227 East 67th Street
Between 2nd & 3rd Aves
New York, NY 10065-6002Neighborhood:
Upper East Side
FrenchPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.labsinthe.com/
- Phone: 2127944950
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Sunday 12:00 pm-3:00 pm—currently closed for Sunday brunch until after Labor Day; Lunch: Monday–Saturday 12:00 pm-3:00 pm; Dinner: Monday–Saturday 5:30 pm-10:30 pm; Sunday: 5:30 pm -10:00 pm. Holiday hours may be different, please inquire. Closed Christmas Day and New Year's Day.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French, Contemporary French
- Executive Chef: Jean-Michel Bergougnoux
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: With Chef Jean-Michel Bergougnoux and our manager you can customize your menu and personalize every detail of your next party, be it for two people or many.
- Private Party Facilities: The 120-seat restaurant can accommodate private parties. We also offer a back room which is open to the main dining area for up to fifty people.
- Private Party Contact: Karim El Sherif 2127944950
- Special Events: Three-course lunch Monday-Friday, $27.50.
A word from L'Absinthe Brasserie
L'Absinthe Brasserie, nestled in the Upper East Side near Sotheby's, the antique show at the Armory and Madison Avenue shopping, is the most authentic turn-of-the-century Parisian brasserie (Top Brasserie in the Zagat survey). It is the perfect place for a cocktail at our zinc-topped wooden bar. Then be pampered in our glamorous Parisian dining room, ensuring you and your guests the enjoyment of Chef Jean-Michel Bergougnoux's light and flawless cuisine which consists of French Contemporary and updated classics. And do not forget to complement your meal with a selection from our extensive, refined and awarded wine list. Please note: only special prix-fixe menu available on certain holidays—please call to confirm details.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
L'Absinthe Brasserie reviews from OpenTable diners
62 reviews since May 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (40)special occasion (23)romantic (21)fit for foodies (21)great for lunch (12)notable wine list (8)great for brunch (7)late-night find (7)good for groups (4)vibrant bar scene (3)great for outdoor dining (2)hot spot (2)scenic view (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Perfect PlaceDinerJJDined on 9/8/2014This brasserie would fit in Paris or Rome., but luckily for us, is perfect for those able to dine out in NYC. My cell phone reception was terrible during my call requesting a bit earlier seating, but the Maitre'D was polite and patient and arranged for it. Upon arriving we were greeted right away, asked if the seating was ok, and we gazed into a warmly lit restaurant with beautiful ambience. The staff was helpful without being at all pushy...and as we all enjoyed the menu items offered - an adult son said it was the best salmon he'd ever tasted! After we ate, we were given as much time as we wanted to visit, and upon leaving were given a very special thank you from the Maitre'D. I cannot imagine a nicer restaurant experience.Special Features:
- Good food poorly trained wait staffAndieVIPDined on 9/6/2014The best sole, and so copious. Unfortunately, the waitress was annoying with her comments, slang, and scraping and stacking dishes. Obviously a problem of lack of training.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- L'Absinthe--Great FindNYCDelightDined on 8/17/2014We had such a great time at this restaurant. No rush, not hurried, all staff courteous and helpful. Would definitely dine there again. The food was amazing. Just enough to fill one's tummy but not overeat.Special Features:
- 3rd strikeJerryDined on 8/11/2014My family has enjoyed L'Absinthe for many years. In more recent times it is evident to us that there is a serious lack of attention to food preparation and quality. Over the past year we agreed to give this once favorite restaurant another try. Here are the results of our three visits.. Sept '13...one of the soft shelled crabs hidden under vegetation was cooked crispy black. May '14...the duck leg was seriously under-cooked....it was pink near the bone. August '14...cream for coffee was 'off'. Waiter was informed...brought another container of 'off' cream. Dessert whipped cream was 'off'. Vegetable in pasta dish under-cooked. We're sad to report that we'll not return.
- GeneVIPDined on 7/29/2014Our favorite foods were not on the menu. There were only one or two tables taken it was like eating in a morgue.but we still love it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent EverythingStevieMacVIPDined on 7/23/2014Best tartare in town! Amazing Service. Like going to ParisSpecial Features:
- Excellent ExperienceManhattaniteDined on 7/17/2014Had a very fine meal. The service was warm, welcoming and attentive. I've eaten there many times in the past and recommend it highly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent EverythingStevieMacVIPDined on 7/16/2014A trip to Paris-every time! Food, Service, ambience.....everything is awesomeSpecial Features:
- French at its bestArtiePDined on 7/10/2014If you are looking for a great place to enjoy an excellent French meal with outstanding service, you must go to L'Asinthe Brasserie. It's your loss if you do not.Special Features:
- Amazing serviceElizaDined on 7/8/2014Met a friend whom I had not spoken to in awhile and we very slowly ate dinner between catching up. Service was very attentive and never interfered or rushed us as we closed the place down. Food is always very good here and I would definitely go here again.Special Features:
- Gone downhill.PupsVIPDined on 7/7/2014This restaurant once had good food. Not any more. We were a party of four and each of us had awful appetizers and entrees that stayed on the plate. The service is also pretty awful and slip shod. The wine list has poor choices.Special Features:
- diningdiva1VIPDined on 7/2/2014Limited and dull menu. The quality of the food was pedestrian and disappointing. The atmosphere has great potential but it was dead with only 3 or 4 tables occupied, one by the owner.Special Features:
- Jose & Team L'AbsintheOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/17/2014Are ALL amazing! Thanks to you all for always treating me so well. ~ JenniferSpecial Features:
- Bit of Paris on UESfoodievickieVIPDined on 6/17/2014What a lovely find on the UES. Had a quiet early dinner before show at the Armory. Excellent foie gras. and moules. Decent wine by the glass prices. Will go again when in the neighborhood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a bit of Paris on east 67 streetnewyorker10021VIPDined on 6/14/2014Coq au vin excellent, so was the fish. Loved it all. good service, good food. Isn't that why we were there? gets noisy , go early or late for quiet time.Special Features:
- DowngradedEclecticgourmetVIPDined on 6/14/2014I must confess to major disappointment at our meal. Thankfully we ordered the pizette as a shared appetizer because the burger and the mussels were tasteless. No one asked why we hadn't finished our meals and we had to ask more than once for our check as the clocked ticked closer to a previously announced theater deadline. I will not go back. How sad.
- FoodieDinner1Dined on 6/11/2014Food was great and the service was wonderful. Noisy but fun.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MayoVIPDined on 6/7/2014We were a party of six having an early dinner before the theater. The restaurant was lovely - decorated with big vases of flowering branches. It immediately reminded me of a bistro in Paris. The smell of gougere wafted through the room. I arrived before the others and had a glass of rose while I waited. The menu offered many wonderful options and everyone was happy with their choices. My dinner, a filet of sole, was beautifully cooked. All the others loved what they had ordered. Unfortunately, we didn't have time for dessert. We all remarked that we would definitely go back to this restaurant again.Special Features:
- Outstanding DinnerDennis1952Dined on 6/6/2014A great neighborhood gem with outstanding food and quiet ambience.Special Features:
- filippo47VIPDined on 6/5/2014Always reliable. Great food, excellent service, wonderful ambiance. Lunch is the best, as at night it can get a little noisy.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/3/2014everything was good, but too noisy, too close together and too expensive considering neighborhood and area
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 6/2/2014Hadn't been here in a while. Excellent French cuisine, both classic and nouvelle (listed on opposing sides of the menu). Excellent for pre-theater before Shakespeare at the Armory.
- No room for dinersjohnVIPDined on 5/29/2014With a six o'clock reservation, we were greeted rather poorly, placed in a back room with a large table filled with screaming children. We requested another table in the otherwise empty restaurant but was told that despite our reservation that was not possible. We left, with no effort on the part of the greeter to try and accommodate us. Part of the pleasure of eating at an expensive resturant is being treated well.
- From a FrenchyFirsttryDined on 5/28/2014If you want the ambiance of a Parisian Brasserie, it is perfect. But the food... we were disappointed. First the foie gras as a starter was not seasoned, my husband had to add salt and pepper. A good seasoning is part of the foie gras! It also looked like it seated on the plate for a long time before we got it and the service was fast. I had a mushroom soup and mine is better. Then one of us had meat and the other one had fish, everything was overcooked, even the sweet peas were dry. Red berries for dessert, straight from the fridge, too cold!
- The following 616 reviews are from the L'Absinthe Brasserie reviews archive.
- Comfortable diningOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/18/2014Food acceptable but overpriced.abience and comfort excellent especially for large party. Hospitable for wheel chairs.Special Features:
- overatedDavidDined on 5/16/2014two things lived up to reviews - the prices and the service -- the food was only fair -- we had the worst grand marnier souffle ever
- Labsinthe -fav French BrasseriefoodiefindsDined on 5/6/2014A neighborhood gem with an owner/chef that cc creates French/Alsatian dishes to come back for again and again... Impeccable service staff as well!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- reliable upper east siderdoctoraVIPDined on 4/26/2014L'absinthe should be where restauranteurs go to learn how to run a restaurant. Simple excellent food in quiet neighborhood served in a warm atmosphere. Foie Gras, salmon tartare, poached halibut, and braised rabbit were all top notch. W a great bottle of bordeaux and friendly service- how can u beat that ?Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 4/20/2014Loved the special touches for Easter. Service good considering the place was packed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food always very good. Onfilippo47VIPDined on 4/10/2014Food always very good. On a busy Thursday the kitchen got slammed and we had an unusually long wait for our food. I think that they do overbook. The service is always professional, noise level high. I do usually go at lunchtime and it is Paradise.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chef Change?OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 4/8/2014The food has gotten MUCH better, perhaps a change of chefs?? Good job!!!Special Features:
- Superb meal and servicePinettoVIPDined on 3/26/2014L'Absinthe never disappoints - Wednesday night was excellent in every way from entering until leaving !! I always recomnend it to fnends for the superb food and attenitve service.. Will return soon and often.Special Features:
- Beautiful setting. MediocreOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/22/2014Beautiful setting. Mediocre food, mediocre service. Underwhelming at best. Would not recommend.
- L'Absinthe was a lovely choice2marvelousVIPDined on 3/15/2014L'Absinthe was a lovely choice - enjoyed the food, ambience and service!Special Features:
- Cassoulet was terrific andPatrickDined on 3/15/2014Cassoulet was terrific and worth sseking out as it's on menu alternate weekends during winter months only. Combined with their marvelous crusty baguette and a rich red wine on a frosty, bone chiling day, and you're transported to a warm and cozy place. Do try to get there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still Quiet After All These YearsJackAGordonVIPDined on 3/9/2014I used to go to L'Absinthe quite regularly in the late '90s, but stopped going about a dozen-or so years ago. But this past Sunday we decided to stop in for lunch. The place was eerily quiet, perhaps because the menu was exceptionally limited (I checked the dinner menu and it is your standard to-be-expected bistro fare). However, the food was solid. I had the house-cured herring and then a spinach quiche; my companions had cream-free potato-leek soup and skirt steak. All were solid -- nothing exceptional, but nothing wrong with any of the dishes. The quiche was unusual in that it had more spinach in it than I've ever seen in a quiche. Had a decent '10 Gigondas for $80, and all was well. The service was attentive but not intrusive.
- Would definately go backMACNYDined on 3/5/2014This was a delightful dining experience. The food was very good and service to match. Loved the ambiance. Would definately go back even though I tried to hit new restaurants all the time!Special Features:
- wonderful waitress/hostesswaffleVIPDined on 2/19/2014she made the evening as good as it could possibly be. tough job. 7 of us and was a rock of calm, good information on food and wine. this is our go to place for a wonderful evening to share with family and friendsSpecial Features:
- Valentine'sFromawayVIPDined on 2/14/2014Charming with good food and fine service. We go back again and again and they never disappoint.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very loud and disorganized,OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 2/1/2014very loud and disorganized, food is the only reason I did not walk out of it