La Taberna del Alabardero
1776 I Street, NW(Entrance on 18th St.)
Entrance on 18th Street NW
Washington, DC 20006Neighborhood:
SpanishPrice: $50 and over
La Taberna del Alabardero
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.alabardero.com/
- Phone: 2024292200x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday – Friday: 11:30am – 2:30pm; Dinner: Monday – Thursday: 5:30pm – 10:30pm, Friday – Saturday: 5:30pm – 11:00pm, Sunday Lunch 11:30am-2:30pm Dinner 5:30pm-10pm *beginning Sept 16th
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Spanish, Latin / Spanish
- Executive Chef: Javier Romero
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Delivery, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Providing customized catering tailored specifically for you
- Entertainment: We are excited to announce that we already have our Flamenco Show & Dinner set for Saturday, November 10th & Sunday the11th with dancers direct from Spain.
- Special Events: We are pleased to present on Saturday September 29th the music and words of Carlos Núñez, to celebrate the US release of his new CD, “Discover” as well as the beginning of the artist’s US tour.
When: Saturday, September 29th 7pm
Where: Taberna del Alabardero
Cost: $90 per person
A word from La Taberna del Alabardero
The Evolution of Tradition is presented with Executive Chef Javier Romero introducing a new approach to some classic tapas. From old school tapas battling it out to healthy & organic salads, there's something for everyone. Celebrating our 25th Anniversary this 2014 and a young team bringing innovative techniques, we continue to show the best our culture has to offer.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSpanish
La Taberna del Alabardero - Best Restaurants in Downtown ›
La Taberna del Alabardero reviews from OpenTable diners
158 reviews since June 4, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (104)fit for foodies (84)romantic (79)notable wine list (54)great for lunch (53)good for groups (32)great for outdoor dining (30)neighborhood gem (24)great for brunch (12)vibrant bar scene (9)hot spot (8)late-night find (7)kid-friendly (6)scenic view (2)Show More
- Was not impressed!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/5/2014The food was ok, it's more of a old school traditional rest. I don't think I will be going back Nothing impressive!
- Wonderful spanish foodPepiDined on 4/1/2014I'm Spanish and food in this restaurant is like my grandmother's food so far. I have enjoyed a lot with the food and also having a beer from my city Granada. Alhambra the best beer ever!!!!!Special Features:
- AwesomeJGM1Dined on 3/30/2014A true gem in the Washington cuisine landscape, a magnificent gourmet experience, not cheap but worth visitingSpecial Features:
- Was expecting much better,RJSootyDined on 3/28/2014Was expecting much better, based on glowing reviews.
- Great for official dinnerGemmaDined on 3/24/2014We went here with a group of 14 and this was no problem at all. Great service, food & wine!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too SaltyChiron83VIPDined on 3/19/2014The service is excellent and it looks like an up-scale restaurant. However, every course was overly salty.
- My Spanish friends loved itOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/18/2014I took Spanish and Hispanic guests, and plain old Gringos to dinner and everyone loved the food, the service, and the restaurant. Two of the guests were young teens and every wait staffer was solicitous of their needs. And the food was scrumptious. With wine and even with no desert, a tad pricey but all would vote to go eat there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A night in SpainBillNVIPDined on 3/15/2014We returned for our second visit to La Taberna, which still impresses us as very European Spanish in all regards: ambiance, menu, professionalism and warmth of staff, and late evening energy. We were thrilled to see huevos fritos as an appetizer, having never seen it before in the US, and my wife's oxtail was sublime. The kitchen skipped only one beat for us, and served a roast sucklng pig that was too dry and overly endowed with bone. The wine list was extensive, and while not cheap, great choices were available at reasonable value. An interesting dessert combined ice cream with cheese, a creative logical extension of a more classic cheese plate paired with fruit or preserves.Special Features:
- Exquisite ExperienceWineauxInAlexandriaVIPDined on 3/15/2014This was a fantastic experience. We enjoyed the 7-course tasting menu. The courses were heavily dominated by seafood -- octopus, squid, scallops, corvina -- and all delicious. The staff were great. You will be well served. The restaurant itself is beautiful...once you walk through the doors you feel as though you have been transported to Madrid or Sevilla. A recommendation ... maybe make reservations early and request a table with a street view; or, alternatively, a table with a view of the kitchen is also fun. The problem, the fantastically, exquisite experience does not come without a high cost.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great AmbienceAlessandroVIPDined on 3/15/2014The red and cream decor made for a classy "belle epoch" ambience. The food, however, was merely good. It lacked seasoning and flavor and failed to excite in any way.
- returned after many yearsandre1010Dined on 3/15/2014I went back to Taberna del Alabardero after over a decade of not making it over there. the service was very professional but very very slow. the 5 course dinner took 3 hours. the food was overall sumptuous with appropriate portion size. Had great mushroom soup to start. the steak in wine sauce was not a good cut at all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place for diningTonyVIPDined on 3/15/2014excellent service, great food, great atmosphere, unique menuSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great deal with a Travelzoo voucherMattDined on 3/14/2014While this is probably out of our price range without the voucher, I'm glad we got to go! The food and service were great, from start to finish. Highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top Notch ExperienceDebyVIPDined on 3/13/2014What a wonderful experience! From the beginning to the end of the night, every aspect of the dinner was superb. We were using a certificate for the dinner, but had not brought the correct one. There was no problem at all and the waiter took care of everything. I was able to find the correct one the next day and fax it to the restaurant. With all the new restaurants in this city, it is comforting to know that an established place continues to serve wonderful food and wine, along with excellent service. There is just no substitute for a wait staff that so clearly takes service to their customers seriously and with grace. We will be back, again, soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasting menuOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 3/8/2014We had a special deal on the tasting menu. The waiter spent a lot of time with us because of our dietary restrictions/preferences. The food was truly exceptional. We had been there before, but we think the food has improved with the new chef!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious food in beautiful roomsOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 3/8/2014Varied menu, food with a Spanish twist. Nice wines. Attractive presentation. Nice place for a special evening--the atmosphere feels like this is not the usual restaurant. Noise level low so you can talk, but still bustling.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Taken With The TabernaCapDealerDined on 3/8/2014After a shaky start with a reservations misunderstanding, we felt our Taberna experience could have gone in any direction. Fortunately, it went only in the best of directions. Superb service, every courtesy, a perfect pace, brilliant wine pairing recommendations, offerings ranging from very, very good (cream of lentil soup) to just about sublime (sea bream over wild mushrooms) (with some great "stops in between) - our evening at La Taberna was outstanding. This is not an inexpensive outing, BUT the value question is not provoked - which means simply, it was more than worth it! We look forward to returning in the near future, bringing friends and/or family along to introduce them to a very special "sense of Espana" in our nation's capitol.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing food, poor serviceLizzieVIPDined on 3/7/2014My husband and I shared an amazing meal here, but the service fell far below the quality of the food here. Our waiter ignored us for 20 mins, then came by infrequently, and then actually left for the night without passing us off to another waiter. We finally had to flag someone down to get our check.Special Features:
- Expensive and uninterestingJKSimmonsDined on 3/5/2014Way too expensive with a rather limited menu, i.e. too many similar choices and no exciting ones. The food was nice, but nothing as special as the price would indicate.Special Features:
- Worst dinner I had in DC in a whileTmo2013VIPDined on 3/2/2014went there for the tasting menu which was an assembly of left overs of the day. I would seriously fire the chef if this was my restaurant. The flan was more like rubber, probably because it was old or bought somewhere else. We will never go back to this place, where the waiters don't even know what they are talking about. Oh, I forgot... if they ever show up after you ordered your dinner. Don't waste your time going there...Special Features:
- Royal atmosphereDinningDCDined on 3/1/2014The ambience and the atmosphere transports the guests to the XVIII th century of Spain. The food was delicious including the iberico ham. Wine was very good and the chocolate truncheon with hot raspberry cream was the perfect ending. Highly recommend the experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful! Wonderful!OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 2/28/2014I had not eaten here in at least 10 years, so I was long overdue. In a word, everything was wonderful. I have no complaints at all. We had the seven course tasting menu. I can't remember all of the dishes, but we loved each and every one. The only "disappointment" was that one of the desserts was rice pudding. I have an intense dislike of rice pudding. When our (also wonderful) waiter noticed that I had shoved the pudding to the side, he offered to bring me something else. I declined, but I really appreciated the offer. My husband (who is not rice pudding phobic) declared that the pudding was very good. I certainly won't wait another ten years for a return visit!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of DC's BesthmbrVIPDined on 2/27/2014One of DC's best all around pleasers. Try the multiple course meals--enough to fill up anyone in style!Special Features:
- Good food in lovely settingSBS50Dined on 2/27/2014The interior is beautiful, the atmosphere (on a weeknight anyway) was peaceful, the service impeccable including good recommendations that didn't break the bank, and most of the food was excellent. Two of us shared a paella (is only done for two or more) and the third had the suckling pig. We shared an outstanding artichoke/iberico ham/prawn appetizer, enjoyed very good bread and olives, four glasses of Spanish wine (the monastrell was server's recommendation and it was spot on), and two cappucinos. Bill before tip came to about $175. The paella was the only disappointment. It was just okay - I've made a paella that was as good for my taste. But everything else was great. Next time, I'd try more of the tapas & try desserts.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous food and first rateJohnVIPDined on 2/22/2014Fabulous food and first rate service. Not to be missed.
- awesomeMattDined on 2/20/2014La Taberna has always been one of my favorite restaurants, not just in DC, but anywhere. I've never experienced anything less than perfection here!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 10/10 Valentine's Day dinnerfredDined on 2/16/2014I don't typically write reviews for restaurants, but La Taberna del Alabardero far and away exceeded all my expectations for the night. I took my girlfriend on a Sunday night for a belated Valentine's Day dinner. In my reservation, I made a comment that it was a Valentine's Day dinner and I requested a more intimate table location. The waiters specifically set aside an intimate table in the corner of the restaurant complete with rose petals scattered on the table, candles and seclusion. Their service was exceptionally professional and they made us feel right at home. Their willingness and enthusiasm to speak Spanish was very welcome. The 5 course meal was fantastic and an adventure for our taste buds. Cannot wait to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous Spanish restaurantSpanishloverDined on 2/15/2014This is restaurant has an authentic Spanish environment. We went on Valentines Day weekend and they had a special. The restaurant was decorated with Valentines motives. The croquettes were very fine, the octopus and shrimp appetizers had a fabulous flavor. Then for entrées the 'solomillo' was one of the best filet mignon I have ever had. The dessert was a potpourri of mini desserts all in red to match the occasion. During dinner a couple of guitar players entertained the customers. When we left, the ladies received a red rose. This restaurant is highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SpecialDoctorDined on 2/15/2014I go often to Taberna for special occasions,,,,and it never disappoints.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Service...Mediocre MealOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/15/2014Received a gift card for the holidays and took my wife on a Saturday night. Service was excellent and attentive. First appetizer I ordered was not available (baby squid). We had the VERY EXPENSIVE prosciutto which was OK as an appetizer. Wife ordered the lamb shank which was good. I ordereed the duck paella. It was unbelievably bland. No flavor. Noting like I rember from Valencia. Overall a nice place which had probably seen better days. Thought the chef/kitchen staff mailed it in.Special Features:
- WonderfulScottdinerdcVIPDined on 2/14/2014All beautifully decorated with balloon hearts and roses for valentines day, this wonderful Spanish restaurant never fails to disappointSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Restaurant in DCOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/14/2014The decor, the service, ambiance, and outstanding food and wine make this my favorite restaurant for any special occasion. This is a restaurant for adult lovers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- La Taberna del AlarbaderoBmanVIPDined on 2/12/2014La Taberna del Alarbadero is an excellent place to combine a high quality meal with a quiet atmosphere. Exactly what I was looking for and I will definitely go back.Special Features:
- Great food, better serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/8/2014Some friends and I got bumped from our original reservation on Saturday, so we decided to go to La Taberna del Alabardero since we hadn't been in a few years. It was pretty much everything we had remembered. Delicious, classic Spanish cooking, awesome wine list (with very reasonably priced glasses), and amazing service. Attentive and gracious but not smothering. I'm glad we got bumped from our other reservation!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chefs Tasting MenuBagoDined on 2/8/2014New experience in tastes Everything was contemporary and delicious!Special Features:
- great kitchen and serviceJamesDined on 1/29/2014Open Table misled on parking. recommended parking at a garage one block away but there is parking adjacent to the restaurant with complimentary parking. The restaurant is pricey but worth it.
- Five Stars PLUS!FredRVIPDined on 1/29/2014l very much appreciated the VIP treatment. The food was delicious, awesome presentation, and great theater watching their table service. Very special meal on an ordinary very cold day. AND a fantastic bar (drinks and bartender). Five++ stars from me!Special Features:
- Good food but a tad overpricedOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/24/2014We had the tasting menu. 3 of the courses were excellent. The steak was mediocre and disappointing and the desert was creative but not particularly flavorful (flan and ice cream). The wines were a tad overpriced for quality. The razor clams were a little underdone and could have used more olive oil and pepper for flavor. But the service was outstanding. Attentive, regular and they changed cutlery for each course which fantastic. I would recommend with the caveat that you choose your food with care and stay away from the tasting menus.Special Features:
- Always a PleasureHoneybeeGDined on 1/24/2014It's always a pleasure to eat at Taberna del Alabardero. The service is amazing and the menu a real treat because it always changes a little bit with the seasons. There's always something new among the familiar. I have a difficult to work around food allergy and they always help me to make sure I eat safely. The wine list is wide ranging and delicious. This time we completely trusted the sommelier to pair wines with the foods we ordered and we weren't disappointed, even though it was busy lunch service. Our waiter also served us about a year ago -- the last time we visited -- and he remembered us and details of where we sat, what we ate, and what we talked about. Incredible!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Geat Evening at the TabernaOpenTable Diner Since 2001Dined on 1/23/2014It was absolutely frigid but validated parking was just next door to the restaurant. We had the "Restaurant Week" menu which began with shared tapas and progressed to a choice of several paellas. Dessert choice was limited but since one was Crema Catalan, a softer version of a creme brulle and a favorite ours, we didn't mind. Service was attentive and efficient. When they did not have the wine we selected for dinner, they gave us a more expensive one at the price of the original selection. That, we thought, was quite nice. There were four of us at a fairly large table and early in the evening ambient noise was a bit high for easy conversation, but things improved as the evening wore on. A great evening!Special Features: