La Sandia Stapleton
8340 E. 49th
Denver, CO 80238Neighborhood:
Stapleton / Northfield
MexicanPrice: $30 and under
La Sandia Stapleton
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.richardsandoval.com/lasandiacantina/
- Phone: (303) 373-9100
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:00am - 4:00pm
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm
Happy Hour At the Tequila Bar, Lounge and Patio: Sunday - Friday: 4:00pm - Close, Saturday: 4:00pm - 7:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mexican
- Executive Chef: Richard Sandoval
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Weekend Brunch
- Catering: Private and semi-private areas available for groups of all sizes. Both reception or seated dinner options are available with customized menus and full bar capabilities.
- Private Party Facilities: Great spaces for all types of events, including: corporate events, receptions, rehearsal dinners, bachelor/bachelorette parties, holiday parties, and anniversaries. Richard Sandoval Restaurants has a variety of spaces, customized menus, and full bar options available in our 5 Denver area restaurants – enjoy our terrace views, versatile indoor & outdoor spaces, central/walking distance to convention center, and discounted or complimentary valet. With in-house event planners, who have access to all of our restaurants, we will simplify the planning process for any group.
- Private Party Contact: Tanya Gaines: firstname.lastname@example.org 7209461433x
- Special Events: Special Events For more information on special/private events, please contact Tanya Gaines @ 720-946-1443.
A word from La Sandia Stapleton
La Sandia Tequila Cantina serves internationally acclaimed Chef Richard Sandoval’s high quality, authentic Mexican cuisine. Featuring familiar favorites prepared with high quality ingredients, guests can dine and gather over dinner and drinks. The expanded tequila bar and lounge features over 150 tequilas and mezcals and handcrafted margaritas. Warm, Latin-inspired service will round out your experience at La Sandia.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerKid Friendly
- Diners' Choice WinnerMexican
La Sandia Stapleton - Best Restaurants in Stapleton / Northfield ›
La Sandia Stapleton reviews from OpenTable diners
41 reviews since July 23, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (14)fit for foodies (14)great for lunch (11)kid-friendly (8)neighborhood gem (8)great for outdoor dining (8)vibrant bar scene (5)special occasion (5)hot spot (4)great for brunch (3)romantic (2)late-night find (1)Show More
- Don't Miss the Mole FestivalFlavorjunkieVIPDined on 10/21/2014The four different Moles during the festival are all so good it is hard to choose just one. Go several times and try them all!Special Features:
- dessert disappointmentshasDined on 10/21/2014The meal started off great with the table side guacamole followed by dinner. Our server didn't seem to quite know the menu when asked specifics. At the end, we asked to see a dessert menu and he recited it to us instead. When asked to clarify/describe what 2 of them were, he didn't seem to be able to. We ended up ordering the Churros because he said they came with different dipping sauces. Not what we expected. It looked like they ran out of dishes and it was a take out. Only came with 3 pieces and 1 dipping sauce in a take out container with lid. No dessert plates were given to us. When we asked about the "sauces" he had mentioned originally, he just said "ah no, just the 1" and walked off. Not sure if we'll be back.Special Features:
- Bad ServiceJohnWVIPDined on 10/18/2014We arrived on time for our reservation, and then waited 10 minutes to be sat. We were sat at a completely empty table that was not standing evenly and rocked. We had to fix the table ourselves so we could use it. Our drinks and appetizers arrived, yet we had no silverware to use to eat. Our waiter promised he would return immediately with our silverware, and then 10 minutes later he came back as he was running food to another table. Our appetizer was cold by then. After a couple of rounds our entrees arrived. But all of our drink glasses from our previous rounds remained on the table and there was hardly room for our dinner plates. Ever heard of table maintenance? Our meals were decent, but the service was a real turn off.
- My new favorite Mexican restaurantSemantixVIPDined on 10/13/2014I would definitely consider myself a fan of Sandoval restaurants, and this is now my second fave to Zengo. Great salsa and chips to start, excellent fresh made guacamole (at our table), and the two entrees we had were perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- La SandiaOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/11/2014Sandoval is great, he has Latin cuisine down. Would recommend chicken zarape, and carne asada.Special Features:
- Yum!FabulousDined on 10/11/2014Our dining experience was very YUM! I was there with friends and had a wonderful time; the ambiance was great, the food was yum and the service was awesome! I recommend La Sandia to all!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, Great service!HappySandiaDined on 8/28/2014Had a group of 12 and they accomodated us very well and the service was very good. We arrived at Noon and never had to wait due to our group size and time. La Sandia made us feel welcomed and appreciated.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service was bad; I love this placeVegetarianfoodie13Dined on 8/17/2014The food is always great and wonderfully prepared. I've been going to Sandia for years and work right by there. There's always a common theme - terrible service. The servers I've had the past 3 visits pay no mind to appearance. The last experience was especially bad - the table was dirty, asked for refills may times and parts of our food were missing (no guac, no pineapple, etc.). She brought our appetizer when the food came out and when we said we no longer wanted it, she was angry. It was a poor service experience and in the past, I've bit my tongue because it was only no refills on drinks. We asked for the manager and he never showed up.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food, service...??OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/15/2014Hostess seated us in a table right by door in middle of main walkway despite restaurant being empty. Horrible table, asked to be moved. Was a bit worried about service as it was a slow start, but server really, really turned it around. Super knowledgeable about food, and food was delicious.
- LAJerseyDined on 8/14/2014Food was fresh and the guacamole was made tableside. Try the cinnamon ice cream...delish!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tequila!DEEMVIPDined on 8/8/2014good food and Tequila was okay; tequila was, too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 220 reviews are from the La Sandia Stapleton reviews archive.
- Noisy letdownDansocalVIPDined on 7/18/2014We were excited to try out this restaurant headed by a famous chef but unfortunately what we got was all flash and no substance. Our server seemed nice although a bit harried as she ran from table to table. We started with a guacamole appetizer. We were told everything was made fresh and indeed the guacamole was made table side but with the care of mixing a box cake mix. The guacamole was very bland and not worth the cost. Our meals arrived on special plates with the food laid out very well. Sadly the display of the food was the best part. The food is really poorly prepared, inconsistent quality. The chili relleno was so hard it could barely be cut. The fajitas come with a teaspoon of sides like salsa, guac and rice and beans
- Disappointing on a rare date nightwannaBfoodieDined on 7/3/2014My husband and I chose La Sandia because we had previously stopped in to have a quick appetizer and drinks before a movie on the patio and enjoyed ourselves. The full dining experience was a disappointment. The service was scattered and the greeters and waitstaff, while not rude were not overly friendly. The whole operation seemed strained, even though there were 15-20 open tables. The food arrived in good time, but was average at best. I hate to give bad reviews - but I was really let down by this experience - the overall energy in the restaurant was oppressive. We couldn't wait to finish our food and leave.
- Creepy dirty wait staffAvoidDined on 6/15/2014Waiters were scary looking, not well groomed, food all over their aprons. Table was not. Lean, noise level excessively loud! Overworked wait staff running through the restaurant while serving. We had not been there for a while; this place is really going downhill. Very disappointing experience.
- Won't go againOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/15/2014The food was bland, if well presented, the service was slow at best, and the acoustics were terrible. Even though the restaurant wasn't busy, the acoustics created such a noisy environment that it was hard to hear others at the table. The guac and sour cream sides amounted to about a tablespoon of each, and our food was served lukewarm. You won't catch me going there again.
- Excellent Guac!MsJoCookVIPDined on 6/7/2014Service was terrific and the food was delicious - love the marg variety as well!
- Lunch get together with old friendsEllenFDined on 5/18/2014La Sandia was a great place to arrange to meet old friends who were coming in from DIA, as it is sort of the halfway point. This proved to be a very good choice, as the food was excellent -- especially enjoyed the fruit guacamole -- and the service was outstanding. Our group of four was given a ton of time to catch up on conversation. The server did not rush us in any way, but was extremely responsive to our needs and wants.Special Features:
- Salsa is outstanding!beccaDined on 5/18/2014We loved the salsa the most! The tableside guac was excellent. They accommodated our large group easily. Dustin was an excellent serverSpecial Features:
- ForgottenluvtotrynewrestuarantsDined on 5/17/2014Thus was our first visit to LA Sandia, and they seemed to forget about us. Our appetizer was served quickly, but when the entrées came out mine was cold. We were never offered another drink nor did our water glasses get refilled. Over all the food was over priced Chipotle.Special Features:
- Cut-above MexicanOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/11/2014We were planning to go to Tamayo downtown but they were booked up so we saw La Sandia was an affiliated restaurant and tried it. We were glad to see that their dishes were more modestly priced than Tamayo but very appetizing and unique. We tried the Queso Fundido with chorizo. It was a smallish serving but delicious and nicely presented; we were happy with it. Ordered the pork carnitas special, chicken zarape, and BBQ chicken salad. Very pleased with all the dishes. My house Margarita was very weak, which I happened to like on that occasion, but normally I would have been unhappy with such a weak drink. We liked that it wasn't super crowded and plan to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Snowy Mother's DayOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/11/2014La Sandia was very generous and let us move our reservation up earlier due to the poor weather in the Denver area. The Guacamole Sampler was outstanding and all the meals were great. Our server was very gracious as some of our family members were late in coming.Special Features:
- Gourmet Mexican-Not an Oxymoron!OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 5/3/2014We just had another terrific dinner at La Sandia. This restaurant never disappoints. We had a guacamole sampler that was fun and different. Each one was artfully presented as a miniature tostado. One had kiwi and strawberries, one had queso and roasted beets. Who knew you could do something really creative with guac? The tortilla soup was excellent. We sat on the patio that looks out on a pedestrian walk-not a street-and enjoyed the evening-just lovely!Special Features:
- yumVa2CoDined on 5/2/2014This was our first time at la Sandia. The ambiance is great, the guacamole is amazing & freshly made at your table, & the margaritas are some of the best we've ever had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Surprising...Foodie4LifeDined on 4/28/2014Not sure what has happened to this location's expectations, but the food was mediocre at best and the service was almost non-existent.
- Quiet late lunchSnowellenVIPDined on 4/28/2014My husband and I had a late lunch/early dinner. The restaurant wasn't busy and the waiter was kind and informative. He told us about a guacamole special coming up soon. The food is always great.Special Features:
- Meh.OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 4/24/2014Pretty expensive for what you get. Very slow service, for ordering, for refilling water, for a second round of drinks. I will probably only come back for drinks at happy hour when you can sit out on a pretty nice patio.
- Great food, disappointed over allOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/11/2014The food was amazing, but that's where the compliments stop. I had made reservations for a party of five, but we were seated at a table for four. It was a tight squeeze, but made it work. There was only one bar tender on a Friday night! We were able to completely finish our meals while we waited on our second round of drinks. To top things off, I received a call from La Sandia, while we were eating, saying that we were late for our reservation and our table was going to be given away. This location needs to get their stuff together! If you want to visit this restaurant, please visit the location down in Lone Tree at Park Meadows for a much more satisfactory dining experience.Special Features:
- Poor Serviceksh1Dined on 4/11/2014We made reservations through Open Table, but when we got there, we found out they'd been accidently cancelled. Then we were asked to wait 10-15 minutes for a table, so we went to the bar, where it took 10 minutes just to get the bartenders attention, but then our table was ready. When the host took us to our table there were several open tables in the restaurant. When we sat down our sever told us they were very backed up and it would be 30-40 minutes before we got drinks (we should have stayed at the bar?!) Our food arrived but it was not per the menu and our server never really apologized for his or the restaurants poor service. All in all it was a miserable experience and we won't go back!
- Terrible serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/11/2014We had a group of 10 and the restaurant seemed very busy, but that does not excuse having to wait almost 1 hour to get a few pitchers of margaritas. During this time we did not see our waiter once to even ask to order. Little to say, we left after the Margs came. Additionally, after the waiter apologized, he didn't even comp any drinks! Only got us another pitcher of margarita that tasted like lemonade! Awful although the park meadows location is one of my favorites.
- Upscale Mexican FareVeggies4meDined on 4/7/2014Our second visit to this northeast Denver outpost was just as terrific as our first. Parking is easier than at the Park Meadows branch of this eatery, and week nights are less crowded. The tableside-prepared guacamole and the chile relleno never disappoint, and the fish tacos were also fabulous. The flan is also perfect--flavorful and smooth as velvet.Special Features:
- Food was very good which comesDFCfoodieDined on 4/5/2014Food was very good which comes quickly, nice menu selection, typical low end tequilas for margaritas but a couple nice upgrades. Table we were at was too small for the four large plates that came. Only real negative was it was too noisy (Saturday night) for easy conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Different than Park Meadows LaSandiAmyLDined on 4/5/2014We frequent the Park Meadows La Sandia quite often. The menu at this one was very different and was missing several of our favorite items. In addition, the tortilla soup didn't taste like the Park Meadows La Sandia......it wasn't nearly as good. I think from now on, we will stick with Park Meadows, better menu and better food.
- InconsistentjaneincoloradoDined on 3/28/2014The food was both good & not so good. Previous visit in bar area w/ bar menu: terrific, variety of flavors, a special "La Sandia" approach to traditional mex dishes. But in dining room, we were shown to a table deep in the back, even after making a reservation with a special request to accommodate an elderly dinner with oxygen machine. The server was good, to better...but was assigned too many tables to follow through & return frequently enough. The noise level was high. Food: Tacos are nice; al pastor is delicious. Sweet corn tamale was nice, but not fantastic. Cheese enchiladas had an odd flavor, just a bit unpleasant - unable to finish. The tortilla soup was distinct approach unique to this restaurant, appreciated the brave attempt.Special Features:
- MediocreOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/25/2014Waitstaff was short staffed but our server worked so hard we didn't even notice. Website advertises taco Tuesdays and drink specials but doesn't make it very clear that these deals are in the bar only. The salsa was good. I ordered al pastor tacos, nice big portions. Chicken tacos were dry.Special Features:
- Always goodZchapDined on 3/21/2014Had a nice dinner. The table was ready when we got there. Made a special request in the reservation, but it wasn't paid attention to. The food at this place is always good and the price is pretty reasonable. Will surely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful presentations, excellentgarylDined on 3/19/2014Beautiful presentations, excellent food, great service, pleasant atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FIt Right InDinner4twoDined on 3/17/2014This restaurant seemed to fit right in with the atmosphere of Northfield Stapleton. It was vibrant yet kid-friendly. The food was delicious and our waiter was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lots of families on Saturday nightsMAXIMILIANDined on 3/15/2014Try somewhere else If you're looking for an intimate Saturday night dinner. Great during the week!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just OK...MexicanfoodLoverDined on 3/14/2014Made a reservation and still ended up waiting for 15 minutes. What's the point of a reservation? On top of that our group of 6 was sat at a 4-top with extra chairs, not sure why?! I don't know why the staff would do this knowing how gigantic their plates are when the good comes out and there was no room. Also, the service was slow, not really sure why considering the restaurant was packed and noisy and we saw staff running around. The good was decent, nothing special, like something you can get at a chain. The drinks were good, but for a tequila "bar" I would've expected to be able to choose mine in my margarita, again, nothing special here. Overall, it was okay.Special Features:
- The fresh made quac mixedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/8/2014The fresh made quac mixed right at the table was wonderful!Special Features: