La Taberna del Alabardero
1776 I Street, NW(Entrance on 18th St.)
Entrance on 18th Street NW
Washington, DC 20006Neighborhood:
SpanishPrice: $50 and over
La Taberna del Alabardero
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.alabardero.com/
- Phone: 2024292200x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday – Friday: 11:30am – 2:30pm; Dinner: Monday – Thursday: 5:30pm – 10:30pm, Friday – Saturday: 5:30pm – 11:00pm, Sunday Lunch 11:30am-2:30pm Dinner 5:30pm-10pm *beginning Sept 16th
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Spanish, Latin / Spanish
- Executive Chef: Javier Romero
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Delivery, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Providing customized catering tailored specifically for you
- Entertainment: We are excited to announce that we already have our Flamenco Show & Dinner set for Saturday, November 10th & Sunday the11th with dancers direct from Spain.
- Special Events: We are pleased to present on Saturday September 29th the music and words of Carlos Núñez, to celebrate the US release of his new CD, “Discover” as well as the beginning of the artist’s US tour.
When: Saturday, September 29th 7pm
Where: Taberna del Alabardero
Cost: $90 per person
A word from La Taberna del Alabardero
The Evolution of Tradition is presented with Executive Chef Javier Romero introducing a new approach to some classic tapas. From old school tapas battling it out to healthy & organic salads, there's something for everyone. Celebrating our 25th Anniversary this 2014 and a young team bringing innovative techniques, we continue to show the best our culture has to offer.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSpanish
La Taberna del Alabardero - Best Restaurants in Downtown ›
La Taberna del Alabardero reviews from OpenTable diners
158 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (106)fit for foodies (85)romantic (79)great for lunch (56)notable wine list (52)great for outdoor dining (33)good for groups (32)neighborhood gem (21)great for brunch (12)vibrant bar scene (9)hot spot (8)kid-friendly (7)late-night find (7)scenic view (2)Show More
- It's so grate place to enjoyOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/10/2008It's so grate place to enjoy in specials ocassion with the family and friends. The food and service are an exelent things that makes anybody wants to come back and recomend to others. Thanksyou very much, I apreciate Your attentions.Special Features:
- A simply wonderful dinner.OpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 5/9/2008A simply wonderful dinner. Everything was delicious and nicely served. Thank you!!
- Taberna del Alabardero hasOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 5/3/2008Taberna del Alabardero has been my favorite restaurant in Washington for almost 20 years.Special Features:
- ambiance and service wereOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/2/2008ambiance and service were great. the food was a major disappointment (we had tapas). absolutely no garnish on any of the dishes, very unappetizing plating. mediocre tapas (Jaleo is much better and more reasonable). excellent sangria and good wine choices by waitstaff. we were there on a friday evening.
- Phenomenal! A real treatOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/2/2008Phenomenal! A real treat for special occasions. The tasting menu was delicious, and paired with the wine selections, it could not have been better. Service was perfect, staff were friendly. A real high point. Wish it were a bit less expensive so I could go more often, but really enjoyed myself.Special Features:
- At first, we thought we wereOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 4/26/2008At first, we thought we were being ignored. It took awhile for a waiter to come over. We ordered paella which was only okay. There was not enough seafood and the mussels and clams tasted salty. Not enough flavor. We were really excited to go to the restaurant because we hadn't been there in a few years but were a bit let down about the service and the food.Special Features:
- The quality of the meal, theOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 4/26/2008The quality of the meal, the wine, and service were superb. The only qualifier is that it should be noted that we ordered the Tasting Food and Wine Menu so excellent food, drink, and service should be expected--and definitely were delivered throughout the evening. I highly recommend Taberna and its Tasting Menu.Special Features:
- For groups, reserve one ofOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 4/26/2008For groups, reserve one of the private rooms. For everyone else, the table distances are fine: far enough to be private, close enough to be vibrant. Note: handicapped people should be aware that the restrooms are up a flight of a stairs.Special Features:
- The sangria was FANTASTIC.OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/26/2008The sangria was FANTASTIC. Dinner was excellent. The desserts were unimpressive and a let-down after an otherwise wonderful meal.Special Features:
- The food and service wereOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 4/25/2008The food and service were great. Outdoor seating was very nice.Special Features:
- Our one complaint was thatOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 4/22/2008Our one complaint was that the Paella was way too salty. We didn't eat much of it. Everything else was wonderful.Special Features:
- I'm a regular at Taberna delOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 4/16/2008I'm a regular at Taberna del Alabardero. The food, service, and ambiance are consistently superb. I have never been disappointed in this beautiful place.Special Features:
- Didn't think that the foodOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/12/2008Didn't think that the food was all that good for the price. The paella was bland. Had much better meals in Spain for a lot less with just as good if not better ambiance.
- We had fantastic service andOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/11/2008We had fantastic service and the restaurant easily handled our order for items that were not on the menu...and those items were great! All in all we had a wonderful time! I'm looking forward to our next visit.Special Features:
- We were disappointed in ourOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/9/2008We were disappointed in our experience at this restuarant. The decor is attractive, but our server could barely speak English. We have visited Spain a number of time and were nostalgic for a Spainish meal, but other than the tapas there was nothing very Spainish about the menu or food.
- Outstanding food; exceptionalOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 4/5/2008Outstanding food; exceptional service. You are a welcome guest in the staff's home.Special Features:
- This is our second trip toOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/5/2008This is our second trip to Taberbna, we will always make a dinner reservation whenever we visit D.C.Special Features:
- Food is great! Will go backOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 4/5/2008Food is great! Will go back again. However, little expensive..Special Features:
- We took a friend from GuatemalaOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/4/2008We took a friend from Guatemala to the Taberna and he enjoyed the overall experience and the food. It was nice to be able to converse without shouting. We might go more often ourselves if our purses were heavier or if the prices were lower. As it is, we can only go for special occasions.Special Features:
- I ordered Chicken Paella andOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/3/2008I ordered Chicken Paella and they brought Seafood Paella...Never sad sorry or seemed apologetic for the mistake, quite the opposite, waiter acted very arrogant like I had been the one who made the mistake. It was a memorable bad experience. paella was terrible, rice was mushy and sticky, flavor awfull!!! Los Espanoles son arrogantesSpecial Features:
- The best Spanish restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 4/1/2008The best Spanish restaurant I have eaten in the US.Special Features:
- Excellent Service, staff veryOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/1/2008Excellent Service, staff very attentive. Food presentation was excellent and dining was superb. My guest said they would definitely returnSpecial Features:
- CONFIRM MENU WITH RESTAURANTOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 3/29/2008CONFIRM MENU WITH RESTAURANT FOR SPECIAL EVENTS! We dined at Taberna during their recent flamenco festival; the restaurant had a fixed-price menu for $75. I do not eat meat--only fish--but luckily the main course according to the restaurant website would be a fish dish. Unfortunately, when we got to the restaurant the fish main course had been changed to an appetizer, and the main course became pork. I alerted the server of this, but he seemed incredulous. Another diner within earshot confirmed my claim, and reiterated it to the server. Overall the food was very good, but unfortunate that the management made such a careless mistake with the menu, and refused to admit it. For $75 I would have expected more.Special Features:
- I have eaten here about 10OpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 3/28/2008I have eaten here about 10 times and have organized special dinners...this place is always excellent for food, wine, and service. The chef, Dani, is quite talented, and we were happy to be dining there on the evening of the restaurant's 19th Anniversary where they had a wonderful Flamenco show.Special Features:
- We had the tapas, which wasOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 3/26/2008We had the tapas, which was beautifully prepared and presented. However, the half-price tapas deal (available only at the bar) should be made more readily known.Special Features:
- As always, great food. IOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 3/26/2008As always, great food. I am going back for dinner Saturday night.Special Features:
- The food was very good asOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 3/21/2008The food was very good as was the ambiance. The service was ... depending on who you asked what for. The maitre'd was great but the wait stuff milled around a lot looking busier than what they actually really were.Special Features:
- The staff was wonderful andOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 3/20/2008The staff was wonderful and made a special effort because it was our anniversary. The food was extraordinary and their wine list is extensive and well priced. It was fabulous!Special Features:
- I often go there includingOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 3/15/2008I often go there including the bar sometimes alone often with friends or wife. I always enjoy Taberna.Special Features:
- Absolutely amazing! I hadOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 2/22/2008Absolutely amazing! I had heard quite a bit about Taberna del Alabardero. I was unprepared for the amazing food, stellar service and overall amazing evening.Special Features:
- We love eating at the TabernaOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 2/20/2008We love eating at the Taberna del Alabardero! The food and service is ALWAYS amazing!! Most highly recommended!
- Best All-Around Restaurant DowntownOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 1/17/2008Hands down the best all-around restaurant in downtown DC: excellent food, excellent service, and a wine list to die for. Unfortunately, as more and more people learn of it, it can be noisy at times.Special Features:
- The bar is fantastic, thoughOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 1/16/2008The bar is fantastic, though small. In winter, cold air from the doorway rushes into the bar area, which tends to be crowded during happy hour (on the positive side: the crowd helps block the cold air). The bartender, Manola, is marvelous. The restaurant is fairly pricey and the food just ok. The bar is the way to go. You'll love the tapas and great drinks.Special Features:
- Everything was delicious,OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 1/5/2008Everything was delicious, including the Spanish wine. Wonderful service: warm, attentive, but not intrusive.Special Features:
- great service. Not the bestOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 12/7/2007great service. Not the best place for vegetarians. They would not make paellas if enough people were not ordering it. but great atmosphere and wine selection.Special Features:
- Our dinner during RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/11/2007Our dinner during Restaurant Week was disappointing with unattentive staff and average food selections.
- I did not have a good experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/9/2007I did not have a good experience at this restaurant at all. A large group of us went for lunch during restaurant week. All of our food was cold or room temperature. The quality of the food (presentation, taste, etc.) was of very poor quality.
- Went for restaurant week -OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/6/2007Went for restaurant week - nobody was impressed, not even satisfied. The food wasn't good at all, and the service was bad. Other friends have gone at different times and have never liked it.
- THESE FOLKS ARE REAL PROFESSIONALS.OpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 12/31/2006THESE FOLKS ARE REAL PROFESSIONALS. NO DETAIL IS TOO SMALL FOR THEM TO OVER LOOK. THE FOOD IS UNIQUE AND OF THE VERY HIGHEST TRADITIONAL STANDARDS. I'VE TRAVELED IN SPAIN MORE THAN A FEW TIMES AND HAVE EATEN IN SOME OF THEIR FINEST RESTAURANTS, NONE WERE BETTER THAN THE TABERNA.Special Features:
- What a fun place- Not as goodOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/19/2006What a fun place- Not as good as the same restaurant in Seville but a favorite in Washington. It is pricier than its Seville sibling. Great wine list and the Lamb was tasty.Special Features: