La Strada Ristorante Italiano
335 University Avenue
Palo Alto, CA 94301Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
La Strada Ristorante Italiano
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.lastradapaloalto.com/
- Phone: 6503248300x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday 11:30am - 10:00pm
Friday - Saturday: 11:30am - 11:00pm
Sunday: 11:30am - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Augustus Remo
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Bring a taste of Italy to your family reunion or holiday celebration with catering from La Strada. Chef Augustus Remo will bring his talents to your table. With his menu personally tailored to your desire, your guests will leave raving about the culinary creations.
- Private Party Facilities: Our Saletta Private Dining Room seats up to 25 guests and has a 30 guest capacity for standing cocktail parties. We offer 3 - 6 course prix fixe menus personally catered to your desire by Chef Remo. For larger parties of up to 120 guests, we do offer the option of a buyout of the main dining room.
- Private Party Contact: Stella 6503248300x
A word from La Strada Ristorante Italiano
The Giovannotto family and Chef Augustus Remo welcome you to La Strada Ristorante Italiano in the heart of downtown Palo Alto. Chef Remo's seasonal menus meld the finest of Italian ingredients with the freshest local produce. In addition, a daily "La Cenetta," a 3-course dinner, offers the savvy palate with items a bit above and beyond the seasonal menu. Each and every dish from the traditional homemade pastas and pizzas to the most contemporary dishes exhibit the expertise and precision of Chef Remo's training and passion.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
La Strada Ristorante Italiano reviews from OpenTable diners
37 reviews since April 22, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (14)great for lunch (12)neighborhood gem (8)fit for foodies (6)special occasion (6)romantic (5)good for groups (4)kid-friendly (3)notable wine list (3)great for brunch (2)late-night find (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- Bom restauranteJujubaDined on 8/11/2014Fui com meu filho de 8 anos. Comida ok (risoto vegetariano e frango com pure de batatas) e servico simpatico. Ambiente agradavel...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- best italianOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/9/2014the food and service outstanding. 5 stars. on university avenue and parking around the corner.Special Features:
- La Strada is lovelyJudithlhVIPDined on 7/28/2014This was our second lunch at La Strada. The first time was unexpected -- we ended up there because they had a table. But this time we took friends because our first experience was quite nice. It's a pleasant place, with open-air tables that are near but not on the street. You can have a modest, well-prepared three-course lunch (pasta, salad, gelato) for a really modest $15. The sandwiches are huge and the ahi salad I had, while not unusual, was tasty and attractive. The wine list is better than average and the service was excellent. You can sit, enjoy your lunch and watch the world go by on University Avenue. Why not?Special Features:
- Not that greatMavenDined on 7/25/2014I ordered pizza, thin crust, vegetarian, and there was way too much water, so the crust was soggy. My partner's pasta with seafood was good. The salads and antipasti were quite good. The risotto for another companion looked like it had been spooned out of a big pot and plopped into a fried tortilla shell, cute but not real risotto. The noise level was highly uncomfortable. Our waiter was attentive, but after the bill was paid and we wanted to linger (it was 10 pm and there were lots of empty tables) we were ignored when out water glasses were empty, and one participant who ordered decaf coffee got no offer for a refill. Mind you, this was ordinary decaf.
- Always a good mealRhinoVIPDined on 7/16/2014Never been disappointed by the meal or service. Had the fish, the pastas and meat offerings without a bad meal.
- Perfect!FoodTravelerDined on 7/7/2014On a warm Palo Alto evening, we were lucky to be seated outside. A good people watching spot. The service was great, unobtrusive but dependable. We ordered the caprese salad and beet salad, and enjoyed them both (although the beet salad could have used a bit more greens). Our entrees were lasagna (him) and the butternut squash ravioli (yum!). The wine by the glass was reasonably priced. Overall, a great experience and we will definitely be back.Special Features:
- mixed bagchocloveVIPDined on 7/3/2014My daughter and I ate at La Strada on a lovely summer evening. It was my first time there, I have been meaning to try it for many years. The ambiance was wonderful, and the service was terrific, we told the waiter we had to leave for a movie in under an hour, and he had our food at the table very quickly. I had a beet salad that was excellent. I also had a seafood ravioli special, but found the ravioli to be under cooked and I also felt the dish was quite over salted.
- Great for Lunchoutoftowner1Dined on 6/28/2014Perfect lunch spot. Conveniently located right on University. Menu has great variety--everything tasted as god as it sounded on the menu. Plenty of options for foodies, grownups and kids too. Some outdoor dining which is nice. Staff attentive and food arrived promptly. Ambiance was comfortable and casual but not chain-y or kid oriented. Would definitely return.Special Features:
- EatoutDined on 6/20/2014salmon was perfectly prepared; good Italian both basics and beyondSpecial Features:
- good neighborhood stapleJjnycVIPDined on 6/17/2014i had fish and it was good but overcooked/slightly dry. Wine list is nice. My friend is vegetarian and there were only 2 options and the waiter wasn't willing to discuss having some of the pasta dishes served without meat.Special Features:
- Nice Italian BistroGreatLunchVIPDined on 5/20/2014THe ingredients are fresh and great taste. For lunch they have very good menu. Great wine. Great Service. Nice location.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- perfect vibe for friendsbattlesysadminDined on 5/14/2014Four of us had a mini reunion here. The service was attentive without being intrusive. The entrees were delicious and generous. I don't recommend the pizza, but both fish dishes, pasta, steak, and the side dishes we had were all good. The bread was warm... I love that. It seemed towards the end that the place was closing, as we had stayed a long time and were beginning to be hovered over, Not sure if it was indeed closing time or not, but nevertheless, I had a 100% enjoyable evening out with friends at La Strada.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- la strada palo altooliverVIPDined on 5/10/2014used to be really good but i suspect that ownership has changed and there isn't an italian within a mile.......
- Good Food. Very Good Service.klinpvDined on 5/3/2014Food is good, but the menu & wine list is a bit limited. Buckwheat pappardelle & pizza both good, sausage ravioli very good.Special Features:
- The following 182 reviews are from the La Strada Ristorante Italiano reviews archive.
- Average food at great locationOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 4/13/2014Great location in Palo Alto downtown. Nice outdoor seating but food was pretty average and little disappointing. Service was goodSpecial Features:
- Not your average Italiina fareRDM1234Dined on 4/7/2014I like this restaurant a lot. It's menu is a less ordinary than most moderately priced Italian restaurants. The service if friendly without being officious or pretnetious. The wine list is small but well chosen. I've eaten here for lunch and dinner and always feel I got very good food a good value.Special Features:
- Great Food...but service subpar...SusanneVIPDined on 3/22/2014We thoroughly enjoyed every delicious dish at this University Avenue restaurant in Palo Alto. The pasta are particularly wonderful. However, the service did not measure up. We had to practically trip people to get refills of water glasses, wine, and bread baskets. Maybe service is not so chaotic on a weeknight. (We were there prime time Saturday evening.) I think we will return because of the good food we enjoyed!Special Features:
- Foodie LoverFoodForThotDined on 3/21/2014Loved La Strada Ristorante. 5 stars on all categories. Will plan to go again and again. Presentation of food was interesting and artfully thoughtful. Delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brusque ServiceMitchDined on 3/13/2014We really enjoyed our meal here, but our waitress was abrupt and neglected to ask the appropriate questions, e.g., when one diner asked for coffee, she nodded and walked away instead of asking if any of the other diners wanted coffee too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An old favorite. Good people.OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 3/9/2014An old favorite. Good people. Good food. A little "worn" around the edges, but comfy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable dinnerCKinMarinVIPDined on 3/1/2014We had a good dinner here last Saturday night. Te panzanella was delicious and the butternut squash ravioli quite tasty. Others at our table had the vegetable and quail risottos and both were enjoyed. Only downside was that they would not pour a 1/2 glass of wine after we had already ordered a few glasses. They lost out as we then did not order any more wine. Still, would recommend to friends and we will likely return.Special Features:
- This used to be extremely good!KyraEVIPDined on 2/17/2014I had a lunch meeting with a banker and suggest La Strada since they really had good food in the past. I was so apologetic to my guests because it took 1hr 15 minutes to serve our food and the rest of the tables are getting theirs before us! Very, very disappointing. Out of the 4 main courses we ordered only the pizza was good. I will never return here again. What happened to this restaurant? This used to be so good- food and service wise!
- Mediocre food, bad table positionFrancopdDined on 2/14/2014The food is very mediocre. Being born and raised in Italy, I always doubt of Italian restaurants that have Italian words misspelled ("rissotto", "proscuitto"...). It's usually a sign that it's not authentic Italian. The pizza was average, the gnocchi with ragu were of poor quality. However, my main complaint is that I booked 2 days in advance and requested a table next to the wall or on a corner, not in the middle of the room. Repeated my request when they called me in the morning to confirm my reservation. At the end my table was in the middle of the room and in front of a door that they were keeping opening and closing. Dessert was the only good part. Not coming back.Special Features:
- La Strada - Good but ....OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 2/14/2014We made a reservation for Valentine's Day and they required a credit card. I didn't care for that, especially when I saw that it wasn't all that busy when we arrived. The house salad was delicious, the grilled salmon was a bit dry and the lamb chops were excellent. They get high marks for service; very attentive.I would recommend this to a friend.
- TRY IT, YOU'LL LIKE IT!cdhlDined on 2/4/2014We like to sit at the bar. At La Strada we could watch the pizza oven being used to produce fancy looking appetizers. We chose to have dinner from the Appetizer menu. Absolutely delicious! Barkeep was very friendly and Johnny-on-the spot with service. A large party was in attendance. The noise level was energetic, but not disturbing. A wonderful three hours spent at, and we highly recommend, La Strada Ristorante Italiano.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nothing Speciallauncher000VIPDined on 2/1/2014To be fair, the restaurant for the most part is a good restaurant, great location, food and service was good, not great but good. Would I go back, not likely! unless someone else were paying. My biggest complaint was when our server told us about the steak special, we ordered it, only for her to comeback and say they were out of it. ok! so the night went on, now it's time for desert, exact same thing told us about the special, only to come back saying the were out. I could understand this if it was 8 or 9 at night, but our dinner reservations were at seven. So there it is.Special Features:
- Looks good - not so goodJillVIPDined on 1/13/2014La Strada has a lot going for it - great location and lovely interior design with an open kitchen. Lots of kitchen and waiters standing around looking bored - talking with one another and not paying attention to customers. Our appetizer plates weren't cleared before our entrees came - spills on the table were ignored - water glasses chipped and then not filled. And the food was uninspired - a lot of rosemary and some heat - but dry and dispassionate. La Strada is an idea that hasn't quite come to fruition.
- Casual but high qualityanonymousVIPDined on 12/31/2013Sit outside (with heatlamps) and watch the passersby or at a table in the cozy interior or at the bar and observe the kitchen. La Strada accomodates children, but is more adult oriented and less of a "familly restaurant". The service is competent and prompt but not pushy. The food is beautiful to look at and delicious. There is a full bar (my personal favorite is the Cosmo Italia). We have eaten here several times now and have never been disappointed in the menu. Among our favorites: beet salad, petrale sole with olives and capers, grilled salmon, any of the pizzas, pork gnocchi. It's easy to find something that is delicious and healthy. Prices are within reasonable limits for what you get.Special Features:
- Food was excellentDHC22Dined on 12/20/2013I haven't been to La Strada in a long time and was pleasantly surprised how good it was! The fish in parchment was fantastic as was the salmon ravioli. Very good service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful MealOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 12/15/2013We have been to La Strada many times and this time did not disappoint. The service was excellent and the food was very good. We always are surprised by how reasonable the menu is for how good the food is. If you haven't tried the calamari appetizer you should! It is lightly breaded and mixed with asparagus and is about the lightest calamari we have ever had. The pesto sauce (one of two) is tart and tasty. We had a risotto dish and a pasta dish and both were perfectly cooked and succulent. The service observed everything but did not interfere with the evening conversation. Kudos, La Strada!Special Features:
- Small, but very comfortable.OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 12/12/2013Small, but very comfortable. Wouldn't go in group larger than 4. Menu has very nice selection both vegetarian and non-vegetarian options. Been here twice, all items on the menu were excellent, except for Fruit de Mar pasta. Espresso with ice cream dessert incredible. Best Italian in PA so far.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ciao BellaVictoriaDined on 12/9/2013I loved La Strada. It was my first visit to this lovely little neighborhood gem. I met a friend there and we chatted at the bar for awhile waiting for another friend to join us. It was casual, friendly, and we had great wine. No one ever rushed us. When we were ready, we migrated to a nearby table and spent another couple of hours enjoying the food and the wine. I will definitely keep La Strada on my list of favorite Palo Alto choices.Special Features:
- Excellent foodMichelleDined on 12/6/2013We will be going back for sure. We have eaten there many times and always enjoy sitting at the bar having a glass of wine and eating their delicious pizzasSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food with Fresh choicesGizmoLoverVIPDined on 10/26/2013We come to this restaurant for the whole grilled Branzino (after another Croatian restaurant down the road went out of business). The food is very good and fresh. We like the Calamari or Brushetta or Caprese for appetizers. The Branzino is large enough tobe shared. Dessert choices vary but the Panna Cotta is goodSpecial Features:
- Considering this restaurantboccioniVIPDined on 10/17/2013Considering this restaurant was on University Ave, I expected better. But this place is just OK. Service critique - Waiter brought main course while my guest and I were still in the middle of our starter salads. Forced us to clear what little space there was on our table. Food critique - I ordered the spaghetti w seafood. Flavors were bland - lacked salt and spices. No herbs, and the sauce was very watery.Special Features:
- La Strada is holding it's high bar!SLOPELOVERSDined on 9/28/2013This is our 4th or 5th Saturday night visit to La Strada. Each time at least one of the 4 of us considers their entree in the "best ever" category. This time 2 of us thought so: Gnocchi entree and lamb entree. The other two had high praise for their meals: risotto w/quail and grilled salmon with roasted veggies. Saturday night, so can't get away from the noise, but all things considered, we still could hear each other across the table, which is impressive. Very pleased that La Strada seems to be holding up it's quality level. Only complaint: wine quite pricey.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- In the heart of shopping districtgulfcoasterDined on 9/19/2013This is a good sidwalk restaurant in the heart of Palo Alto's shopping district, across from the new Apple Store location on University Ave. Free* public parking garage right behind restaurant makes it convenient. Approach from the west side of University if you want to avoid the gridlocked main strip entirely. Got a reservation on a weeknight with an hour's notice. Plenty of good bread to snack on, big variety of calorie count with meals, enough to please everyone, quality was great. *Certain time limitations, so pay attention to that.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- could be betterOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/14/2013the food was tasty, but portions were tiny. Service was inattentive even though lots of servers were milling around. I noticed that regulars seated next to us got better service than we did.Special Features:
- A bit of Sicily in Palo AltoPAdinerVIPDined on 8/5/2013Having an owner who is from Sicily and eats in his own restaurant keeps La Strada authentic. Be sure to try the cannoli!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sorry not againTerranceDined on 7/27/2013It had been some time so we thought we'd give another try Know I remember why - very disappointing.