777 Laurel Street
San Carlos, CA 94070Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.latoscarestaurant.com/
- Phone: (650) 592-7749
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturdat: 11:00am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Sunday: 4:30pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Mediterranean
- Executive Chef: Federico Sanchez
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: La Tosca prepare special menus for parties. We offer delivery or pick-up.
- Private Party Facilities: The restaurant is available for buyouts and can also accommodate parties of up to 30 during regular restaurant hours.
- Private Party Contact: Jack 6508885904
- Entertainment: Nancy Gilliand sings jazz songs and music from the golden era of the 30's and 40's. Scott Daily plays jazz piano on weekends.
A word from La Tosca
La Tosca offers Tuscan and Italian specialties in a warm, friendly and comfortable setting. Streetside tables overlook lovely downtown San Carlos. Chef Federico has 20 years experience in his Italian kitchen at La Tosca. Daily specials and live music are offered Tuesday through Saturday. No corkage on Monday evenings..Continued
Click Here For Our Reviews on Yelp.com
Click Here For Our Reviews on Yelp.com
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerItalian
La Tosca - Best Restaurants in San Carlos ›
La Tosca reviews from OpenTable diners
48 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (34)special occasion (23)romantic (20)fit for foodies (14)good for groups (8)great for lunch (7)great for outdoor dining (6)notable wine list (5)kid-friendly (3)late-night find (1)hot spot (1)Show More
- Still wonderfulOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/22/2014La Tosca has been one of our favorite Italian restaurants for years. It does not stand on its laurels, and some of the new items on the menu are terrific -- the penne with lamb sausage was very tasty. The service was first rate; our waiter remembered us, joked about why people who ask for a Caesar salad don't like anchovies, and was attentive without being overbearing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- extensive menuOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/8/2014Our San Francisco friends joined us for a Saturday evening dinner after a movie and we were impressed with the wide selection of menu items, a variety of specials and delicious food. They were flexible with our change in time. We plan to return. The bar is a nice feature.Special Features:
- Chicken Italian SausageOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 10/22/2014Great little area and a great little restaurant. I ordered fettuccine with the Chicken Italian Sausage that they make in the house. it was a special, that interestingly was made with brussel sprouts. I indulged and had the Chocolate Torte for dessert and it was outstanding!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Neighborhood GemOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/22/2014We focused on vegetarian options and had the grilled vegetables to start, my friend had the pear salad and I had the mushroom ravioli. All dishes were outstanding - fresh, flavorful and most delicious. We finished with the bread pudding which was not only delicious, also a feast for the eyes. Service was impeccable. It was a lovely evening and we enjoyed the sidewalk cafe dining. This was a wonderful experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food and ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/2014We enjoyed a good meal, drinks and service! We will be backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food at La ToscaOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/2/2014My friend and I really enjoyed the menu, and the choices we each selected were well executed and tasty.Special Features:
- OutstandingOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/27/2014What can I say, La Tosca continues to deliver consistently exceptional food and you simply cannot beat the service. Everyone goes out of their way to pamper you and did I mention the food...authentic, flavorful and generous portions. Highly recommend you give this place a try and judge for yourself - you won't be disappointed.Special Features:
- La Tosca Gem in San CarlosOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/20/2014A friend and I had dinner before a theater performance in RWC, the service was gracious and friendly, prompt and attentive. We enjoyed our dishes, the papardelle was delicate, and the trout carpaccio tasty. Will go again.Special Features:
- Love La ToscaOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/10/2014We go here about once a year for special occasions and always have a superb dining experience The food is excellent The waiters are attentive but not smothering If you've never been its time you try it It is a San Carlos favoriteSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/6/2014We had a very nice dinner here. The restaurant is not very big so it has a more intimate feel to it. The food was very good and everyone in our group was happy with their selections. We had orders for both specials as well as the usual house offerings. Loved our waiter Jacob. He added a great deal to our night there. Everyone wants to have a great meal and feel special when they go out. It is an event, not a fast food place. We definitely had a lovely meal at a lovely restaurant and made feel special .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just average Mediterranean FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 9/5/2014Twenty bucks for a cup full of spaghetti and a too view clams (hardly any out of shell in the sauce) just isn't worth a return to a restaurant where parking is a problem on a Friday night. Although my frequent visits to Italy skew my opinions when comparing authentic sauces to those that lack the real Italian flavors and don't include much in the way of fresh ingredients. Without some spices and a few chopped tomatoes, the sauce was just too bland. Wife's Linguini with shrimps was a better dish, deserving of a "Good" rating. When it comes to REAL Italian food, Caffe Riace in Palo Alto is a much better bet.
- La ToscaOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/5/2014Excellent service. Excellent food and presentation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice birthday dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/19/2014Jacob was terrific. He greeted our party & made sure we had a nice family birthday dinner. Good drinks & food.Special Features:
- Always goodOpenTable Diner Since 2000Dined on 8/17/2014We have eaten here several times over the past few years. The food is traditional Italian and consistently good. Service is friendly and efficient. Water glasses are kept filled and the wait staff is knowledgeable. There are several Italian restaurants on Laurel Street and we consider La Tosca and 888 the best.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 8/9/2014This restaurant has consistently served delicious food with excellent service. I have been coming here for 5 years! It is small, intimate and a perfect place to celebrate birthdays, anniversaries or just a quiet night out with no children!Special Features:
- Very good Food and great serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/6/2014Very pleasant among so many to chose from. We had dinner with Italian friends and they loved it. And they are fussy about Italian food... Great place again.... We had not been there for a few years and they seem better than ever..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Charming local restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/6/2014I come here for the pasta dishes. We had the special which was good. For dessert we had the creme brulee which was the highlight of the evening. This was a family event with the kids to enjoy a good meal before school starts.Special Features:
- Wonderful timeOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/3/2014I had a lovely time at La Tosca for my birthday dinner. The cocktails were made perfectly. Their cabernet I had with diner was smooth. The food was excellent, extremely yummy fettuchine dish with lobster tails and scallops- to die for! At the end of the dining experience they knew itwas my birthday and they brought out a delicious warm bread pudding with ice cream and whipped cream of course with a candle on top. And the service was definitely up to par and more! I loved our waiter, he was friendly , warm and knew what he was doing, you can tell he's had experience. They seem to only hire pros here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/2/2014Nice ambiance and location. Service is good, but the food needs some work.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/1/2014We had a lovely evening and enjoyed not only the service but the friendly atmosphere too. The food was delicious and done to perfection. Thank you for a beautiful and fun evening.Special Features:
- A MustOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 8/1/2014This was our third visit and we will definitely go back. The food was outstanding and 2 folks actually were able to get dishes that were not on the menu. The service was incredible - friendly and efficient.Special Features:
- The following 561 reviews are from the La Tosca reviews archive.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 7/1/2014The food was excellent, love their smoked salmon carpacio and Hart of Palms salad, everything was very tasty and service was great as well!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 57th anniversary dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/29/2014Who would have thought 57 years ago that we would be celebrating 57 years of marriage in San Carlos, CA. It's a long way from Indiana! We enjoyed the evening!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great, Again!OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 6/23/2014This was my fourth visit to this fine restaurant and once again, it did NOT disappoint. The service was attentive and the food was terrific. I was there for a business lunch and we were able to speak and hear each other and my associate loved the food which was perfectly prepared. I would highly recommend this restaurant and can't wait to go back.Special Features:
- Lovely evening!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/21/2014Our dinner companions arrived late, no problem, staff very considerate. All four of us enjoyed our meals and drinks. Will go again.Special Features:
- Great serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 6/20/2014The wait staff was fantastic and the food was delicious Would highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Okay, but not great!OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 6/19/2014The food was okay, but not great! I would try the restaurant again another time.I would recommend this to a friend.
- La Tosca is always greatOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/7/2014We hadn't been to La Tosca in quite awhile. As usual, the food was exceptional and the ambiance pure neighborhood gem. My wife doesn't like pasta but found the chicken parmigiana out of this world. I've never had a bad meal there, while many times regretted not going there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- La ToscaOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 6/6/2014Had a graduation celebration at this restaurant. Food was great and the service impeccable. Would certainly return there again.Special Features:
- Hidden TreasureOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/4/2014The food is always very good here, as is the service. On my most recent visit, the service was outstanding, creating a very enjoyable evening. La Tosca has a nice ambiance, which allows friends to talk easily while enjoying a meal together. I definitely recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GREAT DINING EXPERIENCEOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 5/29/2014AS ALWAYS, THEY ARE FRIENDLY AND PROFESSIONAL. THE FOOD WAS GREAT- WE HAD LASAGNA AND EGGPLANT PARMESAN SPECIALS, BOTH VERY GOOD. GUESTS FROM OUT OF TOWN ALWAYS REQUEST WE GO BACK HERE FOR THE VEAL PICATA, NEVER DISAPPOINTED.Special Features:
- Good Traditional Italian FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/25/2014Good spot if you are looking for more traditional Italian food such as veal picatta and good pasta dishes. But, they also have nightly specials and some more non traditional items and interesting salads - we ordered the pear and beet salads, both were quite good.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 5/14/2014I would refer this place to anyone, great food. Especially the lamp chopsSpecial Features:
- Made mamas happy on Mother's DayOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/11/2014We ate for the first time at La Tosca on Mother's Day and I'm so glad I chose this restaurant. My husband, daughter and mother had wonderful food, sharing each other's dishes and everyone smiling and saying "yum." It was busy but not so noisy we couldn't hear each other inside, something that is a big deal to my mom who struggles with super loud restaurants. Our very friendly waiter was a hoot, joking with my daughter and my mom, making both smile. Bottom line, we'll be back because we want to try more dishes!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great serving staff & dessertsOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/10/2014Celebrated Mother's day with friends here. VERY friendly and patient waiter as we were talking more than reading the menu when we arrived. Took great care of us. Everyone enjoyed their entrees - Lamb was a bit overdone but other than that not complaints. We are not big dessert people (as we are kind of picky and hate to be disappointed) but ordered a variety to share. Everyone raved! We shared across 7 people - cappuchino creme brulee, tiramisu, panna cotta, and bread pudding (which can often be really bad or really good at restaurants in general but was FABULOUS here!) Would definitely go back.Special Features:
- EmpoyeesOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/8/2014The waiter and cooking staff was exemplary! It could not have been any better!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place to EATOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/3/2014Excellent restaurant, food and all was just perfect. Our waiter was wonderful and we had a great time. I would definitely go back there in a heart beat.Special Features:
- Always, always satisfyingOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/2/2014Every visit is always a consistently satisfying and relaxing time at La Tosca. The evening specials are always great - I had the risotto with lamb shank, prawns, mushrooms. You cannot miss with ingredients like that! We finished the dinner off with the special bread pudding dessert - whipped cream on top, then ice cream, then the warm bread pudding on the bottom - yum. Our waiter was friendly and attentive from start to finish. I'm lucky to live nearby so I can go often.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood gem never disappointsOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 4/27/2014La Tosca is our personal favorite of the San Carlos Italian restaurants we've tried. The food and service are consistently good. Classic dishes are prepared and served with care. Carpeting and upholstered booths help to absorb excess sound so you can actually hear your dinner companions and need not shout to be heard yourself.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A nice mealOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 4/26/2014My first impression in walking into this restaurant was how dated the decor was, burgundy table clothes and mint green walls and the lights were not dimmed. Then I noticed how dated the diners were. My husband and I felt like the youngest folks there and trust me, we are not that young. The food was nice/good, but nothing special or surprising. I'd say it's good/solid traditional Itailan food. But, I do have to give a big shout out to our waiter who was wonderful. Attentive, but not intrusive, amusing, but not annoying. He was just fabulous and definitely made our night.