll find in the city. And the food, of course, is wonderful. Classic breakfast dishes executed perfectly. I had the smoked salmon tartine which was amazing and buttery, and my mother had the oatmeal souffle (if you like eating sweet food for breakfast please please order the souffle, you won't regret it). Yes, it is pricey but doing breakfast here is a fun alternative for a special occasion meal. Highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedMikeDined on 4/24/2014The ambience was five star, our waiter was very attentive, the food was was less than average, the wine list had an extremely limited selection and was overpriced. Overall I was very disappointed.
- A little pricey!SJPviaRHVIPDined on 4/22/2014Excellent! But a little pricey. Dinner was $80 without wine. Nice envrionment, free valet parking, accessible to the Downtown Area, quiet.Special Features:
- Really?Ritz186Dined on 4/20/2014Just because we were obviously tourists -- knapsacks, maps, guidebooks, I think we were snubbed at the Lafayette. The only time I received service from our waiter is when I signaled. I had to send the teapot back because it had egg smeared all over it. Our linen tablecloth, which I observed should have been changed between guests because I waited so long while our waiter schmoozed with the regulars, was stained and dirty. He did not put jams on our table. I was charged extra for something I am still quite certain was part of my meal. Got more attentive service from the Texas BBQ place I frequented that evening. Shame Lafayette!