La Vecchia Fontana
700 First Ave
Avalon, NJ 08202Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
La Vecchia Fontana
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.lavecchiafontana.net/
- Phone: 6099677708
- Hours of Operation:
Serving dinner daily at 4pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Bujar Daku
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Gluten-free Menu, Takeout, Wheelchair Access
A word from La Vecchia Fontana
La Vecchia Fontana brings fine dining to the shore. Beautifully located a block from the beach in Avalon, New Jersey, La Vecchia Fontana brings a breathtaking Mediterranean style ambiance to the Jersey shore, complete with an elegantly infectious Southern Italian seaside villa decor. La Vecchia Fontana prepares deliciously authentic and classic Italian cuisine served with charm and smile, where guests can let their hair down, relax and take a vacation from their vacation. Bring your favorite bottle of wine and an appetite for classic fine Italian food and homemade desserts and get swept away at La Vecchia Fontana.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeighborhood Gem
La Vecchia Fontana - Best Restaurants in Avalon ›
La Vecchia Fontana reviews from OpenTable diners
73 reviews since April 22, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (47)fit for foodies (32)special occasion (28)good for groups (20)romantic (11)late-night find (6)hot spot (4)kid-friendly (2)vibrant bar scene (2)great for brunch (1)great for lunch (1)Show More
- Great Italian foodLorraineVIPDined on 8/16/2014Ate here and at their Sea Isle place. Both are excellent ! Food nicely spiced without being heavy. Prices reasonable for shore.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Salmon with bruschetta deliciousHowlme01Dined on 8/11/2014Who knew you could pair salmon with bruschetta and it would give you a whole new look on salmon?! This place is always making me happy mainly due to them being open past 9pm and still serving dinner unlike the "other" place in town. The food is really good and service staff knows their dishes and what's in everything which is always a plus. Overall if you want Italian you should come here and bring a bottle of wine to enjoy with a friend and leave happy and full!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Third time this summerDrewDined on 8/8/2014Food was outstanding each time for our entire group. Service was great, attentive and friendly. Would highly recommend!Special Features:
- Delicious and accommodatingHowlme01Dined on 8/7/2014Late Thursday dinner (10:30-11:45). They let us stay and didn't rush us through the meal or our conversation or our bottles of wine that we brought. The food has been delicious both times I've been there!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous!OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/7/2014We've never been disappointed at a La Fontana dinner. Although it was our first time to this location, the food was amazing!!Special Features:
- FlowerDined on 8/2/2014We have been to your other locations. This location was our first time. Our table was for 2 and it was in a corner, which was great. The problem was there are so many tables, you feel like packed sardines. Trying to get up from your chair is a little tough, as the seats are very close together. If your of any size; you'll definitely have a problem getting out. We enjoyed our appetizer, and the dinner but what I didn't like was our appetizer was taken from our table and the dinner came out literrally 1 minute later. I don't like being rushed and that to me was wanting to get us out due to over booking. If I go again, I will tell the server when I'm ready for my main course.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GeorgieDined on 7/31/2014We had the specials which were unusual but outstanding. Using the bounties of the season, the artichokes, fig, and scallops were wonderfully prepared.Special Features:
- Very nice shore dining spotShelley563Dined on 7/27/2014Finding a restaurant at the Jersey shore that takes reservations is not easy, so we were happy to find this place. This is one of a group of "Fontana" restaurants, and the food was as well prepared as in the others we have visited. My husband and I shared the special arugula and beet salad, the ingredients were fresh and tasty. We both had veal dishes, the franchaise and the scallopini, and they were excellent. The veal was fork tender, and the sauces were delicious. The service was very good. The restaurant is on the small side, but we weren't cramped. Other pluses are free parking in the lot and BYOB.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pretty good for AvalonSeahawkDined on 7/25/2014Enjoyed the calamari app. Had the penne which was excellent. Wife had risotto with shellfish. Was good not great. Good experience for Avalon where restaurants can be hit or missI would recommend this to a friend.
- JakeJakeVIPDined on 7/21/2014Food and service were very good. I asked for a quiet table and they did a good job with the table.Special Features:
- Disappointing 2nd visitOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 7/19/2014We had been to La Vecchia a few weeks prior to this most recent visit. The food and service were waaaay better the first time. This last visit was very disappointing. Perhaps because it was a Saturday, the restaurant really struggled in all respects. We waited quite a while for a server to materialize. Service after that was rushed, to put it mildly. The server was nice, but clearly distracted due to the multiple tables he had. The food on our first visit was quite good -- this visit had every dish in our party being very over-salted. That was hard to understand. If we ever go back, it will be on a slower night.
- Late Night GemOne2eatwithDined on 7/18/2014Well this place was in the lower floor of a hotel/rental property. So my concern was there from the beginning. it was a half an hour before closing and I was more concerned about upsetting the chef and getting lousy food. My fears were unfounded!!! The lobster ravioli was superb, it was one of the daily specials and It was the best I have had anywhere. My companion ordered the Filet. Okay same thing I thought money out the window, who orders a filet at an Italian restaurant? When I saw it it was perfect. She said it cut like butter and was THE best she had ever had. Hats off to this Late Night GemSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very enjoyabledoxieloverVIPDined on 7/16/2014It is hard to find a restaurant in Avalon where the food is worth the price that is charged! I have been vacationing here for 50 years, and finding a nice place to dine has always been a challenge My husband and I ate here last summer and I was glad to see they were still here!! The atmosphere is very relaxing and pleasant.....The antipasto is great for sharing, and although the food is Italian, it is not heavy and sauce laden! Hope they are around for a long time!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but no personal servicefoodieVIPDined on 7/12/2014La Vecchia's food is not bad but if you want personal service it is not here at this restaurant. Here you are merely a number in a shore town serving vacationers. We have been here enough times that a hello or a nod of acknowledgment would be nice. The noise level on weekends is extremely loud. The food is good, not exceptional and they do use too many sauces laden with cream. Overall though you can get a decent meal.Special Features:
- Good foodPattyCDined on 7/12/2014Chose this restaurant because they amazingly take reservations in the summertime, at the shore! Unfortunately, we waited 45 minutes from our reservation time until we were seated. People with reservations after us were seated before us. To be fair, the restaurant has a limited number of tables, but overbooking is not the answer. Once seated we had a delicious meal with spotty service. Although there is plenty of staff milling around, they seem to be wandering aimlessly even when asked for specific items. One member of our party put her fork down and nearly had her meal removed because the busser assumed she was finished her meal.Special Features:
- SuperbJerseyansVIPDined on 7/11/2014The food is absolutely delicious! We travel an hour just to eat there. It is now one of our favorite restaurants!!!!Special Features:
- Good foodsandiDined on 7/7/2014Everyone enjoyed their food. My only complaint was that my linguine with clams was too salty. The atmosphere was very nice but since the room has low ceilings it did get noisy when the restaurant got full. We probably will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great diningAdamoliDined on 7/6/2014Restaurant is consistently good and service is excellent!Special Features:
- Hidden gem in AvalonLchiafulloVIPDined on 7/6/2014Very obscure location, and definitely Avalon prices, but the food and service were terrific. Caesar salad was light and crisp, with a hint of lemon. We had the special fish of the day - Wahoo -- and the shrimp scampi with penne. Both were top notch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasant SurprisehiddengemDined on 7/5/2014Our experience from the moment we walked in the front door was so friendly and comfortable. Our dinner guests were so surprised that we have such a wonderful restaurant with such great ambiance in a little neighborhood setting. We have been here a few times and it's always a great place to bring our out of town guests. The staff is always so helpful and everything we've ordered has been terrific. An overall wonderful night.Special Features:
- not as good as we rememberhowyalikethemapplesDined on 7/4/2014Our most recent visit was disappointing and we all agreed, not as good as last time. I ordered the scallop & shrimp special (no price provided) and received a bowl full of pasta with flavorfull sauce, with 2 shrimp and 1.5 scallops. I mentioned the total lack of seafood to our server who said she would inform the chef. About 15 minutes later the manager/host brought a smaller bowl of the same pasta and sauce with 3 large scallops. Why not just serve a nice portion to begin with? I know it is the Shore but really, how many people didn't complain and allowed the restaurant to make $$$$ at $38.95 per serving??? Another member of our party ordered the chicken parm, and honestly none of us could tell if it was chicken or veal after tasting it.
- Wonderful dinner and timeHankDined on 6/29/2014We took our friend here to celebrate his 85th birthday. All 6 of us had different entries and they were all superb. Thjis is the third time I have been there and it was great each time. Our server was the best and could not have been more responsive. The birthday boy was thrilled and said it was one of his best meals ever. I had the Chilean sea bass which was sensational. Don't miss it if you live near Avalon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and servicecindyrDined on 6/14/2014It was our first time at this restaurant and I am happy to say that I will be returning! We dine out frequently during the summer at The Diving Horse, Cafe Loren, Jay's on Third, Sea Grill, Luciano's, The Establishment (N. Wildwood), Red Store (Cape May), etc and the quality of the food at La Vecchia Fontana was outstanding! I had langostino's that were so tender and tasty. Better than any lobster I can remember having in the past. Server, Lea (I think) was very professional and fun.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great choiceVUengrDined on 5/31/2014Wonderful food and service. Always at great experience! Don't forget BYOB.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ho hum....realtor4lifeDined on 5/30/2014Liked the ambience and casualness of the room, located off the beaten path on the first floor of a condo building. Service was just ok and our server never returned to our table after our meal was delivered and had to ask which one of the two of us ordered what, and we were early dining that evening when the room only had about 4 tables occupied. Food was tasty, portions nice but especially hot when it arrived, even though it was early on in the evening. Had to ask for parm cheese, pepper flakes and not one server stopped by to offer ground pepper on the Caesar salad or our meals. When done we had to go in search of our check and a cork for our wine bottle. Maybe just an off night. I would give it another try.
- Phenomenal DinnerAnonymousVIPDined on 5/29/2014Throughout every minute of our time at La Vecchia Fontana, our experience was one to remember. For appetizers, the grilled octopus was by far the best I have ever had. Others at my table got the salad special, while some may think the price steep, it was worth every penny. You could just tell every ingredient was fresh, the mozzarella cheese homemade--absolutely delicious! Our piping entrees came out in a timely manner, with aromas leaivng my table speechless. One presentation was better than the next. The fish special was loaded with lump crabmeat and scallops, the pasta special sacchetti being the best pasta I've ever consumed. Coming from a international food connoisseur, this should mean a lot. We will definitely be returning!Special Features:
- Don't Go hereAvalonDinerDined on 5/25/2014Food was embarrassingly horrible. Caprese salad was horrific with 3 thinly-sliced, unripened tomatoes, cheap mozz, and barely a drizzle of balsamic for $15. Seafood soup saw an overabundance of calamari (the cheapest ingredient) swimming in a tasteless broth. Entree of Wahoo was saturated in a "Ragu-tasting" sauce. Side of broccoli, full stalk and all, was freezer-burnt with that unnatural-looking, off-green color that no real chef would plate. Salmon invoked bad memories of $25-a-head wedding fare. Thank God we brought good wine to wash down a $130 mistake. Seriously, don't go here.
- La Fontana does it againKRy1031Dined on 5/25/2014This was my first time at the La Fontana in Avalon. I have been to the ones in Strathmere and Sea Isle and they're always great. This location is no different. We started with the calamari and for our entrees, I had one of the specials and my husband had the spaghetti alla capesanto. We couldn't decide which was better. If the food was surpassed only by the excellent service. Both the waitress and the chef were gracious and charming. All in all, a wonderful night out that I would recommend to anyone!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delightful!Sn082021Dined on 5/9/2014Whether you summer on Avalon, or are just in town for a few weeks, plan on dining at this fine restaurant. It is located on the quiet north end of the island, which I think adds to it's ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food; Excellent ServiceGMRCAMVIPDined on 5/4/2014The specials at LaVecchia Fontana are always interesting, unusual fare, prepared to perfection. The service is impeccable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentPamelaDined on 4/26/2014I have dined here twice. The food is outstanding with a great selection on the menu as well as specials. Lovely atmosphere. BYOB - a favorite for me. Bring a nice bottle of wine and you're set for a special occasion with a small group or a romantic dinner for two. My husband raved about his dish of veal medallions with roasted vegetables in a wonderful sauce. Said it was the best veal dish he's ever eaten.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 56 reviews are from the La Vecchia Fontana reviews archive.
- Great night out.hiddengemDined on 4/19/2014Everything was just great. The staff was wonderful (even though there were a few of them working their first day). The food was excellent and many choices. Everyone at our table of 6 chose a different entrée and we all loved our dish. We definitely will go back again with friends and family. Great place and the price was very reasonable.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 4/19/2014The food and service are as good or better than any restaurant in Philly. Everything is always fresh. Most occasions, I don't even look at the menu, but order from their specials which are always exceptional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious Italian Food in Avalon!BatFamReviewsDined on 4/18/2014We've dined here twice in 2014 already and the food is delicious! The restaurant is a small BYOB and definitely worth the visit. We recommend reservations as it can get quite busy. You are certain to enjoy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SUPERBJerseyansVIPDined on 4/12/2014Hidden Gem in Condo Complex in Avalon! Travel 45 minutes to have their pasta specials. Heard they own two others restaurants in the nearby towns. Highly recommend this restaurant to All!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really enjoyed our meals, but...galkelVIPDined on 4/12/2014... we had to wait almost a half hour beyond our reservation time to be seated. This could be a problem "in season".
- Good Food but at Avalon PricesOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 3/28/2014We had a pleasant meal at the Avalon NJ location of this Italian byob. The food was better than our last meal at their Philadelphia location. The dining room is pleasant and not beachy which is nice. Problem is prices are very high given the food that is served. Had a spinach gnocchi special with shrimp and scallops but at $36,00 not worth it. There were not that many shrimp or scallops. It is still pasta! Octopus appetizer was good and priced ok but still at the high end. The prices overall are higher than Phila location. Understand that Avalon is a market where you can command those prices but at those prices we will not frequent it often even though we own a home in Avalon and are there on weekends and other times throughout the year.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Decent but overpricedfoodieVIPDined on 3/15/2014In typical Avalon fashion, the food was mediocre at best, completely average, but the prices are exorbitant. Our 2 salads came to #30! The entree prices are usuall for Avalon but the quality was simply average.
- Typical Shore RestaurantsteakloverVIPDined on 11/2/2013Have dined here on several occasions. Went last weekend because only Italian that was open in the off season. Ordered the special pasta which was outstanding, but disappointed when got the check and was charged $37 for a pasta dish. Even Il Mulino in New York City does not charge that much for pasta. I guess I should start asking the price of specials which I never do. Did have an enjoyable night as the place was quite lively. Wait staff seemed a little overwhelmed.I would recommend this to a friend.
- An excellent nite outJAvalonDined on 11/2/2013This is a very popular restaurant with the older, upscale crowd. Tucked away in a corner of Avalon that you would not see unless you know its there, the dining room is attractive, but not large. It fills easily on a weekend nite, with dressy casual diners. Everyone in our party of 4 much enjoyed their food. The Italian offerings are diverse. My traditional veal parm was perfectly prepared, and the side pasta was al dente and hot. Excellent service. I'm always concerned when the waiter doesn't write out the order, but it all came exactly as requested. The only negative would be a high noise level. Its pricey also, but that's always ok when the food and experience is worth it, as this is. Looking forward to a return visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.