La Taberna del Alabardero
1776 I Street, NW(Entrance on 18th St.)
Entrance on 18th Street NW
Washington, DC 20006Neighborhood:
SpanishPrice: $50 and over
La Taberna del Alabardero
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.alabardero.com/
- Phone: 2024292200x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday – Friday: 11:30am – 2:30pm; Dinner: Monday – Thursday: 5:30pm – 10:30pm, Friday – Saturday: 5:30pm – 11:00pm, Sunday Lunch 11:30am-2:30pm Dinner 5:30pm-10pm *beginning Sept 16th
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Spanish, Latin / Spanish
- Executive Chef: Javier Romero
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Delivery, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Providing customized catering tailored specifically for you
- Entertainment: We are excited to announce that we already have our Flamenco Show & Dinner set for Saturday, November 10th & Sunday the11th with dancers direct from Spain.
- Special Events: We are pleased to present on Saturday September 29th the music and words of Carlos Núñez, to celebrate the US release of his new CD, “Discover” as well as the beginning of the artist’s US tour.
When: Saturday, September 29th 7pm
Where: Taberna del Alabardero
Cost: $90 per person
A word from La Taberna del Alabardero
The Evolution of Tradition is presented with Executive Chef Javier Romero introducing a new approach to some classic tapas. From old school tapas battling it out to healthy & organic salads, there's something for everyone. Celebrating our 25th Anniversary this 2014 and a young team bringing innovative techniques, we continue to show the best our culture has to offer.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSpanish
La Taberna del Alabardero - Best Restaurants in Downtown ›
La Taberna del Alabardero reviews from OpenTable diners
158 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (106)fit for foodies (85)romantic (79)great for lunch (56)notable wine list (52)great for outdoor dining (33)good for groups (32)neighborhood gem (21)great for brunch (12)vibrant bar scene (9)hot spot (8)kid-friendly (7)late-night find (7)scenic view (2)Show More
- FABULOUS!!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/16/2014Very elegant, old world, relaxing, fine dining with an incredible wine list! Not inexpensive..but worth every penny.Special Features:
- We love it!CapHillTravellerVIPDined on 9/5/2014Our absolute favorite in DC! THE best pace in Foggy Bottom! A must A bit of Spain om DC Excellent food, excellent selection, and a fabulous wine wine list! Gustavo is one of the best wine specialists in the city!Special Features:
- A little pricey, but a good mealjseelkeDined on 9/4/2014We had a Gilt City for La Taberna (three tapas and a pitcher of sangria)...we ordered two other tapas and a dessert as well...without the voucher it would have been pretty pricey, but with it, it made the meal a decent price for really great food. There is free parking after 5:30 pm in a lot next door which also helps on the cost. The sangria hit the spot on a warm day - we only had two people split the pitcher, which was more than enough. All of the tapas (except for the lechon, which was not what either of us expected) were fantastic. Five tapas was a good amount to share between two peopleSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great friendly business lunchLuisDined on 9/2/2014I invited two important overseas business friends for lunch at Taberna. They loved the place and the food so much they could not stop talking about it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always the bestFreespeechDined on 8/27/2014We have another great lunch. Everything was perfect, from the service to the quality of the food. I will always come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Need to g food back up to par!Julito1VIPDined on 8/26/2014While the food was good it was not well seasoned and the presentation was better than the taste. Slipping!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and moodMomonthegoDined on 8/25/2014While the executive lunch menu never disappoints, I opted for an entree of grouper which was tasty!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Spanish restaurant in townfoodie007VIPDined on 8/22/2014Fantastic Restaurant week menu: 4 tapas each, one paella to share and dessert. Everything was cooked perfectly. The staff couldn't be more attentive. Haven't been to this longstanding restaurant in DC; all the raves are about the other celebrity chefs. This place serves the best Spanish food, that's why they've survived here so long. Try it.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrificfoodie007VIPDined on 8/21/2014Went there for Restaurant week. Best menu I've encountered all week. Food cooked perfectly. Service was likewise. Just the best Spanish restaurant in town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingSomeDudeDined on 8/20/2014Great food, fantastic service, attractive decor, has been great every visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Like a dreamMelanieFInDCVIPDined on 8/19/2014You feel like you have been plucked from downtown DC and placed in Spain. Delish and decadent. They have a vegetarian menu if you ask for it.
- Best paellaKimvaDined on 8/17/2014We went there for DC restaurant week and unfortunately Paella was not included in the menu. So we ordered tapas and paella from the regular menu. It was expensive but it was best paella I have tasted in DC area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reliable excellenceGordonVIPDined on 8/17/2014Again I express the opinion that the T de A is a world class restaurant. I have been a loyal patron for two decades now. In addition to occasional dining, there are two really great rooms for private dining with guests, both spectaclar, one formal, one intimate.Special Features:
- amertumeDined on 8/16/2014I liked the food here a lot - my friends and I went here for DC Restaurant Week and while the portions were smaller, the meal filled us. The food doesn't seem to have THAT much of a Spanish taste or infusion, but the food was very well made and well seasoned. Presentation was nice, too. Service was attentive and our waiter in particular was charming and responsive. When we were forced to wait about 20 minutes past our reservation time, I think the owner of the restaurant came out to apologize himself and the hostess herself was very courteous. The place is very bougie looking, for lack of better word. Very regal and fancy looking, lighting was ample, though, so you're not just eating in the dark or in lighting that strains your eyes.Special Features:
- birthday dinnerlilliDined on 8/16/2014the decor is very nice, service was ok. There were six in our party and the restaurant wasn't busy. The wine list was good. We expected myriad tapas off the regular menu but found the list rather limited and devoid of vegetables, salads, but there was gazpacho. We ordered meats and cheeses that were nothing special. There was a terribly sweet soft "cheese" that was reminiscent of buttercream frosting. we ordered Paella that was anything but paella. At best it was "dirty rice" from a box mix with three or four pieces of overcooked shrimp a scallop no detected sausage, chorizo or chicken and scant vegetables - no taste, not even salt and definitely no saffron. the food was poor quality and poorly prepared. not recommended for anything.
- Nothing spectacularFefeDined on 8/16/2014I thought the Restuarant was very avg but the service above average. The waiters made you feel upscale and were very attentive to your needs. If my glass was empty the wine would flow (we purchased a bottle that they kept on ice near by) the plates were removed when needed. The food was good not great. I don't have anything bad to say. Bathrooms were outdated as far as style but VERY CLEAN.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- trying out new place, not returninglinasDined on 8/16/2014Went there for restaurant week lunch to try a new local spot for me. In the end it's all about food, and this was bad. Every dish ordered came out very fast and either cold or barely warm. The mushroom appetizer was soaking in cold sauce, and the pasta was the same. Steak wasn't juicy or crispy, just watery - not even sure how they did it. Fish was completely soaked on water. Creme brulé for dessert, had been overdone, and was hard to crack, as the top layer was as hard as glass. Oh well, we tried..Special Features:
- AuthenticSpaniardsoulDined on 8/15/2014The most authentic Spanish food you can find in DC. The rich red walls and traditional old Spanish decor transports you across the ocean and to a different era but the food is true the current culture. It's absolutely my favorite place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great service + dishes, bad decorchampangetasteDined on 8/15/2014We went for dinner during Restaurant Week before going to a show. Our waiter spoke perfect Spanish and was attentive but not intrusive. The dishes were authentic and reminded me of home. However, the decor also reminded me of home...my grandmother's old flat. The paintings of toreadors, carved wood, heavy chandeliers and blood fed velvet sprayed everywhere ...it was dreadful. And the looped recording of Flemenco singing was almost funny it was so cliche. Upscale restaurants in Spain do not look like this, even traditional ones. LTA needs to redecorate soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not a restaurant for vegetariansSautemoutonDined on 8/15/2014Wonderful atmosphere, good service but horrible vegetarian food. They have a special menu for vegetarians so by that fact they admit they can cook vegetarian. However, the courses I choose were absolutely horrible. The food had no favor. My husband had non-vegetarian food and it was good. Very disappointing. To the restuarant's credit, when they asked how I liked it and I told them, they did not charge me for my meal. That was very good business move and we will return and next time, I will try non-vegetarian.
- excellentBruceDined on 8/14/2014once again, Taberna del Alabardero was excellent in all respectsSpecial Features:
- DisappointmentSSPZ214VIPDined on 8/13/2014Their restaurant week menu was embarrassing. The food that we had on our visit was cheap and poorly prepared. I had the mac & cheese surf & turf to start, which was basically wheat pasta with frozen shrimp and no sauce. She had the mushroom dish, which appeared to be canned mushrooms in too much sauce. The entrees were the real disappointment. I ordered the pork loin and when it arrived, I felt like I'd been pranked. First, it was three thin slices of stacked & overcooked pork. But, the real kicker was that it was served with a topping of what appeared to be Lays potato chips. She had the salmon, which was $3 extra to eat an overcooked cut of fish. For dessert, the rice pudding was EXTREMELY watery. We just left it. Very amateur.Special Features:
- Incredible FoodhungryVIPDined on 8/13/2014This restaurant is consistently a great place to dine! The service is impeccable and the food is always interesting and flavorful with a perfect presentation. The restaurant has a great atmosphere and everything lends to being very authentic.Special Features:
- A popular placeOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/13/2014This place is located on the outer edge of my weekday "lunching grounds". I had passed by it many times on my way to the IMF and always made a note to try it sometime. I finally took the time and took my wife. I regret that I had not done this sooner. You know you have found a great ethnic restaurant when many of the patrons are clearly from that locale. Large groups of Spanish-speaking people populated Taberna the lunchtime we went. A definite indicator. The meal was exquisite with considerable attention to detail and presentation. Each was a complex blend of distinct tastes that challenges every palette. Warning; the sauces are so rich I believe it is best to have a glass of wine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!!lovegoodfoodDined on 8/13/2014This was my first time at the Restaurant and I definatly love it. The food was delicious and the service excellent!!! Thumbs up.Special Features:
- First timer who will return!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/13/2014From start to finish my colleagues and I enjoyed our time at this restaurant. Not only did the restaurant accommodate us comfortably in their group room but the service was throughout was wonderful. We were welcomed by the staff and treated with respect. The food was beautiful in both appearance and richness of taste. I had passed this place many times but decided to try it for restaurant week. I will definitely return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good restaurant.NadiaDined on 8/13/2014It was the restaurant week. Good menu and good service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Romantic and ExpensiveRahpatchVIPDined on 8/12/2014Perfect restaurant for restaurant week. The very expensive menu is actually worth it for RW prices. Great find as a foodie. This was my first time. Waiter kinda rushed us but food was so great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excelent!MBE1983Dined on 8/11/2014We celebrated our anniversary dining at La Taberna del Alabardero. It was Restaurant Week and the menu was extensive, with plenty of options. I ordered the gazpacho, the merluza and the crema catalana. Everything was delicious and the service was outstanding, just what you would expect from a place like this. Perfect for special occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dineandwineDined on 8/11/2014My husband and I have been going to Taberna for the last 3 years and it never fails me. We entertain friends and we come here at least twice a month. Food, wine, the people are all very friendly. Everything is just superb. I hope it continues at this levelSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cheers to 25 years of success!DCFoodieVIPDined on 8/11/2014I was completely blown away at the high level of service & the quality of the dishes. The portions were just right. I enjoyed my dining experience so much, I'll go back for the extended restaurant week when they serve tapas! I recommend this place to anyone wanting good food when they're in downtown DC. You will not be disappointed.Special Features:
- Delicious!Fiamma11Dined on 8/11/2014The food was delicious and fun. The service was among the best I have encountered. A true gem!Special Features:
- Outstanding serviceTravelerDined on 8/9/2014The service is outstanding. Food is just fair. This restaurant is good for special occasion.Special Features:
- Best of the Best in DC!QueenBeeBuzzDined on 8/8/2014We were thrilled with our lovely experience at La Taberna del Alabardero! What a find! They treated us like gold and the food was delicious! The restaurant is gorgeous and the whole night was magical. Thanks to Javier and the staff for night of perfection!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Elgordo01Dined on 8/5/2014Very good food and wonderful ambience. Fantastic service!Special Features:
- Wish it were better!eddieVIPDined on 8/2/2014An uneven dining experience with some great dishes such as the Croquetas and the Razor Clams. There was a fine dish that could have been warmer, the Piquillo Relleno. The entries were an okay Monkfish and an unhappily dry Grouper. The desserts were enjoyable (the Flan) to just okay (the tiramisu). The vino was very good! Service is hard to pin down. There was a wait for the appetizers but the wine was always poured on time. We hope to go back but we are not committed. Parking is free in the next door garage which is a blessing in the neighborhood. We wish we could say more though we are sorry that we didn't try the Iberian ham. We give it a less than enthusiastic recommendation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely but priceyAndreaKVIPDined on 8/2/2014This is a lovely restaurant for special occasions. The food and service are wonderful but the prices are extremely high. Expect to pay $100 per person before taxes and gratuities. The portions are also on the nouvelle side.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent paellaKikaDined on 7/31/2014I brought a group of friends from work. We had the paella Valenciana. It was excellent.Special Features:
- GordonGordonVIPDined on 7/24/2014Again, in my personal view, having dined in excellent restaurants in the US, Canada, Europe, Mexico, South America, the Caribbean, and the Far East, I hold to the view that this is the best restaurant, all things considered, that I have ever been to. I have been a patron for as long as the Taberna came to Washington, DC, and I have never been disappointed. My guests are always awed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Spanish restaurant in DCAndrewVIPDined on 7/23/2014Taberna del Alabardero is celebrating its 25th annivesary in Washington and still going strong! Always a pleasure to dine in its elegant rooms, eat and drink its delicious food and wines, and be served by its professional staff.Special Features: