109 Washington Street (Route 1)
Foxboro, MA 02035Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.lafayettehouse.com/
- Phone: 5085435344
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:30am - 5:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday - Satday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm Tavern Monday - Sunday 11:30 - 9:00
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Continental, American
- Executive Chef: Ron Young
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area (patio only), Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: "Events by Lafayette" provides offsite catering and event planning for Weddings, Corporate Events, Office parties, Private parties,special occasions and family gatherings for up to 1200 guests. Call for a customized menu to suit your needs. Visit our website for a list of venues and menus! Let us "Cater to your Needs!"
- Entertainment: Live entertainment Friday and Saturday nights from 7:30pm - 11:30pm in the Pub!
- Special Events: Private dinning rooms fro all of your private and corporate events
A word from Lafayette House
Lafayette House is conveniently located on Route One in Foxboro just south of Gillette Stadium and Patriot Place with easy access to Routes 95 and 495. Established in 1784, this historic landmark was once a Tavern and Inn that hosted General Lafayette, General Washington, Benjamin Franklin and many other distinguished guests. You'll want to explore the cozy dining rooms warmed by fireplaces and have a drink in the Pub at the oldest stand up bar in America! Traditional American Continental Cuisine is served in generous portions combined with a warm, colonial atmosphere that is reminiscent of a time when a great dinner experience satisfied the soul as well as your appetite! Generations of our Customers know that impeccable Quality, Service and Standards still live at Lafayette House after 224 years..."Come Make History with Us!"Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Lafayette House reviews from OpenTable diners
48 reviews since April 30, 2014
- Ambiance3.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (20)good for groups (14)great for brunch (8)romantic (8)neighborhood gem (6)fit for foodies (5)great for outdoor dining (5)great for lunch (4)scenic view (3)kid-friendly (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/23/2014I,ve been to Lafayette many times and enjoyed it , however my recent visit was very disappointing, food was only fair, presentation poor, and sorry to say i would not recommend this restaurant.
- JagJimDined on 8/2/2014One of my all-time favorites. I've been going to Lafayette House for over 40 yearsgreat food great atmosphere. Ideal for private functions. Had my parents 50th anniversary here and everything was perfectSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Layfaytte HouseCheryllVIPDined on 8/1/2014I had not been here for many years and we were on our way to Patriot's Place to a movie. Certainly not the restaurant it used to be. Very disappointed in quality of food.Special Features:
- mayaDined on 7/19/2014We thought the food was very good and the service was outstanding. I particularly like the New England feel and history of the restaurant itself.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- primothediningrmDined on 7/12/2014All around this place is great especially if you love great food & enjoy it in a 230 yr old historical building with significant historical back ground. The staff are very friendly. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedAnnieDined on 6/28/2014I doubt that we'll come back again! The food was tasteless and the portions small for the price. When we told the waitress that we were not very happy with the meals she made no effort to make things better!
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/27/2014Ambiance is very nice. Food was great but I wouldn't get the buffet again. Too much waiting for plates and prime rib when it wasn't even very busy for the buffet. Our waitress was nice and efficient enough.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not so greatJessieDined on 6/15/2014Went for Father's Day Very nice waitress explained they were shorthanded...Nice cheese and crackers to start Blue cheese dressing on salads was great, but all of our entrees were just o.k
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/15/2014There was one server and she got 2 out of 4 meals wrong.
- Lafayette Housemod3Dined on 6/7/2014We went to the Lafayette House to celebrate my wife's birthday and were treated very well. This is the same restaurant where we got engaged some fifty six years ago.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/1/2014We sat by the window in the dining room for dinner. The restaurant was very warm and stuffy with a musty-like smell. They didn't have the AC on (it was early June), and no air was moving. Although the food was good, my husband and I felt ill as we left the restaurant and couldn't wait to get outside and get some air.Special Features:
- No rush to go back !rewsterDined on 5/17/2014No lobster on a Sat night.However, it was a little suspect when I asked if there was any lobster available for the Veal Oscar and was told "yes". I was worried about when that had arrived, since it couldn't be fresh that day. The prime rib I settled on was ordered rare and came medium rare and was not as tender as one would like. My dining companion ordered a medium rare Grilled New York Sirloin. The steak that arrived was about 3/4 of an inch thick, well done and had a gray color ! It didn't look like any New York Sirloin I've ever seen. It was sent back and returned cooked medium with the same gray color. Add to the above screwing up the drink order and the evening ended up as a lot of money spent for very little enjoyment.
- DisappointingFrequentdinerDined on 5/11/2014Went for Mother's Day. My wife's baked stuffed shrimp was unsatisfactory. Shrimp were small and slightly fishy. Stuffing was too large. My prime rib was ok.. Little taste, but good cut of beef. Son's chicken cilantro was good. Initially seated in very warm area of restaurant. Approached manager, who initially ignored me. After a strong "excuse me", manager responded stating that other/ nicer side was same temperature. After going in other room, it was clearly cooler. Service was good; however, it seemed that meals may have been ore cooked, as food was served almost immediately after the salads were brought to the table.
- Not What I rememberedilikefoodVIPDined on 5/11/2014Having gone to the Lafayette House for my 21st birthday and other special occasions over the years, I was expecting a wonderful New England meal and it was just ordinary, granted, it was mother's day dinner. I expected to be able to order off the usual dinner menu. There was a "special" dinner menu for the evening. It was somewhat limited and all inclusive with no choice of appetizers. but fruit cup and standard salad. I could tell my mother was upset by the prices and I assured her it was okay to order what she wanted. The server was overworked. I reserved through Open Table and there was a Mother's Day welcome on the Lafayette House landing page but no mention of the limited menu. If there was I would have chosen another restaurant.Special Features:
- well worth itNH4kidsdadDined on 5/11/2014We were at the Lafayette House for Mother's Day dinner. It was perfect. Staff was very accommodating. We are not in the area very much but have been here before and it never lets us down.Special Features:
- Bob's reviewBmacDined on 5/11/2014Went here for Mother's Day. Because of the turnover from brunch we were seated in the front room by our selves (party of 5). Although it would have been enjoy being with other people the room was very quiet so we were able have nice quiet conversation. Everything was cooked properly with the exception of my wife's filet. It was cooked medium when she specifically as for medium (pink center). They removed it from our bill and provided two complementary glasses of wine. Erin did an exceptional job waiting our table. She was prompt and very attentive. Over all an 8 out of 10 rating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mother's Day brunchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/11/2014I had 1230 reservations and they were so behind. They told us twice to go back to the check in area to see if our table was ready after a half hour had passed our reservation time. the man seating patrons acted very unprofessional. he was barking at staff members without any consideration of waiting customers. 1 beverage was included in the brunch buffet so I tried to order a mimosa and I was told they were all out of champagne, and been out since 9am. It was not even offered to be discounted off the price. Each person was given a glass of ice water and upon sitting at the table i noticed there was pink lipstick on my glass. I have nothing bad to say about the food. It was all quite tasty. The buffet was kept up well, refills every fewSpecial Features:
- Mother's Day BrunchNanaDined on 5/11/2014The Mother's Day Buffet had way more types of food on it than I was expecting. The food was all good, and the restaurant has a nice feel to it, being an antique building. However, the vintage feel only goes so far when your doorways are so low many had to stoop to go through. When you have to walk to the buffet, balance your plates, and watch your head at the same time it's a little nerve wracking. I'm not tall but I sat near the low entrance to the buffet room and couldn't help waiting for someone to hit their head. One man took a really good hit. Interestingly, they do seem to sit larger groups sooner than couples, and we had to speak up regarding the time of our reservation. All in all, we had a really nice day.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mothers Day MessOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/11/2014Restaurant overbooked by hundreds. Had 11 am reservation, not seated until noon. Owner was doing seating and hearing frustrations of dozens of angry persons waiting to be seated. Disaster. Food okay.
- Skip the Mother's Day BrunchJohnnyMacBostonDined on 5/11/2014Had a 9am reservation. They had a year to plan for Mother's Day, but the buffet was not fully operational until 9:25. Food was late coming out, so why wasn't it hot? French toast and waffles were room temp at best. A few of the servers were rude. When we sat down, a gentleman took our drink order, which was fine. Then a young lady stopped by to take our drink order - and was annoyed when we told her we ordered from the other guy. She said (with an attitude), "ahhh, he's the bus boy". The lady setting up the buffet was also rude - one of my kids wanted butter for his bagel so my wife asked her for some. The woman looked at my wife's plate of food and said, "really, you need butter?", and never brought us any. Way overpriced, poor value.
- Classic New England Inn and TavernOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/10/2014Lafayette House is one of our favorite restaurants. The quality of the food and service is consistent every visit. There signature appetizer-Oysters Lafayette-are delicious and always served piping hot. The beef dishes here are excellent. The culinary staff really know how to get a crisp sear on a steak and the prime rib is very good. We prefer to eat in the dining room with the fireplace. The pub area is also nice but a little noisy. Service is always pleasant and efficient. The atmosphere and decor is classic New England Inn.Special Features:
- Not BadMangaBraintreeDined on 5/9/2014Restaurant was not bad. I had fish and could tell that it was either over cooked or had been frozen previously. I would return but would order something different. I ordered the chicken and was there at 6 pm and they were out of chicken. All in all it was enjoyable.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Average at besttsankDined on 5/8/2014We went for a birthday celebration making a reservation for 8 on OpenTable. I had updated the count to ten the morning before. However when we got there the hostess gave me attitude that she didn't have it. Being that there was only one other party in the whole restaurant I guess I was taken back that it was an issue or any attitude was given. That being said, the server was nice and attentive, but the food was average to fair at best. The sirloin steak was all of 3/4 of an inch thick. One of our party asked for something from the bar menu, but was told no. When we left (at 7:45) the other party was gone and there was NO one in the bar. Not sure how they stay open. Sad that this is what the Lafayette has become = irrelevant.....
- An AnomalyEpicurean45Dined on 5/3/2014We have been to Lafayette House several times and enjoyed it. and I hate to say it but this time was a disappointment. My wife had the herb roasted chicken. She said it was incredibly bland and the potatoes, while coated in an orange color, lacked flavor as well. I'm afraid the medallions of beef with shrimp was left sitting on a counter for several minutes before it was served. The meat was completely dried out, the shrimp cold and dry, the asparagus was uncooked (not al dente - uncooked) and the mashed potatoes were cold. Balsamic vinegar was poured (as opposed to drizzled) over the entire dish - not sure why. Ron Young is a very conscientious restauranteur so I believe that this will go down as a one-off experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 383 reviews are from the Lafayette House reviews archive.
- It was Easter...foodexplorerDined on 4/20/2014The restaurant is beautiful and seasonally decorated for the holiday. Easy to see why it was a destination spot and packed! Considering how busy it was, the staff was very friendly. The limited holiday menu had great choices and the house salad dressing was amazing. I would go back just for that! But maybe not on a holiday.Special Features:
- Bad Servicegman595Dined on 4/20/2014Food was great. Service was terrible. We waited for 15 minutes until a waitress approached us for our drink order. Then we waited a long time for our drinks. We waited approximately 45 minutes for our food. I believe the waitress was overwhelmed. We had a 2:30 reservation for dinner didn't get seated until 2:45. Brunch was just getting over at 2pm. That could have been the problem because of the turnover. Will not go back for dinner on a holiday but would go for brunch. Last year's Mother's Day brunch was great.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 4/20/2014had 2pm reservations on easter sunday. was seated at 245 after inquiring twice. was seated at the door even though there were other tables. waitress had to be told to serve our table , and her attitude was poor. food was excellent. have eaten there at least 20 times in the past and will still return again
- Easter BrunchbluebellDined on 4/20/2014We enjoyed our small family gathering for Easter Brunch @ The Lafayette House in Foxboro. The decorations with Easter theme were very homelike and nice! The brunch was perfect! It was all laid out so very nicely with selections of breakfast items like bagels & fruit, omelets and luncheon items such as chicken marsala and salmon with terikayi sauce. The dessert display was spectacular as well with chocolate cake, fuit tarts, cookies and cupcakes galore! We enjoyed the food very much! However, the drinks (such as Mimosa) were not 'dressed up' as is usual with slices of fruit. It is the little touches that make the difference to the customers' palate and satisfaction!Special Features:
- Easter BrunchEaster2014Dined on 4/20/2014Large buffet for the money. Food was bland and they ran out of many breakfast items early for 1:30 pm reservation. Desserts were also disappointing. Servers were pleasant and attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Family RestaurantMagnificoDined on 4/20/2014We really enjoyed the Easter Brunch. We will certainly be back. Thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Buffet RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/20/2014Restaurant is a buffet environment. If you seeking a quiet dinner for 2 this is not the place. Couldn't rate the food because we left for another restaurant Also in your survey Selection 2 you need to change the word under the first option "Great for Bunch" to Great for BRUNCHSpecial Features:
- Easter BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/20/2014I went here for Easter brunch with my 5 & 7 year old. They sat us in the room directly to the right of the check in podium. The table we had was in between 2 other tables going the opposite way. Very cramped. Then you had to walk through groups of people to get to the room where the food was. Once inside that room there was chaos. The pastry table didn't seem to have any one direction which people were going. I felt like I was losing my kids during the whole process. The eggs looked like they had something mixed in with them but after having them on my plate it looked like all it was, was scrapings of over cooked eggs. The brunch was over priced. $29 for me and $13 for each of the kids. I will not go back to this restaurant again.
- 22annivDined on 4/20/2014Lafayette House was great..... I had to add another 5 people to our already large group the morning of EASTER brunch and they did their best to accommodate us. We did have to wait about 45 minutes from our reservation time due to us wanting to be in the same room but they gave us several other options if we wanted to be seated sooner. It was also great that they kept replenishing the buffet table until the end of the brunch hour (2 PM) rather than at noon time...as they used to do a couple of years ago. We also appreciated the fact that we were not "rushed out". Very pleasant place to have a Sunday brunch. The buffet was excellent too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never again for brunchSkkgDined on 4/20/2014Between the food and ambiance we would have been better at Country Kitchen Buffett for half of the price.
- Easter BrunchDaveMDined on 4/20/2014We had a very enjoyable meal and felt the array of food and quality of food was terrific.Special Features:
- easter brunchcupcakes65Dined on 4/20/2014Was very crowded, the room we were in, we were packed in like sardines and had to squish between diner's seats to get to buffet. It was not very comfortable trying to eat when people are hitting your seat all time. Food was good and our waitress was nice. I would not go on a holiday again unless it was the earliest seating when there are not many patrons yet.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/18/2014Very enjoyable evening. We ate in the Pub which was kid friendly as we had 8 year old twins with us. A little bit noisy but that is to be expected in a Pub setting.Special Features:
- A lovely nightrestarauntconnoisserDined on 4/16/2014This night was a date for my boyfriend's birthday. I wanted to take him somewhere with excellent food and a charming, quiet atmosphere. All of the above were achieved! The veal was delicious and the filet mignon was cooked perfectly in the bernaise sauce. After struggling to get the cooked lobster out of the tail, our friendly waitress took it back to the cook who flawlessly removed the tender meat from its shell. I liked that the service did not move fast so we felt that we had to choke down our course to make room on the table for the next stuff being brought out. If you're looking for a relaxing dinner where you have plenty of time to digest in between courses, this is the place. If you want a quick meal, find another place.Special Features:
- A tale of two restaurantsPickfordDined on 4/9/2014Lafayette house contains a full bar and restaurant. The bar looks like a local hang out with little to no effort put into it for the out of town customr while the restaurant has a formal setting. The formal setting looks like it was last updated in the early 1980's. The food is good but not worth the high prices. The place has the oddest bathroom set up I have ever seen.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We had a nice waitress….but...BrindineDined on 4/5/2014I can't think of anything but criticisms: terrible ambiance - very bright lighting, dining room decoration (for Easter) that was suited for a second grade classroom with cardboard cut-outs of baskets, Easter eggs, Easter Bunny etc. We were seated next to (closed) doors to some kind of event room(?) where the music was so loud we could hear the words of songs being played quite clearly, though am not sure of it was live music or played by a DJ. The food was more than disappointing. The fish didn't flake, but instead crumbled. Portions were small for the price. I don't like being served dinner with all of the courses already on the plate - like cafeteria service. Wont go back.