7852L Tysons Corner Center
McLean, VA 22102Neighborhood:
Tysons Corner / McLean
MexicanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.richardsandoval.com/lasandiavirginia/index.htm
- Phone: (703) 893-2222
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:00am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Daily: 4:00pm to close; Brunch: Saturday-Sunday 11:00am - 3:00pm; Hora Feliz: Sunday-Friday 4:00pm to 9:00pm at the bar and patio area. (Happy hour is first come, first serve basis)
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mexican
- Executive Chef: Gamaliel Coronado
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (bar only), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Chef Richard Sandoval, internationally recognized as the Father of Modern Mexican Cuisine, elevates Mexican cooking to new heights at La Sandia. Inspired by his culinary mantra of ‘old ways, new hands,’ Chef Sandoval reinterprets traditional dishes with innovative techniques and presentation.
- Private Party Contact: JC Sanabria 8775097635
- Special Events: La Sandia's dynamic private and semi-private spaces accommodate parties of 20-300 guests. Our special events team will work with you to tailor a lunch, dinner or cocktail reception that meets your special event needs.
A word from La Sandia
Internationally acclaimed Chef Richard Sandoval, recognized as the Father of Modern Mexican Cuisine, is expanding his culinary reach with La Sandia Mexican Kitchen & Bar. At La Sandia, Chef Sandoval combines authentic Mexican ingredients with contemporary cooking techniques to create light dishes with vibrant, contrasting flavors.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
La Sandia reviews from OpenTable diners
60 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance3.4Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (27)fit for foodies (19)great for lunch (19)kid-friendly (13)special occasion (11)vibrant bar scene (10)neighborhood gem (4)late-night find (3)hot spot (3)great for brunch (2)romantic (2)Show More
- Consistently GoodSofoodieDined on 11/8/2014Had lunch recently at LaSandia; the food was very good (had the flatbread) and the server was attentive without being bothersome. My friend had the fish tacos, which looked very good which he enjoyed!Special Features:
- AverageMexican Food4eva21VIPDined on 11/1/2014The place is noisy, so try to find a table in a corner if you want to talk during your meal. Our group ordered a pitcher of Sangria, which was just alright, will not order that again at this place. The Food was average, it was good quality but nothing to write home about.Special Features:
- MehBoringVIPDined on 11/1/2014The empanadas were good. Tableside guac would have been good if the avacado had been ripe. Shrimp fajitas were measly and bland....lettuce leaves were nowhere near big enough to wrap a fajita.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 11/1/2014Staff was responsive and knowledgeable. food was really tasty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic steak!AmandaVIPDined on 10/26/2014Service was fantastic! Steak fajitas and carne asada were both delicious! The tortilla soup had lots of chicken.Special Features:
- Good for a family dinnerPipesDined on 10/25/2014Enjoyed the experience. Great bar and tequila shelf. Kids enjoyed the meal and portion size was just right.Special Features:
- Exceptional service blew me awayEllenT1VIPDined on 10/21/2014I often will dine at La Sandia when I am in town visiting my Vienna office. It is convenient since it is in the mall. There is a great selection of Mexican food and bar drinks. I love their empanada appetizer. They were having mole specials which were very good. I typically get the beef and chicken enchilada. During my latest visit I had the pleasure of having Nathaly as my server. She was a friendly young lady and she really blew me away with her poise and attention to service. She checked in regularly but was not intrusive. Nathaly did an excellent job. I also appreciated how attentive the new Manager, Juan Avila, was to the patrons. I saw him walking around and checking in on quality and service and thought he was very nice.Special Features:
- After Movie DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/19/2014Hubby and I enjoyed our dinner after a movie at La Sandia. Since it was Sunday night, and this restaurant is in a mall, it wasn't too crowded. The hostesses were very friendly and offered to seat us in the "outside" dining since they thought it would be quieter than sitting inside by a large party. My husband had a combo plate, and I ordered the beef tacos. The salsa and chips were also very good. Didn't realize until the bill came that their happy hour runs until 9 pm, so that was a bonus for the $5 margaritas.Special Features:
- Rude and Insulting ServiceSmexicVIPDined on 10/11/2014The food at this restaurant was average, but the service was Rude & Insulting. I tried to use a TravelZoo coupon that I purchased specifically for the dinner. They 'cashed' the value out of the Coupon but refused to credit my meal. The assistant manager was Rude & Threatening about the issue even though I had a printed copy of the TravelZoo coupon. Mistakes DO Happen. It's how you deal with them that makes the difference. In this case Management dealt with the SNAFU very poorly.
- Business LuncheonMacHelpDined on 10/8/2014Had a three person business/social meeting. The service was excellent. The food was very good. The dessert served to one of our guests was superb. The triple leche cake. OMG! would come here again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great gluten-free optionsOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/3/2014Our entire family was dining gluten-free. The menu has a large number of options available and the waiter was attentive to our needs.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, mediocre serviceFoodieGirlDined on 9/25/2014Food was on par with other Sandoval restaurants in the area. Went on a week night so wasn't crowded at all. Drinks were great, food was good and service was disappointing. They mixed up food orders, didn't describe the food when bringing to the table and server kept blaming other service staff for all the mistakes.Special Features:
- Service Keeps Us Coming BackJkiserVIPDined on 9/24/2014Honestly, I can go eat at many other places in Tyson's Corner Mall, but La Sandia stands apart from the rest when it comes to service. The bartenders have always ALWAYS been top-notch. I have dined at many excellent places with far less quality from bar staff. I can't comment on other servers at this establishment, but my better half and I continue to return to this venue purely for the excellent service from their bar staff. Thank you.Special Features:
- Average LunchErinDined on 9/19/2014There were 8 of us and it took 2 hours for the lunch. Our waiter was friendly, but he had too much workload and he messed up some of the orders. The fish tacos were salty. The drinks were good. Friendly staff.Special Features:
- MehOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 8/18/2014The portions are crazy small, and the food lacks flavor.
- origamiorigamiVIPDined on 8/13/2014First time visit because of restaurant week. Did not like water melon drink. Food was just OK. Wood chair is hard and uncomfortable.
- Busy even on a Tuesday night.LoveMoleDined on 8/12/2014As challenging as it is to find chicken mole on menus in an area that is peppered with Mexican-style restaurants, La Sandia has the better recipe of the two restaurants I'm aware of that make it. The food is usually excellent, and was quite good this time as well. The pork was a little over-charred and dry, but had a refreshingly natural flavor that was unhindered by heavy spices or sauces. While the hostess accommodated a table request well, the server was slow to notice our presence and inattentive. The kitchen staff handled an allergy with excellent care and even came out to make sure everything was satisfactory and inform us which dishes to avoid. Overall, the visit was afflicted by the time spent wondering if we would be served.Special Features:
- Mexican ole!CandBDined on 8/12/2014We always enjoy the food here at La Sandia. The elevation of Mexican foods and flavors are so well done. The margaritas are second to none and the extensive, did I mention extensive, tequilla choices are top notch too!! They'll make your margarita with whatever you ask for!! Our service was less than stellar, but it was restaurant week and the place was busy. This is a great place to take someone who may be hesitant to have Mexican food, as the platters (fajitas) are always a hit!! Those who are more adventurous, will not be disappointed either. And finally, make sure to order the tableside guacamole . . .mmmmm. Ole!!!Special Features:
- Food was fantasticseawhereDined on 7/26/2014The food was delicious, the presentation gorgeous, and the meal was a step above any place with a similar menu. Will be going there again soon.Special Features:
- The following 425 reviews are from the La Sandia reviews archive.
- Great Find, Inside Tyson'sOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 7/24/2014Was looking for some upscale Mexican, and had a craving for mole, and this didn't disappoint. We were seated quickly even though there was a bit of a pileup at the door, waiters were polite and efficient, and food came quickly. Mole was pretty delicious, something you can't find easily at the average Mexican around here, and there were a lot of low cal options as well. The only thing that was less than pleasant was the noise level. The place is a very modern design, and all hard surfaces and it was not easy to have a quiet dinner. Very convenient for dinner and a movie.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another solid mealDrewVIPDined on 7/7/2014Another very good meal at La Sandia. Different from all the other Mexican/Tex-Mex places around.
- Excellent Once AgainArthurmanVIPDined on 7/5/2014We had the carnitas, and house margaritas. The meat was excellent--lean and flavorful--and comes with rice, beans, guacomole, green sauce, and habanero (hot) sauce, which goes into wonderful, warm, and soft tacos. We had lots to take home for lunch the next day. The house margaritas also are excellent--we get our first one on the rocks with ice, and a second one straight up, which we pour into our glasses from the first one.
- Delicious!TeedaDined on 7/3/2014Went here for lunch with my sister and cousin and it was amazing! We had the steak quesadillas for an appetizer. The tasted freshly prepared and not pre-made and reheated. The steak was so juicy and tender that it practically melted in your mouth. To drink, I had the tropical fruit (on the rocks, mango flavored). It was delightful. My sister had the mango mojito. It was so fresh and refreshing. For my entrée I ordered the iron skillet steak fajitas. Like the steak from the quesadilla, it practically melted. So tender! My sister ordered the carne asada. Also delicious. My cousin had the chicken tacos. I didn't try it but she said it was good. Overall, great experience, great food. Will DEF go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious Mexican FoodBirthdayDined on 6/15/2014My wife and I dined here for fathers day and enjoyed the cusine thoroughly. The service was excellent, quick and attentive. The only downside to this restaurant was the hard wood chairs without any padding in the seats. I will red omens this restaurant to my family and friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty modern Mexican foodducky115VIPDined on 5/25/2014The margaritas, guacamole and mole are delicious! But our server gave us the bill without asking if we wanted dessert, so I have no idea about the flan. Shucks!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Celebratory lunchAmyMDined on 5/22/2014Went out with a group of people to celebrate a friend's graduation. All of the food was delicious but our waiter would disapper for long periods of time. We did need to get back to work and spent over an hour in the restaurant. Overall, it was a great place and I know we will be back.Special Features:
- LoudOpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 5/16/2014Stopped in prior to my movie. There were two big groups dining...the restaurant was LOUD with noise from the guests (not even music)!!! With metal ceilings and glass dividers there is no place for the noise to go. Not that this shouldn't be a fun and vibrant place (it looks the part), but I couldn't hear my dinner companion much less my own thoughts. Food was ok.
- Disappointing BrunchAndrewEDined on 5/11/2014We have been to La Sandia many times and decided to try it out for Mother's Day brunch. We came away disappointed with the experience. Besides some of the tried an true appetizers being there usual excellent, all of the dishes we order off the brunch menu left us uninspired. Making the matters worse our server was not very good. She could not even get the drink order correct, just sodas, waters and juices! Throughout the meal she was somewhat inattentive. Overall not a good showing for brunch. I would not try it again, but will continue with their lunch and dinner service which appears to be there strong suit. in the end a lot of food and money was wasted.
- Good food, AtmosphereChetVIPDined on 5/5/2014Good food, good service, lots of people watching, yuppie(is that still a word?) crowdSpecial Features:
- Just okaySammyDined on 5/5/2014Not worth the drive from Sterling to Tyson's Corner.Special Features:
- Just okOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/1/2014The drinks and ambiance was great, but the food wasn't seasoned as well as I thought it would be. The $11 guacamole bowl was also very small. I expected more.Special Features:
- Very disappointingChantalVIPDined on 4/30/2014La Sandia has changed dramatically and not for the better. It used to be a great place to get high end Mexican style food. They no longer have a wine list - just some swill in red and white. AWFUL! The quality of the food has dropped significantly. Part of our appetizer order didn't show up until after the entrees. We will never go back.
- Menu not as diverse as used to beNishaDined on 4/13/2014I've gone to La Sandia a few times since it opened and have always enjoyed the fact that their menu was not like the typical Mexican places in the area. The food there seemed to be more authentic than the typical burritos and tacos. However, this time, I noticed that they have changed their menu and have become a typical Mexican resterant down to now serving chips and salsa when you are seated. Since the prices are higher than regular Mexican places, with about the same type of food, I probably won't be back.
- At Tyson'sSandytxDined on 4/2/2014This is one of the restaurants at Tysons and it is a super spot for an informal meal. Very good service. Happy Hour prices were excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Better than the average for DCOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 3/13/2014I've been to La Sandia several times. The food has ranged from good to great. Their house specials tend to be the best - standard fare like the fajitas, not so much.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice night out.HerzogEisenherzDined on 3/7/2014My wife's favorite Mexican place so far out here in Fairfax/Tyson/McLean/Arlington area. She grew up on border in Texas and spent lots of time in Mexico so finding food that actually comes close to Mexican style she grew up with made her happy.. Service was great on our visit. Seated right away and attentive waiter. Good quality food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food only fairGoodFood4MeVIPDined on 3/7/2014We've dined here three times. This was the last time. The location is super convienent so we keep trying hoping something will change. We ordered three steak fajitas and one BBQ chicken salad. The steak was undercooked and did not have much flavor. The lettuce in the salad was not fresh and contained pieces of the core. The chicken was bland. I recommend trying one of the other restaurants at Tyson's mall.Special Features:
- Good dinner spot in Tyson'snovarussDined on 2/28/2014La Sandia has really good food and drinks. We enjoy having dinner there when we're out shopping. The Chicken Mole' Poblano is my favorite thing to get there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AlrightZiggy13VIPDined on 2/22/2014Second time here, the first time the food was much better. This time, I feel the food was overcooked and under seasoned. The service was outstanding though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dirty tables, floor bathroomsOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 2/17/2014The server was inept, they table was dirty, one dish came out lacking chicken. The bathroom had not paper.Nothing positive all negative. Have eaten here before, i was good, this time it was a disaster. No management in sight.