395 Santa Monica Place, #305N
Santa Monica, CA 90401Neighborhood:
MexicanPrice: $30 and under
La Sandia - Santa Monica
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.richardsandoval.com/lasandiasm/
- Phone: (310) 393-3300
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Sunday: 11:30am - 4:00pm; Lunch: Daily: 11:30am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Daily 4pm - close
Happy Hour: Sunday-Friday All Night Happy Hour at the Tequila Bar and Lounge.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mexican
- Executive Chef: Eduardo Barrios
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: La Sandia offers a variety of semi-private and private dining experiences: host an intimate dinner at our Chef's table; celebrate with handcrafted cocktails on our outdoor patio, which features unparalleled views of the Promenade; progress from the Tequila Bar to a seated lunch or dinner in the dining room, where a retractable roof and open skies create a festive, courtyard setting. Our private event menus and Tequila Bar packages showcase the best of La Sandia's modern Mexican cuisine and cocktails. For details, contact our Private Event Manager or visit www.richardsandoval.com.
- Private Party Contact: Kandis Leigh 818-751-3053x
- Cross Street: Broadway Blvd & 3rd Street
- Public Transit: The Santa Monica Big Blue Bus and Rapid 3 stops regularly in front of the Santa Monica Place mall at the corner of 4th and Broadway. For full schedule and information, please visit: http://bigbluebus.com/busroutes/schedule.asp?bus_route=33&dayofweek=weekdays
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: conveniently
At La Sandia, internationally acclaimed Chef Richard Sandoval uses innovative culinary techniques and fresh, local ingredients to raise authentic Mexican recipes to new heights. Enjoy Chef Sandoval's modern Mexican flavors with selections from our Tequila Bar - we offer over 100 Tequilas and Mezcals, as well as handcrafted margaritas. Warm, Latin-inspired service will round out your experience. Buen provecho y salud!
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
- Good for a relaxed family lunch or dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 11/23/2014Very good for a nice relaxed family lunch or dinner, server was excellentSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good location and good foodgwgwVIPDined on 11/23/2014The food was good and service was as well. Being close to 3rd Street Promenade is an advantage but was not busy on a Sunday night so that was definitely a plus.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Salsa was amazing!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/22/2014Overall, a very good restaurant with not your run of the mill Mexican menu options. Lots of interesting and harder to find entrees and small bites, really good quality. I had one of the special "mole" dishes (they offer about 5-6 versions of mole), and it was quite tasty. The negatives: The chicken (under the mole sauce) was a bit dry, and the side dish of pureed beans was barely even visible on the plate, literally looked like it was a swatch of brown paint on the plate. I looked up at the waiter with an "are you kidding?" look, and he immediately returned with a small bowl of the beans, which were very good, but the plate should never have left the kitchen the way it arrived to my table. As for the drinks, I had a mojito at the suggestion of the waiter (who was very attentive), drink was in a small glass instead of the usual tall glass, and was about 75% ice, very little actual drink, and for the price not worth it. Would I go back? Yes, if nothing else for the salsa, a roasted tomato version, warm and delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a restaurant with nice interior decorFoodiefootieDined on 11/21/2014It's a beautiful restaurant at the roof top of the shopping mall. Next to many nice restaurant. The food was not as good as before by comparing the photos from other customers posted in Tripadvisor.com. Staff was pleasant and professional.Special Features:
- La Sandia el PrimoBXzillaDined on 10/18/2014The best traditional and eclectic mix of Mexican food. And the marguerites are great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty Food and friendly serviceluv2noshDined on 10/12/2014We have eaten here twice in the last month. The Mole Sauce is among the tasty with deep flavors. it is made with loving care. All the dishes are fresh and beautifully served. The wait staff is exceotionally friendly and that is in large part due to the attentiveness of the evening manager, Manuel. There is an active bar scene and a lively crowd.all in all a delightful place to ea dine. try it and you will beSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GREAT CUSTOMER SERVICEtookforEVERDined on 10/11/2014SERVER AND HOSTEST WERE VERY FRIENDLY AND FOOD COMES REALLY FAST. GREAT LOCATION AND REASONABLE PRICE. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.Special Features:
- Worst Food Ever!Foodiex2Dined on 10/8/2014The decor of this place draws you in and the salsa, chips, and tableside prepared guacamole were very good but that's where the good end! We had a group of 5 and not one plate came out hot or seemed very fresh. It was as if it was too pre-prepared with lacking flavors. Very disappointed!!
- Just awfulCrashtopherVIPDined on 10/3/2014I don't even know where to start. Weak margaritas, sour guac, watery salsa, fishy tasting shrimp, stale chips and the worst part is...it's hip decor and high-traffic/touristy location will keep it going for at least another 3 years. The good news is, there's a chipotle about three blocks away that has better cooked chicken, steak and tortillas than this place.
- Great service!Comingback25Dined on 9/25/2014I did a surprise party for my girlfriend and the staff was very supportive in making sure everything came out right. The food was delicious, the drinks were well made, and the environment was perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lisa HJerseyDined on 9/17/2014I have been to this restaurant several times and loved it. Unfortunately I did not enjoy it as much this visit. The food was OK but the orange margarita was not great. It may have just been an off night.Special Features:
- Vacation at homedrewdavenDined on 8/17/2014Great service and delicious food in a beautiful setting. I felt a million miles away while still near home!Special Features:
- Not sure but...FrequentDinerDined on 8/15/2014The food is very good. The guacamole is fresh, made at your table. The carnitas are lean and crispy. I however, would give the rice a "D". They have a large selection of tequilas. The place is HUGE and in a busy mall so the noise level is high even with high ceilings doorways opened to the mall. Probably because of its size, the service is a little on the slow side.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding FoodAshliDined on 8/2/2014The food was awesome, your service was amazing, and your bus boy even helps our table out with questions! Thank you for a memorable dinner in Santa Monica. It truly made our trip worthwhile.Special Features:
- Quiet, relaxing, good foodTPBRVIPDined on 8/2/2014The service was top-notch, and the restaurant is lovely and quiet. The food was very good...fresh tableside guacamole was nice, and my carnitas dish was very tender. The only food items we didn't care for were the beans that came with the carnitas and the chicken enchiladas (both too spicy but some folks may like them that way). Our server was attentive and overall we enjoyed it very much.I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 146 reviews are from the La Sandia - Santa Monica reviews archive.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/27/2014I went there for DIne L.A for lunch. and there were no menus printed out. Had to order from the regular menu
- AverageTravellerVIPDined on 7/17/2014Staff seemed disorganized on arrival. Wait staff were effective. Good guacamole. All else was average.
- Marvelous MexicanFitzyDined on 7/15/2014Our family loved La Sandia in Santa Monica so much we had dinner there two nights in a row! Outstanding Guacomole, fresh ingredients and icy cold Marghrettias. Service was excellent and the lively crowd added to the atmosphere. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Mexican foodJoleneVIPDined on 7/11/2014Loved all the watermelon (sandia) drinks! Really good guacamole too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the Best Mexican RestaurantsWestLAFoodieDined on 7/5/2014I say one of the best because I don't try all the Mexican restaurants in my area, but out of all that I've been to La Sandía is my favorite. Amazing margaritas, THE BEST guacamole and great food overall. The staff is always great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GoodcyberbeatnikDined on 6/10/2014The food is Mexican but with a little flair. The portions are fairy generous. I recommend the bar/cantina area over the main restaurant unless you want a quiet scene.
- tourist trapalilabelleVIPDined on 6/7/2014this place is a total tourist trap disguised as a pretty, interesting restaurant. i should of known that it would be since it is in santa monica place, but i took a chance. the chairs are way too short compared to the table. it seems silly but it made for a very awkward experience. the margaritas were really weak and the food just wasn't good. the guacamole was really bland. we were seated out on the patio and it was loud and felt like we were in the mall rather than the restaurant. they needed to section it off with some greenery or something. all in all, there are about 100 better mexican restaurants on the westside that i'd rather go to.Special Features:
- great place!ObieDined on 5/30/2014This is one of our "go to" for great Mexican food! Perfect environment for kids and adults. Great bar. Fun atmosphere. Food is delicious. Try the guac!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointed at the foodMyMelodyDined on 5/18/2014Service was excellent but the food was really disappointing. We went for brunch and the portions were small. I ordered am omelet and it came out looking like a taquito. With no sides. The guacamole was really good but overall I won't go back there. It was an 11 dollar overpriced omelet and it didn't even taste good. :(Special Features:
- La SandiaOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/17/2014Nice Mexican Restaurant with good food. Service was efficient and food arrive in a good amount of time. Restaurant seems to cater to a lot of large groups so it can be noisy if they are hosting a bunch of groups at one time. Reservation is suggested as it is in the middle of the main mall/shopping area in santa monica.Special Features:
- Enjoyed a Mother's Day Eve dinnerMannyDined on 5/10/2014We enjoyed our meal like always, The kids have food they enjoy and wife and I can experiment with other items or order from our known favorites. The Pacifico Guacamole was great, spicy and sweet. At first there was a confusion and there wasn't a waiter for our table, but when we were ready to order I called over a passing waiter and he was more than pleasant about adding us to his tables and took good care of us from then.Special Features:
- Good Food Slow ServiceAfroPixPhotoDined on 5/2/2014Recommended by a UCLA doctor so we decided to try it. Salsa was excellent! Food was pretty good. We waited over 30 mins for our order to be taken and about another 30 for the food. Our appetizer arrived after the entree which was wierd. Otherwise good flavors.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Who knew?HungryHippoVIPDined on 4/27/2014Who knew a meal at the mall could be so...good? Seriously some of the best service we've experienced. Food is good, albeit a little overpriced, but gladly pay knowing that I'm being taken care of.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 4/25/2014Overall the food was good, but the portions were incredibly small, making everything overpriced. Don't think we'll be going back.Special Features:
- Great happy hourOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 4/25/2014The margaritas are great and happy hour deals in the bar area are well worth it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our favorite spot!BobSVIPDined on 4/18/2014We dine at La Sandia each time we visit California to see our son. Whether it's for drinks and guacamole or a full dinner, we enjoy it every time. The food is excellent and the margaritas even better!!! The staff is very friendly and accommodating! Will definitely be returning the next time we are in town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gourmet MexicanPlayfulTastebudVIPDined on 3/31/2014I had wanted to try La Sandia for awhile and when a Travelzoo came up, I jumped on it. The food was delicious and the drinks quite yummy!Special Features:
- Host was rude. My food wassmgirl82Dined on 3/29/2014Host was rude. My food was burned and the drinks were terrible. I will not be returning.
- Save your money.westsidefoodieDined on 3/23/2014Hostess was unfriendly and inconsiderate of reservation time. Was not welcoming. Bartender was okay, but others helping were really of no help. Slow service. Guac was awesome - about the only good thing from my experience. Wait staff was mediocre. Looked like he'd rather be somewhere else. Food was good...but there are way many more places to choose from than this spot. Save your money.
- ServicemshotmexDined on 3/22/2014The service was absolutely wonderful. It's always a plearsure when excellant service is given.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love the foodOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/22/2014I've been here many times and the food is consistently fresh and delicious. Each time I bring new friends here they love it too. Great atmosphere. I prefer sitting in the back of the restaurant rather than by the front by the bar. Can't go wrong here. Excellent margaritas too.Special Features:
- Great for drinks and guacamolereviewerVIPDined on 3/16/2014The drinks and guacamole are outstanding here. I can't really recommend the food here. We went for brunch and shared the shrimp fajitas, the breakfast fajitas, and the chopped salad. The fajitas weren't sizzling when they were taken out and the meat portion is small, and not of great quality. The shrimp in the shrimp fajitas are more like cocktail shrimp, they are so small! I will be back, but only for the quacamole and the margaritas. The restaurant itself is beautiful with great outdoor seating and an indoor/outdoor feeling throughout the restaurant. The architecture is that of a Mexican garden.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Blast!Luv4foodDined on 3/14/2014I had my birthday party dinner there and it was amazing. The way they set up the food was great. The only thing I didn't like was that they would forget some of the meals and take 10-15 minutes to bring it to us afyer everyone else got there's. Overall I recommend this restaraunt.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pre show dinnerTournesolDined on 3/8/2014Enjoyed a great pre Cirque du Soleil show dinner. Waitress was nice but drink order arrived after appetizers and had to reiterate the drink orders. Overall a great spot for lunch or dinner, close to the Pier. Food quality was ok. Great guacamole freshly made at your table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, better locationradmanVIPDined on 3/7/2014You can get far better Mexican food for a lot less money. But you wouldn't be up on the dining deck at Santa Monica Place, blocks from the Pier, Promenade, and the beach. And what you are spending for is perfectly good generic Mexican food. But if you want your meal to be really good, and more authentic, head east young man. And what you spend on gas will be less than what you save on the food, too.I would recommend this to a friend.