109 Washington Street (Route 1)
Foxboro, MA 02035Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.lafayettehouse.com/
- Phone: (508) 543-5344
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:30am - 5:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday - Satday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm Tavern Monday - Sunday 11:30 - 9:00
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Continental, American
- Executive Chef: Ron Young
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area (patio only), Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: "Events by Lafayette" provides offsite catering and event planning for Weddings, Corporate Events, Office parties, Private parties,special occasions and family gatherings for up to 1200 guests. Call for a customized menu to suit your needs. Visit our website for a list of venues and menus! Let us "Cater to your Needs!"
- Entertainment: Live entertainment Friday and Saturday nights from 7:30pm - 11:30pm in the Pub!
- Special Events: Private dinning rooms fro all of your private and corporate events
A word from Lafayette House
Lafayette House is conveniently located on Route One in Foxboro just south of Gillette Stadium and Patriot Place with easy access to Routes 95 and 495. Established in 1784, this historic landmark was once a Tavern and Inn that hosted General Lafayette, General Washington, Benjamin Franklin and many other distinguished guests. You'll want to explore the cozy dining rooms warmed by fireplaces and have a drink in the Pub at the oldest stand up bar in America! Traditional American Continental Cuisine is served in generous portions combined with a warm, colonial atmosphere that is reminiscent of a time when a great dinner experience satisfied the soul as well as your appetite! Generations of our Customers know that impeccable Quality, Service and Standards still live at Lafayette House after 224 years..."Come Make History with Us!"Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
Lafayette House - Best Restaurants in Foxboro ›
Lafayette House reviews from OpenTable diners
44 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (22)romantic (18)neighborhood gem (17)good for groups (12)fit for foodies (6)great for lunch (6)notable wine list (6)vibrant bar scene (4)great for brunch (3)great for outdoor dining (2)late-night find (1)hot spot (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Friday Night BuffetLHfriendDined on 11/7/2014Two of us enjoyed the Friday night buffet. The food was delicious and the choices were exceptional. I definitely would go back. My only concern is that there were not enough employees working the buffet table: food trays were not replenished frequently enough, several were empty or almost empty. The very courteous pasta and carving station folks had to leave their stations to replenish food items. This caused big backups in those lines, which in turn meant that we had cold food by the time we sat down. Unfortunate because the food tasted great. Staff is expensive, but cold food will result in patrons not returning.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just having dinnerGrandmasandyDined on 10/27/2014I thought for the money the food was good rolls were delicious service was excellent its a neighborhood gem would recommend it very reasonableSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/25/2014All we did was wait. waited for drinks, waited to place our dinner order, waited for salads, the food was divine, waited for the table to be cleared, waited to place our desert order, waited for the deserts, even waited for the check. Would go again and hope the service would be better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Coming backstoughtonsteveDined on 10/18/2014The fact that we came back and will continue to return says it all!Special Features:
- SharonDined on 10/18/2014The service and food were excellent! We enjoyed the colonial decor and the attention paid to us by our waitress and attending staff. We were seated right away and our waitress introduced herself within 3 minutes. Parking was easy, right off of route 1.Special Features:
- An old stand byBirthdayDined on 10/12/2014We have been going to the Lafayette house for many years. Mostly on a special occasion. This time the menu was changed. We ordered the clams casino to share and they were full of sand and tiny. The Ceaser salad looked wonderful. I had the tourneodes of beef with lobster tail. The sauce made it filling but my husbands ahi tuna was a small portion. It was my birthday and he was finally able to get a cake. Nobody sang but that was ok with me. They charged $12 for it. Would think twice about going back.Special Features:
- ReviewOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/10/2014Nice old farmhouse, no one there to greet upon arrival, you need walk to a reception desk two rooms away from the front door. Half full restaurant and they sat us next to a wait station. I asked to be moved and received this response, "this is our best table"...really, who enjoys sitting near a wait station and/or kitchen? Took too long to greet us and take our drink order. Apps were good, they waited until we finished our apps to take our food order so that left us sitting there too long. Never came back after dropping off the food so I wasn't able to order another overpriced budlight bottle @$4/bottle. The waitress came back to clear away plates and offered dessert. $6 dessert menu! Then we again waited to pay for way too long.
- Historic InnlauraeatsoutDined on 10/4/2014The main draw to this restaurant is it's historic nature. Established in 1784, at least partially from a stable, they claim that not only Lafayette, but Washington and Franklin visited there. The restaurant is cozy and warm. The staff is very friendly, the service is quick without rushing. The food was good and hearty but perhaps a little uninspired. My cousin and I had steaks (filet mignon and ribeye); both were cooked well. The sides of green beans and baked potato were, well, green beans and baked potato. The wine list was quite extensive including some bottles out of reach of my wallet. Overall a nice restaurant with a great atmosphere.Special Features:
- Not as good as It used to beDisappointedDined on 10/4/2014We met friends there to have a nice quiet dinner. They had a band [playing that night, so there goes the "quiet" part/ We have been there many times but the food Saturday night was not at all up to par. It was quiet un-enjoyable. It came out cold. We sent 3 out of 4 meal back and they still came back ALMOST warm. I don't think we'll be back.
- Forgetten jemSheilaVIPDined on 10/3/2014Years ago we dinned at the LaFayette House on a regular basis. But as life got more hectic we started to eat at chain restaurants. When I saw the La Fayette house on Open- Table I thought why not? I am so happy to say that our dinning experience was wonderful and plan to return there in a couple of weeks. Thanks to open - table I am reminded that there are some wonderful local established restaurants where customer service is a priority.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quaint and comfortablelstracyVIPDined on 10/2/2014The restaurant itself is in need of updates, but otherwise clean, quaint and comfortable. The filet was very good, as was the salad. We will return. Overall experience was possitive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too many flies!!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/14/2014We went for early Sunday afternoon dinner. There was no one else in the room, yet the hostess seated us right beside the kitchen door. We were seriously annoyed by flies all during the meal. We even commented to the waitress that the flies were unbearable, but all she said was that they had flypaper up in the kitchen! The place is a charming old restaurant, the food was quite good, the prices reasonable, but really, the flies ruined it for me.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very nice and relaxingLorianneDined on 9/3/2014We were celebrating our 54th wedding anniversary. The restaurant had a nice décor, old interior but very nicely done. The food was great and we had dessert which we never do, but after special occasion, it was to die for caramel nut torte. Would love to go back againSpecial Features:
- Excellent and attentive serviceReneVIPDined on 8/30/2014We had a lovely dinner and evening at the Lafayette House. Haven't been there in many years and it was a great evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My BirthdayspydogDined on 8/27/2014I went at night to celebrate my birthday. The waitress gave me full attention. Occasionally asking if I needed anything or if myeal was ok. The selection of food is fabulous. I noticed there were outdoor tables although we ate inside. Disappointed that Prime rib was not offered on Wed night. We were told that on Friday nights they will be starting a buffet but call for details. It is a historical building.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- i70inmycupsDined on 8/23/2014I,ve been to Lafayette many times and enjoyed it , however my recent visit was very disappointing, food was only fair, presentation poor, and sorry to say i would not recommend this restaurant.
- JagJimDined on 8/2/2014One of my all-time favorites. I've been going to Lafayette House for over 40 yearsgreat food great atmosphere. Ideal for private functions. Had my parents 50th anniversary here and everything was perfectSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Layfaytte HouseCheryllVIPDined on 8/1/2014I had not been here for many years and we were on our way to Patriot's Place to a movie. Certainly not the restaurant it used to be. Very disappointed in quality of food.Special Features:
- The following 404 reviews are from the Lafayette House reviews archive.
- mayaDined on 7/19/2014We thought the food was very good and the service was outstanding. I particularly like the New England feel and history of the restaurant itself.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- primothediningrmDined on 7/12/2014All around this place is great especially if you love great food & enjoy it in a 230 yr old historical building with significant historical back ground. The staff are very friendly. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedAnnieDined on 6/28/2014I doubt that we'll come back again! The food was tasteless and the portions small for the price. When we told the waitress that we were not very happy with the meals she made no effort to make things better!
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/27/2014Ambiance is very nice. Food was great but I wouldn't get the buffet again. Too much waiting for plates and prime rib when it wasn't even very busy for the buffet. Our waitress was nice and efficient enough.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not so greatJessieDined on 6/15/2014Went for Father's Day Very nice waitress explained they were shorthanded...Nice cheese and crackers to start Blue cheese dressing on salads was great, but all of our entrees were just o.k
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/15/2014There was one server and she got 2 out of 4 meals wrong.
- Lafayette Housemod3Dined on 6/7/2014We went to the Lafayette House to celebrate my wife's birthday and were treated very well. This is the same restaurant where we got engaged some fifty six years ago.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/1/2014We sat by the window in the dining room for dinner. The restaurant was very warm and stuffy with a musty-like smell. They didn't have the AC on (it was early June), and no air was moving. Although the food was good, my husband and I felt ill as we left the restaurant and couldn't wait to get outside and get some air.Special Features:
- No rush to go back !rewsterDined on 5/17/2014No lobster on a Sat night.However, it was a little suspect when I asked if there was any lobster available for the Veal Oscar and was told "yes". I was worried about when that had arrived, since it couldn't be fresh that day. The prime rib I settled on was ordered rare and came medium rare and was not as tender as one would like. My dining companion ordered a medium rare Grilled New York Sirloin. The steak that arrived was about 3/4 of an inch thick, well done and had a gray color ! It didn't look like any New York Sirloin I've ever seen. It was sent back and returned cooked medium with the same gray color. Add to the above screwing up the drink order and the evening ended up as a lot of money spent for very little enjoyment.
- DisappointingFrequentdinerDined on 5/11/2014Went for Mother's Day. My wife's baked stuffed shrimp was unsatisfactory. Shrimp were small and slightly fishy. Stuffing was too large. My prime rib was ok.. Little taste, but good cut of beef. Son's chicken cilantro was good. Initially seated in very warm area of restaurant. Approached manager, who initially ignored me. After a strong "excuse me", manager responded stating that other/ nicer side was same temperature. After going in other room, it was clearly cooler. Service was good; however, it seemed that meals may have been ore cooked, as food was served almost immediately after the salads were brought to the table.
- Not What I rememberedilikefoodVIPDined on 5/11/2014Having gone to the Lafayette House for my 21st birthday and other special occasions over the years, I was expecting a wonderful New England meal and it was just ordinary, granted, it was mother's day dinner. I expected to be able to order off the usual dinner menu. There was a "special" dinner menu for the evening. It was somewhat limited and all inclusive with no choice of appetizers. but fruit cup and standard salad. I could tell my mother was upset by the prices and I assured her it was okay to order what she wanted. The server was overworked. I reserved through Open Table and there was a Mother's Day welcome on the Lafayette House landing page but no mention of the limited menu. If there was I would have chosen another restaurant.Special Features:
- well worth itNH4kidsdadDined on 5/11/2014We were at the Lafayette House for Mother's Day dinner. It was perfect. Staff was very accommodating. We are not in the area very much but have been here before and it never lets us down.Special Features:
- Bob's reviewBmacDined on 5/11/2014Went here for Mother's Day. Because of the turnover from brunch we were seated in the front room by our selves (party of 5). Although it would have been enjoy being with other people the room was very quiet so we were able have nice quiet conversation. Everything was cooked properly with the exception of my wife's filet. It was cooked medium when she specifically as for medium (pink center). They removed it from our bill and provided two complementary glasses of wine. Erin did an exceptional job waiting our table. She was prompt and very attentive. Over all an 8 out of 10 rating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mother's Day brunchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/11/2014I had 1230 reservations and they were so behind. They told us twice to go back to the check in area to see if our table was ready after a half hour had passed our reservation time. the man seating patrons acted very unprofessional. he was barking at staff members without any consideration of waiting customers. 1 beverage was included in the brunch buffet so I tried to order a mimosa and I was told they were all out of champagne, and been out since 9am. It was not even offered to be discounted off the price. Each person was given a glass of ice water and upon sitting at the table i noticed there was pink lipstick on my glass. I have nothing bad to say about the food. It was all quite tasty. The buffet was kept up well, refills every fewSpecial Features:
- Mother's Day BrunchNanaDined on 5/11/2014The Mother's Day Buffet had way more types of food on it than I was expecting. The food was all good, and the restaurant has a nice feel to it, being an antique building. However, the vintage feel only goes so far when your doorways are so low many had to stoop to go through. When you have to walk to the buffet, balance your plates, and watch your head at the same time it's a little nerve wracking. I'm not tall but I sat near the low entrance to the buffet room and couldn't help waiting for someone to hit their head. One man took a really good hit. Interestingly, they do seem to sit larger groups sooner than couples, and we had to speak up regarding the time of our reservation. All in all, we had a really nice day.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mothers Day MessOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/11/2014Restaurant overbooked by hundreds. Had 11 am reservation, not seated until noon. Owner was doing seating and hearing frustrations of dozens of angry persons waiting to be seated. Disaster. Food okay.
- Skip the Mother's Day BrunchJohnnyMacBostonDined on 5/11/2014Had a 9am reservation. They had a year to plan for Mother's Day, but the buffet was not fully operational until 9:25. Food was late coming out, so why wasn't it hot? French toast and waffles were room temp at best. A few of the servers were rude. When we sat down, a gentleman took our drink order, which was fine. Then a young lady stopped by to take our drink order - and was annoyed when we told her we ordered from the other guy. She said (with an attitude), "ahhh, he's the bus boy". The lady setting up the buffet was also rude - one of my kids wanted butter for his bagel so my wife asked her for some. The woman looked at my wife's plate of food and said, "really, you need butter?", and never brought us any. Way overpriced, poor value.
- Classic New England Inn and TavernSeafoodpaloozaDined on 5/10/2014Lafayette House is one of our favorite restaurants. The quality of the food and service is consistent every visit. There signature appetizer-Oysters Lafayette-are delicious and always served piping hot. The beef dishes here are excellent. The culinary staff really know how to get a crisp sear on a steak and the prime rib is very good. We prefer to eat in the dining room with the fireplace. The pub area is also nice but a little noisy. Service is always pleasant and efficient. The atmosphere and decor is classic New England Inn.Special Features:
- Not BadMangaBraintreeDined on 5/9/2014Restaurant was not bad. I had fish and could tell that it was either over cooked or had been frozen previously. I would return but would order something different. I ordered the chicken and was there at 6 pm and they were out of chicken. All in all it was enjoyable.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Average at besttsankDined on 5/8/2014We went for a birthday celebration making a reservation for 8 on OpenTable. I had updated the count to ten the morning before. However when we got there the hostess gave me attitude that she didn't have it. Being that there was only one other party in the whole restaurant I guess I was taken back that it was an issue or any attitude was given. That being said, the server was nice and attentive, but the food was average to fair at best. The sirloin steak was all of 3/4 of an inch thick. One of our party asked for something from the bar menu, but was told no. When we left (at 7:45) the other party was gone and there was NO one in the bar. Not sure how they stay open. Sad that this is what the Lafayette has become = irrelevant.....
- An AnomalyEpicurean45VIPDined on 5/3/2014We have been to Lafayette House several times and enjoyed it. and I hate to say it but this time was a disappointment. My wife had the herb roasted chicken. She said it was incredibly bland and the potatoes, while coated in an orange color, lacked flavor as well. I'm afraid the medallions of beef with shrimp was left sitting on a counter for several minutes before it was served. The meat was completely dried out, the shrimp cold and dry, the asparagus was uncooked (not al dente - uncooked) and the mashed potatoes were cold. Balsamic vinegar was poured (as opposed to drizzled) over the entire dish - not sure why. Ron Young is a very conscientious restauranteur so I believe that this will go down as a one-off experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It was Easter...foodexplorerDined on 4/20/2014The restaurant is beautiful and seasonally decorated for the holiday. Easy to see why it was a destination spot and packed! Considering how busy it was, the staff was very friendly. The limited holiday menu had great choices and the house salad dressing was amazing. I would go back just for that! But maybe not on a holiday.Special Features: