La V Restaurant and Wine Bar
1501 E 7th St
Austin, TX 78702Neighborhood:
ProvencalPrice: $50 and over
La V Restaurant and Wine Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.lavaustin.com/
- Phone: 5123911888
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm
Sunday Brunch: 11:00am - 2:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Provencal, Mediterranean
- Executive Chef: Allison Jenkins
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar/Lounge, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Our beautiful two-story wine cellar is a one-of-a-kind Austin experience, providing an exclusive and elegant setting for our private dining room. We offer curated menus and individualized wine pairings featuring the best seasonal produce for our most premium dining space.
- Private Party Contact: Reservationist 5123911888
A word from La V Restaurant and Wine Bar
Inspired by Provence, laV offers a rustic yet refined cuisine in a welcoming and beautiful setting. Dishes emphasize the ingredients of the season and are at once simple and soulful. The world class wine list provides a rich array of options to compliment the ever-changing menu. From an everyday meal to a special celebration, laV promises a truly exceptional food and wine experience.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
La V Restaurant and Wine Bar - Best Restaurants in Downtown ›
La V Restaurant and Wine Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
97 reviews since May 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.7Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (76)special occasion (76)romantic (72)notable wine list (71)hot spot (32)neighborhood gem (24)great for brunch (20)vibrant bar scene (18)great for outdoor dining (14)good for groups (11)great for lunch (3)late-night find (3)kid-friendly (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 9/21/2014Engaging/amazing service. Excellent food. First time for brunch and for sitting at the bar vs. previous experience in dining room for dinner. Will definitely be back.Special Features:
- Wonderful EveningOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/20/2014Everything was absolutely perfect...we enjoyed the meal and the ambiance so much. The cod wrapped in bacon was outstanding....in fact, everything was outstanding. Will most definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food but expensiveOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/19/2014The by-the-bottle wine selection here is really something special. Their by-the-glass options were pretty limited, but we were happy with all of our choices. All of the food we had was fine, but for the cost of this place, I expect more than "fine." Your money is better spent going to Uchiko, Sway, or Elizabeth Street Café, all of which offer better food at cheaper prices.Special Features:
- 1edGrip1VIPDined on 9/14/2014Probably Austin's most innovative restaurant---Excellent in every waySpecial Features:
- Exceeded expectationsOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/13/2014Very chic and well thought out restaurant. Food was great with right portion size. Great wine list, even if I can't afford the $20k bottle of Bordeaux on it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wow, what a disappointmentMoabDined on 9/13/2014I selected LaV for my wife's birthday celebration. We usually go to Vespaio, Fonda San Miguel or, Chez Nous but this time we decided to try something new. We had the Pate for an appetizer. After wiping off the fruit sauce we enjoyed it. My wife ordered the pork chop. It was very tough and fatty with little flavor. She ate about 1/2 and gave up. I tried to eat it but found it inedible. I had the Lamb T bone. The flavor was o.k. but, there was maybe 4 oz. of meat at most. This was supposed to be a fine dining experience but, it was anyting but. The icing on the cake was being charged $16.00 for a run of the mill Mexican Martini. This is Austin, not Aspen for goodness sakes. I don't know how LaV is getting such positive reviews.
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/12/2014LaV is one of the hottest tickets in town right now, and it just did not live up to anyone at our table's expectations. I would classify it as comparable to Arro, but at twice the price. The menu is very limited. We tried a variety of appetizers, small plates, entrees and desserts. Our favorite dish of the night was the ravioli. The waitress recommended the pate, but it was disappointing and we didn't finish it. The wine recommended by the sommelier was disappointing - I can't believe that was what we got for a $100 bottle. I loved the decor, but the service was very odd and inconsistent. There are so many better choices in town right now, especially given that LaV is more expensive than most.Special Features:
- C'est LaV!Diner4lifeVIPDined on 9/12/2014If you love classic, simple, elegant and French. This is the ambience from you. You are transported from Austin Texas to sophisticated place in the south of France. Food is understated yet superb. Romantic enough for date nights and hip enough got groups. The service is impeccable. Austin's latest gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic!NonaDined on 9/7/2014It's gorgeous, inside and out. Even better, the food lives up to the decor and design! The Sunday tasting menu was amazing, and was a great bargain. I'm looking forward to visiting again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- austingemRedwineVIPDined on 9/5/2014We enjoyed our dining experience at La V easy to get to, good valet service. Food was creative and right sized portions. Wine by the glass menu offers some very drinkable selections.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/31/2014Love this place. It has a wonderful wine list with always something interesting on it. Food is always good and desserts are really spectacular. I don't miss it when in Austin. I really enjoy the decor also and more importantly you can hear in here most of the time - which is more than you can say for most other restaurants. Also really like the location. The only minor issue is parking, but that's understandable in Austin.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Utterly ChicciciriderVIPDined on 8/30/2014Truly a restaurant that stands out on the Austin food scene. It looks like it was imported wizard of Oz style straight from LA. It's super chic interiors are unlike anything else in Austin. The food is delicious and thoughtfully prepared. Service is both overly attentive and somehow impersonal (we kept trying to get our waiters' attention and their eyes were everywhere but on our table and yet that kept trying to take away half eaten plates) which is my only criticism of the place. It really is worth going.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 1edGrip1VIPDined on 8/28/2014This is a wonderful new Austin restaurant. It is great in all areas, food, wine service and decor.I would recommend it without reservation.Special Features:
- Pleasant surprise!1PitaPicksDined on 8/28/2014Love the atmosphere of LaV. It's elegance almost seems out of place for the neighborhood. Quite a pleasant surprise. Looking forward to going back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My favorite restaurant in Austin!EstercitaDined on 8/22/2014Amazing restaurant with great ambience, food & wait staff! Will definitely recommend to locals & out of towners!!!Special Features:
- Good not GreatRachyjDined on 8/21/2014We had not heard to much about La V, so did not go in with many expectations. My husband was pretty astonished by how expensive the wine list was. We also felt that several of the items were extremely salty, and I love salt. It definitely stayed with me for at least a day afterwards. Service was friendly and good.Special Features:
- Matches any place any whereDrAlDined on 8/21/2014This is a match to any 5 star place in NYC, Boston, Chicago, SFO, London, Paris, and Lyon.Special Features:
- Love the atmosphereGailMarieDined on 8/15/2014Beautiful restaurant, courteous and attentive service, delicious food!Special Features:
- Great Food and AtmosphereOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/14/2014The food was outstanding and the atmosphere to match.Special Features:
- austexgrlaustexgrlDined on 8/13/2014Incredible ambience, beautiful setting romantic! Waitstaff are simply superb! Food could be fine tuned a little… The food is good.. I had the ravioli and prawns.. and oddly.. even though they promote their wine list.. their wine by the glass is VERY VERY lacking! Also.. I think the white wine was too cold… and thus.. it was too acidic. I had only one glass.. and usually I will have two or three. This was my third time here… First the was spectacular with an outstanding steak….. I will go back.. of course…. and the person I brought with me this time was blown away. I am so glad Austin has this place!Special Features:
- Wow.ChrisTVIPDined on 8/10/2014Such a great place. A beautiful restaurant with wonderful food. The pork schnitzel Croque Madame with foie gras gravy was so crispy, juicy and savory; pure decadence. The chocolate financiers were like jewels on a plate and had the same commanding richness of creamy dark chocolate. Friendly, skilled waitstaff and good bar service. We look forward to another visit.Special Features:
- Lovely Dining Experienceaml653VIPDined on 8/9/2014It's very refreshing to find another restaurant in Austin where I don't feel out of place in a nice dress. It's even better when a restaurant's menu, wine list and service are up to par with nice restaurants in other food destinations across the country. I'm not a restaurant snob, and I enjoy barbecue at a picnic table or breakfast tacos from a food truck, but it's also nice to have an elegant meal in Austin. The chicken for two is delicious with a nice panzanella-like salad. Unfortunately, the appetizer special of croquetas was sold out by the time we ordered, but I hope it will reappear at some point. We didn't get to try desert because we were too full (poor planning), but the donuts looked delicious.Special Features:
- Wedding Anniversary meal celebrat'nlawluvDined on 8/9/2014My wife and I enjoyed ourselves very much. Thanks.Special Features:
- date nightRobjtDined on 8/8/2014First time visit for our anniversary. I was slightly apprehensive as I'm not a fan of 'french restaurants' however they might be branded. Take-away is that LaV is an attractive restaurant to visit, very well designed, great ambiance, good service. Menu has a good variety, but not that many vegetarian options. Pate was a great appetizer and option of small plates was attractive. Wine list was extensive, bar scene looked very good, we sat at a 2 person table.Special Features:
- Classy, fun expereince!AustinGMDined on 8/8/2014Nice place, great food and service (thanks John). Lamb tartare was excellent! We liked the scene and having the corner "couch" made it nice and cozy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing all the way aroundKZRodDined on 8/8/2014This place is not overrated like so may restaurants. The service was incredible, the food amazing, the atmosphere was perfect. I had one of the best overall experiences I an Austin restaurant that I've had in a while. Finally - good food, good ambiance AND great service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary EveningLolaLovesFoodDined on 8/6/2014I loved the ambiance of LaV! It's is beautiful, cozy, comfortable...almost like dining in an elegant living room. The service was exceptional, wine incredible and food delicious. When I say the beauty is in the details I mean it. From the 'V' stamped butter (made in house) to the perfectly folded napkins that created a bed for the menu, everything was perfect. They made our anniversay feel special.Special Features:
- Not so fast..SarahDined on 8/5/2014We were excited to try this new "special occasion" place in town and were disappointed . Food was really not good. Appetizers and the wine were ok but the entree were less than average, boring and bland, not worth the trouble and money. We won't be back.
- Perfect!sgilDined on 8/2/2014After hearing nothing but great things, I finally made reservations to eat here for my husbands birthday. Love that there is complimentary parking and all of the staff was very attentive. The wine list was amazing and the food was delicious. It was the perfect place to celebrate!Special Features:
- First Visit to La V, Not Our LastaustinFoodieVIPDined on 8/2/2014We decided to make our first visit to La V to celebrate our wedding anniversary, and we definitely will be back. The food was excellent from beginning to end, starting with an outstanding cheese plate and continuing through entrees of tea brined pork tenderloin and the porchetta special. The service reflected a perfect balance of professionalism and laid-back Austin friendliness. Of course, the wines were excellent, with a list that ranges in price from reasonable to over the top. However, it is very possible to enjoy some wonderful wines without breaking the bank. Overall, we had an impressive first outing at La V, and we'll be back soon.Special Features:
- Fine, not FantasticALocalDinerVIPDined on 8/1/2014Celebrate our 22nd anniversary here. Restaurant and bar are beautiful, service very good and food fine. I had white gespacho soup that was nice but bland, wonderful vegetable ravioli, and chicken liver pate which was very rich and delicious. My husband enjoyed his salad, but said his steak was so so and tomato side was--meh. Not sure why we were so underwhelmed. Maybe because it was our anniversary, they knew it, we had an early dinner and restaurant was nearly empty when we arrived, yet they still squished us into a small table in the very back of the restaurant. Not a huge deal--but still. The hostess, waiter and manager wished us a happy anniversary. It was nice, we may return after trying all the other new, fab ATX restaurants.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best restaurant in AustinSpatulaDADDined on 7/29/2014Impeccable. Excellent dining experience. Food, ambiance, service are all flawless.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Eggs Benedict Is A MustSharDined on 7/27/2014The crab eggs Benedict was so good. The crab cake was made really light and without ant bread crumbs. I started off with the beet and watermelon salad. The watermelon was infuse with mint, which gave it a refreshing taste. The service was very attentive and someone was always right there to refill our water and coffee. The coffee is a French press and had a nice smooth flavor. Make sure you save room for dessert. The salted caramel macaroons were scrumptious. The only thing we thought was not priced right were the mimosas and bellinis. They were $12 a glass. Wherever I have gone to brunch I have never paid more than $6 or $7 a glass. We will go back and try out dinner one eveningSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Be transported to ProvenceHungryGirlAustinDined on 7/25/2014One of the hottest new restaurants in Austin!! The food is delicious, the wine list impressive, and you feel like you just stepped foot in Provence!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautifully delicious.FoodChomperDined on 7/22/2014First of all, the wine list is absolutely ridiculous in a very good kind of way. You may need an alone time looking through the list or just get help, drinks come faster that way. The menu is seasonal but the selections are impressive. We had the octopus and the escargot from the list of small plate options and they were delicious. Whatever combo of spices they used did not over power the main ingredients. For the main course, we got the whole daurade and stripped bass. Daurade was good, but i like the stripped bass better. We finish it off with an opera cake and please, please order the damn cake and just face plant in it. Yes it was that good! Like the vibe, gorgeous decor and awesome service. May look foo foo, but all are welcome.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/22/2014My wife and I were looking for a new place to try. We picked La V because we had heard good things from some friends. The food was excellent. Service was great. We ate pretty early--around 7pm--so I'm not sure how the atmosphere changes later in the evening. Definitely going back. I would say it's great for a romantic evening yet not overly formal or stuffy.Special Features:
- Delicious BrunchEmilyRDined on 7/20/2014AMAZING brunch, great for a special occasion. Mimosas and Belinis taste amazing and the chicken pate is to die for. I love LaV for brunch with friends and romantic dinners with my husband.Special Features:
- Super new restaurant in AustinselectiveDined on 7/17/2014We had a really nice evening at La V, from drinks at the bar to a lovely meal. The food was perfectly executed, the service was very, very professional. The manager greeted us as we were sitting down to dine and welcome us, which was nice. The chicken liver pâté was sensational. The atmosphere in the restaurant in energetic but not too loud.Special Features:
- La V is at the top of the listleopardpaDined on 7/17/2014La V consistently performs at a high level in terms of food, service, and ambiance. The menu is challenging but familiar, and the servers are extremely knowledgeable about the offerings and their offerings. Most menu items consist of things that the average patron will recognize, although they are presented in new and interesting ways. There are always several things that are somewhat esoteric, but these are easily explained by staff with absolutely condescension or stuffiness. This was the third time I have visited this restaurant and they never disappoint. Brunch or dinner, this place is fabulous. Incredible wine list and sommmeliers that are knowledgeable and friendly. La V is never stuffy, but the product is stunning. Go. Now.Special Features:
- Excellent!bistroVIPDined on 7/17/2014Fantastic food, excellent service, beautiful space!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.