Montclair, NJ 07042Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.laboratoriokitchen.com/
- Phone: 9737466100x
- Hours of Operation:
Friday & Saturday 5:00-10:30PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Marco D'Amico
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Farm to Table, Personal wines welcome
A word from Laboratorio Kitchen
Laboratorio Kitchen offers guest a modern atmosphere paired with seasonal food and tender service.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
Laboratorio Kitchen - Best Restaurants in Montclair ›
Laboratorio Kitchen reviews from OpenTable diners
8 reviews since May 4, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (4)special occasion (2)neighborhood gem (2)good for groups (1)romantic (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- Finding its grooveOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/12/2014This is our third or fourth time and Laboratorio Kitchen. In that time the service has improved, the food has remained very good, with the raviolini, the halibut, salmon and tuna entrees being expertly prepared and presented and the deserts simple but delicious. I hope it makes it through the summer as this is a good add to Montclair dining, especially with Culinariane leaving town. Prices seem to have dropped a bit as well. Definitely in the rotation.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Successful ExperimentMitchVIPDined on 7/12/2014Friends recommended Laboratorio Kitchen and we've been passing on the tip since dining there. The food is as at least as good as the best restaurants in Montclair. The wait staff is young and pleasant but inexperienced. The restaurant would benefit by hiring a competent host/hostess to run the front of house.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/28/2014Dined last Saturday night, good meal, good service, concerned the restaurant may not last long. Only one other table was filled while we were there. The menu is limited and despite listing as French, I think it leans closer to Italian roots, much like the chef. Salads and clam appetizer were all good. Three of us had fish entrees and all were cooked perfectly and delicious One had the ribeye and despite the request for medium rare, it was well. Shared chocolate ganache cake for dessert. Portions are on the small side, but satisfying if you care more about flavor than size of the meal. Prices are on the higher side though comparable to Culinariane pricing. All in all, we had a nice meal, but most likely will not return.
- good food - so-so serviceJdjnjDined on 6/21/2014Food was good, not brilliant. Service was willing, but not well trained. Next!
- Little know gemFoodieMontclairDined on 6/7/2014Food was great! Service was just fine. Recently opened. They just need to get the word out. Very good dining experience! Prices while on the expensive side, was well worth it.Special Features:
- Needs more flavor2boysVIPDined on 5/24/2014The restaurant looks beautiful and the service was good, but the food lacks flavor including the Smores dessert special (all entrees and appetizers were bland). In addition, they are expensive and the portions are way way too small. We left unsatisfied and hungry, which is not ok in a town with a lot of good restaurants.
- Puzzling price pointOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 5/9/2014LK is a NYC restaurant wannabe from it's exposed brick to modern decor to price for dinner. The 4 of us enjoyed pork belly, crab cake (all crab & no filler), beet salad w/ pork cheek (not mentioned in menu description) appetizers. Pork cheek tasted like bacon- yum. We had salmon, shrimp, scallops, and short rib entrees which were flavorful & beautifully presented. Waitstaff was ver attentive without being annoying. Four appetizers, four entrees, four coffees and one dessert cost $127/ couple. There are many great Montclair eateries with price point of $100- $110/ couple. That's where Laboratorio Kitchen should be too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 12 reviews are from the Laboratorio Kitchen reviews archive.
- Terrible service - will not go backOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/3/2014I cannot rate the food -- as we were never served! We had an 8 pm reservation and were seated immediately, but it was down-hill from there! It took 10 minutes to get someone to come and open our wine (& that was the hostess). Another 15 minutes passed before our waitress came. Luckily the hostess came to open our second bottle of wine, because at 9:30 (despite her 9:20 guarantee that food was on its way), we still did not have our appetizers -- and the waitress (who, as it turns out, was the manager) informed us they no longer had what my husband had ordered. When we questioned the delay, she said she was sorry, but they were short-staffed. She made no effort to accommodate - we left!
- Needs Improvement ASAPpdt1129VIPDined on 5/3/2014It's a very new restaurant and it has to improve significantly to be a successful restaurant in Montclair. It was expensive for the lack of quality and sophistication and fell short in both service and food for this type of restaurant. At this point in time, I would not go back. Waited to be seated; waited to be served and waited to receive the check. Our waitperson called us "my love" the whole evening. The rolls were the best item. We ordered the bison steak and braised beef. The Bison steak was tough and grizzly and the side of fava beans were plain and just there. The braised beef was tasty but came out room temperature and the potatoes that came with it came out cold. We sent it back and it still came out room temperature.Special Features:
- Not ready to openJkell50Dined on 5/3/2014Our waiter was very inexperienced. You could barely hear him speak. Unfortunately when you did hear him, he was saying things like "foey grass". Foie gras??? Ugh. My first course was ok but certainly not worth the steep price. We waited a very long time for our second course. When it finally came, it was cold. We asked to see the manager. We waited and waited to see her. The reason why she took so long to come to our table was because she was waitressing. No one seemed to be truly in charge, a kiss of death in a new establishment. The manager offered to comp the meal. As we gathered our wine to leave, we found that the waiter had opened all three bottles! Clearly the staff has not been trained. There have some serious issues to work out
- PromisingLovestayinglocalDined on 5/3/2014This new addition to the Montclair scene deserves a chance to get it right. Our party of four agreed that the food was very good, the servers were inexperienced and front of house needed oversight. We also thought this is a place that may be trying to be too many things: a French-American restaurant with mostly italian selections and farm to table food and presentation. Would definitely recommend giving it a try.Special Features:
- SabbyandJohnVIPDined on 5/3/2014After reading a review in the Montclair Magazine, we decided to give Laboratorio Kitchen a try. The ambiance was pleasant, our waiter was a bit nervous, when asking about a couple entrees & which he recommended, he was not very informative (when it comes to this type of restaurant, I think it should be customary for staff to sample entrees in order to give recommendations)… The food overall was good, ap was okay, husband had the Short Ribs which were quite a bit fatty, I had the Halibut which was fine. The best part of the dinner was the dessert, Chocolate Pot de Creme which was very good, and my husband had the Vanilla Pear. We like small portions, however, if you require sides and larger portions, this may not be the place for you.Special Features:
- Good food but too expensiveLindaDined on 5/2/2014We had a very good meal and we appreciate the great ingredients but the prices were too expensive. Appetizers were $15 each with small portions and the entrees were mostly mid thirties. Will think twice before returning.Special Features:
- Did Not Feel Like Valued GuestsBraggHouseVIPDined on 5/2/2014Recognizing the restaurant is new, there were still some basics missed, and at this price point the meal needs to be much closer to great, similar to Culinariane and Escape in town. Loved the plating of all dishes and the standout tastes were pork belly appetizer and scallop entrée, delicious! Service was pleasant and attentive. Misses: No manager or chef in dining room to check on things (and only 5 tables while we were there). I sent back well more than half of my salmon and when asked if I wanted to take it home I told server I found it overcooked as it had been advertised as medium rare, and we both sent back the majority of our desserts (lemon and chocolate) as they tasted refrigerated and not fresh - still no table visit from manager.
- Good but Questionable Valueilromano175VIPDined on 5/1/2014This new restaurant does in fact offer a pleasant atmosphere and an ambitious menu. On the week night we went there was only one other couple and the service was fine. A pasta dish was excellent though the portion small. The bison steak was a good cut of meat but not particularly interesting otherwise. My wife questioned the freshness of the fish. There can be no questions however that a dinner is expensive and of questionable value as things presently stand.
- Great farm to tableprof402703VIPDined on 4/25/2014Excellent seasoning and beautifully prepared food. Desserts are greatSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Needs workkandjVIPDined on 4/24/2014There are some very fine things about this newcomer to Montclair. Food is interesting, tastes are specific yet refined, service truly is wonderful; young, very proud staff trying very hard to please and clearly proud of the food they're serving. If only the chef was the same. We were there on a quiet night, only a few tables. You'd have thought if he came out of the kitchen he'd say hello and ask how people liked the food but no, he decided to sit a table away in his chef whites and eat with a friend who spent half his time on his phone checking mail and messages. You have to have a bit more respect for the people who could be your patrons than this. Plating showed the same rather sloppy, I don't care so much approach. Silly prices.Special Features:
- Opening Night!RickDined on 4/12/2014First time we have been to a restaurant on it's first night! Grand opening is still to come. Cool, contemporary colors and feel with great, upholstered chairs and banquettes. Attentive service and interesting seasonal menu on a painter's type of pallet tied with a blue ribbon to match color scheme of the space. BYO, and there's a nice wine shop on the next corner. The food was really delicious but they need to work on the portion sizes for items like halibut. We each had different, really fabulous salad to start-mine with beets and crispy pork cheek which was like a wonderful bacon, his was a trio of mini romaine bundles with cheeses. Some portions were huge, others too small. Great desserts. A lovely dinner. Pricey but worthwhile.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Opening night!phil6184VIPDined on 4/12/2014We dined at Laboratorio on their first day of business. I knew this in advance and was expecting some major faux pas. Happy to say all went relatively well. The food was imaginative and tasty. Service was trying really hard. I'd like to return in a month or so and see how things are developing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.