La Villa Restaurant and Bar
1646 India St.
San Diego, CA 92101Neighborhood:
Contemporary ItalianPrice: $30 and under
La Villa Restaurant and Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Phone: (619) 255-5221
- Hours of Operation:
Happy Hour Monday-Sunday 3:00PM-5:30PM
Dinner Monday-Sunday 5:30-Close
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary Italian, Comfort Food, Contemporary European
- Executive Chef: Chris O'Donnell
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Chef's Table, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: At La Villa we offer four privet dining areas which can be booked for privet events. Our chefs table is located in our kitchen and seats 12 guests comfortably. We offer chefs tasting menus starting at $65.00 per head Lunch or dinner, off the menu is also available. We also offer a back patio space that seats 28 People. this space is perfect for sit down dinners as well as medium sized mixers. Our inside dining room is available upon request Monday-Sunday. We do offer our front patio facing India Street for privet events Monday-Thursday for day or afternoon parties.
- Special Events: Three Course Menu $45 a Head
A word from La Villa Restaurant and Bar
From the rustic stone exterior to the expansive and colorful interior, Little Italy’s hidden treasure, La Villa Restaurant & Bar, blends urban and rural life together seamlessly. Seated at wooden tables, reminiscent of the farmers’ tables in years past, diners enjoy fresh, sustainable Italian delights. La Villa’s seasonal menu emphasizes the “farm to table” concept by incorporating neighborhood farmers’ products and locally caught seafood in every dish. From the handmade mozzarella found on the Naples inspired pizzas, to the oysters, so fresh that the remnant flavors of the ocean are still present, La Villa pleases the palate time after time. Pasta lovers fawn over specialties like the Smoked Ricotta Pumpkin Ravioli, served with Toasted Oats, Parsnip Puree, Pomegranate, and Beech Mushrooms, and on warm San Diego days, guests can relax under the sun, surrounded by a brightly colored mural on the outside patio and bar.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
La Villa Restaurant and Bar - Best Restaurants in Little Italy ›
La Villa Restaurant and Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
16 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (14)romantic (5)fit for foodies (5)notable wine list (4)good for groups (3)special occasion (3)neighborhood gem (3)hot spot (2)late-night find (1)vibrant bar scene (1)great for lunch (1)Show More
- Great FoodBuddyDined on 7/18/2014Great classic Italian fare and some with a unique twist. Would return in a minuteSpecial Features:
- bobophillipsDined on 6/22/2014All our selections of appetizers, pizzas and wine were excellent. Looking forward to returning soon.Special Features:
- WORST SERVICE!!!!!90210babyVIPDined on 6/14/2014One of the worst service I have received at any restaurant, to a point we just had to get up and walk out! with this kind of horrible service and lack of proper management, this place will go out of business for sure!!
- neighborhood gemDrRobinVIPDined on 6/9/2014Found this place while touring Little Italy. We stopped for a late lunch and were a little concerned as we were the only customers. However, both the food and service was excellent. All the pasta is hand-made on site. I had the beet salad and paradelle bolognase. Others in my party had the cheese plate and pizza. Would highly recommend visiting this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AwesomeYumFoodDined on 6/7/2014The service, food, and drinks were great! I took my parents there fir dinner and it was a wonderful experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor Bar SericeTropicaleVIPDined on 5/31/2014Even though the restaurant was only half full when we arrived the service was slow. We waited a very long time for our appetizer and even longer for our entrees. While they boost of a big wine selection their liquor selection is limited. I attempted to order a standard Bombay Martini and when I told they didn't have it, I tried for a Tanquerey, but they didn't have that either. They had a selection of 3 gins none of which I have heard of. I finally settled for one that did have and ordered it on the rocks, but it came up! At that point I gave up.Special Features:
- AverageSDlocalVIPDined on 5/23/2014With so many great restaurants it's hard to go wrong in Little Italy, but I'm not sure we made a good choice by gong here. Food was so so and service was not good, but that's always the luck of the draw.Special Features:
- Great outdoor diningPumpkinescobarDined on 5/5/2014The ambiance was great. Beautiful patio, just wished the food was just as great. Wasn't bad, just wasn't anything memorable. Had cold pea and mint soup, and asparagus risotto. Both mediocre and really expensive. Friendly waiter, not so friendly help staff. Our group of 6 people felt the same about the food... Nothing great and way too expensive.Special Features:
- The following 62 reviews are from the La Villa Restaurant and Bar reviews archive.
- Too bad...Babs4316VIPDined on 4/25/2014A really lovely setting with attentive service. Unfortunately our two appetizers, four entrees and one dessert were not good. A lot of money to spend for bad food.Special Features:
- Inside too warmTargettttDined on 3/21/2014The inside location was very warm, I know we should have sat outside. The service was not what I was expecting for a restaurant of this caliber (maybe the guy was new). At least they had a good tequila (Don Julio and good beer...Sculpin). But everyone enjoyed the food and each others' company and that is very important.Special Features:
- MargaretMargaritaDined on 3/15/2014Very bad food, we ordered pasta and was so sticky, after we order we received our appetizer and after 45 minutes our entrees so long time and not hot. and the fettuchine with shrimp had only 3 shrimps. Bad experience
- Great space but poor food...LocalDinerVIPDined on 2/15/2014This is the 2nd time we went to La Villa. The owner has another restaurant across the street called Bon Appitito which has excellent food and he convinced us to try it. It was right after they opened and we were unhappy with the food then. We decided to give it another chance and were disappointed again. We sent back the sea bass special because it was hard and rubbery. We also had to ask them to cook the brussel sprouts more so that they had some flavor. The pizza and beet salad were both very good. It is a beautiful space and the outdoor area is great. However, the chef needs to be replaced and the kitchen retrained. It was obvious to us that we were not the only diners sending food back and/or waiting too long for the kitchen.Special Features:
- Exceptional ServiceJPSDDined on 2/14/2014The service was outstanding & the food was beyond amazing. Will definitely return in the near future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Valentine niteOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 2/14/2014We had an outstanding Valentines nite dinner. We enjoyed the fact that they didn't have a fixed menu. It was a great new discovery of a resturant we had never been to and will be back again soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 45 minAdsurf1Dined on 2/14/2014Immediately after placing our order our salad arrived. Surprisingly fast. But then it took almost 45 min for our entree. The couple next to us came in after we were seated. They ordered after us and had their entire meal finished before we recived our dinner. The food was good but for what you get it was over priced. Would I do again? Probably not. Waiter was very apologetic.Special Features:
- Been to this restaurant manyOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/18/2014Been to this restaurant many times, food is great. Service was a little off this time, waiter seemed to have other things to do. I just write it off as an aberration.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Salty cauliflowerarossettVIPDined on 1/4/2014Lots to like here. We thought the grouper was great, really tasty and a generous portion. The salad was fine. The setting is lovely. But the cauliflower starter was salty. And the service slow and perfunctory. Most annoying was the serving of a second glass of wine. It was the end of the bottle and the server brought a second bottle with him. He poured out the first and it left the glass a tad short, not very short, but a tad. He did not bother to open the second bottle, just left it as it was, slightly short. This was soon after we told him about the cauliflower. Not a good way to go, especially since we had waited rather long for the service.Special Features:
- Sample Gourmet Food Family StylelanguageStudentDined on 1/1/2014Little Italy can be crowed. La Villa is good because it has a lot of nice outdoor tables. Our waiter, Lucas, was very attentive. He helped us choose a nice red wine from Capania. Two members or our party were vegetarians, but we managed to pick a set of a appetizers, pizzas, and entrees that we shared family style. The vegan leek and pear soup was especially good. The puree gave it the texture of cream.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Christmas Eve with the familyLaserqueenDined on 12/24/2013What a fantastic experience! Lucas was our waiter and recommended many excellent options. We stayed for several hours and ordered eleven different dishes- and each was very good. Definitely recommend this restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedMichaelVIPDined on 12/24/2013Server was stressed with too many tables. We have eaten here several times with excellent food and service. Unfortunately we did not receive the same on last visit. We will try again but can no longer give excellent marks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delightful Evening at La VillaOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 11/16/2013We needed a last-minute reservation for 6 on a Sat evening. That La Villa was able to accommodate us was concerning. But we were pleasantly surprised to find that the food was great and the ambiance very pleasant. In short , the gnocchi, butternut squash ravioli, short ribs, and fried cauliflower were all fantastic. We'll definitely add La Viila to our list of go to spots.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Little ItalyMichaelVIPDined on 11/3/2013Wait staff not so good. Acted as if we were somehow fortunate to have him serving us. Sad because the food was great but the poor service distracted from the meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great PizzaHangingpaw1VIPDined on 9/28/2013I am sure that my first visit to this restaurant was somewhat influenced by the location of my table. My companion and I were seated between the front door and the bar. At least we had a window to look out on India Avenue while we waited. Next time I will insist on being seated on the patio. Our server was somewhat handicapped with the English language and did not understand our questions about the wine and food choices. We made do and had several excellent small plates, most notably the pork belly and the wonderfully fresh oysters. The super fresh tomato sauce on the margherita pizza was equally wonderful. Our wine, a Barolo, was excellent.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food FAir ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/20/2013The food was excellent but on a busy Friday nite, we had to wait forever for our entre's to arrive. We got there at seven and did not finish eating desert and paying our bill until 10PMSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely EveningNotacookVIPDined on 9/20/2013The outside dining was a wonderful setting for conversation and fresh air. The service was timely, but never felt rushed. A great spot with great food to meet friends or have an intimate dinner. Portions are generous and they let us share.Special Features:
- Great PlaceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/12/2013I have eaten at La Villa many times; with an old friend, for birthday celebrations, etc. it has never failed to please me, my friends, or my guests. I can always count on the food, service, and ambience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chose La Villa for my birthdaymadaboutdiningDined on 9/12/2013Took a party of seven (2 kids). Requested a nice table on the front patio by the street which they gave us. Service was very good and the waiter took time to explain the dishes they could make Vegan for 3 of the people with us. Everyone really loved their food. I got the squid ink fettuccine which was recommended by the waiter (because I couldn't decide between that and another dish). It was delicious! The Caesar salad was one of the best I've had; and I can be critical of C. salad! The bread was fresh and delicious. No birthday dessert for the birthday girl, but they did put a nice little card with a hand written wish, at my plate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great place for a nice date nightOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/7/2013The staff was wonderful and friendly. We went here for our 15 year wedding anniversary for just a nice quiet dinner and it was perfect. They really took care of us and sat us in a nice quiet area. Food and service was great.Special Features:
- Another Great Little Italy locationCWandMrsCWVIPDined on 9/1/2013Superb pizza accompanied by the local Kale/proscuitto salad. Great service from Kristina! Highly recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- evening diningfoodloverDined on 8/30/2013Gorgeous night...but could not really read menu after dark! Drinks were SO good but very slow in arriving at the table. Actually the appetizers arrived several minutes ahead of the cocktails. Food was good...some dishes excellent...but oysters were extremely small and I didn't think particularly flavorful and I thought the bologense sauce was ordinary and way too much was served on the pappardelle. This restaurant was recommended by a friend and she "knows her food" and thought it was outstanding so maybe we came on an "off" night or ordered the wrong dishes It was a fun evening, ambience was perfect and the food was good if not memorable!! Oh...our server was a gem!Special Features:
- A Gem in Little ItalyOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/24/2013This was our second visit to La Villa and it just keeps getting better. Beet Salad, Gazpacho, Sea Bass, and the Peach/Pancetta/Blue Cheese Pizza were the choices this time. The Sommelier, Dane, is always a great connection at La Villa. He is often found behind the bar but well worth a chat to select a special wine for the evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- La Villa is GreatFreddyDined on 8/16/2013Dane is the: Best bartender in San Diego... He is engaging, friendly, helpful and fun. He's a big reason we keep going backSpecial Features:
- Sunday Dinner - Aug 11thOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/11/2013As always had a great meal for 4 at La Villa. This is a very reasonably priced restaurant for the quality of food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderfully delicious!OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/4/2013Everything from the appetizers to each of the main courses were absolutely fantastic. I had the duck and it was one of the top five dishes I have had of all time. My wife had the scallops, which were quite good. Our kids had the pizza, which I believe is every bit as good as Fillipi's up the street. My parents had pasta dishes with meatballs, which had some of the best sauce that I have tasted. I would definitely eat here again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food, fun menuLyndeeDined on 7/27/2013My boyfriend & I had never been to La Villa before but we decided to try it out because they had reservations open at the time we wanted and it is in Little Italy, which is the area we wanted to eat in that night. It took a while to get service and water (between 7-10 mins), but it was not a big deal because we were able to chat. The drinks and food also took quite a while to get so dinner lasted around 2 hours for 2 people, but again, it was ok because it was date night. We shared the Zucchini Blossoms, Mussels and Duck. We loved the Mussels & Duck and would have them again. The Zucchini Blossoms were good as well but they were fried, which was not indicated on the menu, and neither one of us eat fried foods much.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hostess resisted seating usOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/24/2013Hostess resisted seating us at requested location despite the restaurant being nearly empty. Service was a bit disappointing. Food for 1 of 4 in our party was delayed 5-10 minutes. Steak dish was good by potatoes were very sparse. The total experience was below expectations based upon prior experience.
- AmbianceRedLoriVIPDined on 7/23/2013Took some relatives there that were visiting from out of town. Such a great setting, and terrific food.Special Features:
- AVOIDOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/5/2013Nothing good to say about La Villa. The hostess is an airhead and walked away from the door for ten minutes with a line waiting to be seated. Food is Olive Garden quality, or slightly worse. Had to ask three times for bread. And its not cheap. No redeeming qualities. Just avoid. You have been warned.
- Food and service were amazing.FrafraVIPDined on 7/4/2013Food and service were amazing. We will be back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service was a bit slow andNutsVIPDined on 6/29/2013Service was a bit slow and entres looked like last minute assemblySpecial Features: