7852L Tysons Corner Center
McLean, VA 22102Neighborhood:
Tysons Corner / McLean
MexicanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.richardsandoval.com/lasandiavirginia/index.htm
- Phone: (703) 893-2222
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:00am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Daily: 4:00pm to close; Brunch: Saturday-Sunday 11:00am - 3:00pm; Hora Feliz: Sunday-Friday 4:00pm to 9:00pm at the bar and patio area. (Happy hour is first come, first serve basis)
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mexican
- Executive Chef: Gamaliel Coronado
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (bar only), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Chef Richard Sandoval, internationally recognized as the Father of Modern Mexican Cuisine, elevates Mexican cooking to new heights at La Sandia. Inspired by his culinary mantra of ‘old ways, new hands,’ Chef Sandoval reinterprets traditional dishes with innovative techniques and presentation.
- Private Party Contact: JC Sanabria 8775097635
- Special Events: La Sandia's dynamic private and semi-private spaces accommodate parties of 20-300 guests. Our special events team will work with you to tailor a lunch, dinner or cocktail reception that meets your special event needs.
A word from La Sandia
Internationally acclaimed Chef Richard Sandoval, recognized as the Father of Modern Mexican Cuisine, is expanding his culinary reach with La Sandia Mexican Kitchen & Bar. At La Sandia, Chef Sandoval combines authentic Mexican ingredients with contemporary cooking techniques to create light dishes with vibrant, contrasting flavors.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
La Sandia reviews from OpenTable diners
59 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance3.5Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (28)fit for foodies (18)great for lunch (18)kid-friendly (14)special occasion (12)vibrant bar scene (10)neighborhood gem (3)hot spot (3)romantic (3)great for brunch (2)late-night find (2)notable wine list (1)Show More
- AlrightZiggy13VIPDined on 2/22/2014Second time here, the first time the food was much better. This time, I feel the food was overcooked and under seasoned. The service was outstanding though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dirty tables, floor bathroomsOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 2/17/2014The server was inept, they table was dirty, one dish came out lacking chicken. The bathroom had not paper.Nothing positive all negative. Have eaten here before, i was good, this time it was a disaster. No management in sight.
- Great Mex Oasis in DC MetroBetterwBaconVIPDined on 2/16/2014There are so few good Mexican restaurants in this area. Most is Tex-Mex or El Salvadorian and not very good at that. Food is excellent here. Highly recommend carnitas and carne asada. Ask for the 2 kinds of habenero sauces. Orange jalepeno margarita also very good. Service ok. Not sure how well they are paying attention. My husband asked for no tamal and beans instead. What he got was 2 tamals and no beans and an extra charge on the bill for the tamal. Server took it off check no problem. But there did seem to be some confusion in the front of the house. Food runners walking around aimlessly to match food with diners. Despite all this, still worth it for the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousgoodfoodVIPDined on 2/15/2014Richard Sandoval never fails to impress! Delicious as always.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty, but didn't blow me awayOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/15/2014We were seated out in the mall section, so that's why the ambience score is 3 stars. Not awful. I got the hanger steak with shrimp, which was only okay, but I give it a little bit of a break because you shouldn't really be ordering steak at a Mexican place anyway. Shrimp was good, well-seasoned. The chips and salsa that came out before the meal were great, and the server came around frequently to check on our drinks. Good service, even when a computer glitch dumped our order. They still got everything right, and all the folks who came around to our table did their jobs well considering how busy it was. The appetizers are good, but I'd suggest sticking to the traditional Mexican fare on the menu if you want to get their good stuff.
- Poor FoodannsDined on 2/14/2014We dine at la sandia quite often and are happy with the food. But today the food was not at all good. We informed the server and he informed the manager. The manager apologized for it and offered some free food vouchers. Happy with the service, that he took note of it. Hopefully the quality and taste of food becomes as good as it was before.Special Features:
- My wife and I went on Valentine'sJeronimoDined on 2/14/2014My wife and I went on Valentine's Day. They were swamped, naturally, but we were seated within 10 minutes of our reservation time. The service wasn't the best, but it certainly wasn't bad all things considered. The food is sometimes a 3 and sometimes a 4. My chicken tinga tacos were really great. My wife's steak tacos were not only average. For the price, however, it's definitely worth it once in a while.Special Features:
- Love the food, if it wereOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 2/14/2014Love the food, if it were a free standing restaurant in a cute part of town it would be worthy of a Washingtonian mention. The mall atmosphere takes it down a notch and acoustics are pretty lousy.Special Features:
- Great timeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/14/2014The food and drinks were great. The service was amazing. Recommend this place for HH.Special Features:
- Make sure to try their brunch!NeverGoingBackVIPDined on 2/9/2014We already love going to la Sandia for the amazing food and the great happy hour (drinks, food, and prices are great!), but we had never been for brunch before. Delicious!! We will definitely go back. Very simple, small menu, but still found myself not able to decide what to get because it all looked so good. I went with their version of the eggs Benedict. Poached eggs over corn cakes and carnitas with a mole sauce. Comes with a delicious sweet potato hash and friend plantains. All of it was very well prepared. Can't wait to go back and try something else!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth TryingdinerDined on 2/8/2014Great place. Located inside a mall. Would suggest sitting outside (your still indoors but you can see the people walking around the mall while you eat). Good selection of tequilas.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The guacamole was pretty expensiveOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/8/2014The guacamole was pretty expensive for a small portion. The chopped salad wasn't very fresh. Overall, the food was okay.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Forgot to log us in for Open TableMintyJulepVIPDined on 2/6/2014Rectified their mistake the next day. Waiter was wonderful as we celebrated our daughters birthday.Special Features:
- DisappointedLisMaRiAbDined on 2/5/2014Despite all the good reviews that this restaurant has, I wasn't impressed by it. I most say that what I liked the most and would recommend is the guacamole. This restaurant is not different from most Mexican restaurant in the area. A friend recommended Zengo, and knowing the restaurant was from the same owner, I was expecting a really nice experience with the food. My husband ordered carne asada, and when I asked him how was it, he said OK... They served the meat with a service of a tamale which was really good. Drinks were also good. Our server took really good care of us. We brought a cake and the restaurant took care of it and when it was time for dessert they came with the cake, and even sliced it for us.. That was really nice of them.Special Features:
- Great Authentic Mexican placeNicoleDined on 2/1/2014All of our entrees was perfectly cooked and the margaritas, sangria, and mango mojitos were so fresh. Definitely would recommend and will be going back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fair Service and Poor FoodMikeTDined on 1/23/2014Went for lunch and sat in the bar area. Only 4 people total at the bar, but service was slow. Appetizer were fair. Ordered the Steak tacos as an entree and was not impressed. Food was very dry, beans were cold as was the rice. Waited for sometime to order a dessert. The churros and they took about 25 minutes to come out. Overall just a fair experience and will not return.
- BirthdaylunchboxDined on 1/22/2014The bartenders are attentive and knowledgeable, delicious margaritas and many many choices of tequila. Service was accommodating for our group who ordered near closing. Sandoval restaurants are never a let-down.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Favorite dish-always outstandingArthurmanVIPDined on 1/18/2014We always get the carnitas and classic margaritas. The carnitas are a very generous portion of wonderfully tender and flavorful meat, with crispy outside areas. We get a second meal at home with "dogie bags". This time we tried the colossal margaritas, and that worked out very well, instead of getting two regular-size ones.Special Features:
- We had a large group, theOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/16/2014We had a large group, the restaurant staff was wonderful. They were very attentive and service was quick. Everything arrived as it was requested. Great place for happy hour and snacks too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Busy night, still nice dinnerleQueenVIPDined on 1/4/2014Despite our visit being on one of the busier nights at La Sandia, we still had a great experience. Our reservation was immediately honored and we were taken right to our table. Our server was friendly and efficient, and we noted all of La Sandia's staff, from management to servers to bussers, pitching in to make sure all of their guests enjoyed their meals. La Sandia is a surprising gem in a mall environment. My boyfriend always gets (and enjoys) the chicken fajitas. This time, I tried the tamale sampler special, and was glad for the variety and delicious ingredients.Special Features:
- While the table-side guacamoleOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 12/31/2013While the table-side guacamole was very good, the remainder of the meal was only fair. And, the margaritas were weak.
- nice on a Friday and or saturdayKyriakiChrisVIPDined on 12/27/2013always had a great time here even though we cannot hear each other from the outside mall noise or in the restaurant. all in all, the staff makes us feel very good and special, Victor, Jorge, Selena, Michael, Miguel Love you guys!!!!!! thank you for the good time!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good choice if already at mallTigerVIPDined on 12/21/2013Service was not greatest but food was good. Guacamole was excellent but entree was typical Mexican restaurant. Dessert tres leche cake is recommended. Margaritas were a must have.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing Guacamole!PjtrivitaVIPDined on 12/16/2013Whatever you do, don't miss the tableside guacamole! Really fresh and delicious! The entrees are amazing as well and the happy hour margaritas are a great deal as well as tasty! Our server, Hugo, was fabulous and fun and made our dinner really special. We love sitting outside people watching in the mall and sometimes just go for the happy hour deals!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good even when very busyGourmet2goDined on 12/6/2013La Sandia has a model that gets's everyone pretty good service even when very busy such as as Fri night happy hour. Food very consistently ok. Fun to sit on their "patio" and watch the shoppers. Hugo (server) is efficient and very helpful.Special Features:
- Never disappoints1234VIPDined on 12/1/2013Great evening but a bit understaffed so service was slow. I think it was mainly because it was the Sunday after Thanksgiving. Highly recommend this restaurant.I would recommend this to a friend.
- While at the mallRichVIPDined on 11/29/2013It is not cheap for Mexican food but it is so much better. They constantly run special items and this time it was Mole! Very good, the best I have had in years. Everyone enjoyed their dish, special item or not, and the portions are generous. Many in our small group could not finish. They are aware of food allergies and will clearly help you steer clear of ingredients as needed. Even the unlimited free chips and salsa are the best I have had anywhere around.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasantly surprisedbethany1234Dined on 11/29/2013For a "mall restaurant" the food was very good. The patio area was fun to sit and people watch. We had a nice time and will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Some good pointsViennaWeeneeVIPDined on 11/20/2013The pork carnitas were very tasty and tender. The retried beans and rice were also fine. However the margaritas at Anita's down the road in Vienna are better. Sandia is good if you absolutely need to have Mexican food in Tyson's but there's nothing in particular that would bring me back.
- Best Authentic Mexician RestuarantVisionDined on 11/10/2013I absolutely LOVE the food, service and atmosphere of this restaurant. The special menus they have doing the year are a real treat! Finding authentic Mexican cuisine is a real gem!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Friday Night DateSTrainDined on 11/8/2013It was a nice casual friday night date. It was great for me because I like to watch my calorie intake and most of the items can be ordered with lettuce wraps instead of tortillas and the light margaritas we're awesome. The seating is a bit crowded, kind of like at a cheesecake factory when you feel like you're dining close to everyone.I would recommend this to a friend.
- It was ok!!EatoutoftenVIPDined on 11/7/2013I met friends here and for the prices I expected the food to be a lot better. I had the chicken fajtties, on the waiters recommendation, they were ok. I would have to say Uncle Julos's Rio Grande has much better Fajities. Plus you don't have to deal with Tyson's and the traffic and construction always going on. The night we went there, a Thursday, the we closing the entire mall at 9:30 for some construction project. The place was ok I'm not sure if I would go back, if I'm going to go to Tyson's I would rather go to Gordon Bier's or Brio or even Coastal Flats.
- Gourmet MexicanOrchidVIPDined on 11/3/2013My husband and I had brunch at La Sandia. We were the first ones in the restaurant. He ordered the Egg Scamble with shredded beef. although it was very tasty, he was disappointed that he couldn't taste the scrambled eggs. I ordered a mole dish with carnitas. The chef recommended the skirt steak with this mole selection, but I loved the carnitas selection. My only dieappointment was that there wasn't enough mole sauce on my dish. I loved the Guava Margarita!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful timeSpwesDined on 10/18/2013One of the best restaurants I've ever been to. The wife loved itSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- yummy food, poor serviceerjoififhVIPDined on 10/12/2013service was despacio. had better service at otros restaurants. comprende?I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food at Good PricesMcLeanMomVIPDined on 10/8/2013A friend I hadn't seen in a long time and I agreed to meet at La Sandia. We had a wonderful meal and the service was very good! We sat in the restaurant part (as opposed to the bar area) because it was a lot quieter. The bar area is extremely loud and I doubt anyone could really converse comfortably there. The margaritas could use a bit more "punch" (i.e. more tequila) and the guacamole was a fairly small portion (the appetizer), but other than that, no complaints!Special Features:
- Fun on Friday Feasting with FriendsKyriakiChrisVIPDined on 10/4/2013i just have to commend the receprionist for gracciously acknowledging me and my spouse everytime we visit and at times with our friends. They make us feel special and also knowing that we like dining "outside" Thei smiles are so welcoming it extends to that welcome as we sat and have our first bite with our "frre chips" and our first toasts. the happy hour is a great idea, since we invite our friends most of the time and the drinks are very nice. the food is FABULOUS for night out with friends. WE ENJOYED IT THOROUGHLY!!! the intention coming to La Sandia is to be with friends and family, at least for us, and to experience each other. The wonderful staff helped us with the fabulous experience. Please keep up the great work-Special Features:
- Great Margarita!!luv2eatDined on 10/4/2013I'm always in search of a wonderful Margarita--one that is the perfect marriage between tangy sweetness and just the right amount of Tequila. After all, if I'm going to drink, I want to enjoy it! With that said, this is a nice restaurant but not one that I would recommend. The food was fair, but not outstanding. I ordered the fish tacos accompanied by the traditional refried beans and rice. I found the tacos to be bland and the beans and rice tasted as if they had been reheated several times. I do plan to visit again, but only for the Margaritas!Special Features:
- A Special Mexican TreatSpicyLadyDined on 9/18/2013La Sandia is not inexpensive, but the food is special, not the typical Mexican joint's flavorless enchiladas and cheese-glopped frijoles. Unusual pairs include succulent shrimp enchiladas accompanied by avocados and fried bananas. Also worthwhile: the unusual appetizers and exceptional chiles rellenos. A bland but flavorful rice and black bean are accompaniments, but a homemade, spicy hot sauce is needed--the complimentary tortilla chips are crispy but the salsa.is too mild. Service is excellent, and the noise level allows for conversation. On the downside: Like many mall restaurants, La Sandia's "outside" dining offers a view of shoppers moving among the shops--ask for an inside table.Special Features:
- Mixed resultsRobertDined on 9/17/2013Salsa and guacamole are excellent. Entrees got mixed reviews from my large group. The steak tacos were not good; the meat was overcooked and dry. The fish tacos were tasty but had very little fish in them.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.