La Scene Café and Bar
490 Geary Street
San Francisco, CA 94102Neighborhood:
Downtown / Union Square
CalifornianPrice: $30 and under
La Scene Café and Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.lascenecafesf.com/
- Phone: 4153452318
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday - Friday: 6:30am - 11:00am
Saturday - 7:00am - 12:00pm
Sunday: 7:00am - 10:30am
Brunch: Sunday 10:30am - 2:00pm
Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Californian, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Jose Aviles
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: La Scene is an intimate restaurant centrally located near Union Square and is right in the heart of the theater district. La Scene has three dining areas designed for private and intimate dining.
- Private Party Contact: Sean Costella 8886603860
- Special Events: Every Night between 8:00pm - 9:00pm - Special 3 Course Prix Fixe Menu for $36.00
A word from La Scene Café and Bar
The Californian fusion cuisine of the Zagat rated La Scene Café and Bar represents the popular tastes of San Francisco with a robust blend of cultures. Chef Jose Aviles brings together the best local ingredients and elements from California to create his tasteful menu. La Scene is an intimate restaurant with a very comfortable and pleasant ambience. La Scene is the ideal venue for a casual dinner with friends and family or simply indulge in a glass of merlot or a martini at the La Scene Bar. It’s centrally located near Union Square and is right in the heart of the theater district. The excellent location makes it very convenient for guests who want to enjoy a wonderful dinner before the show or after theatre desserts, coffees and spirits. La Scene offers a prix fixed menu from 5:00pm to 10:00pm at a special price of $38.00 plus tax and gratuities.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
La Scene Café and Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
- Last nightbluecheeseVIPDined on 11/16/2013Apparently we ate there on its last night. They were shutting down for 3 months for make-over. So as a result, the menu we were expecting was shrunk to a few items. The server helped to make it okay.
- La SeineKarenDined on 11/15/2013We have dined at La Seine many times before the theater. In addition to having an excellent menu, they are very much aware of your schedule on these evenings. Service is leisurely but timely.Special Features:
- La Scene Will Be MissedOaklanderVIPDined on 11/9/2013We just made one final pre-theater visit to La Scene prior to its announced closing this month. The food and service was very good as always. We will definitely miss the restaurant and hope that its replacement matches the consistency and reliability of its predecessor.
- La Scene is a great placeLoisBVIPDined on 11/6/2013La Scene is a great place for dinner before the theater. They are mindful of your time restraint but don't make you feel rushed. The fixed price dinner is a good value.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect pre-theater or anytimeLucyDined on 11/6/2013This was our first visit to La Scene. We selected it because of its location across the street from the Curran Theater. It turned out to be a terrific choice, as the food and ambiance were both excellent. I had scallops that were very nicely prepared and beautifully presented. My friend had the salmon which she also raved about. Our desserts were also excellent. The tables are separated far enough to allow privacy, and noise was not a problem. My only complaint was that I asked that a specific item I am unable to eat be left off my plate, but there it was when the plates arrived. I don't know if it was the waiter or the kitchen that dropped the ball, but the waiter should have caught it before delivering our food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pre-theater gemDBA1VIPDined on 11/6/2013La Scene is the perfect place for a nice dinner before going to A.C.T. or the Curran Theater. The food is very good and the wine list very interesting. There's a very affordable price fixed option. Our waiter, Pablo, was incredible. He offered good suggestions when asked and was very attentive. I'll be going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Back to La SceneOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 11/1/2013We haven't eaten here for about two years, because the menu doesn't change and it gets boring after a while.... but we went on Friday and had a wonderful dinner and so we'll put La Scene back onto the rotation. The Caeser salad was very good, and I loved the pork chop. My friend's rack of lamb was excellent. We shared some sorbet (mango) for dessert. Service was good and we were out in time to cross the street to the theater. The fellow who busses tables is very funny and friendly.Special Features:
- Great Quiet DiningMemlouiseVIPDined on 10/30/2013We tried this hotel restaurant following a date night Salon performance at the Rex. It was blissfully quiet - so easy to talk, hear each other and enjoy each other's company. The food was quite good - although my husband's steak arrive overdone, it was quickly corrected, no fuss, no problem. My ravioli was delicious. We had a nice bottle of wine and the tab was bearable. We're glad we gave them a try!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious Meal!JackiDined on 10/26/2013I've been to La Scene for a quick meal before going to ACT. This time, we went after the pre theater rush to enjoy a quiet meal with friends visiting from out of town.The restaurant was buzzing with people on their way to the theater. We were seated at 7:30 and given water and a menu. Two of us ordered mussels in butter/garlic/pernod sauce for an appetizer. They were delicious! I used the extra bread to soak up every last bit of that sauce! Two of us also ordered the scallops. There were 3 good sized scallops, pan seared to perfection, with bacon bits and a chive sauce, served atop fresh asparagus spears, along with melt in your mouth creamy potato gratin We had a delicious meal where we had time to talk in a quiet setting. (after 7:45)I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food and quick serviceGgTahoeDined on 10/19/2013Excellent food and quick service when we were in a hurry to make a show.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very accomodating as we wereFrankDined on 10/19/2013very accomodating as we were delayed because of Bart strike. They also gave us a nice corner table in the adjoining dining room which is very quiet. the main dining room & bar are connected with a higher noise level. Food was wonderful. Dessert was wonderful. Dervice both server & assistants kept water filled, etc. Nice evening & it is across the street from the curran theather.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Before Curran TheaterBobADined on 10/18/2013An excellent location to dine before a performance at the Curran. Valet parking, good food at reasonable price with good service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our service was very poor!DidiDined on 10/15/2013Our service was very poor! It was a crowded spot with no staff but bartender and one server!
- pre showanteesuzDined on 10/10/2013We were running late but the staff was aware we were going to a show at the Curran actoss the street they expedited our food and it stiil felt relaxing. Food was great. Everything wad perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pre-Theatre DiningJetmaidDined on 10/9/2013Was a good dinner as well as service. Had rsv for 5:45 for 8 p.m. theatre. Had a leisurely dinner, sat at a window table in the bar area, out of there before 7:30. Great package of dinner and valet parking if going to the theatre as well as the convenience of location.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- high prices for mediocre mealsuburbaniteDined on 10/9/2013The seafood papardelle was pasty and had exactly two prawns and a few flakes of other seafood--hardly worth $25. The beet and chevre salad was excellent.
- Perfect Pre-Theater Restaurant06kantonioDined on 10/9/2013Great food and directly across the street from The Curran Theater! Perfect!!!I would recommend this to a friend.
- it was OK, but nothing toEHF123Dined on 10/5/2013it was OK, but nothing to rave about. it was an unusually warm night in San Francisco and there was no air conditioning in the old building so it was rather uncomfortably hot in the restaurant. I had the crab risotto which was tasty. My husband had the chicken marsala - the meat was a little dry and the sauce bland. service gal was sweet but rather inattentive.
- THE EXPERIENCE AT LA SCENEANNIVERSARYDined on 10/4/2013THE EXPERIENCE AT LA SCENE WAS GREAT. THE FOOD WAS GOOD THE WINE NICE AND THE TIMEFOR DINNER WAS EXCELLENT. THEY HAVE TWO SECTIONS ONE CLOSE TO THE BAR THE OTHER ACROSS THE HALLWAY IN A SEPARATE ROOM. WE CHOSE THE LATTER.THE BAR AND RESTAURANT AREA IS QUITE LOUD THE OTHER SIDE LESS NOISY. THE ONLY DRAWBACK IS THAT THE SERVER AND WAITER TEND TO CHAT TO MUCH WITH THE CUSTOMERS .ALTHOUGH IT WAS QUITE FRIENDLY CHATTERSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Across from theater, average mealFoodieVIPDined on 10/4/2013We had dinner before going to theater. The service was somewhat odd, with a nice but over eager helper. Food was moderate at best. With the number of great restaurants in the City, we will not be back.
- SF Theater District DiningOaklanderVIPDined on 10/4/2013La Scene is a good pre-theater dinner option. Conveniently located at the corner of Geary and Taylor Streets. Good food and attentive wait staff.
- Great for pre-theater diningJimHVIPDined on 10/2/2013This is right across the street from the Geary and Curran theaters. 6:30 reservations were perfect for an 8:00 performance. The prix fixe three course meal was reasonably priced, offered ample choices and all of the courses were quite tasty. While this is not necessarily a place I would go for a relaxed, romantic evening out, it fills the bill nicely when you are going to the theater.I would recommend this to a friend.
- La Scene good pre-theater choiceSherryDined on 10/1/2013Over the years, La Scene has remained a good pre-theater choice if you're going to a performance on Geary. The night we were there was especially crowded and the small staff had difficulty serving everyone, though they tried to be very accommodating. We ended up having to skip the dessert that was on the prix fixe menu due to lack of time. Our waiter adjusted the bill and we thought that a good gesture. Next time, we'll know to be more dogged in pursuing the arrival of each course so we can make it through to the end in a timely fashion.
- Wow, am I glad we went there!ChuckVIPDined on 9/28/2013The proximity to the San Francisco Theaters puts La Scene in a prime location. The staff couldn't have been more attentive and gracious. We were seated to the minute of our reservation time. Every aspect of the food was wonderful. The presentation and the taste of both the appetizers and the main courses were outstanding. My wifes Hearts of Palm Salad was almost too beautiful to eat and my Gazpacho had the perfect texture and just enough heat to give you a bit of a tingle. The seared scallops with asparagus were fantastic, as were the homemade spinach and artichoke raviolis placed over the most delicate pesto sauce. Every aspect of both dishes were done to perfection. It's a great place to visit prior to a night at the playhouse.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A very nice place for a pre-showdiner99VIPDined on 9/27/2013A very nice place for a pre-show dinner with an excellent prix fixe menu.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect for eating beforeOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 9/25/2013Perfect for eating before the theater. It is close, has good food and good service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistent Experience for 25 YearsHilaryDined on 9/19/2013My husband and I have frequented La Scene for over 25 years of our attending ACT plays at the Geary Theatre. LaScene has consistently given us good service, good food, and good wine. It's proximity to the theatre relieves the possibility of arriving late to our seats. LaScene has never failed us.Special Features:
- One server, average food, nice wallCindybTDined on 8/24/2013One server at breakfast on a weekend served average but not hot enough food. She forgot lots of items and brought them to the table one at a time. We were left wanting for refills.
- Per-theater diningOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/13/2013This was our second visit to La Scene. Great location for dinner before going to one of several theaters in the area. The food and service is excellent. We had 6:30 reservations before an 8:00 show and was out in plenty of time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable restaurant, wherekathyVIPDined on 6/22/2013Enjoyable restaurant, where you can actually enjoy a conversation. Good food, beautifully presented. Went at 8 pm on a quiet night for the theaters, So not very full when we arrived. More guests while we were dining. Service pleasant, though think the staff of 2 were very busy, trying to check on all the guests. Would go again on a non theater nightSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good restaurant for beforeOaklanderVIPDined on 6/8/2013Good restaurant for before San Francisco theater dining.
- Delightful Pre-Theater DinnerHappyDinerDined on 6/4/2013La Scene Cafe & Bar provides a consistently excellent dinner experience. The menu is innovative and very well prepared. The presentation is good. Service is thoughtful and professional. Our waitress went out of her way to be helpful, thoughtful, prompt and gracious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good for going to the theater.OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/28/2013Good for going to the theater. They make sure you get there on time.
- Nice but uneven.Pyl007VIPDined on 5/26/2013A nice selection of dishes for brunch. Mimosas were included as part of the brunch. We received complimentary refills of Mimosas though it isn't advertised as such. The poached eggs on one of the Eggs Benedict were overcooked, while on another one they were poached nicely (runny). Service was friendly and accommodating but the waiter mixed up the orders. He made up for it by adding complimentary sides.Special Features:
- LousyTKesqDined on 5/23/2013The food was mediocre and the service cool and not very friendly. The apple tart was probably the worst dessert I have ever had that I didn't make myself. They did not handle the pre-theater rush very well. Others enjoyed their meals more than I did.
- Pre-Theater GemgourmetjimDined on 5/21/2013La Scene is the perfect place to have an excellent dinner before attending one of the several theaters close by. The menu is interesting and tasty, the service is personal and good, and the ambiance is relatively QUIET (a vanishing characteristic of San Francisco restaurants these days). Have been there many times and have never been disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We both had the salmon, whichJimCVIPDined on 5/18/2013We both had the salmon, which was quite good. Nice place to have dinner if you are downtown for a show or movie.
- Had such a great time!katlavellehawkDined on 5/15/2013I met up with 2 old colleagues for drinks & appetizers. The food was wonderful and the staff lovely. I'm a big mussels fan & their mussels appetizer was to die for! The goat cheese and beet salad looked beautiful and was delicious. I will definitely be visiting again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious & Relaxed Before TheatreTamarSDined on 4/27/2013Food was as usual fabulous. The service was a little slow. We couldn't help but notice people who came in afetr us got their salad before us, then their entree before us. We also haven't seen our "regulars" (server & buser) for a while. Perhaps the slowness was due to new staff?Special Features:
- This is an outstanding findFood4ThoughtVIPDined on 4/26/2013This is an outstanding find in the theater area. The food was great. Rack of lamb particularly. They did have a bit of an issue tho with orders backing up when it came time to go to the theater. We had to take a dessert to go...definitely worth it.Special Features: