La Taberna Tapas on Halsted
1301 S. Halsted
Chicago, IL 60607Neighborhood:
Little Italy / University Village
SpanishPrice: $30 and under
La Taberna Tapas on Halsted
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.latabernatapas.com/
- Phone: 3122439980
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 3:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 3:00pm - 12:00am, Sunday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Spanish, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Enrique Cortez / Gustavo Castañeda
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Entertainment, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: We offer competitively priced catering options for every occasion. For more information call us at 312.243.9980 or send an inquiry to email@example.com.
- Private Party Facilities: We offer packages to accommodate cocktail parties to formal dinner parties. For more information call us at 312.243.9980 or send an inquiry to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Private Party Contact: Juan Carlos Castañeda 3122439980
- Entertainment: We offer live music on the weekends.
A word from La Taberna Tapas on Halsted
The chef team of Enrique Cortez (Olé Lounge) and Gustavo Castañeda (Zocalo) bring their modern interpretation of classic Spanish tapas to University Village. Savor the puff pastry empanadas filled with ground beef, raisins, queso fresco, chile ancho and topped with avocado mousse. For the heartier appetite, try the cedar plank grilled New York strip served with spicy patatas bravas and chimichurri sauce. La Taberna Tapas also offers specialty sangrias, creative cocktails and a fun and approachable wine list. Come enjoy the modern taste and atmosphere of La Taberna Tapas on Halsted.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
La Taberna Tapas on Halsted reviews from OpenTable diners
25 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (15)good for groups (12)romantic (9)fit for foodies (9)great for outdoor dining (8)great for lunch (7)special occasion (7)great for brunch (4)late-night find (4)hot spot (2)scenic view (1)vibrant bar scene (1)notable wine list (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Great experienceSaoriKidoDined on 10/10/2014I have dined at La Taberna for quite a while and I haven't been disappointed. Food is always hot when getting to the table. Paella Mediterranea is amazing, totally recommend it. Tapas are good, although I noticed portions have downsized a little. Maybe it was just a busy night, but regardless their food always tastes amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LTT-H 100414bearsdadDined on 10/4/2014My girlfriend and I dined at La Taberna Tapas on Saturday, October 4, 2014. We thought the decor was beautiful and the food was great! Our server Elizabeth L. was quite pleasant and very attentive. We will be returning 10/18/2014 with a larger group to celebrate my birthday. I am looking forward to it.Special Features:
- Great for family and group events.FrankieDined on 9/24/2014Had a birthday gathering with 6 people and the food, atmosphere and service was absolutely wonderful Made it a memorable evening, and we will be back - recently had enjoyed an outdoor lunch, and that was great as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Full stomachSlicvicDined on 9/7/2014Took my dad for his birthday. Great find. Calm scene. Great food. Reasonable price. Def worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good timesGeorgeDined on 9/1/2014Great place with wonderful food! The service was wonderful. I would defintely go there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Refreshing eclectic menu!UniqueFindInVegasDined on 8/15/2014There was live music on Friday night. It was nice but a bit too loud for quiet conversation. Other than that the experience was great!Special Features:
- Excellent tapasmamatubsVIPDined on 6/30/2014The $12.00 lunch special is a very good deal. Plenty of food and it's easy for those new to tapas to enjoy 3 courses. For dinner the indiviuals tapas are quite excellent. Datiles are a favorite as are the charcuteria, gambas al ajillo and do try the paella!Special Features:
- The following 194 reviews are from the La Taberna Tapas on Halsted reviews archive.
- CJSophieDined on 6/15/2014Nice outdoor patio. Good tapas. Friendly staff. Great service. Desserts were fantastic! Try the churros and the molten chocolate cake!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Average Restaurantluv2dineDined on 6/7/2014The food was average. The restaurant was hot since they did not have the air conditioning on. Service was fair.Special Features:
- I HAD A GREAT TIMEBillDined on 5/30/2014Great food, great atmosphere, we went there with some friends and they loved it. I think this is a Jewel in the south loop. They serve tapas with a Mexican twist. If this place was downtown it would be really one of the hottest places to go after work. I am glad this guys are around to my fridays/saturday nights happier :0) LOVE ITTTT ! ! !
- AwesomeWoodyDined on 5/25/2014The food here is awesome, the bacon wrapped dates are my favorite and the different Sangrias are amazing.Special Features:
- Watch UEFA champions finalMapscDined on 5/24/2014Tapas and service was really good. Only thing is price VS food quantity could be better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor foodPoj1VIPDined on 5/23/2014The food was poor. The tapas was overcooked and tasteless. There are many tapas places in Chicago that are much better and this doesn't even compare. The only reason why this has some good reviews is because it is in a college area. Out of 4 tapas places I've are at in Chicago this is the worst. This is not because of the service or anything, but plainly because the food is just not good.
- Perfect for birthday dinner!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/17/2014My friends and I came here on a Saturday night before we headed out on the town. The tapas were amazing! We got scallops with kale, dates and sausage, paella la taberna, and the spicy potatoes ALL super delicious! The drink menu had a great variety, mixed drinks, wine, sangria and beer. I would highly recommend this place and would definitely come back again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood Gem Worth a RideJoygee3Dined on 5/10/2014Sweet spot near UIC that offers very good tapas and paella, bar scene, and live music that has a presence but doesn't overwhelm conversation. Chose the place for menu and convenience to where I was otherwise committed before and after, but would happily take a ride from the burbs to return for more good eats and ambience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too LoudOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/9/2014The service, the waiter and the food were excellent but the Friday Night live music was unbearable.Special Features:
- Good lunchsmbsDined on 4/21/2014Went here for a casual birthday lunch. Food was great! Serving size was decent. I had their Paella and Ceviche de Gambas, and both were excellent. Their daily lunch special for $12 includes two tapas and a dessert. I like the decor of the place. I has a loft-style space. It actually feels very spacious. The only negative concern I have is how they serve their food. I didn't order soup but for two of my companions who did, their soups were served last, right before the dessert.Special Features:
- Best Sangria EvercwandkdDined on 4/13/2014Try the flight of Sangias. My favorite had fruit, ginger and lavender. Truly Amazing. The bartender was very knowledgeable and the small plate choices ranged from seafood to vegan. In fact, they will make special vegan plates by request. The prices are very reasonable and the quality is outstanding. It is a very nice but relaxed atmosphere and the manager stopped by to make sure everything was to our satisfaction. I can't wait to go back!Special Features:
- Great Food Reasonably PricedNatalieDined on 4/1/2014I have been to this restaurant many times. The food is always the best. Some organic. Very original preparation. Beautiful to look at.Special Features:
- Great lunch at a dinner placeNHKGYDined on 3/17/2014I loved La Taberna for dinner but tried it for lunch & found it equally great. Great lunch special list. Very tasty options. Lovely service. Will do it again (when I can have some sangria with my lunch)!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ExperienceSaoriKidoDined on 3/14/2014We were celebrating my boyfriend's birthday, we've dined here before but usually show up without reservations. Since it was Friday night I chose to reserve one. First of all, I loved how OpenTable allowed me to request a booth & upon arrival there it was, waiting for us. Staff was friendly and service was quick. Their patatas bravas & queso de cabra are amazing, highly recommended Great ambiance, Taberna is able to provide a great experience for romantic dates or a night out with friends, & Friday nights they have live music I loved the gesture, since my boyfriend had a bag that read Happy Birthday, when we ordered dessert, without mentioning anything, the server came out with a candle on his dessert & the live band sang Happy BirthdaySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Tapas in TownOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/23/2014We have been several times at LA Taberna and the food and service is always excellent. We love the presentation of the tapas and the great sangria. But the best dish is definitely their paella. I strongly recommend their delicious paella to anybody who loves Spanish food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Relax & Enjoy the Food & Friends!JonathanDined on 2/21/2014Great place for a group lunch for work and for fun. The staff were very courteous and the food and drinks excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really quite goodJoonbugsyDined on 2/16/2014We enjoyed pretty much all of it. The queso could have been a little more or less something but everything else was spot in. 4 of us and a baby, we ordered at least 8 small plates or more. Had a couple adult beverages and was shocked how inexpensive the bill was. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but could be betterMMEEDined on 2/15/2014I've been to this restaurant before and I remember it being better. Most of the tapas we ordered needed a little more flavor. A little salt will go a long way. It was a full house, so our waiter was very busy. He was very nice, but I think he had way too many tables to tend to, so sometimes we had to wait a while to get him to come to our table. They did have live flamenco dancer and singer, so that was nice. Overall, ok, but not rushing to go back. Café Iberico has better tasting food.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love! Love! Love!BridgeportTracyDined on 2/14/2014I love this restaurant. I have been there with a group, also sat outside, a date, by myself, and I can't say enough about this restaurant. It's beautiful. The staff is friendly, the atmosphere will be whatever you want it to be--romantic to fun. I have never had a tapas or paella I didn't like....as a matter of fact---I've loved everything I've ever tried.Special Features:
- Great sangria and tapasRlundgrenDined on 1/31/2014The service is wonderful. The food is great and the sangria always hits the spot. The bacon wrapped dates are delicious along with the house paella are great eats. Nice ambience and there is usually some type of live music. You can also eat outside in the warmer months.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday nightMicheleDined on 1/25/2014Three people celebrating their birthday on a Saturday night. Two large birthday parties happening while we were there. Live music after 7pm. was very good. Lots of people, excellent food choices made with the help of the waitresses suggestions. Our waitress was very good. However the hostess at the door, could learn how to be welcoming, she had a bit of clueless behavior. No smile, blank stare when you ask a question, as if you were interrupting her, a bit dismissive in attitude. Everyone else was fine, a good place overall.Special Features:
- Great dinner here!AmiTDined on 12/28/2013We loved La Taberna Tapas. We went for my husband's birthday and were not disappointed. The server's recommendations were great. Everything we had was delicious. The live music was fun, but not overwhelmingly loud. Overall great experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First TimeRussDined on 12/9/2013While we picked a terrible night (huge holiday party) the food and service was exceptional. We made the reservation on line not realizing a party would be ongoing. Regardless, the food and the service were excellent. We will definitely go back on a more normal night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious tapas!rosa2417Dined on 11/29/2013I've been here quite a few times, and even brought my 5 year old daughter once for a late night dinner. This place is never full - not sure why. On weekend nights, they have live music so noise levels are higher. Otherwise, it is relatively quiet. If you order tapas, they are brought out separately which seem to be strategically timed. The datiles con tocino are delicious, and my favorite is pollo al curry de costa rica. My sister ordered duck, and the meat was very tender. The sangrias are also good and you're better off getting a pitcher than ordering by glass - you get more for your money. My daughter absolutely loved the desert. It was chocolate lava cake with a scoop of ice cream. The scenery inside is absolutely beautiful.Special Features:
- Great Birthday Dinner With My WifeNick1222Dined on 11/23/2013My wife and I ate here on 11/23/2013 and absolutely loved it. The food was great and came it quick. We literally loved every dish we had. We ordered several tapas plates and each one seemed to come out just as we were finishing the first. We both enjoyed the white sangria as well. Atmosphere was great, and we really enjoyed to two musicians. We'll be back.Special Features:
- Great live musicOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/23/2013The live entertainment was awesome. Really added to the experience. Only tapas place in the area with live music on Saturday night that I could find. Food and service were solid but watch out for the caramelized dates wrapped in bacon,yuck. Would like to talk to chef about this bad combo. I guess, not everything tastes good with bacon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lunch nuggetsEightgr8Dined on 11/14/2013Enjoyed a wonderful lunch. Good service and delectable food. Small plates...my fav! Patatas Bravas on the house!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty tapas, no crowdjkeatsDined on 11/1/2013The food and drinks were excellent overall, and the menu was quite extensive. The waitstaff was very attentive. This is going to become our go-to tapas place since you don't have to fight the crowds like you do at a lot of the downtown and northside tapas places. The ambiance was nice. They had live music (guy playing classical guitar). The only downside was the couple a table ove who brought a small baby that fussed for half of our dinnerSpecial Features:
- Birthday dinnerMeganVIPDined on 10/30/2013Went to La Taberna on a Wednesday night with a group of 8 for my birthday and we had a great time! Everyone loved the food and sangria and the price was reasonable considering the amount that we ordered. Also, I forgot my coat and they were kind enough to hold it for me until the next day when I could come back and pick it up. Will definitely be back here again soon :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ole!GarciaDinesDined on 10/19/2013Excellent food, service was good but a bit inattentive. The live Flamenco was outstanding. A thoroughly enjoyable evening. I will definitely go back.Special Features:
- A wretched experienceLiveToEatDined on 9/29/2013Tapas! Has such a nice ring to it. I love little plates - and we were going to meet a friend in little Italy - what could possibly go wrong? The place looks lovely, then the menu comes and it's laminated. Really? Are we at Wendy's? Or at a restaurant for big people? Nice guy takes our order. We order 4 or 5 dishes and say, bring them slowly - the waiter even repeated the word, "Slowly". We wanted to eat our food hot. All the dishes came at once. I finally started turning them away. The food - RANK. There wasn't a dish there worth wasting the calories on. Wow. How do you get away with that in a city with so much good food?
- Great restaurantShikhaVIPDined on 9/25/2013We had a group of about 20 people and everyone had a great time! The food was great and the service was great. Attentive staff and we are excited to dine there again! Hands down my favorite tapas restaurant in the city!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The tapas overall isn't bad.reviewsDined on 9/22/2013The tapas overall isn't bad. However, we ordered a 4 dollar olive plate that was loaded with run of the mill pimento stuffed olives that you would find in a martini at your local dive bar. Not a bad experience in all, but little things like that will keep me from going back.Special Features: