777 Laurel Street
San Carlos, CA 94070Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.latoscarestaurant.com/
- Phone: 6505927749
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturdat: 11:00am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Sunday: 4:30pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Mediterranean
- Executive Chef: Federico Sanchez
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: La Tosca prepare special menus for parties. We offer delivery or pick-up.
- Private Party Facilities: The restaurant is available for buyouts and can also accommodate parties of up to 30 during regular restaurant hours.
- Private Party Contact: Jack 6508885904
- Entertainment: Nancy Gilliand sings jazz songs and music from the golden era of the 30's and 40's. Scott Daily plays jazz piano on weekends.
A word from La Tosca
La Tosca offers Tuscan and Italian specialties in a warm, friendly and comfortable setting. Streetside tables overlook lovely downtown San Carlos. Chef Federico has 20 years experience in his Italian kitchen at La Tosca. Daily specials and live music are offered Tuesday through Saturday. No corkage on Monday evenings..Continued
Click Here For Our Reviews on Yelp.com
Click Here For Our Reviews on Yelp.com
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
- Diners' Choice WinnerItalian
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeighborhood Gem
La Tosca - Best Restaurants in San Carlos ›
La Tosca reviews from OpenTable diners
56 reviews since April 30, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (37)special occasion (25)fit for foodies (16)romantic (16)great for lunch (12)good for groups (11)kid-friendly (5)great for outdoor dining (4)notable wine list (3)great for brunch (2)late-night find (2)Show More
- Nice birthday dinnerluvvansVIPDined on 8/19/2014Jacob was terrific. He greeted our party & made sure we had a nice family birthday dinner. Good drinks & food.Special Features:
- Always goodMattDined on 8/17/2014We have eaten here several times over the past few years. The food is traditional Italian and consistently good. Service is friendly and efficient. Water glasses are kept filled and the wait staff is knowledgeable. There are several Italian restaurants on Laurel Street and we consider La Tosca and 888 the best.Special Features:
- FoodieVIPDined on 8/9/2014This restaurant has consistently served delicious food with excellent service. I have been coming here for 5 years! It is small, intimate and a perfect place to celebrate birthdays, anniversaries or just a quiet night out with no children!Special Features:
- Very good Food and great serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/6/2014Very pleasant among so many to chose from. We had dinner with Italian friends and they loved it. And they are fussy about Italian food... Great place again.... We had not been there for a few years and they seem better than ever..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Charming local restaurantdchowDined on 8/6/2014I come here for the pasta dishes. We had the special which was good. For dessert we had the creme brulee which was the highlight of the evening. This was a family event with the kids to enjoy a good meal before school starts.Special Features:
- Wonderful timeErica73Dined on 8/3/2014I had a lovely time at La Tosca for my birthday dinner. The cocktails were made perfectly. Their cabernet I had with diner was smooth. The food was excellent, extremely yummy fettuchine dish with lobster tails and scallops- to die for! At the end of the dining experience they knew itwas my birthday and they brought out a delicious warm bread pudding with ice cream and whipped cream of course with a candle on top. And the service was definitely up to par and more! I loved our waiter, he was friendly , warm and knew what he was doing, you can tell he's had experience. They seem to only hire pros here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LuvgoodfoodVIPDined on 8/2/2014Nice ambiance and location. Service is good, but the food needs some work.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/1/2014We had a lovely evening and enjoyed not only the service but the friendly atmosphere too. The food was delicious and done to perfection. Thank you for a beautiful and fun evening.Special Features:
- A MustBetsyDined on 8/1/2014This was our third visit and we will definitely go back. The food was outstanding and 2 folks actually were able to get dishes that were not on the menu. The service was incredible - friendly and efficient.Special Features:
- candyVIPDined on 7/1/2014The food was excellent, love their smoked salmon carpacio and Hart of Palms salad, everything was very tasty and service was great as well!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 57th anniversary dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/29/2014Who would have thought 57 years ago that we would be celebrating 57 years of marriage in San Carlos, CA. It's a long way from Indiana! We enjoyed the evening!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great, Again!RonkDined on 6/23/2014This was my fourth visit to this fine restaurant and once again, it did NOT disappoint. The service was attentive and the food was terrific. I was there for a business lunch and we were able to speak and hear each other and my associate loved the food which was perfectly prepared. I would highly recommend this restaurant and can't wait to go back.Special Features:
- Lovely evening!KathleenDined on 6/21/2014Our dinner companions arrived late, no problem, staff very considerate. All four of us enjoyed our meals and drinks. Will go again.Special Features:
- Great serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/20/2014The wait staff was fantastic and the food was delicious Would highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Okay, but not great!RoseVIPDined on 6/19/2014The food was okay, but not great! I would try the restaurant again another time.I would recommend this to a friend.
- La Tosca is always greatBeejDined on 6/7/2014We hadn't been to La Tosca in quite awhile. As usual, the food was exceptional and the ambiance pure neighborhood gem. My wife doesn't like pasta but found the chicken parmigiana out of this world. I've never had a bad meal there, while many times regretted not going there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- La ToscaOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 6/6/2014Had a graduation celebration at this restaurant. Food was great and the service impeccable. Would certainly return there again.Special Features:
- Hidden TreasurelocalgirlDined on 6/4/2014The food is always very good here, as is the service. On my most recent visit, the service was outstanding, creating a very enjoyable evening. La Tosca has a nice ambiance, which allows friends to talk easily while enjoying a meal together. I definitely recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GREAT DINING EXPERIENCEOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 5/29/2014AS ALWAYS, THEY ARE FRIENDLY AND PROFESSIONAL. THE FOOD WAS GREAT- WE HAD LASAGNA AND EGGPLANT PARMESAN SPECIALS, BOTH VERY GOOD. GUESTS FROM OUT OF TOWN ALWAYS REQUEST WE GO BACK HERE FOR THE VEAL PICATA, NEVER DISAPPOINTED.Special Features:
- Good Traditional Italian FoodShellyDined on 5/25/2014Good spot if you are looking for more traditional Italian food such as veal picatta and good pasta dishes. But, they also have nightly specials and some more non traditional items and interesting salads - we ordered the pear and beet salads, both were quite good.Special Features:
- ronkarrVIPDined on 5/14/2014I would refer this place to anyone, great food. Especially the lamp chopsSpecial Features:
- Made mamas happy on Mother's Daydocofsoc1Dined on 5/11/2014We ate for the first time at La Tosca on Mother's Day and I'm so glad I chose this restaurant. My husband, daughter and mother had wonderful food, sharing each other's dishes and everyone smiling and saying "yum." It was busy but not so noisy we couldn't hear each other inside, something that is a big deal to my mom who struggles with super loud restaurants. Our very friendly waiter was a hoot, joking with my daughter and my mom, making both smile. Bottom line, we'll be back because we want to try more dishes!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great serving staff & dessertsJoyceDined on 5/10/2014Celebrated Mother's day with friends here. VERY friendly and patient waiter as we were talking more than reading the menu when we arrived. Took great care of us. Everyone enjoyed their entrees - Lamb was a bit overdone but other than that not complaints. We are not big dessert people (as we are kind of picky and hate to be disappointed) but ordered a variety to share. Everyone raved! We shared across 7 people - cappuchino creme brulee, tiramisu, panna cotta, and bread pudding (which can often be really bad or really good at restaurants in general but was FABULOUS here!) Would definitely go back.Special Features:
- EmpoyeesWonderfulDined on 5/8/2014The waiter and cooking staff was exemplary! It could not have been any better!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place to EATVickieDined on 5/3/2014Excellent restaurant, food and all was just perfect. Our waiter was wonderful and we had a great time. I would definitely go back there in a heart beat.Special Features:
- Always, always satisfyingOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/2/2014Every visit is always a consistently satisfying and relaxing time at La Tosca. The evening specials are always great - I had the risotto with lamb shank, prawns, mushrooms. You cannot miss with ingredients like that! We finished the dinner off with the special bread pudding dessert - whipped cream on top, then ice cream, then the warm bread pudding on the bottom - yum. Our waiter was friendly and attentive from start to finish. I'm lucky to live nearby so I can go often.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 544 reviews are from the La Tosca reviews archive.
- Neighborhood gem never disappointsCasualfoodieDined on 4/27/2014La Tosca is our personal favorite of the San Carlos Italian restaurants we've tried. The food and service are consistently good. Classic dishes are prepared and served with care. Carpeting and upholstered booths help to absorb excess sound so you can actually hear your dinner companions and need not shout to be heard yourself.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A nice mealsushifridaysDined on 4/26/2014My first impression in walking into this restaurant was how dated the decor was, burgundy table clothes and mint green walls and the lights were not dimmed. Then I noticed how dated the diners were. My husband and I felt like the youngest folks there and trust me, we are not that young. The food was nice/good, but nothing special or surprising. I'd say it's good/solid traditional Itailan food. But, I do have to give a big shout out to our waiter who was wonderful. Attentive, but not intrusive, amusing, but not annoying. He was just fabulous and definitely made our night.
- Very Good to OutstandingnonmihiDined on 4/24/2014Liked the smoked salmon appetizer...tasty and came with some arugala...nice touch. We had two of the veal (Picatta and Saltimbocca) entrees and portions were on the small side but ample for us and delicious. Veggies were cooked just right. The bread was doughy but the dip was fine. Wine selection by the glass included a Kinderwood Chardonnay and Pola Sole Monte red. The panacotta and cappuccino topped off the meal. Service from Jacob and staff was excellent. Water glasses were filled in a timely fashion and dishes and flatware were changed out as needed. The ambience is fine for the locale and competition in San Carlos. The noise level could be different on a Friday or Saturday night but it was quiet for our Thursday evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lovely lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/21/2014The service and the food were excellent. We were well cared for!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A most enjoyable lunchamheyDined on 4/15/2014From the friendly host who directed my guest and I to a booth, to the considerate waiter, the staff were excellent. My guest had pasta with tomato sauce - capellini - and thoroughly enjoyed it. Her comment to me was that the pasta was not greasy and the tomato sauce tasted of real tomatoes. I had an enjoyable hearts of palm salad with shrimp, and fresh vegetables in the salad. My ice tea was filled regularly and we finished the lunch with a cup of decaff coffee each. We both enjoyed it. I was happy as its always a risk taking a guest to a restaurant one hasn't visited before - but I relied on Open Table's reviews and was not disappointed.Special Features:
- Outstanding in every wayOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 4/12/2014This is a must stop for dinner. truly outstanding in every way.Special Features:
- Amazing Food & ServiceFastRandyDined on 4/9/2014Met a former colleague for dinner on a Wednesday night. The server helped us pick out a nice 2005 Italian wine that was decanted at the table. Very nice wine. The entrees were amazing! Very rich and flavorful. Our server was attentive but not intrusive, a very nice experience. I've eaten at a number of San Carlos Restaurant, but will definitely go back to La Tosca!!! One of my new Favs!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very nice indeed!JeanDined on 4/4/2014We had a very nice dinner on a busy Friday night. The wait staff was attentive and the food was very good. The calamari especially was super tender with a very light breading - outstanding! We'll go again!Special Features:
- wonderful service, solid foodfoodiemommyDined on 4/4/2014Veal was a little salty but the gnocchi was perfect. Waiter went above and beyond.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- La Tosca Food ReviewAnnaDined on 3/27/2014I've been going to La Tosca for the past several years and was very disappointed with my recent dinner. The quality of our food was not good or fresh. I had started with a cesear salad which was soaked in dressing. The pasta carbonara was my entree and it had no flavor at all. Needless to say we ordered the blackberry dessert which arrived with strawberries instead. The waiter did not tell us that they were out of blackberries. My friend who I was sharing dessert with is allergic to strawberries. Hence, we returned the dessert.Special Features:
- Not on SundayNancyDined on 3/23/2014Disappointed. Seems that because Sunday is a slow day there was less staff than necessary . They did have a special desert as I requested .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My New Favorite PlaceRonkDined on 3/21/2014This was our third visit. Two visits were with good friends. The restaurant was superb in every way and impressed us and our friends. Food, atmosphere, and service were terrific. Highly Recomended!Special Features:
- Amazing food!Migmed7Dined on 3/18/2014The setting was absolutely great! Out booth was so comfortable. The service was simply outstanding. They always were making sure I didn't need anything additional. And then there is the amazing Italian good! So delicious and very authentic. Best Italian Restaurant I've been to in the region.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- From start to finish the staffWendyVIPDined on 2/28/2014From start to finish the staff was attentive and made us feel welcomed. I enjoyed the lentil soup; thought it was excellent!! My salmon was cooked perfectly, seasoned well as the portion was generous. We all had panne cotta for dessert but I wish I hadn't. Although the soaked cherry sauce was awesome, I thought the panna cotta fell flat. It is such an easy thing to make by somehow they missed it. Dinner was not cheap so I just wished it was special.