Lafayette Inn & Restaurant
146 E Main Street
Stanardsville, VA 22973Neighborhood:
SouthernPrice: $30 and under
Lafayette Inn & Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.thelafayette.com/
- Phone: 4349856345x
- Hours of Operation:
Fridays- 11:30am-8pm Lunch/Dinner
Saturdays- 8:30am-8pm Breakfast/Lunch/Dinner
Sundays- 8:30am-7pm Breakfast/Brunch/Dinner
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Southern, Cajun
- Executive Chef: Alan Pyles
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Beer, Chef's Table, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Host to over 250 Rehearsals, weddings, receptions and small corporate events. Specialize in small (40 down to 2!), intimate groups and organizations.
- Private Party Facilities: Best known for our 10 Course, wine paired Chef Tasting Dinner. Over 1,000 guests have enjoyed the "experience" last year alone! 6:00pm seating. Available most evenings- (Call if the evening appears blocked).
- Private Party Contact: Alan Pyles 4349856345x
- Special Events: "Burgers Done Well"- Gourmet Burget Menu. Wide selection of 1/2 pound fire roasted burgers. Upgrade to doubles, triples and event quad! Chicken, Turkey and Veggie burger options- Garden style for a Gluten Free experience.
A word from Lafayette Inn & Restaurant
2011-2014 OpenTable "DINERS CHOICE- Best Overall". Sophisticated Southern Cuisine. An approachable yet elegant dining experience. Named "Virginia"s Restaurant of the Year" by the Food & Wine Society. Regions top "Gourmet Burger" lunch. Wine Enthusiast award winning wine list representing dozens of Virginia wines and countless other New World selections.Continued
Located just 6 miles off of Skyline Drive. 30-40 minutes East of Harrisonburg, 20 minutes north of Charlottesville and 30 minutes south of Culpeper.
Located just 6 miles off of Skyline Drive. 30-40 minutes East of Harrisonburg, 20 minutes north of Charlottesville and 30 minutes south of Culpeper.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Lafayette Inn & Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
7 reviews since May 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (4)romantic (4)special occasion (4)neighborhood gem (3)notable wine list (3)kid-friendly (1)great for brunch (1)great for lunch (1)Show More
- Excellent or a couple!reviewsimpleDined on 8/29/2014My wife and I had spent the day on the Shenandoah River kayaking and were quite hungry. I am so glad I had researched this place! It was excellent and the service was phenomenal. I would recommend this restaurant to anyone!Special Features:
- ATreatTrixieDined on 7/25/2014We had a party of 12. The waitress was informed, friendly and handled each table efficiently. The food was good. A great selection. Good wine list, very reasonable selections. We had a great timeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 75 reviews are from the Lafayette Inn & Restaurant reviews archive.
- lovely eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/16/2014Very good food from an obviously talented chef but not pretentious at all. Wait staff was very friendly and attentive. Will definitely return.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/19/2014Entrees (crab cakes, seafood pasta, flank steak with a south american style lime sauce) were all excellent, lovely, interesting sauces. Salads very fresh. All very nicely presented. Terrific coffee (Seattle's Best). As Inn guests, there is cooked breakfast on weekends, and a lovely Sunday brunch. Omelets were superbly prepared each time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasant place for lunchBismarck9Dined on 4/13/2014Had the eggplant parmesean Panini - very nice. Bread was ordinary - could have been stepped up. Beautiful historic home and server was quite good. Would have liked to have tried one of their hamburgers which they highlight; however burgers are all 1/2 pound and are cooked to medium well. When I asked for a smaller hamburger, I was told it was not available. One half pound mead is just too much for the average person.
- We've been coming to the LafayetteJPELMDined on 2/22/2014We've been coming to the Lafayette Inn for years. This past weekend was the best it's ever been and we look forward to returning again soon!I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingJeedyDined on 2/15/2014My husband and I were looking forward to trying this restaurant. We were hoping it would be a neighborhood gem, instead we decided not to go back. I ordered seafood Diablo which was overwhelming smothered in diced canned tomatoes and onion, I could barely find the rice underneath all the canned tomatoes. My husband ordered shrimp with grits which again came with diced canned tomatoes and undercooked shrimp. (Shrimp shouldn't be transparent when cooked). No one asked us how we were enjoying our meal nor did anyone come by to refill our water glasses or ask my husband if he wanted more wine. Bread was ok as was my salad. My husband did enjoy the corn fritters. Nice local wine list.
- Perfect for a special occasion.DanJeanneDined on 2/14/2014My girl friend and I went to the Lafayette for our first Valentines. Everything was perfect. She had the crab cakes and I had the aged strip steak. We shared half with each other for a custom surf-n-turf. The food was exceptional. We shared a bottle of local wine which was excellent and not over priced for a restaurant. The dining room had fire places on both ends and the ambience was very romantic. There were 3 ladies serving and they were all friendly but not hovering, they were professional. We have driven by the Lafayette several times and always spoke of going; so for Valentines I surprised her and it was an exceptional experience. I think we have found our future restaurant for every Valentines memory. The Lafayette was perfect!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food But . . .DannyDined on 2/14/2014My wife and I ate here for Valentine's day. The food was excellent! The servers were excellent! However, when we asked if we could sit by one of the two gas fireplaces (it was a very cold evening), the hostess told us "No" without any real explanation. We were then seated next to a closed but drafty door. My wife had to sit through dinner wearing her coat. Only two other couples were there when we arrived, and only three more arrived during the hour we were there. The tables by the fireplace continued to be unoccupied the whole time. The Inn is not in the most convenient of places so because of this and our experience we will not go back. There are plenty of other good restaurants around in Central Virginia that keep their guests warm :-)
- Food was good, but slightlyOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/8/2014Food was good, but slightly on the dry side. Food didn't have a real fresh taste. Service was poor due to the restaurant trying to serve a large group simultaneously. Although we received an apology, no compensation was given.Special Features:
- We love coming hereOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 2/7/2014We come here every few months. Service is great, very friendly and helpful. Food is always amazing, specials are unique and not boring. Huge wine list and not horribly over priced. Food prices are very reasonable for such quality. We have brought several friends here and they are equally impressed. Chef comes out often to see how everyone is enjoying his food. Great place!Special Features:
- Happy! Happy! Hapypy!KellyQDined on 2/2/2014Great restaurant half way between Bedford, VA and Baltimore, MD. I am a foodie so I need a place with excellent food (no chain restaurants!). The Lafayette Inn did not disappoint. We had the champagne brunch and I got poached eggs with a crab meat sauce, along with potatoes and bacon. My husband got the crab cake & egg with bacon on the side. Both were very good, which is saying a lot since we are from MD and everyone here is a crab cake snob. If you can, please save room for dessert; we ordered the cheesecake with salted caramel (delicious!) and a chocolate peanut butter banana bread pudding that was phenomenal!!!! Alan and Kaye are very nice and the service is excellent (just like the food!) I'd highly recommend this place to anyone.Special Features:
- Excellent food in a historic gemLuvGreekFoodDined on 2/1/2014We enjoyed a fabulous lunch at the Lafayette Inn. We took advantage of the special burgers they have. We also had an order of fried green tomatoes for our appetizer. Lastly, we had a bottle of Virginia wine. The burgers were cooked perfectly, and all toppings/ingredients were fresh and flavorful. The fried green tomoatoes were accompanied by a mango salsa that topped off the flavor nicely. The wine list is extensive, from high end to reasonable, from France, Napa, and Virginia. The service was excellent. Our waitress was attentive and pleasant. We would definitely go back to the Lafayette Inn!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food in a historic old innPaulDined on 1/24/2014We have been several times, and the food is always excellent. The menu features traditional "southern" favoriites, but done in a gourmet manner. And all reasonably priced.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice ambianceAnnKDined on 12/27/2013After long day hiking in Shenandoah's, this historic inn is a warm and homey atmosphere, with nice staff and good food. We dined during Christmas holiday, and it was probably a bit busier than usual. A few things on the menu were not available but the substitutions were fine.Special Features:
- GreatArisDined on 12/20/2013Can't believe we found such a gem in such a small town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Find in a Small TownjyryDined on 12/6/2013The Lafayette has always been a favorite for us and well worth the trip from where we live. The ambiance is beautiful, a small, well appointed room in a very historic house. The room is elegant in its simplicity.There are always vegetarian options for me and the quality of the food is excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent meal!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/10/2013The menu options are great. Staff was very personable and friendly. They were very knowledgeable about their wine offerings as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great findTemplarDined on 11/10/2013We have been here before for supper, and this time for Sunday Brunch...what can I say? Champagne and Eggs Benedict. Life is good!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special OccasionEmmykinsDined on 10/19/2013A memorable evening indeed. I took out-of-town guests there who absolutely loved the place. We had four people making sure all our needs were met! The chef graciously accommodated a vegan eater. All the three different entres were excellent! We did not feel rushed; we did feel pampered. Lovely dining room too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A very nice dining experienceminorfoodieDined on 10/19/2013The service was friendly and not too formal. The food was excellent. The dining room was quiet and small.Special Features:
- Good, not amazing.hmtdDined on 10/6/2013The food was pretty good; I had the duck and it wasn't amazing (as duck generally is) so that was a little disappointing. They were wonderfully accommodating for gluten-free, which I really appreciated. The server was friendly and prompt. Overall, I'd say it was a good experience, just not amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lafayette InneatoutDined on 9/28/2013We were a little disappointed but still enjoyed the evening. The lighting was "dim"...not the romantic dim, but eye strain dim. Food was good.
- It was a Happy AnniversaryOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/7/2013They accommodated our party of nine easily and we enjoyed each other as well as the food and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never disappointedFlowjoDined on 8/17/2013We have never been disappointed in the menu, quality or prices at the Lafayette Inn. The staff is always friendly and accommodating. I am only sorry I live so close, I would love to stay at the Inn sometime.Special Features:
- Nice place, good service,redsun33VIPDined on 8/9/2013Nice place, good service, average to good food. It is not the best restaurant in Virginia (supposedly it was voted as such).
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/9/2013My husband and I chose the Lafayette to celebrate our anniversary based on the numerous positive reviews.When we arrived, about 10 tables were occupied. We were seated promptly, given menus and served an amuse-bouche. Three servers took turns explaining specials, drinks, etc.and all went well until our food came.At that point, the servers ignored us for the remainder of the evening. No one came to ask how our food was (excellent), or if we wanted more wine (which we did) or if we wanted dessert and coffee (which we did). After waiting approximately 20 minutes after finishing our meals, my husband flagged someone down to give us a bill.For this reason, I would not recommend this restaurant to anyone, even though the food is very good.Special Features:
- Looking for graduation dinner venueOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/20/2013We are looking for a place that is not mobbed during U VA graduation next spring. Most of food was good. Rolls w cinnamon butter fabulous. Did not enjoy oddly sweet gazpacho soup. Biggest gripe was obtrusive, gushy waitress. Overall lovely old building, good food and not outrageously high prices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I will come backOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/24/2013Warm friendly atmosphere combined with good food. The staff is efficient and engaging. We had a delightful evening and absolutely loved the food A real winner with southern charm and graciousnessSpecial Features:
- Good food, great wine list,charmingJaniefromJaxDined on 5/19/2013An old inn with good food and a historic setting. Nice for quiet dinner with friends. Good food and wine. Nice staff.Special Features:
- A star in Stanardsvilledad2dljDined on 5/12/2013Wonderful food, staff and ambience! Off the beaten path, but a perfect place for a special meal when in the Charlottesville area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We went to eat here on ourOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/13/2013We went to eat here on our honeymoon. It was a great! Food was outstanding and service was great!! Can't wait to go back!Special Features:
- Great findFlowjoDined on 4/6/2013What a great find! We thoroughly enjoyed our recent visit to the Lafayette inn. The food was absolutely delicious and the staff were friendly and professional. The ambiance was just as enjoyable, with a real small town charm and historical elegance. Will definitely return to try brunch!Special Features:
- Innovative "southern" cuisinePaulDined on 4/6/2013Innovative "southern" cuisine in a smart yet relaxed atmosphere of an historic inn. The staff are friendly and efficient. We have eaten there three times and every course has been excellent. And there is a good and reasonably priced wine list which includes local as well as other wines. It is well worth the trip to this small country town!Special Features:
- Overall, we had a wonderfulVAisforLoversDined on 4/5/2013Overall, we had a wonderful meal and the atmosphere was great. All of our food was great except for the scallops which were a little chewy.Special Features:
- A wonderful restaurant inOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/5/2013A wonderful restaurant in a historic building. The food was very good, service was excellent. Extensive wine list. A little on the pricey side for just a dinner out, but good for a special occasion. Would like to try it for lunch and brunch on Sundays. Highly recommend.Special Features:
- We went to Lafayette for theOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/31/2013We went to Lafayette for the Easter brunch. It was nice, quiet, & friendly. Although several of the buffet dishes were tasty, they were not hot enough, and the chef's wizardry was not totally on display. We are, however, anxious to try one of the regular dinners. The setting is nice -- a restored historic inn -- and the setting is pretty. We'll be back.Special Features:
- not great. People were niceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/31/2013not great. People were nice and the town was cute but not what we were hoping for.
- Everything about the LafayetteFoodieQDined on 3/9/2013Everything about the Lafayette was wonderful. Their pork dish was one of the best my husband and I had ever tasted. The entire dinner was so enjoyable we went back the next morning for their Sunday brunch which was equally great dining experience.Special Features:
- Great dining in wonderful settingOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/24/2013Don't be accidentally misled by all the "Burgers Done Well" signs (although I'm sure they have great burgers). This is a wonderful fine dining experience! Check out their full menus on their website. I've had the filet mignon (your pick of 2, 3, or 4 cuts), the lambshank, the flat iron steak, the cajun pasta, and a number of other entrees, all of which were cooked perfectly. I've only had the vegetable ravioli appetizer, but it was also superb. The wine selections are great, and the service (invariably the bubbly and helpful Erin) was outstanding. The restaurant itself is a very romantic 1840 building with great ambience in either the dining room or pub. I love this place!Special Features: